[Drama 2016] Drinking Solo 혼술남녀

Go Seung Ji

Hi everybody, I started watching drinking solo since the start and I must say it's getting better and better with each episode and it ended up becoming my most anticipated drama of the week. That internet broadcast with Jin Sang and Hana was really the highlight of yesterday's episode for me, they had an awesome chemistry there. And those uncontrolable smiles of JinSang are too funny and cute :wub:

MG's crush is cute but I'm not getting a second lead syndrom from it. He still needs to grow up and he annoys me with his spoiled kid behavior maybe there is some background here but I can't wait for him to grow up. 

I can't wait for today's episode :D

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! :D I love this show so much I am surprised that we only got to page 5. It deserves lots of love and attention. It is great that while comical and unique, the characters somehow still give a relate-able vibe (?). Professor Jin melted  my heart today (eng sub ep7) - he was so adorable when he giggled in his office. I have loved Ha Suk Jin since Hello Miss (2007) but there was really no other works of his that truly impressed me like this one. I am not sure if it was just me but he looked like he had a bad hangover at the beginning of ep 7. Poor thing - and having to drink at least twice per episode...

I sense the dark clouds over the recording Hana did in Gong Myung's phone. *Sigh* Drama! Really cannot wait for episode 8 subs to come out to enjoy it fully but I already died over 'I did it for the joint class' excuse. What a guy really! :) 

Ratings update

Date Episode Nielsen Korea (%) TNmS (%)
Nationwide Seoul Peak
2016-09-05 01 2.922 3.770 3.9 3.2
2016-09-06 02 3.187 4.114 3.4 3.6
2016-09-12 03 2.453 2.305 - 2.9
2016-09-13 04 3.309 3.607 4.4 3.7
2016-09-19 05 2.556 2.595 - 2.9
2016-09-20 06 2.199 2.308 2.9 3.0
2016-09-26 07 3.271 3.853 4.1 3.9
2016-09-27 08 3.979 - - 4.8

Look at that jump on 8th episode. Congrats to the casts and staffs!

My personal comment

Spoiler

I can't believe Kibum will be jungpal-ed in this drama. A lot of viewers ship him with Chaeyeon too. I can't believe that I am using that term to my own bias:sweat_smile: Anyway, Kibum's priority in this drama is to succeed in the exam so as long as he become civil servant it's okay.. I guess..

But I was imagining if he doesn't end up with Chaeyeon can the writer bring a girl as cameo to become his girlfriend in the future later please? Probably Apink's Eunji? kkk They suit each other with the satoori and all... Okay, that's only my imagination:lol:

@imacoolcat Thanks for the ratings info, it's actually doing pretty well - . Even though TVN is a popular cable channel now, it's a good indication that it's well received - at least domestically. I'll be stoked if it reaches pass the 5% mark cause that's when it'll explode :D

14 hours ago, daloula said:

MG's crush is cute but I'm not getting a second lead syndrom from it. He still needs to grow up and he annoys me with his spoiled kid behavior maybe there is some background here but I can't wait for him to grow up. 

At times he's character is adorable, but I don't have second lead syndrome either - the whole time I'm watching I too want to say to him to study haha or at least make effort into finding his dream career. It's already episode 8 so I'm hoping CY (and JS in the future) is able to help him (and his friends) with his studies, because the guys are literally in a cycle of possibly having to repeat another year. If I had a brother that was JS as annoying as he is, I would put my pride aside and ask him for help - but that's just me. I'm not sure how the drama will develop as at times it's quite unpredictable but I definitely want to see a more mature GM in terms of where he wants to set himself for in the future. 

On JW that was sad knowing that he's literally getting by with life being a divorcee and caring for his mother who has dementia, no wonder he tries to hide it by doing so many impressions at work. I also can't wait to see what's in store for JY, she's been left out of the spotlight for some time. As for HN I cringed so much when she was tipsy confident that JS liked her to the point where she bluntly questioned him, it's was hilarious.  

Man....after episode 8, I'm just not convinced JS is the right guy for HN and he's definitely not good boyfriend material right now. Who abandons a drunk girl in the middle of the road???? Even if a drunk person is annoying you, you shouldn't leave them alone! Tell them the next day when they're sober and can apologize for their actions! Sheesh. JS is so hot and cold and I'm worried that HN the hot/coldness is what HN likes :( Not a great start to any kind of relationship. 

I totally have second lead syndrome, however, GM is also not the right choice for HN at the moment. He truly cares about her, and he understands her as a person but he doesn't understand himself. He has no idea what he wants in life and I'm not sure he even likes himself. I hope CY will be able to teach him to study and that he can have some ambition. 

OMG I just saw yesterday's ratings, so happy for the rise, I hope it breaks the 5% next week for the sake of the joint class :D

After she was left drunk on the road by JS, I don't ship HN with anyone anymore. No matter how annoyed he was with her, that's quite dangerous to do. I like their chemistry but he just destroyed everything and I have a feeling she will make him regret it unintentionally. She'll probably distance herself a lot from him and be super formal.

About KB and CY, after it was revealed he was mean for a whole year to her because she rejected him, I prefer her to end up with GM. Guys should accept a rejection and learn how to move on and girls shouldn't be demonised or mistreated because they rejected someone.

2 hours ago, kasjady said:

@imacoolcat Thanks for the ratings info, it's actually doing pretty well - . Even though TVN is a popular cable channel now, it's a good indication that it's well received - at least domestically. I'll be stoked if it reaches pass the 5% mark cause that's when it'll explode :D

At times he's character is adorable, but I don't have second lead syndrome either - the whole time I'm watching I too want to say to him to study haha or at least make effort into finding his dream career. It's already episode 8 so I'm hoping CY (and JS in the future) is able to help him (and his friends) with his studies, ...

5% means it's really really popular right? I feel giddy just thinking about it :blush:

don't open if you don't want spoiler regarding CY:

Spoiler

CY is said to can not focus studying after falling for GM, so she won't be much of help either lol

Anyway, the drama at this point become unpredictable for me. I just want next Monday to come already!

2 hours ago, katrinetrine said:

Man....after episode 8, I'm just not convinced JS is the right guy for HN and he's definitely not good boyfriend material right now. Who abandons a drunk girl in the middle of the road???? Even if a drunk person is annoying you, you shouldn't leave them alone! Tell them the next day when they're sober and can apologize for their actions! Sheesh. JS is so hot and cold and I'm worried that HN the hot/coldness is what HN likes :( Not a great start to any kind of relationship.

That was one thing about last episode that I went what the? Even SH from Lucky Romance wouldn't do such a thing. It's a bit strange since in the beginning of the drama even though she passed out he carried her to her hotel room. They better add a scene where he comes back or at least is actually watching over her otherwise he needs a wack on the head. 

@imacoolcat  I'm not an expert but looking at other TVN shows that aired. 

0-1% Flop

2-3% Not bad (sometimes depending on time slot it's actually quite good) 

3-4% Breaking point/good 

5% means it's on a solid good run or reaching recognition status from media 

6-7% - successful  

8-9% even more  amazing 

10+ crazy popular - statewide recognition 

I was disappointed too when I saw professor Jin leaving a drunk Hana on the road, I was like : Oh no, he didn't just do that! and now I'm curious how is Hana going to interact with him the next day at school. Episode 8 was indeed better than most of the other episodes maybe because the main leads interacted longer and the episode was more focused around them being together. It was so funny that anything that professor Jin did for Hana was chalked up by him as done for "joint classes" , I loled at those scenes. And he finally had a drinking session with Hana, someone other than himself, this time on his own volition.

The kiss scene surprised me, the position of the two actors was more than awkward and I was cringing because I thought she will fall over him any minute now.

3 hours ago, daloula said:

OMG I just saw yesterday's ratings, so happy for the rise, I hope it breaks the 5% next week for the sake of the joint class :D

After she was left drunk on the road by JS, I don't ship HN with anyone anymore. No matter how annoyed he was with her, that's quite dangerous to do. I like their chemistry but he just destroyed everything and I have a feeling she will make him regret it unintentionally. She'll probably distance herself a lot from him and be super formal.

About KB and CY, after it was revealed he was mean for a whole year to her because she rejected him, I prefer her to end up with GM. Guys should accept a rejection and learn how to move on and girls shouldn't be demonised or mistreated because they rejected someone.

I think I will also dislike KB if he was being mean to CY just because she dumped him. But that's not the only thing happening here.

CY dumped him by throwing his heart-felt letter in which leading to humiliation to him because it's spread online. It must've embarrassed him a lot to the point that he never want to show his good side in front of CY again a.k.a he always mean to her.

Anyway, the writer trolled so much tho, by building KB-CY romance but gave us that twist last night:dissapointed_relieved:

Prof Jin why did u have to leave hana on the road...minus 50 marks on your charms :lol:...i've always shipped Key and CY since the beginning..but looking at the preview.. GM is not that bad too..but i really hope CY will give chance to Key too :D poor kibumiee

This week's episodes are fun!! The twists are pretty funny, especially Kibum x Chaeyeon, hahahaha...at first I just thought that Kibum doesn't like arrogant people, since he's pretty arrogant himself; as they say it takes one to know one :D but he did have feelings for her, and getting rejected big time twist is funnier! Another twist that I enjoy, although it's not funny, is Mr. Min the impersonator teacher...I suspected that he's divorced, then we got a scene where he was about to enter a patient room, so I thought maybe his wife is terminally ill, but then we got in and turns out, it's his mother's room...and he's divorced. Oh...that's just made it sadder... 

Kang Hana x Jin Sang scenes are pretty cute, it's so funny when Jin Sang is dancing along with her in the video, and that accidental kiss makes me go "Kyaaaaaah!!", hehehee...and Jin Sang keeps saying,"I'm doing this for the joint class." is hilarious :lol: Although yeah...leaving her drunk in the street is just a horrible thing, but he is Jin Sang, a premium trash, so it kinda fits?? Hahahaa...

All that aside, does anyone know the app that Kang Hana used to talk to when she's alone?

Chingus, don't be so hard on Prof. Jin. You have to remember, he is a man. A man who doesn't fully realize that he has developed feelings for Ha Na. So, in his mind, he really has been doing all of these "good deeds" for her to "maintain the image of the joint class". Up until this point, Ha Na's behavior has been cute, endearing, and he has seen how hard she has worked to try and be on his level. He hadn't really experienced the drunk, out of control Ha Na. We already know he abhors that type of behavior, I suspect there is a trauma around that, which is why he acted the way that he did. But, I also believe that having her in such close proximity to him. She has gotten closer to him than even his own family. I think it scared him and he needed space from her right away. Ha Na makes him feel things and want things that he never thought he would want. She makes him do things that he normally would never do. A big part of his "no drunk" policy is control. After the flashback where we see the guy who used his work to graduate and land a civil service gig, he felt powerless in that situation. He knew that guy had money and connections and there was nothing he could do about the guy plagiarizing him. Since then, he has crafted a carefully controlled world for himself, which is why he  goes around with the breathalyzer. I knew he was going to do something bad when he began musing about why people drink alone, then looked at her and asked why he was drinking with her that night. Even the designated driver mistook her for his girlfriend. We all know it is inevitable. :heart:

In one word JS is an a§§ ! I don't find it funny that he kicked drunk Hana out  in the middle of the street at night  just because she told him that he likes her. I don't know how could she ever forgive this kind of behavior and the romance between these two will take off. 

I'm glad other people agree with me that JS was awful to HN!!! I don't care that he's a man and I don't care that he's in denial about his feelings. You shouldn't abandon people -- drunk or otherwise -- in the middle of the road! 

It's a shame the episode ended that way. Up until that point I was enjoying their interactions and JS's denials. He was trying to be considerate of HN. But dumping her? NOPE.

Archived