[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

7 hours ago, nika94 said:

Hi!:))  Your point of view is interesting! :)) 

I also have heard that Korean people really like dramas with a lot of angony. But When I read the Comments for each episode, Knetizens praise the drama and show love for JunChung couple. When You look at the whole picture of feedback, "Hoe Jun Jae" Character has really stolen hearts of viewers and is popular. Chung is also a very refreshing and new character. 

On the other hand, you are right that If Park Ji Eun Writer-nim wants to give a boost to ratings, she should throw more conflict and suspense to drama. I don't think it is hard for a professional writer like Park ji Eun to bring some conflict to drama. But I don't know why she doesn't.  

I personally LOVE everything about LBS. But for the Sake of LMH and JJH, I wouldn't mind if writer gives us some heartbreak and agony. 

My question is, Did "my love from another star" had the same Pace?! To be honest, I haven't watched the whole drama that is why I am asking. Because I DO know that "my love from another star" had high ratings. So can someone please share their opinion? :)) I know I know that it is not right to compare two different dramas. But since they are both from same writer, I would like to know how early the tension and thrill came into the drama? How is it different?

I think this is a very good topic 2 discuss here. So I hope someone shares their idea.

PS   My last words: I do Think Legend of The Blue Sea Plot is somehow that It CAN Easily go down the dark path and bring so much tension. This plot has Such  strong elements that could be More emotional, heavy and tense. We also have enough Bad and evil characters. 

So My last question! :D sorry!  Do you guys think "The Heirs" was More thrilling and full of suspense that It had such high ratings?! I'm confused. :D

I am not entirely sure which genre appeals to knetz more. I notice romantic comedies are received better than melodramas, especially if they are makjang. But overall, it depends on how well the story is written. Sometimes, romantic comedies are too cheesy for knetz and sometimes, melodramas are too heavy for their liking. So it depends. 

For this drama in particular, it does seem like knetz fully enjoy the JunCheong couple and Theirfun personalities. I thoroughly enjoy it as well. So perhaps we need more swoonworthy moments? Lol. I wouldn't mind. 

I agree with you that this drama has potential to travel down either or. I predict the coming episodes will not be as light as the first half. We actually saw a pretty intense beginning to episode 12. That being said, the writer knows her audience. When you sign up for a romantic comedy, you don't expect it to get super heavy and intense later. She can only do so much with what she has. It is hard to satisfy all viewers. While some will enjoy the thrill, some will say they miss the lightheartedness of the drama. Therefore, it's hard to make everyone happy. I, in particular, am just really missing KDR. I want to show more of him because I think it's really intriguing when KDR and HJJ are in sync. I also wouldn't mind seeing MDY's evilness put to test. We know he commits murder but I'm afraid that impact hasn't hit me just yet. Therefore, there should be more to him. At this moment, I can see he is evil but I do not feel his wrath as strong as I usually do with villians. 

I will do the honor of answering your question about MLFAS. The suspense began from episode 1. So it's a rather incomparable drama. Right from the get go, there was a murder case. In LOTBS there was one murder case, but of little relevance to the main characters. In MLFAS, CSY was directly affected by the murder. In LOTBS, we do have an attempt murder that left Ahjusshi injured and in a critical state but I guess they haven't really shown how much it affects HJJ. I do think that it is highly likely ahjushi will not make it though. And perhaps that will have a bigger impact. Anyway, I think the overall vibe of the two dramas are very different. Therefore, I didn't expect LOTBS to have the same suspense. 

Lol, regarding heirs, that one is simple, the answer is writer kim and lots of promotion. For me, heirs versus LOTBS, it is hands down, any day, LOTBS for the win!  I much prefer it. 

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, farawayland said:

@mythicalove I've only watched handful of Kdramas, never watch any of Heirs writer drama but from what I read, she is good at creating exciting story that looks appealing on the surface but lack depth. Typical tropes, angst, petty conflicts arguments, romantic scenes on a beautiful day etc are often used to tap into audiences' emotion. We are bought into it and she knows it. 

For LOTBS writer, I have a feeling that she is consciously trying to construct this story so that

1. it's an honest story without unnecessary angst and typical cheesy lines. I agree but sometimes it's not at all bad if used correctly to trigger our emotion 

2. It's different from MLFAS by creating a lighter sweet drama  ( we have both JJH and LMH doing comedy here therefore less suspenseful elements compared to MLFAS). Like i said before, Korean prefer more dramatic stories with conflict even with thin plot. So less addicting factors for them to find out immediately what would happen next. They could just wait to watch it online later.

3. All the suspense has been scattered here and there to give space for comedy and build a strong ending for the story but she forget that most people don't have patient. They want to be told what they should expect within the first few episodes. The threats don't seem threatening enough. 

I love this drama. It's just my logical mind could not help but trying to figure out why it did not reach higher rating. Mostly due to writer conscious decision to avoid certain things and take it to a specific direction, making it less "cracktastic" for some. 

We have closure in terms of our couple feelings. It's time to face and fight the devil in the next 8 episodes!!! I hope the writer and director hear our voice!

To me, the mere problem with this drama, you mentioned in point 3: the threat doesn't seem very threatening thus far, which is why I hope the last 8 episodes will take a turn. I am enjoying this drama and I love the relationship development, and I live for those funny cute moments, but I am definitely looking forward to a little more angst or suspense. That is for certain. 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, briseis said:

LOTBS is the number one show in the 22pm timeslot. THE LIST SHOWS THE RATINGS OF ALL THE SHOWS THAT AIRED DURING THE WHOLE DAY. The best rated show on that day (21.12) is with 21,1 % the daily drama THE SHINING EUN SOO (it's running time is only 35 minutes and it airs from 8:25 pm to 9 pm). LOTBS is 3rd.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought it meant 3rd for that time slot but it is for the whole day. So Shining Eun Soo was first and what was second since I can't read Korean and LOBTS is 3rd. Are they all dramas or it includes other shows e.g. entertainment, news, etc?

• Like 9

"The Legend of the Blue Sea" Sin Hye-seon makes drunk confession to Lee Min Ho

photo798615.jpg

Sin Hye-seon made a drunk confession to Lee Min-ho.

On the episode of the SBS drama "The Legend of the Blue Sea", Joon-jae (Lee Min-ho) was arrested by the police and Sim Cheong (Jeon Ji-hyeon) was in danger.

Cha Sia (Sin Hye-seon) thought Tae-oh (Sin Won-ho) wanted a picture of her when he asked her to take a picture with him at the Christmas Party.

She then called him out to a street vendor and gave him a picture of herself saying, "You have to understand that I can't accept your heart. I have liked Joon-jae for 7 years and it was only possible because I kept my distance".

However, Sia got very drunk and made various pledges to Joon-jae saying, "I will marry you without an engagement and I will make a donation to UNICEF at our baby's birthday party".

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea-sin-hye-seon-makes-drunk-confession-to-lee-min-ho-101757.html

• Like 10

15590383_375802159420403_36945442634372915589680_1415908598428860_69055432256211

A forehead kiss mean "Protection"  and "Respect".

It says "Your Mine, don't ever leave my side".
It says "I care about you and I don't want you to get hurt".
It says "I'll come between you and whatever tries to hurt you".
It says "I love you".

cr nalynJea/owner

• Like 11

"The Legend of the Blue Sea" Lee Min-ho and Jeon Ji-hyeon kiss

photo798800.jpg

Heo Joon-jae (Lee Min-ho) was nice and caring to Sim Cheong (Jeon Ji-hyeon) who had had a rough day. When she asked if they were going to be together forever, he answered, "Not forever. I rented the house for 2 years. This isn't really my house. Only the things and furniture inside the house are mine. We are going to move. Sim Cheong asked who was moving it all and he answered, "You are. You're going with me".

Joon-jae was able to read Sim Cheong's mind and he went through joy and confusion at the same time. Joon-jae thought it was cute, the way Sim Cheong spent nights up thinking about anything and everything he said but he couldn't sleep. Jo Nam-doo (Lee Hee-joon) asked them what was wrong when they showed up for breakfast looking tired. Heo Joon-jae couldn't say he was up reading Sim Cheong's mind but suffered quietly on his own. Then he told everyone to get out of the house so that Sim Cheong could do what she wanted to do on her own. However, Sim Cheong misunderstood his cause as they were going to go out without her.

Joon-jae then even asked her to stop thinking about anything. However, Sim Cheong's heart started thumping at what he said. Sim Cheong asked Tae-oh how to use the computer and Joon-jae got jealous at the sight of them together. Joon-jae had let slipped his true feelings accidentally but Cheong didn't notice this.

Sim Cheong was waiting on Joon-jae's bed when he came in and said she had to ask him something. Joon-jae found out she was thinking about 'being on the hook' like Cha Sia said. But she didn't finish her question and said she was going to think about it all night and then ask him again. Joon-jae was worried he wouldn't be able to get a good night's sleep again so he said, "I don't know what you're thinking about, but I don't want you to think about anything and don't do anything". Then he kissed her.

Source: http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea-lee-min-ho-and-jeon-ji-hyeon-kiss-101758.html

• Like 9

Legend of the Blue Sea: Episode 12

by javabeans | December 22, 2016 | 4 Comments
bluesea12-00523a.jpg
I don’t think I’ve ever liked Lee Min-ho this much, which is a surprise because I liked him an awful lot in his Boys Before Flowers and City Hunter days, and so very little in the years following that I wasn’t sure I’d ever come around again. But Joon-jae flailing is my favorite thing right now, and watching him run around trying to make his girl happy (and flubbing it fairly regularly) is just the thing to lift my spirits and make me laugh. This show isn’t very deep, but it can still make me happy.

Back in the Joseon prison, Dam-ryung angrily tells Lord Yang to die and never be reborn, raising his sword to strike. At the last second, more officers enter the building to order Dam-ryung to stop, and instead read him his charges of being bewitched by a strange creature and failing to fulfill his duty. Hearing his punishment of house arrest, Dam-ryung stares in disbelief, while Lord Yang grins.

In present-day Seoul, Joon-jae gets caught by the detective he impersonated previously, and gets cuffed. Joon-jae volunteers to go quietly to avoid a scene, knowing that Chung is nearby, and puts up no fight. The pink octopus stuffed animal he’d won for her drops to the ground, while nearby, Chung wishes for him to come to her quickly.

[READ MORE - DRAMABEANS]

• Like 10

Since CH already works for his step-father's company and is somewhat entitled to some inheritance because of his familial status, I think that is all he should get. He still appears to want what HJJ has although materialistically he probably has more. His longing looks at SC does not necessarily suggest lust, but it does imply envy or jealousy of not having a similar relationship of his own. After usurping HJJ's role as son in the family (intentional or not) he has no real satisfaction in being a step-son, nor does his life of comfort seem to satisfy him. I think he always dreaded the day would come when there would be recompense for his being the son in the home and not in the heart. 

He has ample opportunity to obstruct his mother's attempted murder, he has observed her switching the medicine and listened to her nonsensical explanations about their status quo; he knows she does not have any maternal instinct towards HJJ. He is not caught between a rock and a hard place because he is free to make his own decisions. He could alert his step-father about the medicine and at the least inform his mother that he knows what she is doing. His desire to protect her means he a willing accomplice in her scheme to commit murder. His warning to HJJ is pathetic because it will not absolve him of his responsibility in his mother's covert activities. 

I believe he agonizes over the situation he finds himself in but he is not being proactive towards doing the right thing ( I will protect my mother). His failure to act with conviction for righteousness sake sabotages his humanity. He is charged with helping his mother to correct her behavior so as to not having a need to protect her. If her third husband dies and dies as a blind man I don't think she will escape being accused of at the least impropriety. Her reputation is already questionable. So, CH can best serve his mother by being honest with her and disclosing his knowledge of her covert activities.

I want to be wrong about CH and he takes a turn for the better, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. That is magnified in his case if MDY is his father.

I like the pace and progress of the drama. I don't need suspense, I don't need overt oversexulized behavior ( both of the women involved with LMH are married) and I don't need much darkness in a romcom, it is why I watch romcoms. When I want darkness I watch melodramas. Also, I am reminded that this is not just a romcom but also a fantasy. Watching SC grow is like watching a young child discover the world. It is so funny how she agonizes over things she does not understand and it is crazy to watch HJJ try to appease her without revealing he can hear her voice. He needs to listen to the street person's advice and assure her he loves her.

By-the-way, HJJ will be able to afford his own house once he inherits from his father or joins his father's company. Will his mother end up rescuing his father and a family reunion takes place?

• Like 16