Quantcast

21 hours ago, immorethant said:

Agreed with @kokkuri33.

What makes me so love and admire Shin Hye Sun is that she's still so good at choosing her role.

If you look at all dramas that aired during the first half of the year, for all female roles that aligned with SHS's age, you can tell that no character is better than Yeon Seo. This character gave her opportunity to show her acting skills in various ways (strong, arrogant, cute, fragile) , also gave her opportunity to dress in many beautiful clothes and showed people how determine she is to practice ballet. 

I think the first stage of SHS career is to find a breakthrough which she's already succeeded in MGL.

Now everyone accepted her as a good acting/quality actress, so at this moment is the 2nd stage to gain more love and popularity because she is in the age that can still do cute and romantic role.  (I think her team at YNK is also playing the same strategy).  ALML is a proof that she successfully got more fans and more love . Many criticisms she received from her previous dramas that she's not beautiful are now rarely seen with ALML, now I saw only comments on how beautiful and cute she is.

So being a (still) young cute girl with good acting skill, I think she's quite doing well to find a role that balancingly showed both sides of her that she can make you fell in love with her beauty and can make you cry when she cried, and sill got the young cute guy :P . And I still prefer ( and I think she also prefer doing) this kind of role for more 2-3 years. 

I understand that some fans may want to see her in more 'serious' role, I think it means more serious drama than rom-com or fantasy. But the point are 1) rom-com drama can also have complex serious character if the script is allowed , which I trusted SHS will always choose wisely 2) most serious award winning role are for characters of 40+ up which some roles are really extreme to the level of near-psychopath, which at this time I personally don't want her to do that. Just the role of Yeon-Seo who can be aggressive or sad sometimes but can be also cute and lovely is enough for me to show her versatile skill.

I think in the future when she reached the 3rd stage that she got hugh popularity and became A-list veteran actress or becomes older suitable to take those serious roles, and have freedom to take any role and still get love from audience, then I think she will definitely choose to do it.  

So it's only the matter of time and we just have to wait and enjoy the ride right now.  :love::kiss_wink::innocent:

(edited)

I read the news about Ballet Association gave award to ALML drama to help promote ballet.

I think SHS should received awards from violinist/classical musician/soprano singers/carpenter/designer/prosecutor/fried-chicken cook/truck driver/watermelon seed-blower/choco-pie  association too (but please not from suicider association).

Hi @immorethant - so well said. You are doing such a wonderful job of expressing for so many of us what it means to be Hye-Sun-ssi fan. I couldn't be happier knowing you're taking such a good care of everything on these threads and keeping this a happy, thoughtful and considerate place of respect and love for all who love our Muse for whatever of 3017 milliion different reasons why she is our One and Only Love still.

Thank you again, to everyone, all the regulars and noobs and all my lovely Chingoos here. (Some day I'll go back and like everyone's posts, something I managed to do on every page until now.)

Looking back, it's funny how SHS was able to dominate the ratings across the board during MGL days, and yet I was very far from happy during those days - now, while I'm sadly busy with RL, regardless of any ratings or any of that, I couldn't be happier for oori Baby Hye-Sun-ssi and all that's been happening here and all over the drama land becoz of her. It's great to know we can keep supporting her through her next projects no matter what happens as ALML winds down. I am very much looking forward to the next 4 eps without a worry in the world, becoz I just have this faith that Dan and Yeon-Seo will be united forever and we'll all be crying happy tears.

And this was posted elsewhere but perhaps someone forgot to put it here. Thanks, @mylovekge for pointing it out on your twitter. And @jakey09 for posting.

Finally, I took a minute to make these, since it nicely sums up for me what makes ALM:L special for mee.

giphy.gif Korean

giphy.gif Anglais

In 3 convenient flavors.

giphy.gif Meeinglish

This is the definition of the perfect gif. Notice she:

1. Gets an offer to 'go all the way' from an angelic male (who's a virgin I'm sure). This isn't a common offer.

2. She maintains her virtue by responding properly as a good girl deserving of an angelic man of faith should, refusing to consider the offer on first blush.

3. But he, though a virgin angel without experience, manages to follow up his greasy one-liner (you wanna sleep with me?) with 'you said you remembered everything' - full of innuendo that leaves it wide open for our imaginations to go wild with (I leave this as homework for the pupils here).

4. Her being flustered seated in front of a very forward-sounding man reminded me of my favorite moment from 5-Children on Yeon-Tae and Sang-Min's first day of dating. Yeon-Seo was leaking Yeon-Tae badly here.

5. And best of all, as the ultimate fan service in the short scene, she invokes my humble name of Meechuttso somehow.

gqysOuZ.jpg&key=ecd5ecc865d45b2e688a97d0

Let me borrow this @immorethant

And I will know, 'though soft ye tread around me,
And then my grave shall richer sweeter be,
Then you'll bend down and tell me that you love me,
And I shall rest in peace until you come to me.

• Love 6

There are so many things that I want to say,  please allow me to put in bullet points so i can arrange my thought.

• @meechuttso, oh !! I'm so glad to see you , really missed you.  Last night and this morning I had a thought that you've been gone for a while and if you don't show up soon I may do a gif for the scene that Yeon Seo closed her eyes and prayed for Dan to come out (but I will add my subtitle saying that 'Meechuttso, please come out' instead  :P).
  • And thank you so much for your thought of me.
  • This morning , I also had a thought to post that photo with the funny pun of SHS organizing food catering for ALML team. But I totally forgot later when I arrived my office because the beginning of each month is very busy time of my work and I have to finish my tasks as many  as possible today, so tomorrow I can go home early to watch ALML :lol:.  But seeing your post here, I told myself, even if I'm so busy I still have to reply.
  • You also spoke my mind ,  I think Yeon Seo is such a great character because she was the combination of previous SHS's roles.  All the cute scene of Yeon Seo reminded me of Yeon Tae.  :wub:  Seo-Ri may be a lovely character for me but she's somehow rather innocent like a teenager , but Yeon Seo and Yeon Tae is quite similar when she was shy and showed her sweet side (and both also took pictures of their boyfriend :D). When YS was in despair or frustrated by her evil aunt, she looked the same as Eun Soo.  When she got angry , she can be fierce like Ji-An.  And when she was sad , she cried so beautifully like Sim-Deok. 
  • Yesterday I skimmed watching some scenes of MGL on Netflix and Wow!! the picture quality in true HD is so good and image of Ji-An is so much more beautiful than the version that I previously watched from other sources.
  • And I hope to see you more often here.  I always feel that I'm a visitor and when I visited this house but couldn't find the owner, sometimes I felt sad. :tears:  

LTVOxGS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 7/1/2019 at 2:04 PM, immorethant said:

I understood you @titania1000

My least favorite SHS role is Cha Shi-Ah.

I admitted that even though how much I love SHS (and JJH and LMH), I can't really watch this drama for the second time.:confounded:

Everyone has their most and least favorite drama/characters.  

I was lucky with  this one: since JJH and LMH are on my  never watch list, i had no conflict to dismiss it completely! :mrgreen:

Indeed, once a while we all stumble on a character, who really rub us up the wrong way because it touches a nerve.:sweatingbullets:

I think my problem with Yeon Seo reveals that i can't stand characters that readily accept to be deceived and ignore all the warnings that they got and end completely fooled. That's for me what's happening with Dan. 

The guy is a mess and firmly determined to become a problem for himself and for others by confronting the deity and putting her life in danger, instead of just accepting the fact that he can't control his fate and that death is inevitable. He's deceiving her by promising a happy ending. He's already doomed. 

She has been betrayed and told lies countless times before but each time she forgives him and swept the issues under the rug.

The worst is  that she knows it, she admitted to have been mislead to few people, she recognized that few people (Kang Woo, Ms Jung, Hu)  tried to warn her, but she's still doing it anyway because she's too dependent on him to accept their separation.

This kind of story where a character is entrapped in her own contradictions without an issue is very frustrating to watch. Even more when it happens repeatedly and that the characters doesn't seem to learn anything.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:30 PM, immorethant said:

What !!!!  :blink:

Wait !!!!  :scream:

Really !!!!  :love:

I've never seen Netflix aired any long length family K-drama before.

And for me, when Netflix decided to buy any K-drama , they will select based on actor's name (sometimes they bought bad drama just becuase of that :P ) .  I don't think they aired this because PSH.

So it means now SHS works probably recognized by Netflix ?  

Oh...I can't wait to see '30but17' on there too. :innocent:

What I love about Netflix is that they also got Korean subtitle which really helpful for learning Korean. :lol:

I stopped subscribing for Netflix for many months , probably it's time to go back renew to watch SHS again in real HD (after ALML ends).

So a drama that was previously free on KBS World TV is now charged:(. By the way it seems like all their week end dramas have disappeared from their YT channel. They kept only their specials. 

Suscribing Netflix is costly: i can't afford it all the year. Also we never know when a show disappear from the site. It happened to me that i couldn't finish a show because of that.      

However it's a sign that K-drama have become a big deal on the platform. I knew it since Kingdom and its massive budget, but it was a special kind of drama: rooted in a niche genre (horror and zombies). This time netflix really wants to make kdrama mainstream.  

On 7/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, iffy21 said:

Personally, I don't SHS would have ignored if she could but rather the drama conflicted with her movie innocent movie. I did watch this one and liked it and yes, SHS can easily pull this off and maybe in 2020 we will see new production of hers that is not romcom.

And to be honest, her new film is kind of a thriller while tomb robbery will be more action based. I am very excited for her as she is now also breaking out in the film industry. Moreover, I honestly believe ALML has set her part from other actresses in her age group, the way she transformed into a ballerina/cold person/cute person is absolutely remarkable. 

I think you're right about the conflict of schedule : Less than Evil was preproduced if my memory is good and they started filming in september while she was back on set of The Hymn of Death to complete her scenes. Maybe even earlier in august  when she was still filming 30but 17.

It's not like the drama was an absolute must see in the same way as Secret Forest, or that it was prestigious or very popular but it could have been a milestone for her to do a well written dark character in a thriller the same year that she did an historical drama and a romcom...  

About her films, i'm excited the most  about her co-stars: Lee Je Hoon is  clearly a favourite of mine and it's been too long since i watched one of his project. I'm still waiting for Signal 2 (and i pray that SHS could find a character to play on this probable masterpiece.) 

Bae Jong Ok has such a powerful effect on me that i feel tempted to watch her new drama which starts this month only because of her! 

However i fear that those films won't be enough popular and thus not easily available.:(

On 7/1/2019 at 4:49 PM, immorethant said:

I admitted that I hate that phsyco woman character in Luther.  That's only reason that I can't finish watching that series although I love Idris Elba.  :P  I personally think that even SHS acted as a bad person but she has something in her real personality that's still lovely and probably so hard to hate her.  So right now I still can't imagine she played in Lee Seol's role.  She may have skill to play that role and my imagination just may be not be able to get that visual. 

@titania1000 It's so irony that your day for favorable serious role of SHS may need some waiting until it comes.  For me,  I also feel that my day for favorable rom-com of SHS roles are numbered :D.   Thriller, mystery,  horror, action genre used to be my type when I was a teenager and I watched so many of them , but don't know why right now my heart becomes too weak to watch anything intense.   I think my days of watching drama or movie may come to an end soon, probably I should read books or do meditation instead.  LOL :P

So I hope 'Innocent' will not give me too much excited :blush:

I haven't watched Luther but people who watched both versions said that the two characters Alice and Eun Sun Jae were different despite a common past.

I was never able to hate Eun Sun Jae because her tragic life was a real descent in hell. It explained completely her motivations and actions. She was a brilliant antiheroine who didn't hurt innocent people. Even her bad actions were a way  to take power back in her life and to punish people who would never have been caught by justice for their crimes. So i was on her side from the beginning to the end, except for her fascination for the male lead that did her more harm than anything else.

She was closer to  Yeon Seo than it seems: the Yeon Seon who uses her brain, doesn't let Dan gaslight her, tries to help people instead of shouting at them.  

So we are the opposite! :lol:

No way that rom-com would disappear: It's the most popular genre!

Actresses like SHS will keep doing them for a long time. Maybe she will film more melo like A Wife's credentials or Alone in Love (more my kind of story) when she will turn older but she won't stop doing them.     

Innocent means this is back and i'm all for it (not really she's a lawyer not a prosecutor but who cares, she looks brilliant)! :love:

fsecret18.jpg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, titania1000 said:

Suscribing Netflix is costly: i can't afford it all the year. Also we never know when a show disappear from the site. It happened to me that i couldn't finished a show because of that.      

However it's a sign that K-drama have become a big deal on the platform. I knew it since Kingdom and its massive budget, but it was a special kind of drama : rooted in a niche genre (horror and zombies). This time netflix really wants to make kdrama mainstream.  

I think because lately Disney is going to open their own channel , and lately some of Netflix original movie/drama didn't quite reach the level of high standard.   So they have to find a new market on K-drama, by buying big lot of old K-dramas and providing budget for new production. Some are hit, some are miss.  Actually I also prefer the time that full episode of KBS drama can be watched on Youtube. Now everything is about business and money.  :unsure:

1 hour ago, titania1000 said:

So we are the opposite! :lol:

No way that rom-com would disappear: It's the most popular genre!

Yes, we are the opposite, but just the opposite in terms of our genre preferences, which is not a big deal for our friendship , right ?

Because in common, we both love Shin Hye Sun, we just hope to see her acting in our preferred genre.  So being a versatile actress as she is, I think we will see various dramas/characters from her and surely can have our enjoyments.   :blush:

• Love 2

2 hours ago, immorethant said:

I think because lately Disney is going to open their own channel , and lately some of Netflix original movie/drama didn't quite reach the level of high standard.   So they have to find a new market on K-drama, by buying big lot of old K-dramas and providing budget for new production. Some are hit, some are miss.  Actually I also prefer the time that full episode of KBS drama can be watched on Youtube. Now everything is about business and money.  :unsure:

Hopefully it won't last: people might complain that they can't watch their drama anymore and they will revert to free streaming on YT.

MGL is having a strange road for a family drama: it was sold to Japan, licenced on DVD and now it's on Netflix.

I would have never imagined that SHS could have reached such a large audience with a week-end drama!    

2 hours ago, immorethant said:

Yes, we are the opposite, but just the opposite in terms of our genre preferences, which is not a big deal for our friendship , right ?

Because in common, we both love Shin Hye Sun, we just hope to see her acting in our preferred genre.  So being a versatile actress as she is, I think we will see various dramas/characters from her and surely can have our enjoyments.   :blush:

It's absolutely not big a deal for our friendship!:kiss_wink:

I'mm 100% with you: as long as she shines, it's all of for good!   

I'm grateful indeed that SHS is a smart girl who knows very well contrary to me to enjoy all genres and formats as long as she gets to live her passion.:lol:

But we can also  do a flowers petal game like Yeon Seo to share equally SHS's work: one rom-com for you, one thriller for me!:mrgreen: 

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

But we can also  do a flowers petal game like Yeon Seo to share equally SHS's work: one rom-com for you, one thriller for me!:mrgreen: 

Yes, one for you and one for me :blush:

And I don't see why Eun-Soo and Seo-Ri can't be friends. :love:

Y1XvdBp.jpg

• Love 3

50 minutes ago, immorethant said:

Yes, one for you and one for me :blush:

And I don't see why Eun-Soo and Seo-Ri can't be friends. :love:

That's a deal! :lol:

Her smile on both pics is magical:heart:

I agree totally: they can be friends because  Eun Soo was revealed  to be a sweet girl in the end but so lonely! 

Seo -Ri would be very supportive her and wouldn't let her work all the time! :blush:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Love this so much that I can’t sleep until posting it.

Otherwise I will forget in the morning.

:love::kiss_wink::heart:

• Love 4

5 minutes ago, immorethant said:

Love this so much that I can’t sleep until posting it.

Otherwise I will forget in the morning.

My favourite Yeon Tae:love:

2 hours ago, jakey09 said:

What does Sunny say?

Lee Yeon Seo !!  I like you :heart:.

vy5ZT0x.jpg

From KBS IG

• Love 5

'Dan, Only One Love' Shin Hye-Sun, Extraordinary character interpretation conveyed

0000528904_001_20190703101630822.jpg?typ

From https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000528904?cluid=enter_201907030840_00000004&lfrom=twitter

'Dan, Only One Love' Shin Hye-Sun, Extraordinary character interpretation conveyed

'Dan, Only One Love' Shin Hye-Sun, Extraordinary*** character interpretation conveyed****

*** 남다른 - unique, uncommon, extraordinary
****통하다 - to connect with / communicate with / 'get through to' someone, as in language or message

2019.07.03. 10:16AM

[Sports Seoul - Jung Ha-Eun reporting]

ALM:L - Is it possible to imagine a Lee Yeon-Seo who is not Shin Hye-Sun?

Shin Hye-Sun, in KBS2's ALM:L (writ Choi Yoon-Kyo, dir Lee Jung-Seob), with a variety of 'charm-appeals' and acting, amidst high acclaims of her as "Truly* Trust-and-Watch Shin Hye-Sun", is proving her mettle of an irreplaceably** powerful actress.*** With her solid internal foundation, her uniquely own colorful acting commands spotlight****, leading viewers' to praises - we hereby retrace the evidence of Shin Hye-Sun's "hot-blooded effort".
*   역시 - truly, of course, as expected, certainly
**  대체 불가능 - impossible to substitute/replace
*** 연기파 - acting fairy or 'boss' of acting
****빛을 발하다 - showing its worth, commanding value

6-month steady ballet practice and visually impaired person role too - "Blood . Sweat . Tears"

That Shin Hye-Sun, upon deciding to take on the Fantazia Ballet's prima ballerian Lee Yeon-Seo character as her next work, had immediately entered into ballet practice is an already told fact. Starting from this January, ballet practice has continued right up to the last phase of the very recent shooting. Having felt responsibility for the premise of (portraying) a genius ballerina, even with the tight shooting schedule of the lead actress, she sliced and diced her time to participate in practices, and in order to bring about realistic character portrayal/actualization and scenes of deep immersion, she expended serious depth of efforts. Thus through her efforts and strengthened with love from the mass audience, the ballet scenes recorded the highest level of interest/inquiry each episode and caused hot topicality/buzz. Add to this, effortlessly pullling off the important 'eye-acting' of a (non-congenital/not born with) visually impaired person and receiving praises, Shin Hye-Sun told how before shooting, "through 'dialog in the dark' demonstration she personally experienced visually impairment," and "while expressing it was difficult, tried hard to bring to life maximum feels," thus revealing the supreme efforts and professionalism for her role, drew our attention.

Role plus role, Dual-role challenge! "Toxic balleria Lee Yeon-Seo vs free-spirited ballerina Choi Seol-Hee"

Shin Hye-Sun, in taking up the role of genius ballerina Lee Yeon-Soe, who at the beginning of the story loses her parents to accident and becomes an heir but from those approaching her with greed for her wealth had become untrusting of people, has shown off acting transformation that contrasts starkly from her previus works. In the middle of all this as the story unfolds, as the one with a face just like Lee Yeon-Seo, Ji Gang-Woo (by Lee Dong-Gun)'s past lover Choi Seol-Hee, she appeared, catching viewers by a complete surprise. Cho Seol-Hee is a carefree spirit who dances non-chalantly in the middle of the street with an easy-going personality, even displaying fluent English speaking**, as the polar opposite of prickly Lee Yeon-Seo she gathered much gaze (attention). Even in short appearances as Lee Don-Gun's past apparition***, flashing her fragrant image and gaze, a mood(atmosphere)-altering surprising bewtiching character was just the beginning, also even capturing Seol-Hee's tragic narration and leaving sorrowful**** afterglow in our family(theater)-rooms. In fact even before shooting began, to maximize the two characters' contrasts, we are told Shin Hye-Sun had shown extraordinary effort in ballet but also modern dance, English prounciations, even studying phonics/voice modulations/intonations.
**  [Translation note: her English probably sounded plenty fluent to the non-English speaking audience or this writer]
*** Reminiscence [Translator takes artistic liberty to use the word apparition (of Seol-Hee) here instead.]
****먹먹한 - stunned, kind of like ears feeling deaf from shock

Extraordinary/Unique character analysis / portrayal conveyed! Each episode 'role-of-a-lifetime' reprise (she is in the middle of doing).

With thorough character analysis(absorption/portrayal) and most special levels of depth in her acting, Shin Hye-Sun is painting Lee Yeon-Seo's complex-peculiar (line of) emotion (emotive arc?) and each episode unfurling (unveiling her) acting-of-a-lifetime (epic acting). From the at-first prickly and cold(hearted) look, and as she meets Dan (by Kim Myung-Soo) and falls in love, experiences of her heart-flutter, her happiness, sadness, worrisome (turbulent) romance , her complex emotional arc that changes from one hour to the next, she is 'subliminating' with her natural-born acting abilities, conveying these absolutely flawlessly*** to the family room theaters. Especially in the story, in the difficult (digest of and) interpretation of Lee Yeon-Seo's performance preparation as well as for the appearance of Giselle, the star of tragic love story, too, Shin Hye-Sun poured forth her efforts for a perfect character interpretation through her endlessly repeated analysis and study. Thus making it impossible for viewers to imagine a Lee Yeon-Seo who is not Shin Hye-Sun.
*** 고스란히 - copying/reproducing (without alteration)

'Dan, One and Only Love' (ALM:L) through which Shin Hye-Sun's mania-level (hot-blooded) efforts are sparkling brightly, is airing every Wed/Thu at 10pm.

jayee212@sportsseoul.com

Photo | YNK entertainment

So many pretty posts of our Queen, but a relatively rare article attempting to capture what is so extraordinary about her right now - well worth translating and sharing with my meechingoos here.

Happy 본방사수 - live streaming!! :wub:

• Love 3
  • Thanks 3