[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

I have not commented on any shows since 2016. That being said...I had enjoyed Ruyi but I think the title should be changed to "The Abuse of Ruyi."  If the historical Ruyi went through anything like this for this lousy emperor (he is considered great in history but in this drama, I do not like him), he must have been some kind of man. 

I love Wallace Huo as an actor but in this drama I dislike him so much.  The emperor is a horrible lover.  He claimed he would  love Ruyi, protect her, and be together forever, but throughout this drama, he has not done any of those things.  But as they say "It's good to be King/Emperor".  

The emperor has not kept her from any of the abuses she has had to endure.  She went through all of them and then he came to the rescue... We heck... she doesn't need him after she has been abused, she needed him before.  If he knew all the things he claims to know, then Ruyi and Suoxin would not have gone through all of the abuses they suffered. 

I don't know what kind of man the historical Qinglong was but he must have had a golden banana!!! To know that these women fought to be next to him is crazy!!! I can't even consider my man being with another woman much less hundreds (and I know about IT!!!!).

This chick that kicked Ling Yunche to the curb... Ruthless!!!!!

That's all I can say now, I'm sleepy!

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karma is a ***** as they'd say... Not feelin' sorry for the ones that get their just desserts.. Life in palace is not as comfortable as many would think. So stressful geez. 

The Empress no doubt has a higher rank in the harem, but is insecure as heck. Forever worrying if another woman covets her husband which is understandable but what to do LoL. 

I feel bad for the ladies-in-waiting who serve these concubines. One false move from their mistresses can directly implicate them & their families yikes. 

Is Wallace wearing circle lenses?! His pupils look so dark & large that it sort of look creepy?! 

Not liking his role here much.. He seems a coward & only bothered on which concubine he sleeps with & how many heirs he will produce:rolleyes:

As for Zhou Xun, she's got this quiet elegance that make her extremely mesmerising to watch. 

Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace: Eps 4-6 Review

By Heisui

949179b0900147df90c7ceed45f0c3da.jpg

New Zhen Huan is still a mystery to me, which makes it kinda fun to try to figure out how her life differs from the old Zhen Huan.  So far the drama hasn’t shown much of her backstory; I hope we can find out more about what Zhen Huan’s life was like in the harem.

Anyways, at first I wrote off Zhen Huan (Empress Dowager) as a vengeful, merciless person.  I thought she was consumed with hatred for the former Empress and Qing Ying.

The rest of the article with credits atMy Drama Tea

FINALLY!!!!! After 48 episodes, Ruyi gets 1 day of happiness with the man she loves!!!! I really hate that we are now on the end stretch of Ruyi, especially knowing how she historically ends.

Zhou Xun was extraordinarily beautiful in this drama.  She has been the best and most beautiful empress I have seen in any of the Chinese historical dramas. She portrayed the very personification of a regal, graceful, merciful and kind empress.

I really hope to see Zhou Xun play a empress again!!! 

Wallace...please do not play another richard simmons again. I prefer to swoon over your characters!

7 hours ago, tarjig said:

FINALLY!!!!! After 48 episodes, Ruyi gets 1 day of happiness with the man she loves!!!! I really hate that we are now on the end stretch of Ruyi, especially knowing how she historically ends.

Yes, I had the same sentiment while watching episode 47! The ceremony was gorgeous and well put together, complete with all the customs that I think we have never seen before in a TV drama. I believe if you like happy endings, episode 47 is a good place to end the series on a happy note. I'm very nervous to see what will happen from here on, knowing that it will be a downward spiral.

Spoiler

In episode 48, I especially dislike the false promises that Hongli said to Ruyi. Well, I guess it isn't false promises at the time he said it but as a viewer, knowing what's in store in the end for Ruyi, I felt very unfair for her.

I really like her new maid's gung-ho attitude by the way! Go Rong Pei! For those who watched My Fair Princess, I was especially reminded of Rong Mo Mo. Are these 2 characters based off of her actual maid? Was there such a person recorded in history? If there wasn't, I feel like it's the author's way of paying tribute to the classic drama.

Spoiler

when i watched the trailer i think qianlong slapped ruyi for about 10 times .In the preview from episode 70 onwards ruyi lost her baby and their relationship seems to be going downwards. 

i really want a new drama with this version of ling fei as a lead she fits perfectly well with this version of Qianlong .I know that the ling fei in yanxi palace is cunning but she wasnt evil.

4 hours ago, Josephine Safowaa said:
  Hide contents

when i watched the trailer i think qianlong slapped ruyi for about 10 times .In the preview from episode 70 onwards ruyi lost her baby and their relationship seems to be going downwards. 

i really want a new drama with this version of ling fei as a lead she fits perfectly well with this version of Qianlong .I know that the ling fei in yanxi palace is cunning but she wasnt evil.

which trailer was that...the one with the slaps can you link it?

I watching both recently since both dramas have been the talk in the town and many make a comparison.

I am confuse because both during the same dinasty and many roles also are the same but turn to be opposite from each other.

Frankly speaking, none of this dramas can beat Empressess In The Palace. I wish Ruyi's Royal Love in The Palace (RRLITP) continue the storyline from EITP but it went in a different way i guess. It doesn't entirely look like a sequel.

Story in Yanxi Palace focus on Empress Xioayichun (eventual)/ Consort Ling ( Emperor Qianlong's 3nd Empress)

Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace focus on Step-Empress Ula-Nara/ Consort Xian ( Emperor Qianlong's 2nd Empress)

I have my likes and dislikes with both dramas. Story of Yanxi Palace (SOYP) a bit interesting to me but i dislikes how the main character was play. I meant the actress not behave as the maid/servant & lady supposed to act in a way they should be. It's really annoying for me. It more like an idol drama. I believe if they behave in actual event during that time, they will be kill right away so the drama make me feel all that not realistic. There is less formality. I don't feel like any of the women in SOYP  suited as a  King's women lol...except The Empress Fuca. She's looking very regal and perfect for the roles. While in RRLITP, the storyline is very details, all acted in a very regal, formal, define as a King's women although i must say that all actressess in EITP did that much better. I am a Zhou Xun fan but throughout the drama i feel that she's looks older. And i loves all the costumes in RRLITP more because looks expensive.

RRLITP make the 2nd Empress as the most beloved one and 1st & 3rd Empress as a villain while in SOYP, the villain and the protagonist are the opposite. And i dont think in actual event (as i read on Wikipedia), Consort Xian was the most beloved one because she became Emperor second consort after 7-9 years the Emperor & Empress Fuca were married which is she was not the childhood friend (in EITP, he hated her and don't want to get married to her). Also, RRLITP make Empress Fuca and Consort Ling (Empress Xiaoyichun)  look bad but i read on wiki, i think Emperor favoured them both more compared to Consort Xian (Step Empress). The Emperor disowned his 1st choice of his heir Prince Yonghuang after he didnt did his best for the funeral of Empress Fuca and he keep on visited her grave until  he died. While for Consort Ling, she kept getting promoted from the below rank to the  second highest rank (Imperial Noble Consort Ling), just one below the Empress. Even after she died, the Emperor gave her posthumous Imperial Noble Consort Lingyi. She bore the emperor the most childs compare to other, 6 of them and lastly in 1773 he secretly chose her son as his heir, Prince Yongyan (Prince Jia) eventhough Consort Xian (Step Empress)'s son, the other Prince Yongqi still alive that year until 3 years later (died in 1776) & other princes also still alive that time. He wasnt the emperor earlier choice since emperor favoured more Prince Yongqi (not Yongqi Ruyi's son but son of Hailan's character in RRLITP). Consort Xian became 2nd Empress also not because the Emperor wants but he just followed his mother to appointed her and he even delayed the promotion to respect Empress Fuca. If the Emperor loves her so much he wouldn't treated her so badly event not buried her as the Empress should be. She was treated and buried lowly. If she was the real love of Qianlong, at least there should be (still) a little bit of feeling love and gratitude towards her compare to how he treated Empress Fuca. If the novel said the Emperor asked to written the history to make Empress Fuca most beloved because feeling guilty kinda weird esp how he willing to disowned his 1st choice heir because not doing a good job in managing Fuca's funeral and how he kept visited her grave and longing for her. Also if Consort Ling is evil in reality, the Emperor wouldn't picked her among all to be Imperial Noble Consort (this is the 2nd rank below Empress). She also gifted a new rank even after she died. The Emperor favourite son & 2nd choice of heir, Yongqi and Consort Ling's son according to wiki are very close. So I can assumed how the relationship between them.

So the RRLITP story is so contradict from the actual event (from what i read although i dont know what actually happened during that time). It gives you unrealistic feeling when watching both. But still i loves all the cinematography, the set, the accesories, the clothing etc. This is what make me hooked in Chinese's period drama. I will just wait for the VCD/ DVD to come out. I already have my collection of Empressess In The Place. 

And i think RRLITP should take Zhen Huan as a roles of Consort Xian. she can be younger and older too. Looks how the development of her character and the transition from one phase to another in EITP. She is perfect. 

5 hours ago, harooxxx said:

RRLITP make the 2nd Empress as the most beloved one and 1st & 3rd Empress as a villain while in SOYP, the villain and the protagonist are the opposite. And i dont think in actual event (as i read on Wikipedia), Consort Xian was the most beloved one because she became Emperor second consort after 7-9 years the Emperor & Empress Fuca were married which is she was not the childhood friend (in EITP, he hated her and don't want to get married to her). Also, RRLITP make Empress Fuca and Consort Ling (Empress Xiaoyichun)  look bad but i read on wiki, i think Emperor favoured them both more compared to Consort Xian (Step Empress). The Emperor disowned his 1st choice of his heir Prince Yonghuang after he didnt did his best for the funeral of Empress Fuca and he keep on visited her grave until  he died. While for Consort Ling, she kept getting promoted from the below rank to the  second highest rank (Imperial Noble Consort Ling), just one below the Empress. Even after she died, the Emperor gave her posthumous Imperial Noble Consort Lingyi. She bore the emperor the most childs compare to other, 6 of them and lastly in 1773 he secretly chose her son as his heir, Prince Yongyan (Prince Jia) eventhough Consort Xian (Step Empress)'s son, the other Prince Yongqi still alive that year until 3 years later (died in 1776) & other princes also still alive that time. He wasnt the emperor earlier choice since emperor favoured more Prince Yongqi (not Yongqi Ruyi's son but son of Hailan's character in RRLITP). Consort Xian became 2nd Empress also not because the Emperor wants but he just followed his mother to appointed her and he even delayed the promotion to respect Empress Fuca. If the Emperor loves her so much he wouldn't treated her so badly event not buried her as the Empress should be. She was treated and buried lowly. If she was the real love of Qianlong, at least there should be (still) a little bit of feeling love and gratitude towards her compare to how he treated Empress Fuca. If the novel said the Emperor asked to written the history to make Empress Fuca most beloved because feeling guilty kinda weird esp how he willing to disowned his 1st choice heir because not doing a good job in managing Fuca's funeral and how he kept visited her grave and longing for her. Also if Consort Ling is evil in reality, the Emperor wouldn't picked her among all to be Imperial Noble Consort (this is the 2nd rank below Empress). She also gifted a new rank even after she died. The Emperor favourite son & 2nd choice of heir, Yongqi and Consort Ling's son according to wiki are very close. So I can assumed how the relationship between them.

So the RRLITP story is so contradict from the actual event (from what i read although i dont know what actually happened during that time). It gives you unrealistic feeling when watching both. But still i loves all the cinematography, the set, the accesories, the clothing etc. This is what make me hooked in Chinese's period drama. I will just wait for the VCD/ DVD to come out. I already have my collection of Empressess In The Place. 

And i think RRLITP should take Zhen Huan as a roles of Consort Xian. she can be younger and older too. Looks how the development of her character and the transition from one phase to another in EITP. She is perfect. 

Harem dramas are based on history, but in the end, they are still dramas, they do not have to be exactly accurate to one version of history, even history has different conflicted versions! Yes, history recorded that Empress Fuca is the most beloved, but do every dramas have to portrayed her as the truly most favourite? The media have been villainized Step Empress for so long, people actually convinced that she's definitely evil! But no one knows what exactly happened in the past, we only make our best assumptions based on what is recorded, so why is a fictional work, try to look at a historical character in a different way than before considered less realistic??? They still stick to the actual historical events the best they can, it just different character interpretations, what's wrong with that? After all, they are just fiction! None of them are truly realistic to begin with. 

I for once glad that there is something like RRL exist, because it made me realize how unfair these fictional works have been treating the Step Empress (and probably many other historical figures); it made me realize that these people are just historical figures, we have never and won't ever know how they actually were as people, they have always been ideas that we make up in our head based on what we can find in recorded documents. Even though the drama may not be perfect, I'm glad that for once, the Step Empress is not the villain, and for once, she can be portrayed as a good person, even if it's only fiction.

Also, I know EITP is a classic, I understand that it is (rightfully) worshipped. But if you want to be picky about history, RRL actually made a better effort to stick to history while EITP was only loosely adapted, the original novel wasn't even set in Yongzheng reign, the drama was not as accurate as you believed, honestly.

And what is so wrong about Zhou Xun and Ruyi being old? Since when being young is more perfect than being old? She portrays a character who lived for at least more than 30 years during Qianlong's reign, not someone who lived for only more than 10 years during Yongzheng reign. Even if they give Ruyi the same treatment as Zhen Huan, it's still impossible for Ruyi to be as young as Zhen Huan was.

Some of my favourite headdresses and Qing gowns worn in ep 43 and ep 46:

t5xgsP4.jpg

1LK7KQo.jpg

HCDRuBh.jpg

Spoiler

L3nrHLI.jpg

Suo Xin's wedding gown is more beautiful than Ruyi's. :lol:  So happy for Suo Xin and Jiang Yu Bin.:wub:  Am a bit behind watching this series currently. ^_^  After so many episodes I can see that Ruyi favoured simple and plainer gowns compared to the rest.  It's a sight to behold when watching this series on HD TV especially the ceremonial grandeur of crowning Ruyi as Step Empress.

Zhou+Xun+Ruyi%2527s+Royal+Love+in+the+Pa

As at 28 September 2018, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace hits 9.6 billion viewership and presently position at first place in top ten dramas currently airing in mainland China.  Before Ruyi's was at third place when it first premiered.

Credits to Dramapanda for photos and updates by Anne J.

Wallace+Huo+Ruyi%2527s+Royal+Love+in+the

Although Wallace is a good actor but I dislike his character in this series like what @tarjig said whom I fully agreed with.

@gleek49 wow you sound so DEFENSIVE.!!

But at the end it all about individual/ personal point of view right.

Also as I said before, Zhou Xun looks old and at some point she somehow looks like mom to the emperor in the drama. Probably her make up, her eyebrow or the way she talks. 

Tbh I'm glad because of SOYP and RRL make me interested more in real history. No one against it so chill k! Lmao

Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace Director Talks About His Regrets

posted by Michelle Teng on September 19, 2018

Ruyi%2527s+Royal+LOve+in+the+Palace+1.jp

Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace 如懿传 may be the top drama online nowadays, but it got off to a shaky start at first as fans criticized many things about it. Director Wang Jun admitted in an interview that he regretted taking on this project despite the drama's popularity and success. He also issued an apology to the leads Zhou Xun and Wallace Huo.  

I guess this was because netizens have noticed that the actors seemed tired and not at their best when the drama premiered. Zhou Xun had visible eye bags and there were comments that she is too old to play the doe-eyed heroine. 

Wang Jun reveals that, in the process of filming, he was also tired and had wanted to give up several times and the production was taxing on the actors as well. Wang Jun took care to ensure that drama conveyed the proper emotion which led to the snail's pace of filming. The final production yielded 120 episode total over the course of nine months and the actors tolled 17-18 hours a day just to complete it. 

Check out the rest of the article with credits at: Dramapanda

12 hours ago, believed said:

Hello, I just have a quick question about the novel this is based on. Do any of the characters (either good or evil) get a ~happy ending?

Not sure about novel but

Spoiler

suoxin in drama thus far has got kind of happy ending. Safely out of palace and married to physician Jiang  whom she loves and who loves and cares for her too

How come there doesn't seem to be any English recaps for Ruyi?

the only ones so far stop at the first few episodes ...:tears:

anyone has link to any English recaps  that are fairly up to date on the current episodes?

16 hours ago, believed said:

Hello, I just have a quick question about the novel this is based on. Do any of the characters (either good or evil) get a ~happy 

Spoiler

Except for Suoxin, I don't think so. Consort Chun ends up dead after her son dies, Ruyi kills herself and if im not mistaken her last child dies, Her best friend loses her son but  punishes Yan Wan in the end...maybe some of the kids end up with happy ending but yeah

Will anyone ever has happy ending being inside the palace? :tears: Suo Xin gets an almost happy ending because she gets to leave the palace :lol: but sadly, none of the other concubines able to leave the palace forever. Not even when they are dead. 

It saddens me when people argue about whether or not ZX is age appropriate for the role. I think she looks good and youthful for her age, especially when she is really petite in real life. Even if she does look slightly older this helps to establish herself as a senior consort/ concubine as opposed to the others. Although I do hate the curvy bang that she sported in the early half of the series because it looked fake. Afterall, she has no reason to cover her forehead... Her current hairstyle is more appealing.

There is also no point in arguing who the emperor favours more. Men who are unable to be faithful to one woman at a single point in time are d***s after all :phew:...

EITP and RRLITP are two different stories after all. Zhen Huan (as per the drama) is smarter and objective than Ruyi. The emperor forsake her but she managed to find a bit of love with the emperor's bro... even had his children. She also had her vengence with the death of the emperor. Zhen Huan was a survivor. She is probably also the smartest character in RRLITP too!

On the other hand, Ruyi is (at least until a certain point), a romantic. She trusted Qian Long and make excuses for his decisions that did not favour her. She did not want any other man, and the man that she is loyal to is not as loyal to her. Going from the spoilers, that why Ruyi's ending will be a tragic one. Ruyi's ending will be a bit like BBJX I suppose, where the main OTP fell apart in the end.

At the end of the day, RRLITP is a drama that is believable for that era and environment, where people are stiff in their conduct and expressions. It also has a strong ensemble cast from the harem, royalties, servants etc. I also appreciate that they have almost all of  the actors doing their own dubbing. Even if the actor were dubbed by others (like Wallace), it was good.

I look forward to the ending of this drama.

Spoiler

in the review for ep 77 the emperor is getting him and consort rong/xiang picture drown together.Ruyi seems so disappointed because we all remember that in the beginning of the drama  they couldn't get their picture drawn together because she was a concubine and now the emperor is breaking all rules for a woman who doesn't like him.Ruyi always make excuses to defend him  no wonder he doesn't appreciate her that well .The emperor is always flirting with  other women but gets  super jealous when she is around other men.for example in earlier episodes that monk that came to palace held ruyi's had to protect her from falling and when the emperor to saw that ,the way he looked at them no wonder he believed it when jia guifei accused them of having an affair.

Spoiler

this is off topic but i notice something when i watched kdrama that in s korea there are alot of historical figures like the the palace,the kings tomb and so on.im just curious if korea was separated in north and south ,is it possible to see some historical figures or things in north korea too.

Archived