Quantcast

Chingoos. I am so happy today, knowing that so many of us the world over care so much about little and big goings-on about the owner of this thread, beloved actress oori Shin Hae(Hye)-Sun-ssi. @jakey09 's sensitivity and respect for the way she likes to sign her own name in English has made many of us shift our spelling of her name also, and that's pretty special, too, in a small way. @iffy21 - I shall dub Thee our Countess Iffy21, for you sure like to count! Thank you for your IG odometer function - might I suggest you add a small pic/gif of her with every odometer update, pretty please? :phew:

FYI, Sae-Ma-Eul (새마을 = new village) Safe is exactly what @Man-O-Man calls it, a Bank, or a wealth management company. They do different kinds of investment portfolios etc. The last ad above was for their insurance product (보험), and @jakey09 sums up my short response to her as a new spokesperson alongside the older guy I've never been fond of as an actor (he overdoes it in most of his roles). The rest of my thoughts and response to @Man-O-Man I will hide here becoz ultimately for me it is irrelevant what she pimps - honestly, I would try/buy her guns or sex-toy products if she endorses them, to use provocative hyperbole to describe the level of my affection for this actress that is not simply rational.

Spoiler

Perhaps some of your disappointments come, @Man-O-Man, from your perceptions about what you thought you had fallen in love with (about SK) and departure from your perception to what is the reality on that little peninsula - 한반도 - combined NK & SK. There's much we can talk about, but in short, SK is like no other country in the world, and yet of course its people are like every other people in the world - the same humans. There're currently running on netflix 2 political dramas (from jtbc and tvn) and they're both well worth watching from what I have heard, and it may give you some insight into what makes SK the wonderful and crazy place it is. Many other less political but more healing, culturally informative dramas I can recommend from the past, but perhaps that's left to a separate thread or private dialog. That SHS has succeeded fantastically and wildly beyond anyone's imagination is what we celebrate here daily, of course, and I dare say she could not have succeeded without her parents' careful financial planning and enable-ment for her to get the best arts education in high school and college that their money could buy in that competitive little land in the most competitive of businesses, the show business.

Regarding this last IG post by 청산도 jujubin6, on second thought, I think this is just one of the places the cast/crew of ALML stayed during the island (Dan's childhood) scene shoots, and the inn-keeper was finally allowed to disclose, now that the shooting is done. The first pic of famous actor Son Hyeon-Joo was from colder months, and it doesn't get very cold down there, so probably not related to ALM:L. The caption doesn't say much, that both he & SHS had a nice stay at their 'bed and breakfast' type inn (what Koreans call 'pension', for reasons that baffle me).

At first I thought if this is for episode 16, then the OTP couple were finally getting their 'alone at last and forever together in a quiet place no one else knows' time, but probably not.

Thank you @titania1000 Regarding the Giselle poster portending of the possible dark ending, oh, my, whatever this drama lacks in some aspects, this will remain a 'legendary' story for all its visuals and imagery that are already showing up in my dreams. I do like the idea that YS will begin the final ballet performance but disappear half way, leaving it for Nina to finish it and JKW to go on living a better life as a human, perhaps even granted by grace a chance to grow old and die a normal human death in the end.

tumblr_pu7bqkvjGz1valxs7o1_540.gif

Finally, I must mention that the ending of Ep 14, where Shin Hye-Sun does her spitfire monologue to the deity is yet another ground-breaking scenario in a long line of such scenes on her stellar resume. As contrived as the lines were and absurd on some level, I couldn't believe how much I was immersed in every second of this closing scene. I wish I had time to do this much more justice (the lines she utters as spoken in Korean are worth transcribing and re-translating for their powerful effect, etc.), but I just wanted to at least mention it before the final 2 episodes air.

When this drama started, there was some small question and debate whether they should have employed a professionally trained ballerina who can act, as opposed to an ace actress who can hopefully resemble a ballerina. This and 50 other scenes from the first episode until the 14th episode certainly puts that question to rest forever.

Happy last week of ALM:L chingoos! May we be rewarded for our faith and love that doesn't waver!! @immorethant don't be afraid! Thanks @Ni Wen for trying to encourage her. This is a much better and lofty story than MGL, and even if it falls flat, I love that SHS wasn't afraid to dare dream the impossible - o how much more I adore her for this!! :wub::innocent:

Edited by meechuttso
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I just watched episodes 27 and 28 of ALML and a fresh new breeze washed over me as I watched Shin Hye Sun's magical presence  on my screen. It took about 1/2 second for me to melt back into my chair in total adoration and awe of this incredible woman. I have so much hope for her continued success in acting.  So I need to apologise for my to recent criticism of her for selling financial services. It's true that my perception of her and SK culture is limited to say the least but I learn more every day. I still love her and I love all of you for loving her. This is a support forum for Shin Hye Sun so I was out of line spouting off here about something I have stong opinions on. I very much appreciate being able to participate and follow you folks in celebration of this supreme actress. Thank you sincerely.

• Love 3

Is MG some kind of predatory lending/loansharking outfit?

Like Park Hoo Ja in "My Fellow Citizen?"

What kind of "insurance" are they selling?

Also, I would definitely cast that actor dude as a k-drama loan shark.

@meechuttso The poster grabbed my attention for its aesthetics, mostly because i was starved of beautiful visuals after the initial ballet scenes. The long clip  released by KBS separately was in the end all that the drama had to offer.

Even Ni Na's elegant rehearsal dance scenes disappeared slowly and now she doesn't even want to dance.:tears:

I don't know if the poster could be related to the end. 

I'm just excited because i liked so much  the dark version of Giselle that Kang Woo wanted to direct.

Few pages ago, i wrote about a south african woman artistic director that directed this version of a revengful Giselle with a black cast in real life, and how powerful it seemed to me to revisit classics through women's rights lens. 

Of course, i love the idea that Kang Woo was supporting this progressive vision but the writer dropped the ball.

Once a while, she makes a reference to the fact that Ni Na played at the audition the version he dreamed of but only to enhance the angst in their relationship.

Now it seems accepted by everyone that since LYS won the audition, Kang Woo is just going to follow what she wants to do (the classic Giselle). So i was surprised that the poster was so dark. 

If Ni Na goes on stage instead of Yeon Seo that means her life is in danger too: Ru Na lost it completely when she rejected her scary love. I'm not sure that the last plan that she made to hire a technician wasn't to kill her sister rather than LYS like Dan thought since she never mentioned the name of the victim.      

I don't know if Kang Woo can have a happy ending: does the writer care about him or was he just a plot device to deliver infos to the main couple? I'm still attached to his story and his personality more than any other character (except Seol Hee) but i'm not sure that in the end he really counts: his screen presence has been reduced to nothing and his arc stagnant. Lately he could have been removed from the story and it wouldn't have really mattered: Hu and Ms Jung had more scenes than him. 

However, it was his strategy since she rejected him on the beach to take a step aside, not try to influence her and  wait for her until she admits by herself that her relationship with Dan was going nowhere. All he can do has he said was tell her the truth, and let her decide for herself with the hope she will take the right decision So there's more to his absence from screen than it seems.   

If you can find time to do it one day, I'd be curious  to read your translation of the "glorious" church scene.

I'm trying to make sense of the fact that LYS was acting all confident as if she is in any capacity to defy the deity who has control over life and death and chooses who becomes human or angel. 

One clue that i found in the drama is to connect her speech to Kang Woo's line that compared her relationship with Dan to Romeo and Juliet. I know nobody who likes this play, it's the weakest work of Shakespeare, but everyone (all academics, poets and writers) raves about its poetry and powerful language.

Maybe that's why the writer went for this ridiculous and passionate statement. To have the opportunity to let LYS cry out her heart and wrote those lines.  The writer is nowhere close to be good enough to be compared to the greatest playwright of all the times but i wonder if she tried to emulate him since you said that you were immersed in the powerful effect of the writing.

I need a quality translation to see it by myself. 

Edit The rest is off topic so i'm using spoilers tags. 

Spoiler

For me if Romeo and Juliet is a play that describes deeply consuming love, it's only to criticize it.

The real point of the story is to show that love and its appearances can be as destructive as any other feelings. -_-

That's the case for LYS:  her relationsship with Dan which look and taste like love, is in fact dependency on the feelings and physical sensations brought in her life by Dan. His presence calms her desire to die created by her incapacity to move on and enjoy life again. Like with drugs, once those feelings and sensations are on the verge to disappear, the fear of being alone and the thought of death reappear in full force and become unbearable. That's why losing Dan or dying is the same thing in her head. 

She's good at hiding it. She can do effortlessly interviews with the press,  convince sponsors to invest on Fantasia, and  assure everyone that the company won't disappear in time of crisis. She can pretend in front of Ms Jung to be very wise: that even if Dan doesn't stay,  she just wants to accumulate as much love that she can to be able to live peacefully alone for the rest of her life.

But in her private discussion with the deity, she will threaten to give up on her own life as a reitalation if she loses a man that she knew only few weeks at best and only superficially, as if wasting her life could be a loss for anybody else but herself in the first place.

She blamed the deity for Mr Jo's death but at the same time dismissed his sacrifice with her death threat that undermined everything he wanted for her.  

This lack of distance and maturity makes her like a depressed 14 years old girl trapped in the body of a 26 years old woman.

It's infuriating to watch  even more since the writer is clearly condemning her attitude: she made her very miserable on her wedding day. Only people paid to prepare the event (include Ms Jung) came and she ended up taking pics with her dog because there was nobody else around:o.

Nobody to bless them, no friends with who to share smiles/laughs or memories or with who make memories of the event. The only wedding card was given to Kang Woo as a provocation.

This wedding was written as something meaningless on many levels while it should have been the peak of their relationship if it had been real.      

The writer wrotes herself in a corner here:

• if she gives Dan and Yeon Seo the happy ending that they asked for, she validates her threat of killing herself and his threat of murdering someone as an effective way to get what they want.
  • If she keeps them stubbornly dedicated to each other, she will have no other choice but to let them die together at the major risk that they could pass in the viewers eyes as star crossed lovers unfairly treated.

The only way is to break their loyalty to each other by creating brutal circumstances that forces  Yeon Seo to stop trusting him and ask him to go.

A happy ending for me could only be  a separation where they woke up from their relationship to realize that they weren't in each other as much they thought and would move on:

•  in the afterlife for him
  • and with her life for her (thanks to the ballet company and maybe a new relationship with her family).

I won't bet on what the writer will do but it's not worth to get stressed about it. I don't want hard feelings, just to know the end for my favourites and move on quickly.  

• Like 1

@glass_shoe15 The radio interview has already been translated  but i didn't bookmark it so i must search it: it's either in this thread or the ALML, or more probably both thread.

BTS  From her last CF:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mylovekge said:

Just saw this in my feed today. And I'm tagging our lovely chingu @meechuttso to hopefully give us translations :D no pressure!!! 

I found a subbed version online!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, glass_shoe15 said:

I dont know this radio show aired for 1 hour. Please someone translate this

I can't find the complete translation in this thread, just this excerpt:

And the ALML thread is too big.

Maybe @immorethant would be be able to help?

• Thanks 1

The first coffee truck seems to be from Kim Hyun Joo. :love:

She's a literal godess in her current drama: her acting and character are so good that she might be on her way to do the best performance of the year if her character continues to be as intense as promised.

A perfect role model for SHS, except for the part where she lost too many years in doing romance and comedy, though she grabbed the right project when she decided to go for a thriller.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

A little vid about the second truck from 30but17's PD 

I don't think she had ever received so much support through gifts and messages for a project. :o

Hopefully, the end of ALML will be better than the rest of the drama and she will enjoy the wrap party with the cast and crew. :)  

• Like 2

Give this girl a break.

She can choose whatever type of dramas or any CFs she wants to do.

No actress limit herself to just thrillers in her career or only model for bags and fashion.

She's doing a great job so far and deserves a pat on her back.

She has my back. Always.:)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm not sure what the relationship is between Kim Hyun Joo and Shin Hye Sun, but a quick glance at KHJ's wikipedia reveals that she did a documentary in Canada once on environmental issues. She seems to be a socially conscious person and I respect her immediately for that without having ever seen her in a show (that I know of). Popular public figures can help bring awareness to important global issues if they believe in them enough to get involved. I admire that.

Regarding ALML, when I first heard about it I was really hoping it wouldn't be a veiled promo for religion. Thankfully it was not but I wasn't sure as Koreans seem have an obsession for dieties, demons and the supernatural judging from several dramas I've seen. I agree that ALML is a rather weak story, although the parallels with the real Giselle story is interesting. I concluded that it was more a vehicle for SHS to display her incredible acting talents, although some episodes were better than others in that respect. I think SHS wanted to challenge herself with doing ballet and she loves doing love stories. Why shouldn't she, she's very good at them and they are a big part of Kdramaland. Who knows - maybe the "shipping" rumors will come to pass and we'll be seeing more of her and L for decades to come. I can only imagine the pictures of her when she's pregnant. If she wants kids she can't wait too many more years since she's almost 31.

I hope that the final episodes of ALML will feature her supreme acting talents as effectively as the first few episodes did and I hope she gets nominated for best actress for her role when the time comes even though the series will surely not be nominated for best drama. Who would be her competition for best actress I wonder?

I look forward to her next two film projects which sound like they will have more depth to them storywise. But I hope she also continues with more romantic dramas along the lines of My Golden Life and 30 but 17 because I really liked them.  So much depends on the writing also. Excellent acting can only do so much to save stories that are mediocre.  I hope she will do more fantasy romances too, even filled to the brim with magic and silliness, but with depth and interesting character development, and of course liberal doses of melodrama.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titania1000 said:

A perfect role model for SHS, except for the part where she lost too many years in doing romance and comedy, though she grabbed the right project when she decided to go for a thriller.

You know, actors dont get to decide and it pays their bills too....romcom was all that worked at a time...now its different....better late than never