[Variety 2016] Three Meals a Day — Gochang Village 삼시세끼 {고창편} (tvN)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

tvN10 Awards Honor The Best Variety Shows And Dramas Of The Past 10 Years

tvN10 Awards Honor The Best Variety Shows And Dramas Of The Past 10 Years

The tvN10 Awards celebrated its illustrious 10-year past with a massive awards ceremony.

Hosted by Shin Dong Yup and Kang Ho Dong, the tvN10 Awards examined the shows that aired on the cable channel tvN between 2006 and 2016 to select its winners. Winners were selected based on 40 percent internal evaluation, 30 percent external evaluation, and 30 percent audience input.

As the awards ceremony celebrated both variety shows and dramas, there were over 20 awards among the two categories to give out.

three meals a day

The Content Grand Excellence Award (Daesang) went to “Three Meals a Day – Fishing Village Edition” (variety) and “Reply 1988” (drama).

The highly acclaimed “Reply” series also swept the board in several other categories, including Trending Actors, tvN Asia Award, Special Acting Award, Made in tvN, Scene Stealer Award, and Best Kiss.

Jo Jin Woong (“Signal”) won the Grand Excellence Award for acting, and Lee Seo Jin (“Grandpas Over Flowers,” “Three Meals a Day”) took home the Grand Excellence Award for variety. See the full list below:

Content Grand Excellence Award

“Three Meals a Day – Fishing Village Edition” (Variety)

“Reply 1988” (Drama)

tvN10 Acting Grand Excellence Award

Jo Jin Woong (“Signal”)

tvN10 Variety Grand Excellence Award

Lee Seo Jin (“Grandpas Over Flowers, “Three Meals a Day”)

tvN10 Actor’s Award

Lee Sung Min (“Incomplete Life (Misaeng)”)

tvN10 Actress’s Award

Kim Hye Soo (“Signal”)

Variety Icon

Lee Soon JaeShin GooPark Geun HyungBaek Il Sub (“Grandpas Over Flowers”)

Content Award (Drama)

“Incomplete Life (Misaeng),” “Dear My Friends,” “Rude Miss Young Ae,” “Nine,” “Another Oh Hae Young,” “Signal,” “Oh My Ghostess,” “Reply” series

Content Award (Variety)

“Three Meals a Day,” “__ Over Flowers” series, “New Journey to the West,” “SNL Korea,” “Roller Coaster,” “Martian Virus,” “The Genius,” “Problematic Men,” “House Cook Master Baek”

Made in tvN (Variety)

Son Ho Jun (“Three Meals a Day”)

Kim Seul Gi (“SNL Korea”)

Made in tvN (Drama)

Seo In Guk (“Reply 1997”)

Seo Hyun Jin (“Another Oh Hae Young”)

PD’s Choice

Lee Je Hoon (“Signal”)

Jung Sang Hoon (“SNL Korea”)

Best Kiss

Seo In Guk and Jung Eun Ji (“Reply 1997”)

Best Chemistry

Park Bo Young and Kim Seul Gi (“Oh My Ghostess”)

Best MC

Shin Dong Yup (“SNL Korea”)

tvN Asia Award

Park Bo Gum (“Reply 1988”)

Rom-Com King/Queen

Eric (“Another Oh Hae Young”)

Seo Hyun Jin (“Another Oh Hae Young”)

Special Acting Award

Sung Dong Il (“Reply” series)

Trending Actors

Ryu Jun Yeol (“Reply 1988”)

Hyeri (“Reply 1988”)

Scene Stealer Award

Ra Mi Ran (“Reply 1988”)

Kim Sung Kyoon (“Reply 1988”)

Two Star Award

Jo Jung Suk (“Oh My Ghostess” and “Youth Over Flowers”)

Comedy Award

Ahn Young Mi (“Comedy Big League”)

Yang Se Hyung (“Comedy Big League”)

“Slave” Award (“Hardworking Entertainer” Award)

Kwon Hyuk Soo (“SNL Korea”)

Lee Se Young (“SNL Korea,” “Comedy Big League”)

Perfect Attendance Award

Kim Hyun Sook (“Rude Miss Young Ae”)

Lee Young Ja (“Taxi”)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

January 13, 2017

Nam Joo Hyuk Reveals He Has A Hard Time With Variety Shows

Source: Soompi by uing 

nam joo hyuk

Surprisingly, Nam Joo Hyuk gets butterflies in his stomach when he stars in variety shows.

He disclosed, “I’m not the type to go looking for variety shows to appear on. Honestly I was a bit afraid of them in the beginning because I felt pressured to make people laugh. It’s really hard for me.”

Ironically, he first became popular through the variety show “Off to School,” in which he showed great bromance chemistry with Kangnam. He gathered more popularity by appearing consecutively in dramas “Who Are You: School 2015,” “Glamorous Temptation,” “Cheese in the Trap,” and “Scarlet Heart: Goryeo.” Recently, he starred in tvN’s “Three Meals a Day” and gained a cute image for himself.

He showed his loyalty to “Three Meals a Day” despite his trouble with variety shows. He said, “I’m willing to appear on ‘Three Meals a Day’ anytime. The show itself is great, but what made it even better was that I had the opportunity to talk to my seniors (Cha Seung Won and Yoo Hae Jin). If it weren’t for the show, it would have been hard to have a meal with seniors like them.”

He also claimed, “Because it’s a real variety show, you can move around freely with the camera on, and the day goes by really quickly when you cook and wash dishes.”

“Many of my fans say I’m cute, and I have the image of a ‘good son.’ I think the only way to show people that I’m more versatile is through my acting. There are many genres and roles I want to try out: for example, the role of a rebellious, bad guy, and also the role of a really devoted son who cares deeply about his family,” he expressed.

Meanwhile, Nam Joo Hyuk’s drama “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo” recently aired its last episode.

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

I like thisshow bu only found ep 1-6 subbed. It's cute to see the ducks and how CHajumma cooks without any fuss... no slow mos of cutting potatoes or peeling garlic. haha! I wish there was more interest in this version of 3mad as well. 

• 1 year later...

November 4, 2018

Yoo Hae Jin Expresses Affection For “Three Meals A Day” And Nam Joo Hyuk

Source: Soompi  by L. Kim (blessedkpop)

Yoo Hae Jin Expresses Affection For âThree Meals A Dayâ And Nam Joo Hyuk

In a recent interview, Yoo Hae Jin mentioned tvN’s “Three Meals a Day” and Nam Joo Hyuk.

In his newest film “Intimate Strangers,” he acted alongside Lee Seo Jin, who also appeared in a different season of “Three Meals a Day.”

Concerning that fact, Yoo Hae Jin said, “I met Seo Jin at the episode in Jeongseon. After the filming, I realized what kind of person he is.” Then he added, “While filming the movie, we didn’t talk much about variety shows. However, I realized he’s a very nice person. He says he’s rough, but I don’t think that’s all there is to him. He has many good points. He gives everything but never brags about it. He’s very generous. I’m also learning [from him].”

Yoo Hae Jin appeared in three seasons of “Three Meals a Day” with Cha Seung Won, Son Ho Jun, and Nam Joo Hyuk.

Yoo Hae Jin talked about how he longs to be on the show again, saying, “I miss it. My main job is an actor, so I continuously have productions to act in, so I can’t make time for [the show]. When I’m free, [Cha] Seung Won isn’t. Still, ‘Three Meals a Day’ is a good memory to me. The PD [producing director] made me feel very comfortable. It would be nice if I had a chance to do it with my schedule.”

He also mentioned Nam Joo Hyuk and his success in the movie “The Great Battle.” He proudly commented, “He has deep thoughts that are not suitable for his age. He thought about acting even while filming [‘Three Meals a Day’]. ‘The Great Battle’ succeeded, and he seems to be well established as an actor. I praise him.”

Yoo Hae Jin gave an update about his beloved corgi Gyeoul (Winter) that had appeared on the show as well. He said, “Gyeoul is happier when he comes with me to film in the countryside. It’s spacious, so he runs around. He’s already six years old, and I can feel that time is passing by.”

“Intimate Strangers” is a Korean remake of the 2016 Italian film “Perfect Strangers” and stars Yoo Hae Jin, Lee Seo Jin, Jo Jin Woong, Yum Jung Ah, Yoon Kyung Ho, Kim Ji Soo, and Song Ha Yoon. It tells the story of a group of people at a couples’ gathering who play a game where they are forced to reveal all phone calls and text messages they receive on their smartphones.

The movie recently celebrated a successful milestone of surpassing 1 million moviegoers in just four days.

Source (1)

• 6 months later...

May 9, 2019

Making reality television isn’t all fun and games: Producers talk about the struggles of casting and developing original content

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

08203837.jpg

Reality show producers from television channel tvN discuss their jobs and the industry during the “Creator Talk” event at the CJ ENM building in Sangam-dong, western Seoul, on Tuesday. Pictured above are some of the channel’s shows, including “Mother’s Touch,” “Comedy Big League” and “Street Food Fighter.” [TVN, SCREEN CAPTURE]

As it is all around the world, reality television in Korea offers viewers a much-needed escape from their everyday lives. 

Audiences here can tune in to several dozen reality shows to get their daily dose of laughter or live vicariously through their favorite celebrities as they cook or travel the world. For many, it’s the one time of the day that they get to relax and forget about work. 

But for TV producers - commonly known as PDs in Korea - creating reality television means a lot of stress and unforeseen challenges. 

On Tuesday, five PDs behind some of Korea’s hottest reality shows on TV channel tvN got together at the network headquarters in Sangam-dong, western Seoul, to share with local press what really goes on behind the scenes. They also addressed common viewer complaints and voiced their thoughts on competition from creators on YouTube. 

If there’s one thing they all can agree on, it’s that being a PD is not an easy job. 

“[Being a PD] is really tough, and I think a lot of it has to do with responsibility,” said Jeong Jong-yeon, who directs “The Great Escape,” a show where celebrities try to escape from puzzle-ridden rooms by solving riddles. “At night, I sometimes can’t sleep because I’m worrying that we won’t be able to film according to plan and that I’ll embarrass myself in front of all my colleagues.” 

Moon Tae-joo, who directs the popular cooking program “Mother’s Touch: Korean Side Dishes,” said it’s the ratings that stress him the most. 

“If my show airs on Wednesday, the ratings are automatically sent to us by email the next morning,” said Moon. “On the days the ratings come out, I wake up as early as 5 a.m. If they’re high, I feel happy, but if they drop from the previous episodes, I get discouraged.” 

The directors took the event as an opportunity to address two big elephants in the room - casting celebrities with a criminal past and complaints that reality shows on tvN are too similar, with many that are based on food, travel or a combination of both.

Son Chang-woo took the mike to address the challenges of selecting trustworthy cast members. 

His low-budget travel series “Salty Tour” faced controversy for casting celebrities of questionable character like Jung Joon-young, the singer who admitted to distributing sex videos he filmed of women without their consent, and Kim Saeng-min, who sexually harassed a staff member while filming another program in 2008. Both Jung and Kim had been regular members in “Salty Tour.” 

“As producers, we have a responsibility [for selecting cast members],” said Son “I think it’s important to set criteria and standards for verifying them. We are trying to create a platform for PDs so we can share information and not cast problematic celebrities.” 

The PDs also responded to growing complaints that most tvN reality shows were becoming replicas of one another since celebrity cooking show “Three Meals a Day” aired its first episode in 2014 to tremendous success. Many of tvN’s subsequent food-related shows, such as “Youn’s Kitchen,” “Coffee Friends,” “Miss Korea” and “Korean Hostel in Spain,” all involve Korean celebrities going abroad or to an idyllic place like Jeju Island to cook for regular customers or guests. 

Spoiler

“‘Mother’s Touch’ is not just another mukbang program,” said Moon. “When I first conceptualized the program with Kim Su-mi, we wanted to add a story to each side dish. … 
We wanted to incorporate that longing for our mother’s food in each episode.” 

On the show, veteran actress Kim Su-mi demonstrates how to make common side dishes, or banchan in Korean, to a cast of famous celebrity chefs. 

“There are comments from viewers that they’re tired of seeing food and travel programs, but I think the shows share universal themes,” said Son. “As someone who needs to create a show, my focus is on using elements that viewers like, rather than copying other PDs.” 

According to Son, he gets ideas for shows while traveling abroad and during drinking sessions with younger colleagues. 

Similarly, Park Hee-yeon, who directed “Street Food Fighter” starring celebrity chef Baek Jong-won, said she takes note of current trends by meeting people and asking them about their interests and experiences.

For Kim Min-kyeong, who directs comedy show “Comedy Big League,” YouTube is a big source of inspiration. 

In one of the show’s regular skits, a comedian parodies mukbang ASMR, a popular variation of mukbang on YouTube where vloggers usually eat something crispy or crunchy while whispering.

“A lot of comedians watch YouTube videos while waiting on set and operate their own YouTube channels,” said Kim. “We sometimes get good ideas from YouTube to incorporate into our show.” 

BY KIM EUN-JIN [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

• 3 months later...

Source: Soompi

1. Three Meals a Day

three-meals-a-day.jpg

This series sounds very simple; guests are invited to the countryside where they are to stay and make three meals a day. The series first premiered in 2014 with Lee Seo Jin and 2PM’s Taecyeon. Even they seemed to be confused throughout the season as to what the show was actually about, but it proved to be a success regardless as they were invited again the following year.

three-meals-a-day.jpeg

As the show went on for several more seasons, they invited various celebrities on the show and the cast members would help the cast members make meals and engage in various tasks in the countryside like fishing and having to take care of some animals. It’s slow-paced, but really relaxing to watch. You’ll also get a kick out of seeing the superstar cast members and guests throughout the seasons!

three-meals-a-day1.jpg

Archived