Shin Hye Sun In Talks To Lead New tvN Historical Fusion Drama

Shin Hye Sun In Talks To Lead New tvN Historical Fusion Drama

Mar 17, 2020
by S. Nam

Shin Hye Sun is in talks to star in a new tvN drama!

On March 17, News1 reported that Shin Hye Sun had received the offer to star as the female lead for the upcoming tvN drama “Queen Cheorin” (literal title).

Following the reports, Shin Hye Sun’s agency YNK Entertainment commented, “Shin Hye Sun has received the offer to star as the female lead Kim So Yong for ‘Queen Cheorin,’ and she is positively reviewing the offer.”

With Joseon Dynasty as the background, “Queen Cheorin” will be a bright and comedic fusion sageuk (Korean historical drama). The drama will be written by scriptwriter Park Gye Ok who wrote “Doctor Prisoner” and “Inspiring Generation,” and it will be helmed by PD (producing director) Yoon Sung Shik who directed “Hwarang” and “Tower of Babel.”

“Queen Cheorin” will be about Bong Hwan, a man living in modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon Dynasty. The drama will tell the story from a refreshing perspective while showcasing a new type of genre as it takes on the fight against gender stereotypes.

After making her debut through KBS’s “School 2013,” Shin Hye Sun rose to fame through her role in the KBS weekend drama “Five Enough” back in 2016. Since then, she has starred in numerous projects including SBS’s “The Legend of the Blue Sea,” tvN’s “Forest of Secrets,” KBS’s “My Golden Life,” SBS’s “30 but 17,” and KBS’s “Angel’s Last Mission: Love.” Recently, she has also been confirmed to star in the film “Innocence.”

“Queen Cheorin” is scheduled to air sometime in November.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1388737wpp/shin-hye-sun-in-talks-to-lead-new-tvn-historical-fusion-drama

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

생존신고

Hello everyone.  :heart:

Are you still okay ? Hope you all and every Shin Hye Sun's fans are alright and healthy.

Here are my random thoughts.

• Thank you so much @meechuttso for asking about me.  Hope you are ok too.  :wub: and thank you for translation. 
  • Thank you  @Ni Wen for asking and sharing good news of SHS' new work.  I'm so glad she will be in sageuk drama, one of my dream comes true. :lol: I can't wait to see her playing both male and female role. And also want to know who will be her male lead. (Or probably she may take both roles).
  • Thank you also @Man-O-Man for sharing your thought, it's a bit unfortunately of 'Innocence' postponement.  I hope we can see it soon. 
  • Nice to see you again @iffy21 and @chibico1020  
  • I admit that I didn't have any mood to follow much of SHS's news lately, I want to read news or translate more of her clip but really couldn't focus on that. :sweatingbullets:
  • Before Covid-19, everyday when I woke up I thought if there's any news about Hye Sun today?'
  • Now, everyday I thought if I get infected already ?  Where can I find more mask ? or hand sanitizer ? or alcohol ? Should I wash my hands again ? My parents went outside today, will they be safe ?   Someday I got sick and thought about if I should quarantine myself  :tears:  
  • Only thing I could think about SHS lately was I hope she is healthly and please do not put her fingers in her mouth too often, because it's not safe now. :sweatingbullets: 
  • But now after seeing news of lockdowns in many countries and saw clips of people still sang on their balconies, tried to encourage themselves, and of course seeing the news of SHS’ new drama.  That made me accept the truth that this situation will be continued for at least one or two months, and I can't go-on living with all those worries everyday.  

So, let it be, whatever it will be.  And let's celebrate, support and enjoy our actress we love. Who knows, if the situation get better soon, then this year we will see her in 2 movies and 1 drama :blush:

Again, I hope all of you here are fine and healthy, take care. :kiss_wink:

This is from Cine21 magazine, many days ago.

M1MBcwb.jpg

eRlyjew.jpg

Repost this (retouched) fan art,  hope to see the real photo from her drama soon !!

NC7qAmI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

@immorethant Good to hear of you again and glad you and everyone here is safe. I absolutely know how you feel and can relate to you so much. I am just glad that now in the UK we have been told to work from home and unfortunately, this situation we find ourselves in 2020 will last for couple of more months. Lets all stay positive and happy thoughts. People signing on their balconies in Italy made me cry, while those selfish people around the world buying things in bulk made me pissed off and sad to witness this.

But, just like you Chingoo I am pleased with today's news and will keep the happy thoughts to get us through this. Stay Strong!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Amidst the gloomy news that seems to get worse every day comes a ray of golden sunshine. The announcement of Shin Hae Sun's new drama is such a spirit lifter.  I missed all of you a lot since this virus showed up and I worry about you and your loved ones. I worry about HS because in many promotional videos she often touches her face with her hands, and there is the tendency in Korea to cover your mouth with your hand when laughing out loud.  But today, after reading all your posts about her new drama, I feel a refreshing new hope. Thank you all for that and thank you Shin Hae Sun for reminding us that life goes on no matter what. Also, thank you South Korea for your leadership on how to take on the world's biggest health crisis. If every country followed Korea's methods, the world would be much safer. I feel very vulnerable in Canada mostly because of the lack of leadership across the border in the USA. 

But enough of that. Today is a hopeful day. I can't wait to hear more about this intriguing drama. It sounds like it may be ground breaking in concept and an acting challenge like no other for HS. I'm already picturing her accepting the award for best actress because I know she will slay this role (or is it roles?). It sounds like a fantasy drama which are my favourite. I just hope sadness is kept to a minimum and happiness is around every corner.  

Welcome back everyone. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, immorethant said:

생존신고

Hello everyone.  :heart:

Lol, "notice of aliveness" in Korean - you are, if not a man trapped in a 19th century queen's body, surely a korean soul trapped in another Asian body @immorethant

6 hours ago, immorethant said:

NC7qAmI.jpg

Daebak!! :wub::w00t:

Happy Shut-In Drama-binges everyone (although I only wish I could).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Dear @immorethant glad to hear you're ok. The coronavirus is here to stay, it'll be a long fight. Don't worry yourself unnecessarily. Practice clean habits and mask up when you're out and the rest is seriously beyond our control. Cheer up and be happy while we wait for Hyesun new works. We are all in this together everyone so please stay safe and keep your spirits up.

Meanwhile I'm so excited with this new potential drama! I hope she confirms this soon. It is like a character (crude and maybe badass) that she have not done before like what she said in the Bazaar interview. Hope a good male lead and stellar cast awaits.

@Man-O-Man i think it just got changed back to the original title Tomb Robbery :lol:

• Love 2
  • Awesome 1

More photos from 'Cine21' magazine.

(Credits :  @dearmy____X  and  @Salmonahan )

SBEIboQ.jpg

I50pojz.jpg

KjasHn0.jpg

Some thoughts about her new drama.

• I think SHS will take this drama because YNK will not let this news released if SHS hasn't said yes to the project. And the news said the drama will be aired in November so I think most production team and casts must be already confirmed and prepared.
  • However, I don't hope much for the male lead. If he's a big name then there should be an annoucement already.  Perhaps they are looking or negotiating with some actors and hope releasing the news of SHS considering the role will help the actor makes up his mind more easily to join.    
  • I'm curious about the word 'sexy comedy' genre, made me think of this scene.

MCzPH2D.gif

I think SHS will suit well with this role because she can do comedy with her facial expression and posture as in 'She Was Pretty', 'Five Enought', '30but17' and some scenes in ALML.  And in recent variety shows she also proved that she's good at this.  She is 'the Queen of Comedy Meme'.

•  The role of this charactor who is a modern guy goes back in time and trapped in Joseon Queen's body is so matched with SHS.  Because she is charming and elegant for the queen's role and also her personality is more of modern girl and also has awkwardness side which suits well for the character that found him/herself in different time and gender.  So she can play like a queen who acts like a modern girl and don't have to worry much of silly criticism that she talks too fast. :P
  • Just imagine the story will begin with SHS who is a queen but she acts like a guy, talks like a guy, walks like a guy.. ..must be so funny. And the next she must learn the royal manners and behave like a queen, (there must be another great eating scene from her surely).. And later she will fall in love with a guy (probably her bodyguard), inside she sees herself as a man but she starts to feel like a woman , this conflict must be very awkward and hilarious at the same time (and there will be another accidental kissing scene).  Oh, I can't wait to watch this drama. :love::joy:
  • And her roles are getting more powerful and richer.. :D    From a poor girl who lost her jobs and was bullied so many times in MGL,  to a homeless girl in 30but17 , to a soprano singer in HOD who got famous after she was dead but was banned from any performance when she's alive,  then to a bad*ss chaebol's daughter in ALML.  And now she will become a queen !! :glasses:  Really want to know what her next role will be. 

Have a nice day and take care of yourself and your family's health everyone.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

(from cine_21 IG's last photo).

Q. 시나리오를 처음 읽었을 때 정인은 어떤 인물로 보몄나.

When you first read the scenario (script), what kind of character did Jung-In look like?

이제껏 작업한 캐릭터 중에서 가장 접근하기 어려웠다.

그럼에도 정인이 엄마의 무죄를 입증하는 과정에서 예상치 않은 과거의 비밀들을 알게 되면서 변화하는 과정에 몰입했고, 덕분에 시나리오가 술술 읽혔다. 이런 시나리오를 만날 수 있어 행운이다.

So far, among the character I've ever worked on , this is the most difficult to approach.

Nevertheless, in the process of proving her mother's innocence, Jung-In came to know unexpected secrets of the past so she immersed in a process of changing, and this made me read the script pleasantly (smoothly). I was lucky to find a script like this.

• Love 3
  • Awesome 2

To play a role that has both male and female charcteristics, then evolve the character into an integrated whole across two different eras, while playing an historical character in a comedic format has got to be a complex task for an actor. If SHS wanted to challenge herself in a role that stretches her acting skills into new areas and new heights then Queen Cheorin sounds like the perfect fit. That this drama will explore gender sterotypes in the context of both modern and historical morality makes it all the more challenging. The director and screenwriter must be overjoyed that one of the world's best actresses took this role. I suddenly can't wait for next November. By then, if the universe cooperates, we will still be on a high from experiencing Innocence and Collector (or Tomb Raider), when along comes Queen Cheorin. Ecstacy! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, iffy21 said:

and I am so glad not to hear KBS for once. :phew:;)

Hands up on this.:lol: Totally glad.

I've had enough of the xxxx KBS. I'm so sorry but to me their actions always tells they do not really treasure Hyesun as they claim to. Just look at what they did (or should I say didn't do) for Innocence. @iffy21 :P

• LOL 4

Read some comments said that the plot of 'Queen Cheorin' is similar to an online Chinese series 'Go Princess Go'. 

Synopsis :  A modern playboy travels back in time 1,000 years and finds himself in the body of a royal princess. A straight man inside a woman's body, he enjoys flirting with his husband's concubines and touching their bodies with impunity. But after discovering his more feminine side, he truly falls in love with his husband. (from wikipedia)

Synopsis : A contemporary ladies' man time traveled to the ancient time into the body of crown princess Zhang Peng Peng who is in midst of marital troubles with her husband, the crown prince Qi Sheng. Thought the playboy enjoys flirting with the prince's concubines, he soon realizes that his personal safety and job security depends on the prince's whim. With body of a woman and mindset of a man, he seduces the prince while he plots to kill the husband so he can rise to the position of Empress dowager. (from DramaWiki)

450px-GoPrincessGo.jpg

7YXivz0.png

Though it's very hiliarious, I think the original version is a bit too sexy (blushed)  :flushed: . Don't know for sure how much similar this Korean drama will be.  But we may get some differences from the writer of 'Doctor Prisoner'.  Perhaps the reason that there's no news of male lead yet, because the production team must cast 3-4 hot actors for this drama :P

Spoiler

• Naughty 1
  • Awesome 2

Some parts of Shin Hye Sun's interview in Cine 21 magazine.

(Credit @dearmy____X twitter user for photo captures).

dl9hlQR.jpg

Jung-In as a lawyer who pursue the case tenaciously,  and in all respects the role of Young Eun-Soo as a junior prosecutor in drama 'Secret Forest' came across your mind naturally.

When I read the scenario first time,  I thought when people watch movie,  Eun-Soo will come in their minds.  Eun-Soo and Jung-In, because both characters were brought out from me, so I can't help if they seems like they are reproduction of myself. Both characters are similar in texture only, Eun-Soo is like a little younger while Jung-In is a mature person who lived her life with bitterness.

Spoiler

GCiK9X8.jpg

So it must have been a process for Jung-In to find out who she is.

Should I say Jung-In is like woman of mist/fog ?  She doesn't have personality to come often with big change in emotion, because of that lacking , throughout the shooting, there were many times I had to confirm the emotion. I also knew the truth of the situation the same time as the audience. Without this case, Jung In would have lived her life without knowing about herself.

As Jung In became aware of the truth, the emotions she experienced would gradually become clearer.

That's right.  Because of (afraid of) spoiler, it's difficult to explain in detail but at the time the truth of the case was revealed she had a clear goal about success but she didn't know her own feeling about her family, finally she would be able to face herself with her mother.

Spoiler

kA1Risn.jpg

Your first leading role in movie.

Whether it's a movie or a drama, every work is scary and burdensome. Camera cramping is so severe that I needed to take time to adjust myself at the shooting set.

'Diction Fairy' nickname that you received from clear pronunciation (in drama 'Secret Forest') , do you think it encouraged you (literally - strengthen heart).  (laugh)

No. My aim is to gradually reduce 'loading time' in adjusting (myself) in shooting set. It's much better than in the past but my heart was still pounding when I entered the set.

Spoiler

rhVzIM5.jpg

(This is the question to Bae Jong Ok)

The role of Lawyer Jung-In who come back to her hometown to prove her mother's innocence, so you intentionally didn't meet much with Shin Hey Sun.

It's a relationship between mother and daughter who being apart for a while. No matter how much of acting, acting alone can't do it 100%.  If you are closed, the friendliness will be noticed on screen, if you dislike, the dislikeness will be shown. In 'Innocence', it's especially important to express the sense of distance between Hye-Sun and me. So I rarely saw Hye-Sun on the scene and did not pretend/act so friendly.  Nowadays, it's the time to promote the movie, so we can get close to each other, made me feel much comfortable (laugh).

• Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1