[BL Webdrama] Men with Sword 刺客列传

IMOmusings

This is the translation of the BGM.  I think the title means "Resolve upon observing the moon" or something.  There's some Han Viet in the Viet translations so I kind of wing it.  Hopefully it's not too wrong.  :))  I translated it because it reminds me of BinKan.

A night of endless drizzling
In the cold air, the floating moon shined on the person's silhouette
Lingering as one sending another on their way
And even the kite in the night is still waiting for the beat of the drum
Outside the fortress, an abandoned landscape
Horses runs in disarray 
Fire doesn't stops burning
Putting on this armor
One time of entanglement
The wind and sand swept away so much longing
The chaotic world in wind and snow
Swing of the sword on one hand then turn around
As human's fate was determined by the heaven
Under the moonlight, ink painted on paper all turned out to be the image of your face
Following a thousand years 
The moon is like a crescent jade hanging on the waist
Fated for half of our lives
at a blink of an eye became forgotten causing our hearts to bleed
Cicadas under the leaves, kites on the water, the ever changing life
Cicadas under the leaves, kites on the water, farewell to those days

Outside the fortress, an abandoned landscape
Horses runs in disarray 
Fire doesn't stops burning
Putting on this armor
One time of entanglement
The wind and sand swept away how much longing
A hero in a chaotic world
Sword lost by beauty
Turn around, winning or losing is up to the heaven
Under the moonlight, ink painted on paper all turned out to be the image of your face
Fated for half our lives
Cicadas under the leaves, kites on the water, the ever changing life
Cicadas under the leaves, kites on the water, farewell to those days
In hopelessness, there's sound of the person yearning for me, calling for my soul
That day quietly listening to the running stream
Fated for half our lives
Cicadas under the leaves, kites on the water, the peaceful shore
Cicadas under the leaves, kites on the water, I forge my will

1 hour ago, outsanity said:

Bin is too guided/blinded by his feelings for Kan :c Maybe Kan was bad luck for Bin from the start at the solar eclipse haha. Well, market manipulation itself is a great scheme, but like I've been saying, this series doesn't go too deep with the plots. It's more of a "yeah, it just works, so accept it" kind of deal. I mean, the dude plays his flute with a sword inside it and it's just not how you physic. 

Mustache is reasonable. He's not wrong to be presumptuous, though. Generally speaking, no one would really suspect Kan to be loyal because of his father's passing word. TBH, I think Murong just wants a good king on the Supreme throne, but that's my bias because he's my favorite character. 

It literally happens every other time they end up in each other's arms, though... Everyone faints everywhere. Kind of gets repetitive ,_, I actually really wish that Bin & Kan had more "real" scenes of romance instead of pseudo-quasi fall into each other's arms BS xD; 

I also think that I enjoy Navy/Red's relationship from the start because they have such real life chemistry. I vaguely remember that I didn't even like Murong that much until he began interacting with Navy. >.> Just like how you want more Ian/Evan, I need more shows with JZ/CJ together, LOL. 

I don't think Kan's father's debt to Bin's father is really the reason why he's loyal to Bin.  Kan loves Bin too so he stuck around and Bin doesn't treat Kan badly like how those recruited wanted to paint Bin in front of Kan.  Mustache doesn't know the depth of their relationship but he talks like he does.  I rolled my eyeball at his higher moral ground lecture to Bin.  I was like dude, the fellow was in love and irrational.  Of course he acted with emotions and made those mistakes.  What would Mustache know when he lead a lonely life?  He ain't got no pretty boy by his side.  But I appreciate him for being so willing to talk calmly with someone he just defeated.  I think Mustache can be a good king and he seems to have good people under him.  

But Red Robe will be the final winner.  I can also see Red Robe being a good king.  He seems intelligent and scheming and I think he has enough pawns under his fingernails to set the stage for conquest or world domination or whatever.  The world is his oyster.  :))  And Mustache, Navy Robe, and the rest of the gang who are still alive are suckers who will be played like fools.  He played my White Robe couple pretty good too.  If it wasn't for those hand written letters things wouldn't be so bad.  It would only be half bad.  :))

I just wish they have balls and gave me some real BL scenes.  :))  Seriously, they have a good looking cast.  It's really irritating to see them wasted with half-@$$ romance.  I don't know about you but it grated my nerve to no end.  But at least for you there's a second season full of goodness waiting for your couple.  :))  There's a good chance they will up the ante and do some real deal (whatever that means.)  *ahem*  I know that there ain't no way that Evan and Ian will be in another BL but your pair is different.  They have possibilities.  

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

I don't think Kan's father's debt to Bin's father is really the reason why he's loyal to Bin.  Kan loves Bin too so he stuck around and Bin doesn't treat Kan badly like how those recruited wanted to paint Bin in front of Kan.  Mustache doesn't know the depth of their relationship but he talks like he does.  I rolled my eyeball at his higher moral ground lecture to Bin.  I was like dude, the fellow was in love and irrational.  Of course he acted with emotions and made those mistakes.  What would Mustache know when he lead a lonely life?  He ain't got no pretty boy by his side.  But I appreciate him for being so willing to talk calmly with someone he just defeated.  I think Mustache can be a good king and he seems to have good people under him.  

But Red Robe will be the final winner.  I can also see Red Robe being a good king.  He seems intelligent and scheming and I think he has enough pawns under his fingernails to set the stage for conquest or world domination or whatever.  The world is his oyster.  :))  And Mustache, Navy Robe, and the rest of the gang who are still alive are suckers who will be played like fools.  He played my White Robe couple pretty good too.  If it wasn't for those hand written letters things wouldn't be so bad.  It would only be half bad.  :))

I just wish they have balls and gave me some real BL scenes.  :))  Seriously, they have a good looking cast.  It's really irritating to see them wasted with half-@$$ romance.  I don't know about you but it grated my nerve to no end.  But at least for you there's a second season full of goodness waiting for your couple.  :))  There's a good chance they will up the ante and do some real deal (whatever that means.)  *ahem*  I know that there ain't no way that Evan and Ian will be in another BL but your pair is different.  They have possibilities.  

Ooh. This opens up another thought: What if Kan appeared so reluctant (yet he wants Bin, so it's kind of like massively subdued feelings) because he knew Bin would act irrationally and in love if he was by Bin's side. Because let's admit it, Bin turned from scheme-y ambitious king-wannabe into an emotional lover who freaking fell for that kindergarten market-ploy. I personally think Kan was in love with Bin, as in the wounded but handsome guy he found in the forest but not Emperor Bin, the guy who kind of manipulated-forced him to stay by his side. Honestly, I didn't take Mustache's lecture that seriously - I figured he just wanted to gloat and rub some salt into Bin's wound, so he said the worse things he could have said. 

Murong is definitely smart enough to be king, but I feel like he's a king-maker rather than a king. He strikes me as really tired - of the world, of everything. Besides, his country was never that big in the first place and it's been demolished - even if he manages to command a lot of power due to advising another king, there's really no way for him to be a king unless Mustache gives him a country and he later rebels (I have a feeling Mustache would rather kill him than give him a country despite his offer, lol).

My bet's on Navy (with Red's help) being the final winner and Red dying after Navy wins. I do look forward to season 2, so very much. Feels like CJ and ZJ are both newbie actors, so it's unlikely that they'll be too busy to work together + they'll probably be invited back for S2, being key characters of S1 and all. 

Right!? It grated my nerves as well. They half-assed everything and though it makes a whole, it's sort of like -ugh. Clearly, the story is driven by character dynamics and clearly they wanted the viewers to feel the BL given how they market it - except, where is the BL!? Like other than characters fainting into each other, or these random touches everywhere, there isn't really any romance. It actually kind of bothered me how characters are randomly touching each other for fanservice. [It especially didn't make sense when Kan and Kunyi did the hand-holding/hand-swap thing, when Gongsun randomly caresses Murong...etc] It disrupted the flow of storytelling, but y'know, I don't feel justified complaining about fanservice, so yeah. One more thing to overlook xD

5 hours ago, IMOmusings said:

The perfect ending for me would have all the assassins dying and the swords resurrecting them. Didn't the first assassin get put into a coffin that preserved his body?

true. i mean, they didn't tell much about the swords, more to political things.

by the way, this scene that we saw in the bts before. i guess it's when kan began to stay in palace (?)

18 hours ago, outsanity said:

Ooh. This opens up another thought: What if Kan appeared so reluctant (yet he wants Bin, so it's kind of like massively subdued feelings) because he knew Bin would act irrationally and in love if he was by Bin's side. Because let's admit it, Bin turned from scheme-y ambitious king-wannabe into an emotional lover who freaking fell for that kindergarten market-ploy. I personally think Kan was in love with Bin, as in the wounded but handsome guy he found in the forest but not Emperor Bin, the guy who kind of manipulated-forced him to stay by his side. Honestly, I didn't take Mustache's lecture that seriously - I figured he just wanted to gloat and rub some salt into Bin's wound, so he said the worse things he could have said. 

Murong is definitely smart enough to be king, but I feel like he's a king-maker rather than a king. He strikes me as really tired - of the world, of everything. Besides, his country was never that big in the first place and it's been demolished - even if he manages to command a lot of power due to advising another king, there's really no way for him to be a king unless Mustache gives him a country and he later rebels (I have a feeling Mustache would rather kill him than give him a country despite his offer, lol).

My bet's on Navy (with Red's help) being the final winner and Red dying after Navy wins. I do look forward to season 2, so very much. Feels like CJ and ZJ are both newbie actors, so it's unlikely that they'll be too busy to work together + they'll probably be invited back for S2, being key characters of S1 and all. 

Right!? It grated my nerves as well. They half-assed everything and though it makes a whole, it's sort of like -ugh. Clearly, the story is driven by character dynamics and clearly they wanted the viewers to feel the BL given how they market it - except, where is the BL!? Like other than characters fainting into each other, or these random touches everywhere, there isn't really any romance. It actually kind of bothered me how characters are randomly touching each other for fanservice. [It especially didn't make sense when Kan and Kunyi did the hand-holding/hand-swap thing, when Gongsun randomly caresses Murong...etc] It disrupted the flow of storytelling, but y'know, I don't feel justified complaining about fanservice, so yeah. One more thing to overlook xD

I don't have a problem with Bin allowing Green Robe's merchants to do business with his people.  It's a reasonable thing to do because countries don't live in a bubble.  The problem here is that in the world of men with sword these countries must live in a bubble.  It's a problematic notion because it shows how dysfunctional this world is.  The rich country stays rich because they have abundant resources.  The poor country stay poor because they're lacking in resources and they don't do any business trading with other countries because doing that would invite disaster like the ridiculous fox skin and feathers scheme.  *ahem* yeah.  

You kind of wonder how they survive in isolation or how they remain self sufficient especially with the countries that lack resources.  And the fact that the story was written to use such a simple scheme to trigger the downfall of White Robe is utterly ridiculous.  They completely over simplified this situation.  Food is a staple that is put on a table in everyday life.  How did the people suddenly realize that oh there ain't no more food because we've been spending too much time selling fox skins and feather?  So what have they been eating while doing that?  Tree bark?  And then there's serious administration problems.  I know it's a new country but a hierarchy must be in place and while we have officials in the palace, there must be some kind of local officials to overlook situations in other parts of the country, the important things like food productions for example if that is what White Robe struggles with.  

It feels as if those officials standing in the palace don't do anything other than telling Bin that Kan is bad for him.  Were they sleeping while the food shortage issue arise until the point where Kan had to propose to fight another country for food?  This is another silly idea too.  Again the idea of fighting a war is over simplified and that somehow it would be okay to go in and win quick and rob some food.  Hey because Kan took 5 fortresses in 5 days.  *ahem*  Seriously,  I still haven't yet gotten over that.  Where is the reality of war?  And it got more ridiculous.  White Robe lost 70k troops.  Now exactly how much money and food do they have to supply for that big number of troops?  And if they have that much money and food why did they have to go fight the war?  

But then it got better.  After Kan lost, Bin already got a solution.  White Robe still has money to spend to purchase food from other nations (who knows who) even with high prices.  Why didn't he just do that in the first place?  So all those ridiculous plot devices was just to rid of Kan from the palace and none of it made a damn sense because after that White Robe's was all well and good again.  :)))  Like we never had a food shortage problem.  Man who wrote these things.  :)))

Mustache's speech I have problem with is how he insinuate that Bin's distrust in Kan triggered his downfall.  In other words, if Kan didn't go fight him but instead went fight Green Robe maybe things were all good.  But Mustache didn't know about the emotional entanglement these two share is what I meant.  When I said irrational I meant Bin felt somewhat jealous that Kan took Red Robe's info and use the info to make his decisions.  Partly the reason why Bin did not agree to Kan's decision was because Bin did not like how Kan and Red Robe had this letters things back and forth.  His emotions got in the way.  But that is not to say I think Kan's idea of fighting any country for food is any good.  And I think Red Robe certainly knew what he was doing.  By purposely sending these letter to Kan, he drove a wedge into the BinKan's relationship.  It didn't destroy their relationship but it stirred insecurity in the heart of Bin.  Kan kept his distance and concealed his feelings due to the lord servant differences in hierarchy.  It wasn't because of anything else.  He always had this "I'm not worthy" look.  :))

Maybe Navy Robe will play an important role because he's also a main character.  I don't know.  I don't have much of an impression with his character and it felt like his character served as a comic relief than anything else or is my impression wrong?  

I know that the friendship of the 4 followers is supposed to be important and everything so they dedicated some eps for it.  But it feels as if there isn't a whole lot coming out of that friendship.  It didn't make much of a difference.  They met and they made some promise on alliance but nothing came out of it aside from betrayal because one has to be Judas.  So it makes me wonder what was all the hoopla about these guys meeting and making vows or whatnot.  I mean it's almost irrelevant.  And of course the weirdest thing is the strange fanservice like you said.  :))

I agree with you that the one thing that drives this drama is the dynamics and interactions between the couples.  That's basically the only reason I watched it for.  I will be generous with my grading.

Story:  5/10

Acting:  8/10

Visual of cast:  10/10

Special effects and things:  7/10

@Shinobu

They might've been tiny fortresses located right next to each other, with a domino effect ... no, nevermind, let's just chalk it up as things we must ignore to enjoy the story.

The minute the evil priest guy allowed Gongsun to escape, I feel as if Bin should've exert his authority and got rid of him. The thing that caused Kan to lose 70,000 troops was stupid, too. If his men were so divided, no good general would've went to war before resolving everything. 

I really just didn't bother to take the schemes seriously enough to ... take it seriously. >< I was kind of just "Okay. It somehow worked. Fine. Whatever." It just doesn't feel worth my time to even wonder how people fell for those schemes. I don't think Red Robes sent it to drive a wedge into BinKan ; he simply sent tidbits of information to everyone to confuse everyone and make everyone up their game.

I don't like the idea of Kan keeping his distance because he feels so unworthy :[ I feel like he has more confidence than that and I feel like he just wasn't that into Lord Bin. And uncomfortable about how hard Lord Bin is pushing. We will not mention how he suddenly and randomly has the courage to reach for Bin's face and furrowed eyebrows though. Then again, I am reading more Kan/Bin fanfictions than Bin/Kan ones (I will ignore what Bin/Evan said, because CJ/Murong also said he likes Murong/ZhiMing (as opposed to ZhiMing/Murong) and ... lol) 

Plot (the ideas in itself): 8.5/10
Plot (execution, depth and realism of the schemes): 4.5/10
Acting: 7/10
Visual Appeal: 9001/10
Character & Character Dynamics: 9001/10

@Shinobu

They might've been tiny fortresses located right next to each other, with a domino effect ... no, nevermind, let's just chalk it up as things we must ignore to enjoy the story.

The minute the evil priest guy allowed Gongsun to escape, I feel as if Bin should've exert his authority and got rid of him. The thing that caused Kan to lose 70,000 troops was stupid, too. If his men were so divided, no good general would've went to war before resolving everything. 

I really just didn't bother to take the schemes seriously enough to ... take it seriously. >< I was kind of just "Okay. It somehow worked. Fine. Whatever." It just doesn't feel worth my time to even wonder how people fell for those schemes. I don't think Red Robes sent it to drive a wedge into BinKan ; he simply sent tidbits of information to everyone to confuse everyone and make everyone up their game.

I don't like the idea of Kan keeping his distance because he feels so unworthy :[ I feel like he has more confidence than that and I feel like he just wasn't that into Lord Bin. And uncomfortable about how hard Lord Bin is pushing. We will not mention how he suddenly and randomly has the courage to reach for Bin's face and furrowed eyebrows though. Then again, I am reading more Kan/Bin fanfictions than Bin/Kan ones (I will ignore what Bin/Evan said, because CJ/Murong also said he likes Murong/ZhiMing (as opposed to ZhiMing/Murong) and ... lol) 

Plot (the ideas in itself): 8.5/10
Plot (execution, depth and realism of the schemes): 4.5/10
Acting: 7/10
Visual Appeal: 9001/10
Character & Character Dynamics: 9001/10

Kan is confident but he isn't like that in front of lord Bin.  And it's written in this way which I do like.  Bin is Kan's weakness so he only show his lack of self confidence in front of Bin.  The brow scene is an exception which I do like.  Kan can use a little more flirting.  It felt something like an uncontrolled reaction, a bit out of character but charming.  As for Bin, he can be temperamental and mean to others but with Kan he's soft sweet and caring.  They only have each other in their eyes.  I really like this dynamic.

I think Red Robe has his intentions and it may be in layers even.  He  may want the others to kill each other or he may want them to fall out with each other.  He wanted Kan to work for him.  Well, everyone wanted Kan to work  for them, be it Mustache, Blue or Scholar.  But unfortunately Kan belongs to Bin.  The only way to take Kan from Bin is to cause tensions between them.  First creating trust then created suspicion.  All the while, badmouthing Bin in front of Kan, like how Bin is not treating Kan right why still continue to be loyal.  Even before Kan killed himself, he kept asking the same question.  Then Kan had to say it was because of his father's will.  He should have said because I love him but that would be too clear and Kan isn't the type to express those things, not in front of anybody.  :))

I find it kind of funny how Red Robe was the one who basically told on Blue and Scholar so that Kan went and took 5 fortresses from Green Robe.  Then Blue came and Kan almost took him hostage.  But when they met it was all like buddy buddy.  Like hey yeah I took 5 fortresses from your country and stuff and I almost took you hostage but no hard feelings.  We can be friends, good friends even.  All the while Red Robe acts like he ain't got nothing to do with anything.  :))  And I'm sure when push comes to shove, they would turn around the kill each other for their lords.

I share the same feelings about the visual appeal of the cast and their dynamics.  It's the best thing about this drama.  And I dare say some of the stunts aren't half bad.  They had some good falling off horse scenes.  Then there's a matrix style scene with Kan too.  :))

36 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

Kan is confident but he isn't like that in front of lord Bin.  And it's written in this way which I do like.  Bin is Kan's weakness so he only show his lack of self confidence in front of Bin.  The brow scene is an exception which I do like.  Kan can use a little more flirting.  It felt something like an uncontrolled reaction, a bit out of character but charming.  As for Bin, he can be temperamental and mean to others but with Kan he's soft sweet and caring.  They only have each other in their eyes.  I really like this dynamic.

I think Red Robe has his intentions and it may be in layers even.  He  may want the others to kill each other or he may want them to fall out with each other.  He wanted Kan to work for him.  Well, everyone wanted Kan to work  for them, be it Mustache, Blue or Scholar.  But unfortunately Kan belongs to Bin.  The only way to take Kan from Bin is to cause tensions between them.  First creating trust then created suspicion.  All the while, badmouthing Bin in front of Kan, like how Bin is not treating Kan right why still continue to be loyal.  Even before Kan killed himself, he kept asking the same question.  Then Kan had to say it was because of his father's will.  He should have said because I love him but that would be too clear and Kan isn't the type to express those things, not in front of anybody.  :))

I find it kind of funny how Red Robe was the one who basically told on Blue and Scholar so that Kan went and took 5 fortresses from Green Robe.  Then Blue came and Kan almost took him hostage.  But when they met it was all like buddy buddy.  Like hey yeah I took 5 fortresses from your country and stuff and I almost took you hostage but no hard feelings.  We can be friends, good friends even.  All the while Red Robe acts like he ain't got nothing to do with anything.  :))  And I'm sure when push comes to shove, they would turn around the kill each other for their lords.

I share the same feelings about the visual appeal of the cast and their dynamics.  It's the best thing about this drama.  And I dare say some of the stunts aren't half bad.  They had some good falling off horse scenes.  Then there's a matrix style scene with Kan too.  :))

Oh, I love the scene where Kan flirts - it was just really random, lol. I like a different dynamic, more angst-y more tension-filled interpretation of Kan/Bin, which is also quite popular in the fanfictions, so I'm pretty darn happy. I'm not fond of he-loves-him & him-loves-he sweet stories. c: I like angst, backstory, tension, misunderstandings, clashes... yeah xP 

Oh yeah. Everyone wanted Kan -- I found it ?? that he's some kind of hermit and then suddenly he's military prodigy of the century? It kinda takes some experience to lead 70,000 soldier army or, er, take down 5 fortresses in 5 days. 

I found it even funnier that an alliance between 4 countries was sealed by a team handshake, a cry of "Alliance!" and all the other countries other than Red&Navy's country just handed their military power to Kan. Oh my god, if only history went down this way. Sure, we've been at war and ruined each other's economy/fortresses but since there's another enemy, you can just have my army :~D  Did I tell you? When Blue&Yellow (or was it Kan&Yellow?) did that swords crossed into a big X thing, I actually had to pause the video and laugh my head off. 

I'm still so glad they picked ChaJie&ZhuJiang for the dynamics of Red/Navy - the real life dynamics that the actors have with one another that got reflected in the show (Murong/CJ's uncontrollable tiny cracked smiles, etc) is really what addicts me to this pairing. 

The stunts are cool. Pretty good choreography.  - I've felt bad for Kan's horse since the beginning though - he stepped on its head flying off to Bin's rescue. That looked painful. 

18 hours ago, outsanity said:

Oh, I love the scene where Kan flirts - it was just really random, lol. I like a different dynamic, more angst-y more tension-filled interpretation of Kan/Bin, which is also quite popular in the fanfictions, so I'm pretty darn happy. I'm not fond of he-loves-him & him-loves-he sweet stories. c: I like angst, backstory, tension, misunderstandings, clashes... yeah xP 

Oh yeah. Everyone wanted Kan -- I found it ?? that he's some kind of hermit and then suddenly he's military prodigy of the century? It kinda takes some experience to lead 70,000 soldier army or, er, take down 5 fortresses in 5 days. 

I found it even funnier that an alliance between 4 countries was sealed by a team handshake, a cry of "Alliance!" and all the other countries other than Red&Navy's country just handed their military power to Kan. Oh my god, if only history went down this way. Sure, we've been at war and ruined each other's economy/fortresses but since there's another enemy, you can just have my army :~D  Did I tell you? When Blue&Yellow (or was it Kan&Yellow?) did that swords crossed into a big X thing, I actually had to pause the video and laugh my head off. 

I'm still so glad they picked ChaJie&ZhuJiang for the dynamics of Red/Navy - the real life dynamics that the actors have with one another that got reflected in the show (Murong/CJ's uncontrollable tiny cracked smiles, etc) is really what addicts me to this pairing. 

The stunts are cool. Pretty good choreography.  - I've felt bad for Kan's horse since the beginning though - he stepped on its head flying off to Bin's rescue. That looked painful. 

Lucky you that you have tons of fics to read.  I read a few but they aren't enough to satisfy my withdrawal.  I'm all for angst too.  But I want Kan to be the one confessing to Bin.  I was waiting for Kan to flirt back for a while because the tension and angst was forming within his mental state under those puppy eyes.  Then those puppy eyes climaxed and upgraded to longing eyes in ep 8 when Bin put on the armor for him.  It was wonderful.  :))  Kan certainly can be a bit more aggressive but I guess it would be out of character for him in his inferior status or whatever he's feeling.  I really wish they allow scenes with them smiling more in relaxing atmosphere.  They need a side story for BinKan.  Seriously.

I think the reason why Kan was able to take 5 fortresses in 5 days was because they probably only have 10 guards in each fortress.  :))  And he had like 30k so if he divided in 5 that makes it 6k troops per fortress.  The impression I get from Green Robe is that their warfare skills don't worth a damn and that if White Robe ever want to poke it it would fall over.  This should explains how Kan won so easily.  :))  Let's stop thinking about the logic of it all.  It hurts my head.

Heck, the alliance of these 4 swordsmen was a sham and this piece of plot was just for show.  It didn't go anywhere and they didn't aid each other.  To be honest, they could have left it out and it would make no difference to the plot.  :))  Don't you think?  The whole we were enemies but now we're friends gave me weird vibes.  And it didn't help when nothing good came out of it and no one helped no one.  =_=

I heard that the writer or the director really likes the guy who plays Red Robe.  Is that true?  I think they did a good job with making the cast look older than they do in real life.  When you see them in real life, they look so much younger and shorter/smaller.  :))  That guy who plays Navy Robe looks pretty young and others too.  I was like how come they look more like men in the drama but now that I see them in real life they look like little boys.  :))

Oh, about the horse in that part, I thought it was fake.  :))

1 hour ago, Shinobu said:

Lucky you that you have tons of fics to read.  I read a few but they aren't enough to satisfy my withdrawal.  I'm all for angst too.  But I want Kan to be the one confessing to Bin.  I was waiting for Kan to flirt back for a while because the tension and angst was forming within his mental state under those puppy eyes.  Then those puppy eyes climaxed and upgraded to longing eyes in ep 8 when Bin put on the armor for him.  It was wonderful.  :))  Kan certainly can be a bit more aggressive but I guess it would be out of character for him in his inferior status or whatever he's feeling.  I really wish they allow scenes with them smiling more in relaxing atmosphere.  They need a side story for BinKan.  Seriously.

I think the reason why Kan was able to take 5 fortresses in 5 days was because they probably only have 10 guards in each fortress.  :))  And he had like 30k so if he divided in 5 that makes it 6k troops per fortress.  The impression I get from Green Robe is that their warfare skills don't worth a damn and that if White Robe ever want to poke it it would fall over.  This should explains how Kan won so easily.  :))  Let's stop thinking about the logic of it all.  It hurts my head.

Heck, the alliance of these 4 swordsmen was a sham and this piece of plot was just for show.  It didn't go anywhere and they didn't aid each other.  To be honest, they could have left it out and it would make no difference to the plot.  :))  Don't you think?  The whole we were enemies but now we're friends gave me weird vibes.  And it didn't help when nothing good came out of it and no one helped no one.  =_=

I heard that the writer or the director really likes the guy who plays Red Robe.  Is that true?  I think they did a good job with making the cast look older than they do in real life.  When you see them in real life, they look so much younger and shorter/smaller.  :))  That guy who plays Navy Robe looks pretty young and others too.  I was like how come they look more like men in the drama but now that I see them in real life they look like little boys.  :))

Oh, about the horse in that part, I thought it was fake.  :))

Oh yeah, I do have a bunch of fanfictions to read, haha. Bin/Kan/Bin is a massively popular pairing. I don't see Kan as aggressive, but I really like it when he's taking care of Bin and taking initiative - And seesh, Bin is always getting hurt one way or another anyway. I still don't see that much chemistry between Ian and Evan and I can complain all day about the on-screen Bin/Kan, but the K/B/K fanfictions are pretty good. Kan probably just have some kind of inferiority complex (which I don't find endearing at all, sadly) - in terms of status, he's on par with the other 4 advisers and all of them are pretty darn confident about themselves. I don't find it cute that Kan just go flops when he's with Bin and Bin goes hardcore flirting mode xD The dynamics feels forced, oops.

Heck, let's just make it abandoned fortresses. Then it'd make perfect sense. 

Yeah, it really went nowhere. The alliance thing was probably just for visual effects. And well, it also shows Gongsun's intelligence in the way that he invited them to Red's fallen empire to warn them about impending doom if they don't ally together. ...And it gave Gongsun a chance to hit on angsty Red which makes it more heartbreaking when Red kills Gongsun, so OK. 

Hm, I'm not sure about that, but Red did gain a bit of popularity because his character was SO darn pretty (and his fighting scene was really cool). People call him "Little Angel Girl". The cast look very young in real life because they are very young. Ian is 19, CJ (Red)  is 22..etc. xD Oldest is probably ZJ (Navy), who is 25. 

No animals were hurt, I bet. But I still went oww. 

25 minutes ago, Sharifa Jalaron said:

Hi.. Im new here.. I become a member a few days ago.

Im a fan of men with sword since its trailer come out first, i been looking for its summary and characters detail.. Would you guys share it with me 

Oh, welcome! Nice to meet you. I think it's on the first page. The summary is basically 4 kings and their adviser plotting against each other and trying to sabotage each other. Then a 5th king rises and stuff happens. Can't help with character details, as I don't even remember the names half the time and just refer to them by their clothes color. But there's a pretty solid list on the first page. 

19 hours ago, Sharifa Jalaron said:

Thanks.. I watch all ep 01-30 .. Will there be season 2?

I wonder what will happen to Murong  and who is this 5th king.. Was he good or bad!!..

Not sure. ZhuJian said in this livestream that their boss will make a season 2 if Season 1 exceeds 5 billion views? It's currently at 2.9 billion (at tv.sohu where it's mainly hosted - but you need to be VIP for episode 22-30, so I just watch it on Youtube but go on sohu to give it a few views lol.) 

I personally don't think anyone is good or bad haha. Closest you get to a "good" character is Gongsun or Kan, who is loyal, heroic and smart.

@Sharifa Jalaron

Welcome to Men With Sword! It's a fun drama to watch and cringe at haha. There are tons of amazing fan edited mvs, fanart, etc. that makes watching this drama fun. But, don't expect any major important back story to be explained yet, even by episode 30... (in terms of the swords and certain people's background/relationships). We don't really know what Murong's goal is even in episode 30 and then more unanswered questions appear. 

2 hours ago, outsanity said:

Not sure. ZhuJian said in this livestream that their boss will make a season 2 if Season 1 exceeds 5 billion views? It's currently at 2.9 billion (at tv.sohu where it's mainly hosted - but you need to be VIP for episode 22-30, so I just watch it on Youtube but go on sohu to give it a few views lol.) 

I personally don't think anyone is good or bad haha. Closest you get to a "good" character is Gongsun or Kan, who is loyal, heroic and smart.

Season 2 most likely will happen since the story is in no way complete. I think in Ian's(Qi Zhi Kan) live stream recently, he mentioned how they might be filming season 2 in February, but he doesn't know if he is in it or not. He'll need to wait till the script is out or something.  

This is a drama where each character is loyal to their own country/king/self, which could be in conflict with other people's interests. There is no evil character per say like in other dramas. Multiple times, throughout the interactions of characters from different countries, they mention themselves that if they weren't from/loyal to their country, and of another time, they could have been friends, etc. 

There are other characters who are "evil" in the sense that they prioritize their own position over the well-being of the country etc., but other than that we don't have a strict good vs. bad theme going on in this drama. 

5 minutes ago, elliezsnow said:

Season 2 most likely will happen since the story is in no way complete. I think in Ian's(Qi Zhi Kan) live stream recently, he mentioned how they might be filming season 2 in February, but he doesn't know if he is in it or not. He'll need to wait till the script is out or something.  

This is a drama where each character is loyal to their own country/king/self, which could be in conflict with other people's interests. There is no evil character per say like in other dramas. Multiple times, throughout the interactions of characters from different countries, they mention themselves that if they weren't from/loyal to their country, and of another time, they could have been friends, etc. 

There are other characters who are "evil" in the sense that they prioritize their own position over the well-being of the country etc., but other than that we don't have a strict good vs. bad theme going on in this drama. 

Yeah, but webseries happen for a profit - if they don't get enough viewership or profit from the series, there's no saying that they won't just drop it. I sincerely hope it continues, though. I really wish the schemes were more realistic but for what it's worth, it's a great show.

One can easily argue that Gongsun and Zhi Kan are fundamentally "better people" than, say Kunyi or Murong. Then again, there really is no good and evil in this show. It's just people being people - some people are more selfish is all.  

Just wondering, are there any similar shows? Mostly male cast, fantasy world, and fighting scenes?

1 hour ago, elliezsnow said:

@Sharifa Jalaron

Welcome to Men With Sword! It's a fun drama to watch and cringe at haha. There are tons of amazing fan edited mvs, fanart, etc. that makes watching this drama fun. But, don't expect any major important back story to be explained yet, even by episode 30... (in terms of the swords and certain people's background/relationships). We don't really know what Murong's goal is even in episode 30 and then more unanswered questions appear. 

Ian did say that White Robe CP may join in with filming in February but there's a lot of unsure and whatnot.  I doubt that he knows what the plan is as of now and I'm sure the production hasn't even figured out a clear plan ahead yet.  I was thinking heck, my BinKan already got killed in season 1 how the heck will they be resurrected for season 2 unless it's some sort of side story or prequel or whatever or unless it turns completely fantasy.  =_=

Yeah, but webseries happen for a profit - if they don't get enough viewership or profit from the series, there's no saying that they won't just drop it. I sincerely hope it continues, though. I really wish the schemes were more realistic but for what it's worth, it's a great show.

One can easily argue that Gongsun and Zhi Kan are fundamentally "better people" than, say Kunyi or Murong. Then again, there really is no good and evil in this show. It's just people being people - some people are more selfish is all.  

Just wondering, are there any similar shows? Mostly male cast, fantasy world, and fighting scenes?

They did confirm that they will go for season 2 regardless.  I doubt that there is other drama with mostly or all male cast.  This is the pioneer of its one and only class.  :))  (Unless it's anime.)  :))

I thought that scholar guy was put in rather shady light.  He betrayed his country and left his lord to death or something.  Then I didn't watch that part so I'm not sure.  

You probably watched Nirvana in Fire so... here's a good drama I recently watched called 九州天空城  or "Novoland: The Castle in The Sky." I don't think there's much fighting in this one, but it's mostly male cast/only 2 significant female leads and fantasy world. I enjoyed watching it, but I wish I saw the alternative ending first.

8 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

Ian did say that White Robe CP may join in with filming in February but there's a lot of unsure and whatnot.  I doubt that he knows what the plan is as of now and I'm sure the production hasn't even figured out a clear plan ahead yet.  I was thinking heck, my BinKan already got killed in season 1 how the heck will they be resurrected for season 2 unless it's some sort of side story or prequel or whatever or unless it turns completely fantasy.  =_=

They did confirm that they will go for season 2 regardless.  I doubt that there is other drama with mostly or all male cast.  This is the pioneer of its one and only class.  :))  (Unless it's anime.)  :))

I thought that scholar guy was put in rather shady light.  He betrayed his country and left his lord to death or something.  Then I didn't watch that part so I'm not sure.  

I hope it doesn't turn into some joke where everyone comes back to life.. u_u;; I can understand if Kan comes back to life, though? The body of the first assassin who commit suicide by his own sword never rot, so since Kan took his own life with his own sword and the sword has mystical properties when combined with blood.. 

That is good, at least. Let's see if 2017 will see the return of this lovely cast. I'm currently watching Legend of Chusen. I doubt it'd be as BL CP, but fantasy stuffs are always a plus. I'd go for the BL web series and webmovies, but I don't like shows focused on romance either. 

Scholar (Kunyi) was the one who poisoned his king because he thought his king was too weak for his ambition. He wanted to frame the 3 noble families and gather an army from everyone who thinks that the 3 nobles killed the king and seized power. 

2 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

Omg, I totally forgot he 

went dark/decided to follow his own ambitions to be something greater and not sacrifice his future/ himself etc. It's unclear how much he contributed to the green king's death. Did he end the king's life? Did he know early on that the king's sickness was not ordinary, but decided not to say anything about it? Why did he take away the imperial seals and whatnot? He's completely guided by his ambition now and I'm not sure if his loyalty can be trusted anymore. BUT he just wanted to fight the bearded guys invasion till the end instead of forfeiting. 

Archived