23 hours ago, meechuttso said:

For me it was even more gratifying to see KHN and SHS - Kang Ha-Neul and Shin Hye-Sun, male/female Top Excellence Award winners at the same time - they were classmates at the same art high school and he while being younger had a much quicker start, has made numerous movies, and had a much bigger role in 'Angel Eyes' when SHS' role was a mere few minutes on-screen, watching how they are literally the top 2 young actors of SK is just such a sweet moment to dwell on.

Thank you to our good friends at @shinhyesunintl !

Thank you to KBS. Such a beautiful way to start 2020. Our vision ? The Very Perfection Herself. :phew:

PS - Best of all, our Shin-Hye-Sun-fairy, @immorethant herself has come back to post her blessings! Now we know the trick to get her back - just close our eyes, click our heels 3 times and whisper, "Sheeee-in - Heh - Sun" !!

Thanks and Happiest of New Year again to you @Ni Wen and @iffy21 and @Man-O-Man and @ayupkurnia and many others. :wub:

Edited by meechuttso
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

On 1/1/2020 at 9:13 AM, meechuttso said:

But it was satisfying to see KMS and SHS not only in the best couple, but KMS also getting more love with other prizes, and also the announcement that he's got a new one lined up with KBS in March (where he plays a cat?).

ENP6iAYUwAEVgMU.jpg:large

Yes, just one more, Yess!! :w00t::wub: Is KMS going to be a black cat ?

Credit https://twitter.com/Rey_heyheyy

• Love 3

There are nuances in Korean language and culture that I just can't process. During the award show when they showed the Shin Hye Sun segment from her debut in School 2013, the commentary from her co-host spoke about her being ugly back then, and then he goes on to say she hasn't changed much, implying she is still ugly.  SHS countered saying that she has indeed changed, she is prettier now, which kind of acknowledged the ugly comment. 

The word ugly obviously has a different connotation in Korea than In Canada, where it would be fairly insulting to be called ugly, even in a joking way. I personally think her School 2013 look was cute and pretty as can be - certainly not even close to my understanding of ugly. I know its just semantics but just for the record, as the world's foremost authority on beautiful women, I hereby declare Shin Hye Sun to be the second most beautiful woman in the world, right after my wife. :D

• LOL 1

6 hours ago, Man-O-Man said:

There are nuances in Korean language and culture that I just can't process. During the award show when they showed the Shin Hye Sun segment from her debut in School 2013, the commentary from her co-host spoke about her being ugly back then, and then he goes on to say she hasn't changed much, implying she is still ugly.  SHS countered saying that she has indeed changed, she is prettier now, which kind of acknowledged the ugly comment. 

I'm so sorry, may I correct something if you don't mind ? I'm just afraid that English translation may cause issue or misunderstanding. 

Actually the word that Jun Hyun Moo said is the 'School 2013' clip is  흑역사 (black history)  

흑 (Heuk)= black/dark   역사 (Yeok-Sa)= history

Don't know why English translation in streaming video site used the word 'ugly past'. 

My English is also poor to explain this word, so I would like to refer to this instead.

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/5627533

흑역사 (black history) = Things you want to hide from the past, for example, your photos from school years which could look a little dorky. This often being used on the internet when one wants to make fun of someone's past.

So he meant the 'School 2013' clip (and also Kang Ha Neul's old clip) are things from long time ago that both may feel little embarassed to be shown in public.  As he said,  the purpose to show is to make funny atmosphere and to see both actors got shy.  I think there was no bad intention here. 

NK6J15K.gif

(credit : DC inside)

JJbILG6.gif

(Credit : OAO3017 twitter) 

And then Jun Hyun Moo said that SHS looks exactly the same , I think he praised her by meaning that she was beautiful then and also beautiful now. And SHS responsed by saying that she changed a lot and now she is prettier (which is the way of her usual humbleness and cheerful personality to say that she think she wasn't pretty then) , after saying that she might realize (I admire her quick wit, cleverness and humbleness here) that audience might interpret her word the wrong way that she's boasting herself, so she laughed to make it a joke and added ' 아닌가or not ? '  (like saying that she's not sure, 50-50 guess that she got prettier)  :rolleyes::wub:  

6tV6jrD.jpg

(from 'Happy Together')

Today I have a little free time to post , but just posting this it took me two hours already, because if I start to write, it's hard for me to stop myself from adding this and that and rambling on and on :sweatingbullets: .   

Have a happy Sunday.  Take care :heart:

A9LjarJ.jpg

Credit:   @fruits_wh   twitter.  

Good stuffs here also  

https://oao3017.tistory.com/27

https://www.instiz.net/name_enter/67857918?frompc=1

https://m.cafe.daum.net/SoulDresser/FLTB/195221?svc=topRank

https://m.blog.naver.com/fstdevil/221756482380

And this short video is available in 4k quality.  Best to watch on 4k TV or compatible devices. 

Spoiler

Two more of 4k-quality fan cam red carpet videos. 

(SHS at 2.20 min)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, immorethant said:

Don't know why English translation in streaming video site used the word 'ugly past'. 

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/5627533

흑역사 (black history) = Things you want to hide from the past, for example, your photos from school years which could look a little dorky. This often being used on the internet when one wants to make fun of someone's past.

Going the expanded definition you posted, "ugly past" is a very natural, idiomatic English translation. Similar phrases using "ugly" in this way (NOT referencing one individual's physical characteristics) are very, very common in L1 English. For example, given the definition you posted, references to Germany's "ugly past" would not be hard to find. "Ugly past" also avoids the possibility of "black history" being taken to refer to the history of people of African descent. "Shameful past" also fits the context. 

• Insightful 3

oMyMFO9.jpg

2 hours ago, slarti said:

"Shameful past" also fits the context. 

Thank you for clarification.  Agreed with you here.  'Shameful past' should be more decent. Please correct more if you find anything that you can add :wub:  My intention of explaining this original Korean word is that I'm afraid the translation/interpretation of 'ugly' word may make us misunderstand Jun Hyun Moo and to create another issue or create war with his supporter in this thread which I don't want that.  The last time we had clash or misunderstanding within this thread still hurt my feeling so much and I personally felt that some spirit of this thread were lost after that incident. (If you watched the ending of  'The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring' you will know how I feel. )  :bawling:  

Because I'm not English native speaker,  in my head I know the meaning of original word, but sometimes translation from Korean language to my native language and then to English language is quite difficult to me that I can't find the concise or precise word to describe it so I have to explain a word in longer sentence or in awkward word (sorry for that) :D

So when I think of the word 'ugly past' into my language literally, I don't feel much of negative meaning about one's appearance.  The same as the word 'black history', in my mind I don't have any link to African descent, just a feeling of some history hidden in the dark.  Interpretation is so difficult to deal with because it's based on cultural and background of each person. 

Sometime I really get frustrated that some sources in Korean about SHS were not translated to English and native Korean people seem like they prefer to keep it in Korean, not many want to translate to help spread information about SHS to wider fans around the world. And google translation got messy sometimes. 

That's why I'm so grateful for @meechuttso and some users on twitter or IG who helped translate for me and all friends and fans. Sometimes it's so hard for me too to study Korean and tried to imitate that kind of level, that's one reason for quite a while I felt so ashamed of my lacking ability and felt it's a big burden to a subpar like me to translate or to write long English, and that took me lots of time and made me really want to stop doing this (before it becomes my ‘shameful past’ too) :sweatingbullets:, but on the other hand, it makes me hurt too to see less English discussion/information about SHS and to see some of her ariticles or clips were neglected from translation or got mistranslation  :(. Because it's really far far beyond my ability, so  I really hope we can have someone who is really proficient in both Korean and English language to help distriubute SHS's information or translate all video clips for us.  Someone who has enough time, enough knowledge and addiction to do this for us fans.  Pleaseeeeee....:tears:

( Too long again, why can't I write anything shorter ? always rambling.  Bye. )

• Like 1
  • Love 3

To me this is an award ceremony. The writers for this show should have stayed a bit respectful and formal not make light of the hostess. It is not like the program is "Happy Together or Radio Star."  SHS is an amazing actress and as a native speaker and if she was my daughter, I am not amused by showing that clip knowing that it has a double meaning. I guess it depends how you see it but nevertheless Jun Hyun Moo left it vague for the audience to interpret and even that is not right in my eyes. I guess I need to lighten up but I SHS said she is so embarrassed that her hand is shaking. That means she was very uncomfortable.

• Like 3

@Helenpm I think we shouldn't over analysis this as it was just a trip down memory lane from KBS perspective. HS made her debute through KBS in School 2013 and even Kang Na Heul was the subject of his past debute on a show he took part in with his father. The shrieks HS let out was absolutely adorable and cute and the host as well as the writers for the show didn't do this to be malicious to HS. I for one don't see any issue with it and I love how KBS remember and brought to light how she debuted with them. For HS the broadcast station means allot to her and if you watch  KBS drama awards 2017 you will understand why. :D:D

She is the first personal to have been offered two years in a row MC gig at awards ceremony.  I am so looking forward to seeing her work this year.

@immorethant Thanks for the lovely posts and it is so good to see you bit active back here on this platform. Don't worry if your English is not that great as you do such an amazing job translating here for all of us HS fans. :wub::D

Fyi this article in Naver mentions Innocent and HS but don't understand too well to translate. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/477/0000226021

• Like 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Helenpm said:

I guess I need to lighten up but I SHS said she is so embarrassed that her hand is shaking. That means she was very uncomfortable

Hyesun was embarassed but she wasn't uncomfortable. In my eyes she was having fun though she was embarassed. Her shrieks was so real and cute and I'm glad the whole audience at the awards got to see how Hyesun had come so far in just 7 years. B)

I actually loved how KBS showed this clip in an award she is hosting. It just goes to show how Hyesun has grown in leaps and bounds from a newbie actress with barely a few lines who debuted in this very same station and went on to get a Excellence Award and a Top Excellence Award. It's such a significant milestone in her career. And I'm sure she felt that importance that KBS had intendedly planned for her as a host and as an actress who had shown her worth from her KBS debut School 2013, right up to Five Enough, My Golden Life and Angel's Last Mission: Love, all from KBS.

Though I might at times be pissed at KBS ( you guys my old friends will know why) but I have to say this School 2013 Debut Flashback was all good and done in a fun way. :D

Im not a fan of that MC too but I don't think he meant any harm. It was all done in the spirit of fun.:lol:

6 hours ago, immorethant said:

The last time we had clash or misunderstanding within this thread still hurt my feeling so much and I personally felt that some spirit of this thread were lost after that incident. (If you watched the ending of  'The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring' you will know how I feel. )

I totally feel the same way as you and much as I hate to admit, yes the spirit was lost. @meechuttso isn't posting and translating as much and i totally understand she's busy. Many old friends have left and the spirit is lost. Many of us were left hurt from that misunderstanding and I wish it never happens again. Cant help but feeling much guilt from contributing to the misunderstanding that time as well. I guess that's life. Things happened. But you know what, nothing is going to stop me from supporting Hyesun and I know you are on the same frequency as me too. :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Immorethant - thank you so much for your response, first because it helps explain the misperception about how the word ugly was used.  Second because you took the extra time to go beyond  a brief response and do more research when I know you are trying to cut back from that.  This applies to your posts on the Innocent forum as well. Thanks again. 

• Love 2

She kept asking so many questions to Kim Kang Hoon, the child actor from ‘When the  Camellia Blooms’.

How old are you ?

Is it school vacation now?
Does school vacation come late like that ?

So now do you go to school ?

Don’t you go to school today ?

yr7kCfWr.jpg

So she got nickname as ‘Question Fairy’ 질문요정 for category of school life curiosity.

:joy::joy::joy:

nVSXzgFr.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 4