[Drama 2017] Tomorrow With You 내일 그대와

Go Seung Ji

Guest AlexMao

@Visually-wandering I already knew about the 49 days part regarding an intermittent state before reincarnation, I was just hoping there was something else behind it.

We're only two episodes in, so I would imagine we'll get some more tidbits from his time travelling companion since he either can travel as well or is just some kind of "watcher" outside the time line (as I kind of speculated with the Quantum Leap reference). I suppose another question is we know from episode two Ma Rin conducted an interview where she revealed she'd survived the train accident, wouldn't the authorities have gathered that information at the time of the accident? So Joon ran into the tunnel so he would have been detained/questioned at the time. Ma Rin may have vanished into the crowd but at the same time there are cameras around the platform so they could have captured her getting off the train. This could have been a quick and dirty interview from the station and/or the police officers to determine if she saw/heard anything prior to the accident (more speculation here). We still don't know what caused the accident, derailment, engine troubles what-have-you so it's possible it was intentional (set in place by So Joon's companion as crazy as that sounds).  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, AlexMao said:

2. Is his ability to travel specifically tied to him visiting the site of the accident on the 49th day? Is there some underlying meaning behind this outside of the notion of reincarnation/rebirth (Buddhist view on death and rebirth)

3. We know from episode 2 that So Joon cannot travel beyond his death, some time in 2019, do we know how far back he can go? From his voice over it appears he's not able to make big changes to the time line so this means he cannot go back and save his mother and father nor as it seems from his co-worker change someone's fate i.e., give him the winning numbers to that week's lottery.  

2) I think this might be the key. Maybe the fact that he was "reborn"  is what allows him to technically be in two places at once. The time-traveling ahjussi...did he gain his ability in a similar way? I wonder how many other time-travelers are in this world. He seems to be the only other one that So Joon knows. He's really suspicious with how much he knows about So Joon. I wonder why SJ hasn't picked up on it, but maybe he's too self-involved at this point.

3) It seems as if he's only able to go to the future, not the past. Namyeong to Seoul takes him to the future while Seoul to Namyeong takes him back to the present. I don't think he has an option to go to the past.

Guest AlexMao

@trisail I might have misunderstood the breakdown then, since one would assume that if he's in the present he could travel by train to the past so long as he used the same logic as you described. The other bit that confuses me is how is he able to control time, for example he wants to go a month into the future rather than say 6-12 months, would he have to pick a specific time say 7 am takes him an week while 12 pm takes him month. 

I know too many questions, not enough answers so it's a bit of wait and see 

@fallentenshiThank you for your input re my questions about time traveling. With all the the different thoughts, questions and explanations re time travel makes it so interesting reading all the posts here. I'm so excited and want to learn more. Haven't finished reading all the posts and I'm sure when I do, I will probably have more questions. The drama really make you think about what scenarios will be played out as we go forward.

@necychessie Thank you for your clarification about the cars. No worries about the mistake! Happy that you took time to help me with my questions! Thanks again, look forward to your future posting!

@MrsSoJiSubThank you for your in-depth analysis of many of our questions. I need to go back and read it again because your post has so many important details. Happy we have someone like you who's knowledgeable about time travel. You will be our question solver because I know we will have many questions with each episode. I tried reading about time travel online but got confused with all the scientific terminology that I stopped for now. May have to do more research later and digest the information slowly. Thanks again for your important input!

‘Tomorrow With You’ kicks off to mixed responses

Spoiler

The first two episodes of the new drama series “Tomorrow With You” aired on Friday and Saturday, featuring a mix of time-travel fantasy and destined romance.

The first episode kicked off with a 3.9 percent viewership while ratings for the second episode slipped slightly to 2.1 percent, according to Nielsen Korea.

Though the figures are lagging when compared to the pilot of the preceding show “Guardian: The Great and Lonely God,” which averaged a 6.9 percent viewership, viewers responded with favorable reviews on online communities.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The episodes centered around the male lead So-joon, played by Lee Je-hoon, who gains the ability to travel through time after revisiting the site where his parents were killed in a subway accident.

So-joon’s ability to see into the future renders him cynical about people’s daily problems -- “I know how everything will turn out, so it’s laughable,” he tells a friend -- until he encounters Ma-rin, played by Shin Min-ah.

So-joon discovers that his life and death are inextricably tied to those of Ma-rin, a boisterous photographer.

The 16-episode series airs Fridays and Saturdays on tvN.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201702051504591345794_2

THEY HAD A GOOD START!CONGRATULATIONS !

3 hours ago, AlexMao said:

@trisail I might have misunderstood the breakdown then, since one would assume that if he's in the present he could travel by train to the past so long as he used the same logic as you described. The other bit that confuses me is how is he able to control time, for example he wants to go a month into the future rather than say 6-12 months, would he have to pick a specific time say 7 am takes him an week while 12 pm takes him month. 

I know too many questions, not enough answers so it's a bit of wait and see 

In life just as you can't undo your past (what's done is done) SJ too cannot (well from what we've learned these past 2 episodes) can't revisit/ travel to his past and undo or change anything. To go to the past and change it, would drastically effect ones present and future. Thus far the theme of the drama (from SJ telling MR not to worry about the future and just think of now "eat what you want. Date many men" and the SJ's friends telling him "some of us have to live in the present" and SJ's literal present -present, present see what the writers did there- being too futuristic but mainly of the wrong size not fitting because he didn't pay attention to present details -the girls shoe size-) is live in your now, your present/presence.

The past is gone and can't be undone (MR's storyline and her mother as well as netziens inability to let it go) the future will come and it will be what it will be (SJ and his time travels, the "accident" still occurs) what's important is the now (2016. Meeting and falling in love. SJ asks "what us it about this woman that has me marry her?" He's so busy worry about what's to come and how he got there and how he may or may not avoid it, that he's missing the answer to his own question, which imho is YOU, YOU'RE LIVING IT NOW. Coming to find drunk her, listening at her windowsill, showing up for the photo shoot, GIVING HER YOUR NAME, that's how he got to loving her and marrying her -those little moments and decisions that adds up to make a life and future- but he's missing it/understanding it, seeing it, because he's so wrapped up in what's to come). 

To me in the grand scheme SJ is in one loop, one life (because time traveling or not we all got one life to live). When in his life he travels to and what's occurring is the mystery.  I too am curious of if SJ has any control of the period/point in time in his future life that he travels to (I believe there are no alternative lives. Just one constant, destination, fate whatever you label it, which is MR). At the end of ep 1, he went yo the future where he's married to MR, then in episode 2, he travels to a future where there is no marriage pictures and such. Now the question is, did SJ travel to a not so distant future to come where he and MR are yet to be married (maybe they're still dating) or did he go to a future that is post-marriage (did he travel to a time where MR has left or divorced him -the whole bit of MR talking about wanting to save up so she can go to a place with few Koreans where no one knows her or can find her was foreshadowing imho- or maybe MR has even died and left him all alone?).  I think the show not showing us what year he had traveled to (which they did in the first episode and even that one) was on purpose. 

So as SJ travels and hoops through time and dies things he says he wouldn't do (interfer in other lives which he's done with MR) how will that not only impact his life but also his traveling abilities (what happens if SJ misses the train or a train stops coming? Will SJ always need the train? Will he one day much things up and then in the middle of something he's traveling without control to the future or disappearing from his present?) and that of others (so many futures are tied to his own. If he should ever make a mistake in betting on the future, his company is gone which affects those who work for him -the director and his wife who happens to be MR's frenemy, his bff, his female bff and her father/family since their construction business is tied into SJ's relestate business-). I love this drama because to me it is/has laid out the foundations and frameworks of so much to come. If done right it can be such an awesome drama with lessons to learn and much to tell. 

ETA: I read the ratings slipped from 3.9 (Friday) to 3.1 (Saturday) not from 3.9 to a drastic 2.1.what is considered good cable rating these days? I know this not getting Goblin numbers (neither had the star power of Gong Yoo who is IT with Train to Busan and also the writer DotS and past words). In the only days 1% for cable was a hit but times has changed so what number for it to be a success and not a flop? 

I am here my dear sweeatpeas @naritul @jellybellymonster @Visually-wandering

How could I stay away, if you summon me :wub:
Well, I could, but I should I want to.

I was not really able to watch the episodes until just now, so I felt a bit behind reading and seeing you all here (not only the 3 previously mentioned)

My 1. 2 cents  (might change my view/opinion ... well we are early on, so there is tins to see and clear

As with so many drama there are so many lose ends in the beginning, questions to "Why are they tied together?" or "How does that guy know so much?"
Honestly he is the most dodgy one.
The mom is feeding off the long lost fame of her daughter. Which is not new and even happens in real life way to often.
YSJ tries to avoid to much contact with other people, as he sort of fears that he slips occasionally (well I get that feeling), then again, he actually knows already to much and can just rely in this one friend and co-worker, thought he won't tell him anything, as he claims he won't want to know, but still notes down the lottery numbers :wink: (wonder if he tried and "won")
SMR know she was not good in acting and so she stop pursuing this way, thought her mom wanted her to go on in acting. I looks much better to have a famous daughter and feed of her. And SMR knows her mom uses her name, no actually the "famous BapSoon". She tries to get a foot into the door, that is called live, but as she did not learn anything proper due to schooling (probably didn't attend often as her mom wanted her to stay famous)

Did you see the "thriller" *Urban Legends*?
There the main leads also get of the train/plane/motorway by chance (well someone has a prenotion), but death tried to get them one by one, so the old order would be fixed. And even uriGrimReaper in Goblin said after the bus-accident (that did not happen) other accidents will happen to fix that and there will be more death.

The preview said, that the accident in the future is the day the accident of the subway happen 10years before ... does death try to fix it?
Did death already try at their first encounter, where YSJ saves SMR?
I bet there are other occasions they met and did not know, their lives are linked together.

I am curious how it will go on, but as it is past my bedtime I will fold for today :wink:

Guest AlexMao

@MrsSoJiSub That was one of the oddities for me, we saw that he went to some point, approximately 3 months into the future and he was now married. From my understanding after that is that he went back to the past (or possible his present) to change fate so that he was not married to Ma Rin. Which make me think that he could go back further if he needed to as it wasn't really explained how far he could go back just that he couldn't go beyond a certain time, his death. I'll say the thought did cross my mind that if he could go back far enough he could have prevented his parents death but then it's also possible that if he did that he would messed up the timeline so much or coincidentally bump into himself basically erasing himself from time.

So Joon and Ma Rin are linked in some way. Given what we've seen it seems that So Joon is or will be a good influence on Ma Rin shedding her childhood actress image and well her adult-drunkard image she's developed. Ma Rin looks to be the one thing that gives So Joon reason for living. He's known the future for the last seven years, she's the one undefined variable that messes up his life for all the right reasons. One of the other questions I have is given that some of So Joon's friends/co-workers know about his secret, does he plan on revealing it to Ma Rin or is she going to be kept in the dark?

@itzibitzispider Are you thinking like the film Final Destination (death correcting itself) or were you thinking more Goblin-esque (deities forcing the hands of So Joon and/or Ma Rin to make choices)?

chingus annyeong!!! i have watched the first two episodes and i'm totally sold out for it SMA and LJH really looks good together.

On 27/01/2017 at 9:51 PM, Visually-wandering said:

Omo omo! I almost can't believe my eyes. Hello @ohoheli. So happy can meet you again in soompi. Been awhile. Because I'm inspired with you, lately I'm sharing torrent links in my twitter too. Because you did that on MLFTS era. You made me able to watch HD video. Now that I meet you again, I'm waiting for your links too (^^). You might not know me since I'm using new account. Can't access the old one with my mobile. Now I'm optimistic to watch this after I saw your name.

Almost the same reason why do I wanna see this drama. Hopefully this time we will have fairly good ending. (^^)

@Visually-wandering chingu annyeong! so happy to see you here! (please pardon me as i forgot your previous username...) anyways, not sure if i will be able to become as active as i was before. work is quite very demanding. but i will try for this drama. :)

12 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

OMG after watching episode 2 with sub..... I literally cried when SMR met YSJ again in her friend's wedding reception.. the look in her eyes.. so sad! she remembers all the harsh thing he said to her.. yep.. he was so rude tbh.. as a woman.. I'll probably will never want to even meet that kind of man.. the man who accused SMR pretended to be pity.. pretend??? she is in a need of a job and money to live.. it's easy for YSJ to said that while driving a 200.000 USD jaguar sport and a 150.000 USD Range Rover. But SMR? OK I understand that YSJ isn't a knight in a shining armor and prince charming with golden heart.. but saying those hurtful words to SMR? ALL will get back to him later when he falls for her so madly .. deeply.. unselfishly.. soon ok.. soon....

I hate the fact that I am so into this drama and despite that I'm thankful that this drama helps me to move on from Goblin.. still it's a torchering time to wait for the next episode..... ughhhhhhh.........my friends warned me but I didn't listen to them!!!

@SeGafanlady noona!!! so good you're here too!!! looking forward to that time where YSJ will be madly in love with SMR. the last scene in episode 2 seems a good start.

Did anyone pay attention to the pictures that were plastered on the wall at time travel ahjusshi house? It looks like a picture of cars in an accident(?) scene.. And I also wonder why is there a marked calendar? What actually the ahjusshi doing countdown for?

Seriously, I feel that this ahjushi is not some ordinary time traveler, I mean, he actually seems quite suspicious, especially when he is really persistent in making So Joon to change his mind after he said that he did not want to be entangled with Ma Rin life. Somehow I think that ahjusshi is related to the future accident.. huhu

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I got goosebumps as I saw the episode 3 preview. Try to see the picture above, the one beside the calendar. The accident happened near a zebra crossing road (which actually were shown in the picture and it also appears in the accident preview).

And the vehicle that was circled in red (in the picture beside the calendar) is eerily similar to the vehicle below (the pic below is a screencap of the 2019 accident scene)

6 hours ago, andy78 said:

The first two episodes of the new drama series “Tomorrow With You” aired on Friday and Saturday, featuring a mix of time-travel fantasy and destined romance.

The first episode kicked off with a 3.9 percent viewership while ratings for the second episode slipped slightly to 2.1 percent, according to Nielsen Korea.

The second episode actually pulled in 3.1 percent (not an error on your part, but the article's), so even better ^_^.

Next week will be the true test for ratings, but yes, this was a good start for the show :D.

9 hours ago, AlexMao said:

@MrsSoJiSub That was one of the oddities for me, we saw that he went to some point, approximately 3 months into the future and he was now married. From my understanding after that is that he went back to the past (or possible his present) to change fate so that he was not married to Ma Rin. Which make me think that he could go back further if he needed to as it wasn't really explained how far he could go back just that he couldn't go beyond a certain time, his death. I'll say the thought did cross my mind that if he could go back far enough he could have prevented his parents death but then it's also possible that if he did that he would messed up the timeline so much or coincidentally bump into himself basically erasing himself from time.

So Joon and Ma Rin are linked in some way. Given what we've seen it seems that So Joon is or will be a good influence on Ma Rin shedding her childhood actress image and well her adult-drunkard image she's developed. Ma Rin looks to be the one thing that gives So Joon reason for living. He's known the future for the last seven years, she's the one undefined variable that messes up his life for all the right reasons. One of the other questions I have is given that some of So Joon's friends/co-workers know about his secret, does he plan on revealing it to Ma Rin or is she going to be kept in the dark?

@itzibitzispider Are you thinking like the film Final Destination (death correcting itself) or were you thinking more Goblin-esque (deities forcing the hands of So Joon and/or Ma Rin to make choices)?

More like death tries to correct itself.

After the “not“-bus-accident WangYeo said as well that there will be folliw up accidents/death to set the record straight, but with more death then now

1 hour ago, jjoy84 said:

just finished watching the first 2 eps. drama seems interesting and the leads have good chemistry. looking forward to how this drama will unfold.

Same, so far I like it hope to see more good thing weeks ahead.

I like LJH in signal so I hope this drama will also well written untill the end.

TVN have a lot of good drama these days :wub:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TOMORROW WITH YOU

SOURCE: SOOMPI

LONG ARTICLE UNDER SPOILER:

Spoiler

February 5, 2017

First Impressions: "Tomorrow With You"

binahearts

If you’re like me, you liked this drama even before you watched the first episode.

Mainly because of her:

82701809.2_99_20170203134507.jpg

But mostly because of these two together:

tvN has been producing some amazing dramas lately. From the big hit “Signal” last year to “Goblin,” I put a lot of my faith in this drama being a good one way in advance. Especially since I’m drowning in the mystery and action of dramas like “Voice” and “Defendant,” I’m in desperate need of some lovey-dovey romantic feels.

Now, “The Time Traveler’s Wife” is one of my favorite books, which is what I immediately thought of when I first saw the trailer for this drama. The book was epic and really well-written; time traveling can be a tricky concept to write about, especially when having to go back and forth in time, so I was really hoping that this drama would be able to present this theme well and that it wouldn’t be too cheesy or complicated.

With this said, curious to see what I thought about the drama? Keep on reading on to find out!

Warning: Minor spoilers ahead.

1. Production Value

Within the first 15 minutes of the drama, you get a good grasp of the time traveling aspect. There is a bit of CG, but it’s not over the top, which I appreciated. Because the main character is traveling into the future, you would think maybe they would make it some big production, but it was subtle and effective.

The social media part where Shin Min Ah’s character is getting roasted by netizens was also really fun and creative.

tumblr_okx2fkki2z1var5i8o1_1280.png

tumblr_okx2fkki2z1var5i8o2_1280.png

So funny!

2. Cast and Characters

What more can I say except that I love Shin Min Ah? Yes, she plays the same old characters in a lot of her dramas, but she’s so dang good at it. She also looks pretty flawless doing it. Romantic comedies are totally her genre and I’m ok with it.

Shin Min Ah plays an aspiring photographer by the name of Song Ma Rin, but most of the nation knows her as Bap Soon. She was a child actress who was in a role that shot her to stardom, but she didn’t continue with her acting career. The “Bap Soon” bit gets a bit annoying as everyone (even her mother) continues to call her by that name even as an adult. Ma Rin is also obviously annoyed by it and is trying desperately to be known for something other than this childhood character. She’s struggling a bit to make a name for herself, but she’s trying!

When news broke that Lee Min Ki was considering the role of the male lead in this drama, I got pretty excited. I think it was ever since his role in “Shut Up! Flower Boy Band” that I became a fan and I’ve been desperate to see him in another romantic lead role.

Unfortunately, he had to decline this role and in came Lee Je Hoon.

I’m not complaining. I loved him in the hit movie “Architecture 101” and obviously his role in the hit drama “Signal,” but I was more curious than excited to see how this would pan out.

From the second these two met in the drama, I knew I had nothing to worry about. They are professionals who have a long history of acting experience and they are executing their roles flawlessly.

Lee Je Hoon plays a time traveler named Yoo So Joon. He’s the CEO of a real estate investment company, which probably has a lot to do with the fact that he can go into the future and figure out where he should invest. It took me almost the entire first two episodes to figure his character out, and to be honest, I wasn’t the biggest fan at first. He seemed arrogant, selfish, was really mean to his employees. Even worse, he was mean to Song Ma Rin, but then there were some cute parts where he meets Ma Rin and starts to become closer to her and then, well, this is the start of the romance we were waiting for. Our hard-to-read CEO isn’t quite the main lead that we all love to love yet, but I’m sure he’ll take us there with a few more episodes.

3. Storyline

This drama begins in the future in the perspective of Yoo So Joon. We find out that he can travel into the future by riding the subway. He discovers while in the future that Song Ma Rin dies into a car accident, and he decides to save her, which is how they end up meeting. 

After traveling again to the future, he sees that what will happen now is even worse. In order to prevent this from happening, he takes the initiative to get closer to her to find out more. There is nothing really romantic about the beginning of their relationship since it’s strictly business, but we obviously know where it’s headed and we’re really excited about this budding romance.

2017012001001535800105442_99_20170119104107.jpg

Not only does Yoo So Joon see that their futures are entwined, but he finds out that they had a fateful run-in in the past, as well, prompting So Joon to figure out how they are connected and why.

The best part about the storyline in this drama is probably the fact that almost everything is laid out for the viewers within the first episode. It was jam packed with the history of the main leads and it also proposed a lot of questions that are pushing the storyline forward. I liked how they tell you when So Joon first starts to time travel, although we don’t know what triggered it; maybe this is a question that will be answered in later episodes.

The first two episodes were especially fun to watch as we were able to observe the chemistry between these two, which I might add, was adorable! This storyline wouldn’t be nearly as good without them.

4. Final two cents

All in all, I think the drama is good so far — it’s not amazing, but it’s good. I actually enjoyed the first episode more than the second one. It seemed like the first episode was geared more towards the romantic comedy aspect whereas the second episode got a bit more serious and it slowed down quite a bit. I can usually tell how much I love a drama depending on my excitement level in wanting to watch the next episode, and, I have to say, I’m not REALLY waiting in anticipation. However, I am looking forward to seeing Yoo So Joon and Song Ma Rin’s relationship become more romantic.

Also hoping that the story doesn’t disappoint or get boring as it progresses. Cross your fingers, everybody!

Watch “Tomorrow With You” on Viki exclusively in Europe!

Hey Soompiers! What were your thoughts on the first two episodes? Let me know in the comments below!

binahearts is a Soompi writer who can be most often seen singing her heart out at karaoke, walking her dog, or indulging in dessert. Her current obsessions include Song Joong Ki and BIG BANG. Make sure you follow binahearts on Instagram as she journeys through her latest Korean crazes!

Archived