Quantcast
m_girl07

Starting a YouTube Channel

HI everyone :). I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has started a YouTube channel and what's your experience? I love food and have a blog. I have a bit of background with video/sound editing and always thought it would be fun. Plus with technology nowadays, it seems like people would rather watch a video than read a post lol.

I've read and watched a lot of articles and vids but wanted to hear what it was like in the beginning, how important is equipment, etc. Thanks guys!! :D 

The link is below, let me know your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwiPc1wKhbJYpmUDdurlAPw

• Like 2

That is awesome!

Congrats for taking the first step of initiative by posting here and seeking for tips!  Whatever steps you take, please post them here.  I think it would be cool to follow this and also see if it can jump-start my interest in a YouTube channel, too!

8 hours ago, kimchicecream said:

That is awesome!

Congrats for taking the first step of initiative by posting here and seeking for tips!  Whatever steps you take, please post them here.  I think it would be cool to follow this and also see if it can jump-start my interest in a YouTube channel, too!

Sure :). I've been brainstorming ideas and figuring out all the graphics I need to make. I have a lot of it planned out and I'm a little camera shy but I'm sure I can warm up to the camera :P

I started with a DSLR Canon T3i but that's because I was a film major in college. Honestly, any point-and-shoot camera (anywhere between $100-$200) is a good start. You can find one that records 1080p HD videos. Just be sure to look into it (video quality, zoom ability, etc.). I invested in a lighting kit, but the best lighting is natural lighting. You'll need a tripod for sure but it doesn't have to be too fancy as long as it does the job.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to invest in super expensive camera/filming equipment to start a channel. The most important thing is to have good content that makes people want to subscribe and watch more, and to properly market your video. You can invest in better filming equipment when your channel has a good amount of following, viewership, or when you generate enough income to be able to pay for those equipment. Don't invest a lot of money into making YouTube videos unless it's something you really want to do and love doing. It takes a lot of dedication, hard work, and persistence to grow your channel. It might take a long time before it takes off, but if you love it, you just gotta keep going! ^_^

I recommend watching Video Influencers on YouTube for tips on growing your channel/brand. They have really good tips :)

Other than that, you should start a channel ASAP if you really want to start one. I went back and forth on whether or not I should start a channel...for like 2 years! I pretty much wasted 2 years pondering, when I should have just did it. Hehehe anyhow, good luck on your channel if you do start one ^_^ I hope this helps!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2016 at 6:10 AM, JuneBeautique said:

I started with a DSLR Canon T3i but that's because I was a film major in college. Honestly, any point-and-shoot camera (anywhere between $100-$200) is a good start. You can find one that records 1080p HD videos. Just be sure to look into it (video quality, zoom ability, etc.). I invested in a lighting kit, but the best lighting is natural lighting. You'll need a tripod for sure but it doesn't have to be too fancy as long as it does the job.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to invest in super expensive camera/filming equipment to start a channel. The most important thing is to have good content that makes people want to subscribe and watch more, and to properly market your video. You can invest in better filming equipment when your channel has a good amount of following, viewership, or when you generate enough income to be able to pay for those equipment. Don't invest a lot of money into making YouTube videos unless it's something you really want to do and love doing. It takes a lot of dedication, hard work, and persistence to grow your channel. It might take a long time before it takes off, but if you love it, you just gotta keep going! ^_^

I recommend watching Video Influencers on YouTube for tips on growing your channel/brand. They have really good tips :)

Other than that, you should start a channel ASAP if you really want to start one. I went back and forth on whether or not I should start a channel...for like 2 years! I pretty much wasted 2 years pondering, when I should have just did it. Hehehe anyhow, good luck on your channel if you do start one ^_^ I hope this helps!

Thanks, I've been hearing that a lot too :). I started maybe a few weeks ago and the growth is super slow but I guess that comes with starting anything new. I enjoy it a lot already and will keep going for sure. Would you be able to give me some feed? Purple Spatula

And can I check out yours as well :)?

On 9/1/2016 at 5:46 AM, m_girl07 said:

Thanks, I've been hearing that a lot too :). I started maybe a few weeks ago and the growth is super slow but I guess that comes with starting anything new. I enjoy it a lot already and will keep going for sure. Would you be able to give me some feed? Purple Spatula

And can I check out yours as well :)?

First off, you've got a new subscriber! ^_^

Secondly, can I ask if you've been promoting it your videos via your social media like Twitter, Instagram, etc? If you have not, be sure to do so because it'll help a lot in terms of marketing. Speaking of marketing, you should definitely look into ways to market your channel, like for example using the Google keyword planner to help pick out the tags for your videos. Can I also ask what your channel is about? Is it a how to cook/cooking tips, mukbang, diy snacks, or a snack haul from different countries?

Your thumbnails need to grab audience attention, so make sure you take pretty photos that make people want to click on your video. Bright, clear & crisp photos do help & if you use eye catching text, that should help as well. Make sure the thumbnail says it all (what the video is all about). Pay attention to the titling of your videos. The title is very important. Aside from that, great job in your recent video! I noticed that the lighting has improved and it wasn't as dark as your other videos.

Oh and one more thing, I know this is new to you and that you're not comfortable with speaking in front of a camera, but maybe you can show more of your personality :) Don't worry, I'm also trying to open up and be less awkward. It's hard but it has gotten a bit better since I've been filming more videos. Anyways I hope this helps. You're doing great, just keep going! You'll get there!

Oh and, yes you can check out my channel >> HERE :)

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 4:30 AM, JuneBeautique said:

First off, you've got a new subscriber! ^_^

Secondly, can I ask if you've been promoting it your videos via your social media like Twitter, Instagram, etc? If you have not, be sure to do so because it'll help a lot in terms of marketing. Speaking of marketing, you should definitely look into ways to market your channel, like for example using the Google keyword planner to help pick out the tags for your videos. Can I also ask what your channel is about? Is it a how to cook/cooking tips, mukbang, diy snacks, or a snack haul from different countries?

Your thumbnails need to grab audience attention, so make sure you take pretty photos that make people want to click on your video. Bright, clear & crisp photos do help & if you use eye catching text, that should help as well. Make sure the thumbnail says it all (what the video is all about). Pay attention to the titling of your videos. The title is very important. Aside from that, great job in your recent video! I noticed that the lighting has improved and it wasn't as dark as your other videos.

Oh and one more thing, I know this is new to you and that you're not comfortable with speaking in front of a camera, but maybe you can show more of your personality :) Don't worry, I'm also trying to open up and be less awkward. It's hard but it has gotten a bit better since I've been filming more videos. Anyways I hope this helps. You're doing great, just keep going! You'll get there!

Oh and, yes you can check out my channel >> HERE :)

Thanks June! I subscribed back because I love your DIY ideas, so cute and easy to make :).

I post onto Twitter and when I have time, I create a post on my food blog but that's usually not right away and I haven't been as active on the last few years and go back to it every few weeks. So my regular readers probably aren't there anymore :p. I heard about the the keyword planner and went on it once but I will bookmark it and try to use it before posting a video.

I initially wanted it to go hand in hand with my food blog but realized it could be a different platform that's more light and fun. It's a food channel so I wanted to do a little bit of everything but I tried to limit it to 4 different things so it's not too crazy and organized; series if you will. I hope that's not too much.

I did a few with texts but thought it was a little cluttered. I'll have to play around with the font a little bit but do you think it's okay if it's okay without the text? And thanks on the lighting!

I'm getting there with warming up but I'll try opening up more. Maybe I should just pretend the camera isn't there lol.

Wow! You channel is great! I've just subscribed to it! So many useful videos there:) If you want to grow your channel in an efficient way, I can recommend you to join one of the MCNs. But it's difficult to choose a reliable one as there are different networks providing different features and fulfilling different priorities. Make sure to check out this one - http://youtube-networks.com/freedom-partnership/ . My friend, who is a YoutTuber, works with it effetively.

Started a youtube channel with a friend just about a month ago. Our content is pretty much experimental since there's a kpop reaction, vlogs about our lives, reactions and games, and some beauty reviews. So far, not so much views and subscribers but we get a good amount of comments and likes on our youtube channel instagram page. I do think that promoting on social media and interacting with the commenters on your promotional youtube channel posts do get people curious. It's been quite rough but I'm starting to love the process, and I like that I'm getting more comfortable filming.

Do also check us out if you can :D CHECK US OUT HERE :)

• Like 1

@m_girl07 woooooooo what a great appearance of channel page! And its about food too, I subscribed:) if people find your page, they will attracted imo, hwaiting for that! Really great, keep doing:wub:

I have this casual YT page for interest in kdramas only (here is the page, will happy if you guys check it out too) so its not monetized type and I didn't know about camera etc etc hahah so you guys awesome!

Love DIYs from your YT channel @JuneBeautique whoa we have sunbae here:D

Happy to know about you guys.

• Like 1

Try applying your YouTube channel to partner with DIA TV of CJ E&M :) www.diatv.com

Below 50,000 Subscribers - 100% of earnings go to you

Above 50,000 subscribers - 80% of earnings will go to you and 20% to DIA TV

In exchange, DIA TV will provide you tools and help you grow your channel. Free use of licensed music by CJ E&M without having to deal with copyright issues :)

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 3:12 AM, Miranda Right said:

Wow! You channel is great! I've just subscribed to it! So many useful videos there:) If you want to grow your channel in an efficient way, I can recommend you to join one of the MCNs. But it's difficult to choose a reliable one as there are different networks providing different features and fulfilling different priorities. Make sure to check out this one - http://youtube-networks.com/freedom-partnership/ . My friend, who is a YoutTuber, works with it effetively.

Thanks! I thought about joining a network but thought it would be better after I gain a little more traction. What's a good number to apply do you think?

On 4/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, egoswithpopcorn said:

Started a youtube channel with a friend just about a month ago. Our content is pretty much experimental since there's a kpop reaction, vlogs about our lives, reactions and games, and some beauty reviews. So far, not so much views and subscribers but we get a good amount of comments and likes on our youtube channel instagram page. I do think that promoting on social media and interacting with the commenters on your promotional youtube channel posts do get people curious. It's been quite rough but I'm starting to love the process, and I like that I'm getting more comfortable filming.

Do also check us out if you can :D CHECK US OUT HERE :)

I agree, it's tough when there's so many creators out there but I think if you go into it because you love making videos and what you talk about, you'll be okay :).

On 4/15/2017 at 0:53 PM, CatchMine_ID said:

@m_girl07 woooooooo what a great appearance of channel page! And its about food too, I subscribed:) if people find your page, they will attracted imo, hwaiting for that! Really great, keep doing:wub:

I have this casual YT page for interest in kdramas only (here is the page, will happy if you guys check it out too) so its not monetized type and I didn't know about camera etc etc hahah so you guys awesome!

Love DIYs from your YT channel @JuneBeautique whoa we have sunbae here:D

Happy to know about you guys.

Thanks! I subscribed to you back! It just took me awhile before replying to your post, sorry! 

On 5/3/2017 at 8:34 AM, RayAmbler7 said:

Try applying your YouTube channel to partner with DIA TV of CJ E&M :) www.diatv.com

In exchange, DIA TV will provide you tools and help you grow your channel. Free use of licensed music by CJ E&M without having to deal with copyright issues :)

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out but I think I might wait until I get more subs and views. Does it matter what kind of content I create?

• Like 1

Youtube is difficult for anyone to have a major break through.

Check mine for example, I'm not looking to get big, but I think I have less than 100 subscribers over 3 years?

Although I treat it more like a personal channel really.

You need to find ways to get views if you want to go big.

• Like 1

@m_girl07 yeay! No problem:D

and... Really I'm so attracted by this

On 5/3/2017 at 7:34 PM, RayAmbler7 said:

how it's works? Is that for people in foreign country too? I'm a fan of many their dramas and osts so it is already my dream to make partnership or somewhat--cause even I'm not monetizing my edits but I want to make more sure it is not violating the c and I can be more at ease. I would really love to be the volunteer

3 hours ago, CatchMine_ID said:

and... Really I'm so attracted by this

how it's works? Is that for people in foreign country too? I'm a fan of many their dramas and osts so it is already my dream to make partnership or somewhat--cause even I'm not monetizing my edits but I want to make more sure it is not violating the c and I can be more at ease. I would really love to be the volunteer

Yes, it's for anybody even outside Korea, and you don't have to make every video kculture or kpop related, you still own all contents in your channel and you can upload anything you want without violating YouTube's terms. I'm a partner myself and not all my videos are related to S.Korea :) 

www.youtube.com/RayAmbler7

@m_girl07 no minimum requirements in the number of videos and subscribers, so you can try applying haha :) You don't have to make every video kculture or kpop related, you still own all contents in your channel and you can upload anything you want without violating YouTube's terms :)

TkO4GTQ.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RayAmbler7 said:

Yes, it's for anybody even outside Korea, and you don't have to make every video kculture or kpop related, you still own all contents in your channel and you can upload anything you want without violating YouTube's terms. I'm a partner myself and not all my videos are related to S.Korea :) 

Wow...

If you don't mind to answer @RayAmbler7, what will happened after agreeing to this? Were you applying the partnership after has an established channel or start from zero? Somehow it's quite scary... (Hahaha)

ask.jpg

and what exactly the meaning of this below... Then can we collaborate with using CJ productions like drama clips, etc for our video (channel contents)?

JOINT PRODUCTION

We provide ample opportunities to collaborate with other partners of DIA TV as well as with the broadcasting, film, game, and music sectors of CJ E&M.

I tried to open it's faq page but it's in Hangul T-T

thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, CatchMine_ID said:

Wow...

If you don't mind to answer @RayAmbler7, what will happened after agreeing to this? Were you applying the partnership after has an established channel or start from zero? Somehow it's quite scary... (Hahaha)

ask.jpg

and what exactly the meaning of this below... Then can we collaborate with using CJ productions like drama clips, etc for our video (channel contents)?

I tried to open it's faq page but it's in Hangul T-T

thanks in advance!

Actually I was invited to join by one of their agents through email because of my contents in YouTube. 

You can still try to join, if they disapprove then you can try again next time after creating a few videos.

For drama clips, etc. I think you can but not in full, maybe as part of a mash-up or review, stuff like that. :)

• Like 1

I also debuted a YouTube Channel where I post cover, so thanks for have created this post, it's very interesting :)

I watch some videos need to do lot of hard work to make your YT channel stand out from others keep posting on regular time and keep sharing with friends and on your social media profiles.