Please allow me to post my different opinion.

For me, I  think this drama is a success.  Rating in average is still no.1 .  International fan's attention is high.

Even in my country, during airing time, people talked about 30but17 less than this drama .

If this drama can't be called a success then what to call other dramas that didn't even do better than this?

A romantic story that can make people fell in love with the OTP and worried about their ending is a successful.

Cinematography, OST are great.  The script  , I can’t say it’s flawless, but is good for giving character development of the OTP (especially YS character which is very smart, strong,  honest to her love and complex), mysteries or secrets were resolved properly, metaphor of ballet story with drama story was used adequately.  Not to mention SHS's acting and chemistry with KMS.  

For ranking, lately I stop paying too much attention. I prefer SHS keeps doing her good job and build up her quality filmography like what she's doing now.  In terms of statistics, even though  the survey said that it’s brand reputation ranking ‘during Jun19’ but the fact is the reputation didn’t just grow in a month, so those results can be called ‘bias’ from the old reputation .  You can see list of the top rank are mostly well-known actors/idol/model who worked as a lead and already built hugh millions fanbase for long time (even for KMS). How can we compare those with SHS who was just got attention in recent 3 years ?   I think we should be glad enough for her increasing rate of IG followers during this two months.

Statistic is also about interpretation and implication which can be done in bias in both positive or negative way. To demonstrate how bias the interpretation can be, I can also say from my view that. 

- If I take those score reputation and divided by the years that the actor started being in lead role, or by their screen time, I am sure that SHS will get in top 5.

- If you look at ‘buzzworthy’ and popolarity ranking , if another drama who got 1st place for both drama and actors index and even attempted to change its schedule to air earlier hoping to gain more rating, but the average rating still couldn’t beat ALML. I don’t see why can’t ALML be called a sucess ?  So you can see now that the rating (which is statistic) and brand/popularity index (also statistic) are conflicted here.  Because it's statistic based on people's opinion , not scientific fact.

- We don't know if changing schedule to air one drama from 10 pm to 9 pm will affect audience behavior to watch the other dramas in the next timeslot. Previously it's like there are many dishes of meal to choose and customer can have only 1 dish. So they have to choose possible best one. But now customer already ate 1 dish and then we offered them another dish, not sure how many customer still have eagerness to eat 2 dishes back-to-back .

(** no offense here, I didn't mean another drama is not good. Both are good but I don't like the way the media trying to make them compete to each other. Because when you start to compare something, all you will get are only bias , like my opinion above.)

My point for this long post is that recently it’s difficult to judge anything successful or not successful  ‘objectively’.  There are lots of underlying factors , and everything is so bias , my opinion is also bias, our like/dislike too. Even statistics can be bias or give different interpretations.  So is it bad that we can’t judge objectively ?  No.

As long as we aware that the most important thing is not those statistics but it’s  how we feel when watching drama / actors we love.  If we can still enjoy that, other things don’t matter. At least we are ‘subjectively successful’ to enjoy something. :blush:

• Love 2

On 6/30/2019 at 1:56 AM, immorethant said:

Sooooo Cuuuuuuteeeee  :love::kiss_wink::heart:

I think she want to bite something (as her usual habit) but she couldn't find anything to bite.

(Credit : DCinside)

OMG! My biting bit!! :wub:

• Love 2

@immorethant absolutely agree with your post. You totally spoke my mind!  It's already a feat for her, seeing those on the top are already big stars and whom are already popular for a long time. Brand reputation stems from popularity it's sad but it's true. She's just rising in these recent years and building up her profile while slowly gaining recognition. This is why we are all keeping tabs on how her IG followers are increasing fast every day with ALML ongoing. It is to me already a success for her and ALML. As a diehard fangirl of Hyesun, this speaks volumes and I AM just so proud of her.

By the way, according to the list, she scored high points (higher than some whose rankings are above her) in that first column. I'm curious what category is that, @immorethant ?

• Love 2

To translate verbatim.

첨여지수 = participation index

미디오지수 = media index 

소통지수 = communication index

커뮤니티지수 = community index

But I really don’t know what each one means in details and how to measure that.  I used to search many articles but got only vague explanation . Hopefully someone can explain to me in detail too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iffy21 said:

@kokkuri33 I don't get it either as this is so confusing, and even Lee Elijah is higher than SHS (nothing against the actress) but it doesn't make sense how our girl is at number 16.

Lee Elijah is great, one of my Top 5, but she spent June as an extremely-underutilized 2FL in "Chief of Staff", so that rating is befuddling.

33 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

@immorethant Thank you for your insightful analysis and  being the one who try to cheer us! 

I tend to be too much pessimistic and always favor the saddest interpretation. Your post helped me to keep my view more balanced.:)

It's probably too soon to judge the influence that this drama has on her career: after all there's still two weeks left.

Though my opinion is made and i can confirm it's my least favourite project in her filmography so far.

Least favorite project in her ENTIRE filmography? Seems like one of her supporting/guest roles in lackluster projects should get that title.

ALML has plenty of issues, but it does seem to display SHS' talent pretty well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Agreed with @kokkuri33.

What makes me so love and admire Shin Hye Sun is that she's still so good at choosing her role.

If you look at all dramas that aired during the first half of the year, for all female roles that aligned with SHS's age, you can tell that no character is better than Yeon Seo. This character gave her opportunity to show her acting skills in various ways (strong, arrogant, cute, fragile) , also gave her opportunity to dress in many beautiful clothes and showed people how determine she is to practice ballet. 

I think the first stage of SHS career is to find a breakthrough which she's already succeeded in MGL.

Now everyone accepted her as a good acting/quality actress, so at this moment is the 2nd stage to gain more love and popularity because she is in the age that can still do cute and romantic role.  (I think her team at YNK is also playing the same strategy).  ALML is a proof that she successfully got more fans and more love . Many criticisms she received from her previous dramas that she's not beautiful are now rarely seen with ALML, now I saw only comments on how beautiful and cute she is.

So being a (still) young cute girl with good acting skill, I think she's quite doing well to find a role that balancingly showed both sides of her that she can make you fell in love with her beauty and can make you cry when she cried, and sill got the young cute guy :P . And I still prefer ( and I think she also prefer doing) this kind of role for more 2-3 years. 

I understand that some fans may want to see her in more 'serious' role, I think it means more serious drama than rom-com or fantasy. But the point are 1) rom-com drama can also have complex serious character if the script is allowed , which I trusted SHS will always choose wisely 2) most serious award winning role are for characters of 40+ up which some roles are really extreme to the level of near-psychopath, which at this time I personally don't want her to do that. Just the role of Yeon-Seo who can be aggressive or sad sometimes but can be also cute and lovely is enough for me to show her versatile skill.

I think in the future when she reached the 3rd stage that she got hugh popularity and became A-list veteran actress or becomes older suitable to take those serious roles, and have freedom to take any role and still get love from audience, then I think she will definitely choose to do it.  

So it's only the matter of time and we just have to wait and enjoy the ride right now.  :love::kiss_wink::innocent:

(edited)

I read the news about Ballet Association gave award to ALML drama to help promote ballet.

I think SHS should received awards from violinist/classical musician/soprano singers/carpenter/designer/prosecutor/fried-chicken cook/truck driver/watermelon seed-blower/choco-pie  association too (but please not from suicider association).

• Love 2

My top favourite SHS character has always been Lee Yeontae from FE, but ALML's Lee Yeonseo is slowly chasing up in becoming another of my favourite character of hers to date.

This drama/role gave her the chance to leash out her best acting skills and ascertain the fact to those who have already recognised her solid acting AND at the same time to many others who don't know her yet that she's indeed one acting gem. It gave her the chance to portray two different roles, one with little lines, but she did it so well that everyone could see the contrast of the two characters and feel so much for that character. It gave her the chance to do ballet that nobody expected her to do well but yet it was convincing enough for audiences to relate to her when she made up for her lack of ballet skills with her expressional acting. It made more people notice her when her IG followers increased by thousands in just two weeks of ALML premiere and it could not be any better for her to build her popularity. 

She's still rising and she's still got so much to offer. I'm glad she's doing romcom in dramas and yet also doing different genres of non romcom in movies. Me as a fan loves and watches everything she's in regardless of the story, genre or writing. I'm just short of saying I'm so addicted to her acting that Just give me anything Shin Hye Sun and I'll watch! :lol: She's smart in choosing projects so far and she definitely knows what she wants in her projects. Innocent as a legal thriller will be good for those who don't like romcoms and I'm looking forward to that too. 

• Love 1

What !!!!  :blink:

Wait !!!!  :scream:

Really !!!!  :love:

I've never seen Netflix aired any long length family K-drama before.

And for me, when Netflix decided to buy any K-drama , they will select based on actor's name (sometimes they bought bad drama just becuase of that :P ) .  I don't think they aired this because PSH.

So it means now SHS works probably recognized by Netflix ?  

Oh...I can't wait to see '30but17' on there too. :innocent:

What I love about Netflix is that they also got Korean subtitle which really helpful for learning Korean. :lol:

I stopped subscribing for Netflix for many months , probably it's time to go back renew to watch SHS again in real HD (after ALML ends).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

Lee Seol is only 26 but snatched a role in Less than Devil (2018/2019) that i'm mad that SHS ignored. The producers held a large casting audition for the role. It was an adaptation of the british  tv show Luther. She played a spoiled princess  in appearance who is suspected by Shin Ha Kyun who plays a cop to be a serial killer. It's largely more complicated that he thinks of course and beyond their exciting mouse and cat game,  her character revealed to be so charismatic, layered, complex, mysterious and ambivalent that Lee Seol ended stealing the drama. 

I'm totally convinced that SHS could have done as well and shown to the all world  that she's not only romcom actress.

Personally, I don't SHS would have ignored if she could but rather the drama conflicted with her movie innocent movie. I did watch this one and liked it and yes, SHS can easily pull this off and maybe in 2020 we will see new production of hers that is not romcom.

And to be honest, her new film is kind of a thriller while tomb robbery will be more action based. I am very excited for her as she is now also breaking out in the film industry. Moreover, I honestly believe ALML has set her part from other actresses in her age group, the way she transformed into a ballerina/cold person/cute person is absolutely remarkable. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

I admitted that I hate that phsyco woman character in Luther.  That's only reason that I can't finish watching that series although I love Idris Elba.  :P  I personally think that even SHS acted as a bad person but she has something in her real personality that's still lovely and probably so hard to hate her.  So right now I still can't imagine she played in Lee Seol's role.  She may have skill to play that role and my imagination just may be not be able to get that visual. 

@titania1000 It's so irony that your day for favorable serious role of SHS may need some waiting until it comes.  For me,  I also feel that my day for favorable rom-com of SHS roles are numbered :D.   Thriller, mystery,  horror, action genre used to be my type when I was a teenager and I watched so many of them , but don't know why right now my heart becomes too weak to watch anything intense.   I think my days of watching drama or movie may come to an end soon, probably I should read books or do meditation instead.  LOL :P

So I hope 'Innocent' will not give me too much excited :blush:

• LOL 3

21 hours ago, immorethant said:

Agreed with @kokkuri33.

What makes me so love and admire Shin Hye Sun is that she's still so good at choosing her role.

If you look at all dramas that aired during the first half of the year, for all female roles that aligned with SHS's age, you can tell that no character is better than Yeon Seo. This character gave her opportunity to show her acting skills in various ways (strong, arrogant, cute, fragile) , also gave her opportunity to dress in many beautiful clothes and showed people how determine she is to practice ballet. 

I think the first stage of SHS career is to find a breakthrough which she's already succeeded in MGL.

Now everyone accepted her as a good acting/quality actress, so at this moment is the 2nd stage to gain more love and popularity because she is in the age that can still do cute and romantic role.  (I think her team at YNK is also playing the same strategy).  ALML is a proof that she successfully got more fans and more love . Many criticisms she received from her previous dramas that she's not beautiful are now rarely seen with ALML, now I saw only comments on how beautiful and cute she is.

So being a (still) young cute girl with good acting skill, I think she's quite doing well to find a role that balancingly showed both sides of her that she can make you fell in love with her beauty and can make you cry when she cried, and sill got the young cute guy :P . And I still prefer ( and I think she also prefer doing) this kind of role for more 2-3 years. 

I understand that some fans may want to see her in more 'serious' role, I think it means more serious drama than rom-com or fantasy. But the point are 1) rom-com drama can also have complex serious character if the script is allowed , which I trusted SHS will always choose wisely 2) most serious award winning role are for characters of 40+ up which some roles are really extreme to the level of near-psychopath, which at this time I personally don't want her to do that. Just the role of Yeon-Seo who can be aggressive or sad sometimes but can be also cute and lovely is enough for me to show her versatile skill.

I think in the future when she reached the 3rd stage that she got hugh popularity and became A-list veteran actress or becomes older suitable to take those serious roles, and have freedom to take any role and still get love from audience, then I think she will definitely choose to do it.  

So it's only the matter of time and we just have to wait and enjoy the ride right now.  :love::kiss_wink::innocent:

(edited)

I read the news about Ballet Association gave award to ALML drama to help promote ballet.

I think SHS should received awards from violinist/classical musician/soprano singers/carpenter/designer/prosecutor/fried-chicken cook/truck driver/watermelon seed-blower/choco-pie  association too (but please not from suicider association).

Hi @immorethant - so well said. You are doing such a wonderful job of expressing for so many of us what it means to be Hye-Sun-ssi fan. I couldn't be happier knowing you're taking such a good care of everything on these threads and keeping this a happy, thoughtful and considerate place of respect and love for all who love our Muse for whatever of 3017 milliion different reasons why she is our One and Only Love still.

Thank you again, to everyone, all the regulars and noobs and all my lovely Chingoos here. (Some day I'll go back and like everyone's posts, something I managed to do on every page until now.)

Looking back, it's funny how SHS was able to dominate the ratings across the board during MGL days, and yet I was very far from happy during those days - now, while I'm sadly busy with RL, regardless of any ratings or any of that, I couldn't be happier for oori Baby Hye-Sun-ssi and all that's been happening here and all over the drama land becoz of her. It's great to know we can keep supporting her through her next projects no matter what happens as ALML winds down. I am very much looking forward to the next 4 eps without a worry in the world, becoz I just have this faith that Dan and Yeon-Seo will be united forever and we'll all be crying happy tears.

And this was posted elsewhere but perhaps someone forgot to put it here. Thanks, @mylovekge for pointing it out on your twitter. And @jakey09 for posting.

Finally, I took a minute to make these, since it nicely sums up for me what makes ALM:L special for mee.

giphy.gif Korean

giphy.gif Anglais

In 3 convenient flavors.

giphy.gif Meeinglish

This is the definition of the perfect gif. Notice she:

1. Gets an offer to 'go all the way' from an angelic male (who's a virgin I'm sure). This isn't a common offer.

2. She maintains her virtue by responding properly as a good girl deserving of an angelic man of faith should, refusing to consider the offer on first blush.

3. But he, though a virgin angel without experience, manages to follow up his greasy one-liner (you wanna sleep with me?) with 'you said you remembered everything' - full of innuendo that leaves it wide open for our imaginations to go wild with (I leave this as homework for the pupils here).

4. Her being flustered seated in front of a very forward-sounding man reminded me of my favorite moment from 5-Children on Yeon-Tae and Sang-Min's first day of dating. Yeon-Seo was leaking Yeon-Tae badly here.

5. And best of all, as the ultimate fan service in the short scene, she invokes my humble name of Meechuttso somehow.

gqysOuZ.jpg&key=ecd5ecc865d45b2e688a97d0

Let me borrow this @immorethant

And I will know, 'though soft ye tread around me,
And then my grave shall richer sweeter be,
Then you'll bend down and tell me that you love me,
And I shall rest in peace until you come to me.

• Love 6

There are so many things that I want to say,  please allow me to put in bullet points so i can arrange my thought.

• @meechuttso, oh !! I'm so glad to see you , really missed you.  Last night and this morning I had a thought that you've been gone for a while and if you don't show up soon I may do a gif for the scene that Yeon Seo closed her eyes and prayed for Dan to come out (but I will add my subtitle saying that 'Meechuttso, please come out' instead  :P).
  • And thank you so much for your thought of me.
  • This morning , I also had a thought to post that photo with the funny pun of SHS organizing food catering for ALML team. But I totally forgot later when I arrived my office because the beginning of each month is very busy time of my work and I have to finish my tasks as many  as possible today, so tomorrow I can go home early to watch ALML :lol:.  But seeing your post here, I told myself, even if I'm so busy I still have to reply.
  • You also spoke my mind ,  I think Yeon Seo is such a great character because she was the combination of previous SHS's roles.  All the cute scene of Yeon Seo reminded me of Yeon Tae.  :wub:  Seo-Ri may be a lovely character for me but she's somehow rather innocent like a teenager , but Yeon Seo and Yeon Tae is quite similar when she was shy and showed her sweet side (and both also took pictures of their boyfriend :D). When YS was in despair or frustrated by her evil aunt, she looked the same as Eun Soo.  When she got angry , she can be fierce like Ji-An.  And when she was sad , she cried so beautifully like Sim-Deok. 
  • Yesterday I skimmed watching some scenes of MGL on Netflix and Wow!! the picture quality in true HD is so good and image of Ji-An is so much more beautiful than the version that I previously watched from other sources.
  • And I hope to see you more often here.  I always feel that I'm a visitor and when I visited this house but couldn't find the owner, sometimes I felt sad. :tears:  

LTVOxGS.jpg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, titania1000 said:

Suscribing Netflix is costly: i can't afford it all the year. Also we never know when a show disappear from the site. It happened to me that i couldn't finished a show because of that.      

However it's a sign that K-drama have become a big deal on the platform. I knew it since Kingdom and its massive budget, but it was a special kind of drama : rooted in a niche genre (horror and zombies). This time netflix really wants to make kdrama mainstream.  

I think because lately Disney is going to open their own channel , and lately some of Netflix original movie/drama didn't quite reach the level of high standard.   So they have to find a new market on K-drama, by buying big lot of old K-dramas and providing budget for new production. Some are hit, some are miss.  Actually I also prefer the time that full episode of KBS drama can be watched on Youtube. Now everything is about business and money.  :unsure:

1 hour ago, titania1000 said:

So we are the opposite! :lol:

No way that rom-com would disappear: It's the most popular genre!

Yes, we are the opposite, but just the opposite in terms of our genre preferences, which is not a big deal for our friendship , right ?

Because in common, we both love Shin Hye Sun, we just hope to see her acting in our preferred genre.  So being a versatile actress as she is, I think we will see various dramas/characters from her and surely can have our enjoyments.   :blush:

• Love 1