[Movie 2017] V.I.P. 브이아이피

Go Seung Ji

South Korea Box Office: Warner Bros. Local Thriller About North Korean Defection Debuts on Top

4:07 AM PDT 8/29/2017 by Lee Hyo-won

vip_still_-_h_2017.jpg
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Korea
'VIP'

'V.I.P.,' in which the CIA attempts to aid the defection of a high-ranking individual in Pyongyang, earned $6.9 million during its first weekend.

V.I.P., a new release by Warner Bros. Local Productions Korea, topped the South Korean box office over the weekend of Aug. 25-27, earning $6.9 million.

The film accounted for 25.1 percent of the market share on its debut weekend, an impressive bow considering its "19 and over" rating (the local equivalent of an R rating). Traditionally, films rated "15 and over" have performed strongly in South Korea.

Directed by Park Hoon-jung (New World), VIP tells the story of a conspiracy between the CIA and South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS) for the defection of Kim Gwang-il, the son of a high-ranking Pyongyang official, in the hope of retrieving intel about the North Korean regime. Kim, however, becomes the primary suspect in a high-profile serial murder case.

In addition to starring some of South Korea's biggest A-listers, including Jang Dong-gun, Lee Jong-suk, Kim Myung-min and Park Hee-soon, the film has attracted attention for its portrayal of actual geopolitical relations—particularly in the wake of recent nuclear threats from North Korea.

"Organized defection [by authorities] has said to have occurred both in North and South Korea. I am not sure if it is still happening today, but I heard it was quite common in the past," said director Park.

"The story is definitely something that can actually happen here, and I thought it was a ripe subject matter for the big screen. I wanted to imagine what if this 'VIP guest' from the North happened to be a monster, and what would happen if social systems failed to do their part."

Credit: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/south-korea-box-office-warner-bros-local-thriller-north-korean-defection-debuts-top-1033570

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Korea Box Office: Warner Bros.’ ‘V.I.P.’ Wins Weekend as Local Titles Dominate

Korea Box Office Local Films Dominate:
COURTESY OF WARNER BROK
AUGUST 28, 2017 | 06:22AM PT

Warner Bros.’ third Korean-language production, “V.I.P.” debuted on top of the South Korean box office. The Park Hoon-jung (“New World”) movie opened on Wednesday and earned $6.87 million from 940,000 admissions over five days. Starring Jang Dong-gun, the crime drama involves the son of a high-ranking North Korean official who is suspected of committing serial murders and agents that chase after him.

Previous winner, “A Taxi Driver” slipped to second, earning $3.87 million between Friday and Sunday. The Showbox movie has earned a total of $80.1 million from 11.4 million admissions since its Aug. 2 release. That makes “Taxi Driver” the eleventh biggest release of all time in South Korea, beating “Haeundae,” “The Host” and “King and the Clown.” The top two films accounted for 46% of the total weekend box office.

Two other Korean releases, Lotte Entertainment’s “Midnight Runners” and Next Entertainment World’s horror “The Mimic” took third and fourth place, respectively. “Midnight Runners” earned $3.77 million between Friday and Sunday for a total of $34.1 million after three weekends. “Mimic” earned $1.75 million between Friday and Sunday for a total of $7.95 million after two weekends.

Dropping 71%, “War for the Planet of the Apes” slipped to fifth. The Fox release earned $1.51 million between Friday and Sunday to extend its total to $14.3 million after two weekends.

Credit: http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/korea-box-office-warner-v-i-p-local-1202540336/

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Current Movie 2017] V.I.P. 브이아이피 - Jang Dong Gun, Kim Myung Min, Park Hee Soon and Lee Jong Suk

Lee Jong-suk, Kim Myung-min and Jang Dong-gun attended film 'V.I.P.' press conference

August 6, 2017

20170802155936843.jpg

The director Park Hoon Jung became famous from the the film, “New World” . This time he came with a new crime film, “V.I.P” and came to meet fans.

On July 31st, at the Seoul CGV movie theatre, the director and 4 main actors came to attend the film’s press conference. This crime film is different from other crime films, V.I.P tells people about the stories of different country’s government and their complicated situations.

20170802155920986.jpg

Through Korea’s NIS and America’s CIA plan, the VIP who came from North Korea could have been labelled a serial murderer. Park Jae-Hyuk from South Korea’s NIS plans to hide the truth. But South Korean detective Chae Yi-Do plans to capture him. Lee Dae-Bum is North Korea’s Spy and has the intent to revenge. All three people’s organization’s objectives are against each others.    

Speaking in terms of casting, besides Lee Jong-suk, the other three main actors all spoke of a story. Even though the film has starred Kim Myung-min, Park Hee-soon and recently coming back to the screen Jang Dong-gun, and all kept the audience anticipated for the movie, but all the women really came to see Lee Jong-suk ... This is the first time Lee Jong-suk challenged this type of character as a serial murderer. Playing the antagonist for the first time, how does he feel about it?

c40484cadf3a5a9346a896b690064657.jpg

His image before the film was a ‘warm man’ and the ‘nation’s first love’, this time he tried such a different theme and role to challenge himself , even the more senior actors praised him.

The various roles standing for their own organizations are against each other. The film’s key elements are all different from other crime films. In previously similar films, only two groups were against each other. But in this film, between the three powerful men and one supposedly ‘innocent’ man, there is certain to be tension which is the most anticipation of the film.

Watch the video:

Credit:  https://www.hallyuworldofficial.com/single-post/2017/08/04/Lee-Jong-suk-Kim-Myung-min-and-Jang-Dong-gun-attended-film-VIP-press-conference

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Image may contain: 1 person, text

『JShine Korea News Translations』
Crime movie "VIP" will be holding a Naver Movie talk live show (V APP LIVE) together with Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myung-min, Park Hee-soon, Lee Jong-suk and director Park Hoon-jung on August 16th (Wednesday) at 9 pm.
Translated by : jiacheng7468
Proofread by : Joanna5959
Layout by : leewhere0522
Newslink : http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003594272

201709040815349821465_20170904081642_01_20170904081839499.jpg?type=w430_q70

201709040815349821465_20170904081642_02_20170904081839509.jpg?type=w430_q70

[2017.09.04 V.I.P. article]

'V.I.P.' Kim Myung Min & Lee Jong Suk are at the spot

......VIP Kim Kwang-il who was released by the NIS and the police chief's attempt to capture him. A vivid sense of realism captures the gaze as if you are viewing a photograph of an article taken by the reporters on the scene. 

This scene is regarded as a scenery that gives a strong tension to VIP Kim Kwang-il who is going out of the police station,  Chae Yi-do who desperately wants to stop him, detectives who curtail Chae Yi-do , and reporters who are rushing to cover the scene here. Contrary to Kim Kwang-il, who seems to be enjoying the situation itself beyond the calmness, he is filled with anger and contrasts with the desperate figure of Lee. 

The film 'V.I.P.' is a project of the NIS and the CIA, and the VIP from North Korea has been pointed out as a suspect in the serial murder. In the case of a man who wants to conceal it, Crime movie. 

The film shows the world of a new crime movie with the unrivaled directing ability of director Park Hoon-jung, the fierce acting confrontation of actors, and the stormy story of unpredictability. 

The film 'V.I.P.', which can confirm the strength of the movie that opened the spot capturing steel and caused the blast last year, is highly praised.

Google translated

Credit:http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=112&aid=0002954510

20170822010008003_1.jpg

'V.I.P.' An opening of Kim Kwang-il? "Do not exist anywhere on the earth ..."

...The content of the film 'V.I.P.' is unprecedented in Korean film history.

...So it's nice to see the birth of the film 'V.I.P.' and new type of the villain which not possible to meet in the reality, and even does not exist anywhere on this planet ... 

Google translated (just some sentences)

Full article: http://www.viva100.com/main/view.php?key=20170822010008003

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Movie 2017] V.I.P. 브이아이피
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived