[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

23 hours ago, etelou1 said:

Doe anyone know how ahead the trailers for the episodes are....the trailer on youtube that shows ep 85 is definitely the episodes Ruyi dies in but I want to know what the actual episode is  

Wait.. sorry which teaser were you referring to?  

From what I've gather 85-86 teaser seems to be 81-82. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just want to say that they really dragged Ruyi death for so long.....she should have been killed off in the 70 episode marks and then have the last couple of episodes with Consort ling getting bit by karma but instead they really had her alive until the last episode. 

3 hours ago, etelou1 said:

Just want to say that they really dragged Ruyi death for so long.....she should have been killed off in the 70 episode marks and then have the last couple of episodes with Consort ling getting bit by karma but instead they really had her alive until the last episode. 

After the amount they paid Zhou Xun, probably wanted to maximise their investment by featuring her as Long as possible...

4 hours ago, gaia2 said:

After the amount they paid Zhou Xun, probably wanted to maximise their investment by featuring her as Long as possible...

I believe they're actually paid per episode, or at least that was what was rumoured.  I think the original production had her die earlier, but the drama was cut from the 100+ episodes they filmed.  Which makes sense, because the drama is really long enough already. 

Drama Queen

September 13, 2018
Editor: Xie Wen

18092726.jpg

The 87-episode series, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace, chronicles the romance between Emperor Qianlong, starring Wallace Huo (right), and his second queen Ulanara Ruyi, played by Zhou Xun. [China Daily]

A highly detailed palace drama about the struggles of a Qing Dynasty empress is courting critical acclaim, Xu Fan reports.  As the last imperial dynasty in China, the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) court left numerous scrolls and books detailing the lives of our former rulers, which have inspired a number of movies and television dramas.

As the latest production to depict the palace life of Emperor Qianlong, the longest-reigning monarch in the country's feudal history, the popular series Ruyi Zhuan, or as it's known in English, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace, had accumulated nearly 4 billion clicks as of Wednesday thanks to its exquisite props, lavish sets and stellar cast.

Set in the 18th century, the tale debuted on the Tencent Video streaming site on Aug 20 and has broadcast nearly half of its 87 episodes.  Although the drama received mixed reviews in its first few days, it has won over audiences, which can be seen as its score has steadily risen from 6.5 to 7.3 points on Douban, a popular Chinese TV and movie review site.  Aside from the domestic splash, the drama headlined by Chinese actress Zhou Xun and Taiwan actor Wallace Huo has also aired simultaneously in 18 countries and regions, including the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and Brunei.

Some foreign viewers say the drama has raised their interest in Chinese history and culture.

Check out the rest of the article with credits to: Women of China Website

18092727.jpg

Although there are one or two errors from this article in terms of historical accuracy but it would still be interesting for viewers to know.

006muEijjw1f8lqo35kd9j31jk1jk44r.jpg?zoo

Read that Ruyi's viewership touch over 13 billion to-date and is presently ranked number one.

I would say the great creative efforts that the production team made for this drama is really top notch as I get to appreciate every scene in this drama aside from storyline and plot.

No matter how tragic this story going to be I will still watch till the end as I wish to get the hang of real history of Step Empress Ulanara and it compared with the author's perspective.  It's what you get without reading the novel itself which we can't read as it's written in Chinese.  So as viewers are watching this drama for the story, at the same time they are watching history comes alive right before their eyes.

I am now at episode 71 and unfortunately, I am starting to lose interest. It feels like they're in a constant mission to get pregnant since the very beginning. I get the idea that sons are preferred over daughters but how many times do they need to remind the audience that? It feels like I'm constantly being reminded in every single episode.

Concubine Ling is starting to get on my nerves as well as Qianlong. I get so angry when either of them appear on screen -- a sign that the drama is done well as I can totally relate to and feel sorry for Ruyi. I have a strong urge to skip to the last episode but I don't want to miss the juicy (backwards) development between Ruyi and Qianlong.

As a side note, my favorite character is totally Hailan! If you compare how she was in the beginning to how she is now, her facial expressions, schemes, etc. it's really inspirational to see how strong she has become over the years. Her devotion and loyalty to Ruyi is also to be admired. :relaxed:

Ruyi is, for the lack of a better word, dumb. Dumb for loving/caring about the king. Dumb for not fighting back against Ling Fei. Most of all, dumb for alienating Hailan. I really don't feel sorry for her at all. 

Hailan is arguably the "best" character in terms of balance, but why can't she do something better with her life other than revolving it around a useless Ruyi? Sisterly love is important, but she is so ... one dimensional as a character. 

It's rare for me to dislike every single character and can't relate to any character in a drama, but Ruyi Zhuan accomplished exactly that. I'm actually pretty impressed. 

Does anyone know in episode 75 (or it might be a different episode) when:

Spoiler

Ling Yunche became a eunuch and became Ruyi's servant, Qianlong came to eat dinner with Ruyi to see her reaction. QL prepared food that he claimed is Ruyi's favorites but it was in fact the opposite. Ruyi had a hard time eating the food. Does anyone know exactly what food QL prepared? I'm curious to know if there is any hidden message/meaning.

My heart can't take it:tears: - watching it episode for episode knowing this wonderful person is going to die for no reason than being too kind. :(I feel like I'm waiting for a funeral,  I'm gonna marathon the rest of it this weekend so I can get it over with.  :rolleyes: The cliffhangers happen so suddenly it makes it hard to wait for the next episode. :angry:

As I previously said, this drama should be about the abuse of Ruyi. Till the very end, she suffered.  Qianlong did not. Ling Fei did not (at least not enough).  This drama should have been about Ling Fei entirely because she ruled this drama.  She lied, cheated, tortured, and killed to get what she wanted.

That being said, this was a great drama.  It is a testament to the actors and actresses of this drama.  I hated the Qianlong.  She told him she didn't want to be in the palace....but nooooo, just like we do, we go with the man we love.  

Even though I did not agree with the way Ruyi handled the matter of Ling Fei, she was true to who she was. She loved Qianlong's richard simmons.  And so, the suffering.

Hailan, I loved her because she was Ruyi's true friend.  I didn't like the fact that she betrayed her in a sense. But she was a good friend.

In the end, I enjoyed the entire drama. Will watch again sometime later.  

Zhou Xun was a perfect Empress!!! I hope to see her again as an Empress or Dowager!!! Long Live the Empress!

3 hours ago, tarjig said:

As I previously said, this drama should be about the abuse of Ruyi. Till the very end, she suffered.  Qianlong did not. Ling Fei did not (at least not enough).  This drama should have been about Ling Fei entirely because she ruled this drama.  She lied, cheated, tortured, and killed to get what she wanted.

That being said, this was a great drama.  It is a testament to the actors and actresses of this drama.  I hated the Qianlong.  She told him she didn't want to be in the palace....but nooooo, just like we do, we go with the man we love.  

Even though I did not agree with the way Ruyi handled the matter of Ling Fei, she was true to who she was. She loved Qianlong's richard simmons.  And so, the suffering.

Hailan, I loved her because she was Ruyi's true friend.  I didn't like the fact that she betrayed her in a sense. But she was a good friend.

In the end, I enjoyed the entire drama. Will watch again sometime later.  

Zhou Xun was a perfect Empress!!! I hope to see her again as an Empress or Dowager!!! Long Live the Empress!

I agree with many points in your comment! I don't agree with how ruthless Ling Fei sometimes is, but the things she do are so much more entertaining than the holier-than-thou attitude Ruyi had. The way Ling Fei rose from servant to empress is far more inspiring than watching Ruyi getting screwed over again and again. I wish the author would write a Ling Fei chronicle. She's way better with the "rise-to-power" trope than the romance one.

Ultimately, this is a love/romance story and not a rise-to-power story the way Zhen Huan was (I can't stop comparing the two because they were written by the same writer and whatnot), but it tried to do too much and ended up falling short of delivering a memorable message. Legend of Zhen Huan delivered some powerful messages about learning from your mistakes, not to be too arrogant, being careful about who you trust, the cost of power and so on. We don't learn anything from Legend of Ruyi except let's sacrifice everything for some abusive richard simmons who's not worth a second thought. Hard pass. Ruyi is everything a person should not aspire to be.  

But this is not to say that the drama is a bad one. The acting is truly top notch. Every character felt alive and I think the actors/actresses were extremely fitting. I loved Ling Fei's witch-y-ness, love Ruyi's stoicism and subtlety, love how the emperor was portrayed and love Jin Zhong's evilness. 

In terms of who had a happy ending - I think Zhen Huan's ending is as happy as it gets. She lived to a ripe old age, her son became one of the most famous emperor of the dynasty and she remained on the top of the food chain for the rest of her life.  

11 hours ago, outsanity said:

She's way better with the "rise-to-power" trope than the romance one.

Honestly, this seems to sum up my feelings about the drama as well, although I don't know how well it applies here because I found that the schemes inserted into this drama only succeeded because the others were too nice to fight back. Does that make the rise to power more or less legitimate? I guess that doesn't matter.

I agree with many points in your comment! I don't agree with how ruthless Ling Fei sometimes is, but the things she do are so much more entertaining than the holier-than-thou attitude Ruyi had. The way Ling Fei rose from servant to empress is far more inspiring than watching Ruyi getting screwed over again and again. I wish the author would write a Ling Fei chronicle. She's way better with the "rise-to-power" trope than the romance one.

You are correct...Ling Fei's "rise-to-power" was interesting. I just hated how she treated Ling Yunche the most.  She wanted her cake (Ling Yunche, because he was sweet) and ice cream (Emperor, because he is sooooo cold). 

There is a drama called the Story of Yanxi Palace that ran at the same time as Ruyi that is about Ling Fei.  I have not watched it yet because I can't find an English sub to it.

In terms of who had a happy ending - I think Zhen Huan's ending is as happy as it gets. She lived to a ripe old age, her son became one of the most famous emperor of the dynasty and she remained on the top of the food chain for the rest of her life.  

Zhen Huan's story was great! And I didn't come to hate the player the Emperor was.  Chen Jianbin did a great job in getting me to like the player!! He was a smooth talker.  Wallace Huo did a superb job of getting me from liking his character to just hating his character.  I hated that he treated Ruyi!! Especially since he claimed to love her.

I did appreciate how the story went from Zhen Huan disliking Ruyi to defending Ruyi.  Zhen Huan at least had respect for her in the end.

Archived