[Drama 2016] Drinking Solo 혼술남녀

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Translation By Fan

There were more production press conferences. One of them is Drinking solo -new TVN show after ‘Bring it on, Ghost’.[Sports Seoul, Xsports News]
This is a drama telling the story of instructors and students preparing for civil service exam in NoRyangJin(district) in Seoul (where there are many cram schools). PD Choi Kyu-sil did ‘Let’s Eat’ previously.

“This drama sets on cram schools in NoRyangJin, dealing with instructors and their students living there. As you can tell from the title, using drinking as vehicle, it will be a relatable heart-warming show. Because of the title ‘drinking solo’, there are concerns this drama might stimulate drinking culture, and I was also worried if we present a drama stimulating drinking. Our production team’s task is how to make these people’s relatable points coming alive, rather than just showing drinking. I intend to put emphasis on describing the reason why people drink alone, and fitting it to feel relatable.” He said main point of the show is “feel connected”. “They say 7 out of 10 singles enjoy drinking alone. I thought people might feel empathy if we take the solo drinking as a concept. I want to say this will be cheerful, bright,
and heart-warming story you can relate.” About the reason to pick NoRyangJin as setup, he said, “They say there are 220,000 people studying for civil service exam. When we actually did the investigation, there
were many interesting stories and I thought we could pull compassion peeking at various youth. Since this is a drama with liquor as the main subject, there was a time I made actors drink to feel reality.” Park
Ha-sun added “So I threw up and drank, and threw up and drank repeatedly” (!How sad)

Ha Suk-jin(D-day) plays male lead who is a star instructor. “At a place on the way home or at home when I don’t have any schedule, I drink beer alone. I love to drink. There have been dramas dealing with food, but there hasn’t been any drama dealing with liquor especially solo drinking. I thought there would be no drama that I could do better.” About his partner Park Ha-sun, he said “This is the first time I met her and I was shocked because she was really beautiful. In the drama I am arrogant star instructor and she is newbie, so there are many scenes I look down on her. I torment her and give her pain. So I thought I better become friends with her, so I give her lots of complements. Now we have good team-work, shooting comfortably.”

Park Ha-sun(Two weeks) who plays newbie instructor said, “This is my return project after a long break. After 10 years of working I felt tired and needed the time to think. But I wanted to do acting and missed the set. I chose this project because script was really fun. It is more so because I feel connected about drinking alone. Scripts are out for 10 episodes, but we wanted to put more efforts so kept re-shooting.” About drinking alone, she said “When I ask friends to drink together they say they can’t because they have to go to work next day, unlike me who has irregular schedule. So I tend to cook something nice to eat and drink alone, especially when I can’t fall asleep, when something bothers me, or when I watch a movie.” She showed good drinking scene in ‘High kick’. Park said “Much time has passed since then. I am going to show more upgraded drinking acts. I sometimes drink to show more realistic.” About her partner Ha, she said “I met him for the first time and he really makes me feel comfortable. He said I am cute and pretty so much that my confidence which went down after I passed 30 increased. He has Heodang-like(not perfect) charms. He is really cute when he is drunk.”

Student 4 consists of Gong Myung, Key, Kim Dong-young, and Jung Chae-yeon. The caption of four Gong Myung (Entertainer) said “Since this is story of my age group, I can relate. Since my own name is used, I will try to show my real personality. Seo Gang-jun(CIIT) hyung helps me in like reading scripts together, or practicing scripts.” About GM, Park Ha-sun said, “He is pretty and refreshing and innocent. At the same time he has macho side. When he grabs my arm calling ‘Noona’, I get startled so often.”

Key said “I became close to GM and KDY, and even Chae-young who joined later. Since this is my first drama after only having worked on musical and small stage acting, I felt burdened, but it was not because of prejudice against idol, but because I wanted to show good acting. Three of us are tend to spend most of time together. There was time we drank in the house before the shooting, and I don’t have any memory but Gong Myung alone took care of us. So I think Gong Myung can drink the most.” GM said “I just happened to have good condition that day. I think Ha Suk-jin hyung can drink the most.” And Ha said “I love to drink but don’t drink too much. There has been rumor that healthy and energetic student-younger bro drink well.”

It is Jung Chae-yeon’s first acting (girl groups IOI and Dia). When asked about her exhausting schedule, she said “My agency worried about it a lot and asked if I could do it, but I said I wanted to do.” Gong Myung said she is popular. “Staffs are waiting for her on the set. She is energy source on the set. Shooting lasts until dawn, but when she shows up, the set feels like early evening.”

hello..

im so happy finally KEY set his foot to drama land.. yayyyy...

gonna watch this drama for sure since male lead lil bit looks like my siwonie oppa..lol..

hopefully i can active this this thread to during drama on going..

gonna watch ep 1 right now.. :wub:

On 9/6/2016 at 1:37 PM, luvvvkdramaa said:

Totally in love with Ha Suk Jin!!!! Can't wait for eps 2!!!! ><

I personally think Ha Seok Jin has hidden charm but he never got the chance to portray it as the male lead in his previous dramas (love his character in The Legendary Witch, though). Park Ha Sun is also great but I think not many people know her. Love her acting in Two Weeks. As a fan of Let's Eat series, I have no choice but to follow this series:phew:. My principle is to wait until the drama finishes airing and then start binge watch. I might break my principle for this drama lol

Hi everyone.

I'm a SHINee fan, and I've been a fan of Park Ha Sun ever since Dong Yi. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Honestly, Key's acting blew me off. He's really amazing. He has brought in that accent and the natural "divaness". He already has a good future.

He's Almighty Key for a reason. Lol.

Anyway, I hope to be around this thread, fishing for more details. 

I also have a feeling, Kim Kibum will have a romance with the popular girl, Jung Chae-yeon?

Let's see. The teaser kinda teased me. Hehe.

Anyway, hwaiting.

I'm off to watch ep 2.

Gosh I love this drama <3 I WAITED SO LONG FOR PARK HASUN'S DRAMA COMEBACK. Finally I can see her again ^^ This is my first time watching Ha Seokjin but OMG he is so handsome and I like his acting. Btw I am so happy that Key's acting is pretty amazing :D I hope the ratings will do well :) I am only sad that not many international fans show interest :( Ahhh whatever.. I can't wait for the next Ep ^^

Hello everyone :grin: Thanks @Go Seung Ji for this thread :) and everyone for updates, etc.:wub:

:heart:Love Love LOVE this drama after having watched the first 2 eps. Feels like a Misaeng 2.0, the female version, the No Geu Rae of DS's Noryangjin, LOL. Love it! Apparently, Noryangjin-dong is a neighborhood within the district of Dongjak-gu, which is one of 25 bustling districts that make up the infamous city of Seoul in South Korea. Love Park Ha Sun who is wonderful as usual. So beautiful too. She's my bias here. Ha Seok Jin is an axxsolutely arrogant jerk here. Still so suave looking and an interesting character for sure. He's also my bias here. This OTP is my bias not just because they are awesome in their roles, or that they are k-celebs I already like a lot, but also because 'drinking solo' is also one of my fave 'quirks' hehe, I totally feel their love, need and reasons for 'drinking solo'. Of course, drinking in twos or more is also enjoyable. I guess the deciding factor would be the occasion or mood. Anyway, this pairing is delightful to watch. Can't wait for their romance to start!

JPKwJfk.jpg 

CR: As tagged

One other interesting find is the third main cast of Gong Myung as the dongsaeng of Ha, and his increasing involvement in Park's life. Will Gong become the glue that binds Park and Ha? Looking like he will be. Although it also feels like the Jin brothers may end up 'fighting' over ONE girl? A love triangle about to erupt? LOL. I'd love that too. Looking at the relationship chart, it looks like Gong will also have a (love entanglement?) link with DIA's JCY, and so will Shinee's Key. LOL another love triangle about to erupt? Lots of fun to watch, although I'm more fixated with main 3's development. Anyhoo, good luck to newbies JCY and Key. Hope they too will enjoy good viewers' reactions like After School's Nana did in The Good Wife.

Spoiler

57UbKNB.jpg

jR6znDB.jpg

CR: tvN

The other side characters (even the two newbies DIA's JCY and Shinee's Key who have their throngs of kpop fandom), are not as interesting at the moment (at least to me now), though they do serve their roles as the supporting cast. Naturally, I hope to see how they will raise the bar of enjoyment in DS.

Rq5BhlA.jpg

CR: As tagged

Spoiler

They look like sisters, don' tthey? :) 

4Td8fe0.jpg

CR: DIA Weibo

According to *C-news, Drinking Solo looks set to get hot on the heels of the just completed and very well-received Another Oh Hae Young. In similar fashion like AOHY, the ratings for Drinking Solo has surpassed 3% just in its second ep. I love AOHY, and if this DS will be as good as, if not even better than AOHY, I'll be over the moon happy for the cast and crew, and for viewers' luck in getting another enjoyable and entertaining drama to watch :P  

Looking forward to more... Team DS, JJANG! AJA! 

zk9CmMW.jpg

XR: tvN

PS: A call for action? An idea just pops into my mind, how about watching this drama over the next several weeks while Drinking Solo? Be it beer, red wine, soju, sake, or whatever, wherever we are? hehe... Hmm... just thinking about it makes me smile :)  Game? (of course, only if you are of the legal age to drink.) 

CR: *C-news(SRC LINK)

Archived