[Drama 2016] Age of Youth 청춘시대

Go Seung Ji

I will just mention fellow members here so that they could get the notification and read these 3 Interviews -  @kasjady @Nodame @XXXlatebloomerXXX @badsmuler @Niel2804 @TeBe @liesl @USAFarmgirl @ruzikie @auntyem and many more members who visit this thread.

Thanks for translations+ naver comments + Pictures to Updaters.

Writer Park Yeon Seon's Interview

Here is interview with the writer Park Yeon-sun of Age of Youth. She also wrote dramas like Alone in love, Evasive investigation agency, White Christmas, and Wild romance.[The Fact, Xsports news]

AOY didn’t have good ratings airing in the same time slot as The Good Wife. “Ratings were not that high, but the reaction from people around us were very good. The show was finished but they said there was an interview, so I was amazed thinking “what is this?”. I went to the beauty shop to have a hair cut, and the owner said she was enjoying Age of Youth. she downloaded the show to watch, so I thought “There must be many people like her.” and I realized the show’s popularity. I have done dramas before, but this is the first time I felt the reaction on personal level. It became such an consolation. I think it made up for low ratings and made me feel happy.”

About the title, she said “Original title was Belle Époque. It means ‘Beautiful times’ in French. Youth is beautiful time in life, but young people actually don’t know they are living in beautiful time of their lives. With that in mind I picked the title, but there were many opinions saying that title was too difficult. There was even a remark it sounded like a pork restaurant ads. So after going through many different titles, we decided on ‘Age of Youth’. At first I was worried if it might be considered as sequel from ‘Alone in love’ (There were comments like if this is ‘Sidae/age’ series-Korean title was YeonAe Sidae, ChungChoon Sidae). Even though the title was Age of Youth, I didn’t mean to deal only with story of youth. I wanted to tell a story of people who live in the same house. As I started that way, there were young people, and thinking about why they couldn’t communicate led me to come up with each person’s issues, and it became the story of youth. However It does not seem like only young people felt relatable- Maybe because people in all generations have own worries and concerns, as well as feeling of isolation hoping other people understand them even without them talking about it.”

Park said they had two issues securing a spot for airing. “When we talked about the time slot with other stations, we had problem with Kang Yi-na character. They wanted me to change the script on portraying the prostitution favorably, and part reminding of Sewolho incident.” The accident impacted Yi-na’s life reminded many people of Sewolho accident, but Park said she didn’t write it thinking about the incident. “I think writing with Sewolho in mind is scary and burdensome. When SamPung department store collapsed, I thought I shouldn’t use it during the mourning period, even though I wanted to tell many stories about it. Sewolho was same way. But people thought it was similar to Sewolho incident. I wanted to tell the story of a person who killed another to survive, not the story of Sewolho.”

About Yi-na’s questionable life style, Park said “I doubted if that would be received so seriously, but people who read took it seriously and I was scared somewhat. But once the show aired, I didn’t get reaction we portrayed a person who does prostitution favorably. Rather than portraying Kang Yi-na as a person who gives sexual favors for living, I wanted to talk about the boundary. For example, in a club when man and woman drink, they think it is given woman does not pay. I don’t understand it. I heard that there are women who receive brand bags and allowance from men who they do not love, and they don’t think they are selling sex. But the issue is where is the line, where is the boundary. Jin-myung says to Yi-na “I looked down upon you, but I wonder if it is because I just didn’t have that much temptation.” That applies to not just prostitution. For example, when you report tax, you think various way to cut the amount to pay, which could be considered as evading tax duty in a sense, and when you see politicians and high ranking government officials having tax evasion suspicions, you might think “I might’ve committed such crime also if I had power like them and same opportunity was given” -that kind of boundary I am talking about. So rather than defending a prostitution, I wanted to point out that we could think it as our problem, considering objectively.”

Park picked Jin-myung’s finger nail scene and Eun-jae’s narration scene as most impressive. “There are times I cry while I write the script. I wrote the scene where Jin-myung’s finger nail came off crying, so I remember clearly. Also I felt sad around episode 7 when Eun-jae narrated “I am a person who should not be happy.”.”

About actresses, she said “All did well, but if I have to pick one, it is Han Ye-ri. I have some arrogant side, so I have never felt that my script was indebted to actors before. But watching Han Ye-ri acting- when she had to act two characters- a heavy and regular one which must have been difficult to play two distinct characters in the same time frame, she showed more than I expected, I was shocked. I have never met an actress who uses her hands so natural. There was a scene where she took the earbuds out from her ear and looked around rolling the strings up (which was not in the script), she was moving her hands so naturally. Also on the scene where she took off her helmet to return after the bike ride, she clipped the pin back in the helmet before returning. I thought she was really excellent actress watching her acting which a person can’t do unless she is completely into the character.”

She also mentioned about Season 2. “I originally wrote it as 16 episodes show, but it became 12 eps because of various situations. Once it was decided airing in JTBC, I couldn’t extend it. As you may guess, 4 episodes would have been Ji-won(Park Eun-bin)’s episodes. Right now I don’t have any plans about season 2, but if opportunity is given, I’d like to write Song Ji-won’s story again. Drama ended without revealing her secrets, but I thought there was no reason that all the secrets should be revealed. The reason Ji-won was cheerful all the time was because like Jong-yeol said, a person who has secret tries to act chirpily to lighten that much of weight. It is also a way to cover for a person with secrets- unconscious method.” Lastly she said “Rather than making an effort to be happy just for themselves, I hope people think other people are same as them. I wish all walk the flowery path.”

Writer-nim fighting! Please give us Season 2 (and forget about major stations who made you cut the episodes)

•  

HAN YE RI Interview

Han Ye-ri had an interview also. [OSEN, Star News]
She played the working-to-death woman of steel Yoon Jin-myung in ‘Age of Youth’. “The biggest reason I chose the project was the writer. I belong to the generation who grew up watching this writer’s dramas and she has her own unique sentiments. Also PD Lee Tae-gon, I liked he was director-nim who I could talk about the project even in our first meeting, and he didn’t prevent me from adding my personal thoughts about Jin-myung all through the shooting.”

She didn’t expect working on dramas. “I didn’t know I was going to do a drama. Before shooting Six Flying Dragons, I met the writer and director-nim, and they said there was an important role (without saying what it was) and wanted me to take it. They said since it was an important role, they couldn’t give it to a newbie. I said ok even though I didn’t know what role I would play. That was Chuck Sa-kwang. I didn’t know there was a twist, and she was an important figure. I found out later and was thankful for that role. I wondered if I could do another drama this year, but this good project came to me. I didn’t know Park Yeon-sun writer-nim would write a new project. I was lucky.”
About disappointing ratings, she said “I was disappointed in the beginning. I thought it was unfair we had to go against the big show The Good Wife, but we received such a good review so I thought ratings were not big deal. PD-nim said the way ratings were computed was different (with cables). There is a machine installed only on 4 people family household, so it doesn’t cover everyone, just picking at random. I think there were many people who watched our drama on their I-phones.”

She was impressed with the drama. “Almost all the lines in every episode made my heart ache. It was so amazing. I also loved all of Writer-nim’s endings- Because I thought it was realistic ending. Realistically just because something happened, life doesn’t change too much. When I think back now, during my puberty or when I was clumsy, I was like early Hye-soo. And I was similar to Yae-eun when I first dated. When things don’t go as I want, or when I whine, I seem similar to Hwa-young, and when I spend time with my girl friends, I feel like Ji-won. Even though I can’t say who is the most comparable with me, I think all are like me in certain area.”

About Jin-myung character Han said. “Playing Jin-myung role was not hard, but she was in situations cornered so bad and fell off the cliff, so I worried What if people don’t want to see it anymore. I thought “Would they still want to see her?”. But When she was with her housemates, she got comforted, laughed, talked and ate well. So I thought that was relief- Since Jin-myung had friends who she could rely on for a while, forgetting her concerns.” Some people accused it was unrealistic that she worked all the time to make only $1400 a month. “I think it is much more realistic than the plot a girl changes her fate because she meets a cheabol, or co-worker who turned out to be president’s son. Also Jin-myung is a character you can clearly see where the money goes. I think that was really realistic.”
She said she liked her ending. “I like the ending. The reason writer-nim failed her on her job interview was because being employed was not Jin-myung’s dream but it was her goal. She thought finding her dream was more important, and even if she pass the interview and becomes employee successfully, there will be someone like the nasty manager and nothing would be changed. This way Jin-myung would fall from the cliff and stand up at the bottom. I understood the writer-nim’s intent. When all the burden was lifted, she could have time to think about herself. When she took on a trip, I liked it thinking she became more mature and made one step forward. I thought her fate was cruel, but then again all the bad things happen at the same time in life. Once all those hardships pass, happy occurrences come, so I thought Jin-myung would have good life and live thanking even for small things.”

People cheered on her romance with Jae-wan(played by Yoon Park). “Yoon Park is an actor who has good impression, and I think he has high potential. I think Jin-myung and Jae-won’s chemistry was not bad. They became the couple who were cheered on by many people, but because of that, because of one person Jin-myung couldn’t become happy all of sudden and that was more realistic. Usually when reality hits hard, people tend to rely on their partners, but it was good that she didn’t take that path.”

This show had newbie actresses. “Since Hye-soo(Eun-jae) didn’t act for long, she seemed to worry half time, feared half time on how to do it. But later on she did good and looked natural. There are similarity between image of Eun-jae and the actress Hye-soo. Director-nim did good casting. He said “The only thing I did well is casting” all the time. I think that was Midas touch. Hwa-young(Yina) and Seong-yeon(Yae-eun) did very well too. Actually it was not because of what we did, but lines and roles were so good that it came out all good even though there was lacking in acting. I think we all have to give a deep bow to the writer-nim.”

All became so close since they were similar in age and spent lots of time together. “Romance was not the main point in our drama, and there were many situations we had to cheer each other on or communicate. I think we got attached more because it was a drama where ensemble was more important. I am glad because I feel like I gained many nice dongsangs/younger sis. I’d like to continue to see them even if it can’t be often. I’d like to keep in touch with them and know if they are doing well. There is a chat room five of us have and I don’t talk much but Hwa-young(Yi-na) does. She must be lonely. We are going to go to Everland(amusement park) soon and Hwa-young treats us tickets.”

Her disgusting restaurant manager Min Sung-wook played Jo Young-kyu in SFD (Golly we loved him as Yoo Ah-in/Bang-won’s loyal bodyguard-friend there). In SFD, Chuck Sa-kwang killed Jo Young-kyu, but the situation was reversed in Age of Youth. “I saw a comment “She is Chuck Sa-kwang. You Hands off!”. I’ve worked with oppa in various projects and the situation gets switched everytime so it is fun. If manager was a different actor, I might had hard time to act. Since I was working with a person I know, I felt good and we made each other shine.”

She went to the same high school as Seo Hyun-jin(OHY again) where both studied dancing. “I am happy that Hyun-jin is doing well. I always thought she would hit big. Hyun-jin danced very well in high school, so when she quit, many friends were disappointed. It is so fortunate that she is making it doing what she does well in a different area. [I read she regrets quitting dancing] If she still likes to do traditional dance, she can just start again. It’ll never be impossible for her.”

How about season 2? “Writer-nim didn’t say anything. We said it would be nice if casts are same if we ever do it. My housemates ask me “Unni, you didn’t leave our house after you graduated?” “Unni you will come back from China trip?” They guessed that before money runs out, Jin-myung must have found a job and got settled in some Korean company. I think it is possible that I might keep in touch with Jae-wan ssi and opened a small shop. I think once she went to China, graduating from college was not that important. I wonder she went to other countries too. But I don’t know if writer-nim is type of a person who can continue the story once it is completed, or if she even wants to do that. Then again, what is great with a place like Belle Époque is that you don’t feel strange or out of place even if someone leaves or joins.”

Why didn’t I realize she killed that awful manager in SFD – Talking about Min Sung-wook who played great side characters!

•  

Park Eun Bin Interview

Park Eun-bin who played Ji-won in Age of Youth also had an interview.(Did you know she started acting 18 years ago?) [OSEN, Star news]
She was known to have an innocent image, but played a totally different character this time. “Director-nim casting me for Song Ji-won role was amazing. People around me and other directors think Lee Tae-gon PD-nim is genius for casting me. He found out I had different personality from Ji-won right away. He could choose an easier way but he said I could do it. My wish has been playing various roles as an actress and I trusted PD-nim who chose me. People around me actually had high expectation because it was a role I haven’t played before. They said “Finally you are doing such a role.” My fans were shocked at ‘Female Sin Dong-yoep'(comedian) role because they have never seen this side of me. But after the show, I think my fans gave approval that I could do this kind of roles too. I am thankful I look innocent and happy that people say I am pretty, but I was even happier this time because people said I looked like the character. I made a huge change in this show and felt good hearing that I didn’t look awkward. I was worried. I felt if I act feeling like wearing the clothes which does not fit and can’t concentrate on my role, it wouldn’t do any good to the project. I was thankful at the reaction that I looked like Song Ji-won so much that they can’t think of what my old image was like.”

About her character, Park said “Both seem to be lonely but dating style don’t seem similar. I am not the type who has male friends. Her character who asked for a refund in the drama is more similar to Eun-jae(Park Hye-soo). I am the type who says ‘Oh it looks good’ even if they make mistake on my hairdo in the beauty shop. But my friends said they could see my real self once in a while in the show. I think my parents enjoyed it. When I said something, they said “She talks just like you.” and my older brother said “Ji-won and you are not different. She is you.” I am different in contents of talking or way of thinking with Ji-won character, but her brightness and energy also exist in me. Because the way of thinking was polar opposite, it took a long time for me to get used to, but as we lived for two months, there were parts Park Eun-bin was reflected on Ji-won, so I think 30% matched at the end.” About her short hair, she said “This is first time I cut my hair this short. I felt weird when I looked at the mirror. After the show aired, even relatives called saying they were shocked.”

She accepts her not-even-half-baked love-line with Sung-min/Son Seong-won. “I imagined two ways in Ji-won’s future. Because of what she did, there is some fall/suffering waiting for her, or a happy growth which can treat Ji-won like others. Don’t you think she might escape being born solo? If she ever does, I think it will be with her male friend Sung-min who always treated her as she was. I wonder if they made it around episode 14. My friends were against them being a couple. They said dating all of sudden was unrealistic, and if they succeed (being a couple), it could mean the friendship between man and woman is impossible, which would make them feel depressed.”
Park drank a lot in the show. “I can’t drink well. On the scene I poured the drink into my mouth, I used no-liquor drinks. I rarely drink and this was the first time I found the taste of beer. The scene where I drank two cans of beer holding each can in my hands was not in the script. PD-nim asked me if I could do it, so I just tried it.”

About season 2, she said. “We talked about it, but there are many situations we can’t be sure. PD-nim mentioned it also but it seems there is burden it has to be more fun and have higher quality. Even if it ends like now (open ending), I think that is the life. If what we wanted to say was life is not perfect and complete, I think our show’s ending was ok. If we ever do the season 2 though, I think Ji-won’s story has to be revealed more clearly.” Meanwhile she wishes happiness for all. “I am thankful the viewers spent time with us in this hot summer. I think people can relate somewhat with all of five characters. I hope whenever the viewers think of the show, they also think there are housemates like us around them. I wish all Jin-myung, Yi-na, Ji-won, Yae-eun, Eun-jae around us can communicate and treat each other well and become happy.

She actually debuted in ‘White night 3.98’ in 1998, almost 20 years ago.(Anyone remember this show? I watched this drama, but can’t remember much except Sim Eun-ha) “My dream was to become an actress since I was young. Even though it was hard to do when I was young, I thought every day was special day. I even remember when my mom told me to give up because it was too hard, but I insisted to keep going. I have not stopped working since I was 5 years old. Just Last year I only studied and didn’t work for the first time. There were times I had slump, but I thought everyone has slump so I could overcome it. I sometimes think those slumps benefited my acting.”

She wants to do a romcom or melo in future projects. “I want do a romcom or melo. I have never thought about who should be my partner actor, but I’d like to have a person who people say we have good chemistry when they see us together. I’d like to try different genres, and play professional roles. I hope character is more than one dimensional. Doctor or musician will be nice. I want to do a scene playing an instrument. When I was a drummer in ‘Entertainer’, I crammed it for 3 days. My learning ability is not bad, but I want to practice a lot and do well.”

•  

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@catocat  th?id=OIP.M65d554c7fec107ee0d84a96991b72For calling us back it meant so much...

Image result for never easy saying goodbyeimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyRU-ToUMcJNIXmrd-XX6

I loved so much about this drama and my one regret was that it just wasn't long enough.  Each character and episode was so interesting and while watching time seem to just fly and I was always left wanting a little more.   As a viewer you invest in learning about the story line but also you become attached to the characters themselves. It's so hard to not only let go of them but also your hopes and even desires of wanting to know more, see more and experience them in what & how things in their future would be.  You see that's how you really know if a drama is a success or not it's not the numbers or ratings it's how you were moved by it!!  Inspired by seeing the actors bring the characters you have grown to love to life.  And if you lucky or maybe I should say blessed enough your able to find something you didn't expect that moved your soul...

Hoping the best for everyone here may you stay safe and happy as well:heart:

credit to all original owners of photo's and quotes...

• 5 months later...

“Age Of Youth” PD Explains Why Ryu Hwayoung Will Not Join Original Cast’s Return In Season 2

Ryu-Hwayoung-Age-Of-Youth.jpg

It looks like the original cast of JTBC’s “Age of Youth” will return for season 2 except for Ryu Hwayoung.

On March 16, it was reported that a representative of GNG Production, the production company behind the second season, stated that Ryu Hwayoung would be making a special appearance in the show. They also added, “Han Ye Ri, Han Seung Yeon, Park Eun Bin, and Park Hye Soo are set to appear as regulars in the upcoming season.”

They also explained that the decision was not related to the recent controversy Ryu Hwayoung has been embroiled in, rather because bringing her back as a full-time character would not fit with the story they were creating for season two.

PD Lee Tae Gon was asked about the report and his response was, “In season one, there were some characters whose stories wrapped up nicely, and some whose stories were incomplete. In the case of Ryu Hwayoung’s character, we felt like her story was almost completely told, so we believed it would be difficult to try to continue it.”

He also stated, “We aren’t excluding her from the narrative however, we are currently in talks with her agency about a special appearance. She may appear in one or two episodes, depending on the story we create.” Lee Tae Gon also emphasized that the recent controversy surrounding Ryu Hwayoung had nothing to do with the decision, which was made a while ago.

Season two will instead feature a new roommate joining the other four original cast members at the Belle Epoque, and it will be interesting to see who this newcomer is. The new season is set to air on JTBC in late-August.

Who would you like to see join Han Ye Ri, Han Seung Yeon, Park Eun Bin, and Park Hye Soo in season two of “Age of Youth”?

Source (1) (2) (3)

https://www.soompi.com/2017/03/16/age-youth-pd-explains-ryu-hwayoung-will-not-join-original-casts-return-season-2/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Waiting for Oblivion: Top 10 K-Drama Quotes for the One Left Behind

goblin-quotes-grim-reaper-wang-yeo.jpg?w

Date: February 13, 2018 Author: tipsyahjumma 

Oblivion: the fact or condition of not remembering.

A fictional character in one of my favorite young adult novels once stated that he fears oblivion. I used too think the same. But one day I woke up with bloodshot eyes, stared at the ceiling for a few hours, and wished for oblivion to come.

Here’s our Top 10 K-Drama Quotes for all of us who once had sleepless nights while nursing a broken heart.

• When tears can’t stop from falling and you wanted to hear someone say that everything will be okay and that you’re not at fault.

age-of-youth-quotes-memorable-line.jpg?w=551&h=827

“Sometimes, I want to cry out loud. I want someone to hear me crying. I wanted them to hear me cry and tell me everything will be okay. I want someone to pat me on the back, and tell me that it’s not my fault.”

~ Yoon sunbae, Age of Youth

More: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/waiting-for-oblivion-top-10-k-drama-quotes-for-the-one-left-behind/

• 4 weeks later...

K-Lookbook: Five K-Drama Style Pegs for Young Women

age-of-youth-cover.jpg?w=649
Date: March 7, 2018 Author: maknaeahjumma

Gone are the days when Korean drama female characters where too innocent to be true. Most recent series features headstrong women with flaws that make them more humane. Yes, they are still a tad silly and sometimes too optimist for their own good but this is part of what makes them more likable.

As we celebrate Women’s month this March, I chose to feature a series where the characters aren’t perfect and are still learning the ropes of life. The 2016 sleeper hit Age of Youth introduced five college gals who made a lot of young and young-at-heart viewers laugh and sob with their different stories. There was no doubt one would find a piece of themselves with these characters. So why not steal their own unique styles and channel them in your everyday OOTDs?

The Belle Epoque girls proved even the most opposite personalities can bond and be the best of friends. So, which Age of Youth character are you?

1. Go for Comfort Yoon Jin-myung (Han Ye-ri)
Our favorite sunbae chooses comfort over everything else but that doesn’t mean she let herself look less presentable. This sneaker-wearing unnie manage to pull off those simple shirt and jeans combo with an ease.

han-yeri-age-of-youth-fashion.jpg?w=616

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/07/k-lookbook-five-k-drama-style-pegs-for-young-women/

• 1 month later...

Archived