Shin Ae Ra

Guest jahye

신애라 representing the older women! :D

SHIN AE RA (신애라)

1tn4.jpg

Birthday: 3/7/1969

Blood Type: O

Education: Joong Ang University

Family: Married to actor Cha In Pyo (차인표) Â÷ÀÎǥ11.jpg since 1995 with 1 son and 1 daughter.

Close Friends: Yoo Ho Jung (유호정) 2005050922310419705408.jpg, Ha Hee Ra (하희라) 2006071317580919705973.jpg, Choi Ji Woo (최지우) 2006033110333319704848.jpg

Debut: 1989 MBC 'Angel's Choice' (1989년 MBC '천사의 선택')

FILMOGRAPHY

Musicals

1998: 넌센스 (Nonsense)

웨스트 사이드 스토리 (West Side Story)

FILMS

2006: Ice Bar (아이스케키)

Official Site, more info HERE

DRAMAS

1989: KBS 야망의 세월

1990: KBS 사랑이 꽃피는 나무, MBC 사랑의 선택

1991: KBS 여자의 시간 , MBC 나의 어머니, KBS 징검다리

1992: MBC 사랑이 뭐길래

1993: SBS 우리들의 뜨거운 노래, KBS 연인, SBS 모래위의 욕망

1994: MBC 사랑을 그대 품안에, SBS 세남자 세여자

1995: SBS 야망의 불꽃

1997: SBS 장미의 눈물, MBC 사랑의 조건

1999: MBC 남의 속도 모르고

2000: MBC 시트콤 가문의 영광

2005: SBS 불량주부 (Bad Housewife) 7502.jpg

2006: SBS 랄랄라 하우스 (Lalala House - coming in October)

WEBSITES

Cha In Pyo & Shin Ae Ra Daum Cafe

epg info

Korean fansite (currently not working)

IMAGES

With her husband Cha In Pyo (they got to be one of the biggest and most talented pair of spouses in the Korean entertainment industry.

2xr3.jpg

3bp1.png

4sr9.jpg

5tx4.jpg

6xg5.jpg

With her costar from 아이스케키, Park Ji Bin.

9jf5.jpg

10vs6.jpg

With her over 30 friend, Choi Ji Woo. These older ladies got to represent!

11fn7.jpg

The role that brought her back!

7uh9.jpg

Over 35 and still smoking hot! :lol:

2zf5.jpg

1ou5.jpg

4vl6.jpg

3ev2.jpg

*NEWS*

5bi0.jpg

Shin Ae Ra makes a comeback to TV in a Friday drama, 1 year and 4 months after her hit Bad Housewife.

When 내사랑 못난이 (My Lovely Fool) ends in October, SBS will follow up with 랄랄라 하우스 (tentatively called 'Lalala House' in English) starring Shin Ae Ra. The first episode is scheduled to air October 27th.

Link to Article

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 28, 2006

There's More to Life Than Acting, Says Shin Ae-ra

200608280004_00.jpg

Shin Ae-ra is a veteran actress with 17 years of experience. For a long time, however, she became a byword along with her husband Cha In-pyo for their exemplary life as a couple. The Chosun Ilbo met her as her latest film 'Ice Kekii' was released Thursday. The movie is about a boy who runs a makeshift ice cream parlor to earn money for a trip to Seoul to meet his father. Shin plays the boy's mother, who has a difficult time as a single mother. Didn't she feel constrained when the press always insists on her model marriage?

This is your big-screen debut.

It was not only my first movie but also my first experience acting in a historical drama and speaking Jeolla dialect. It was a whole new experience and I really liked it.

What did you imagine the single mother you play is like?

I thought she must have been an extraordinary woman, being courageous enough to raise a child as a single mom at that time. She is just a fragile woman, but she has become used to the tough life to protect her child from a hostile world and sometimes engage in battles with the world.

There are actors who seem to bet everything on their acting and live a passionate life. You are certainly not that kind of actor, are you?

They are real actors. In that sense, I think their sometimes irregular life needs to be respected. I do my best as an actress. But I don't think that I am as passionate or capable as they are, and I wouldn't like to be either. I believe that God has given me a job other than acting to do.

What is that job?

It may be related to taking care of children. I believe that the reason my husband and I became celebrities is that God designed things this way to give us a well-intentioned job to do. I support 10 children in El Salvador and the Philippines via Compassion (Shin is goodwill ambassador for this organization) and it is such an encouraging experience to exchange letters with them. I hope that I'll be able to travel to those countries to see them when they grow up.

Doesn't it make you feel uncomfortable that the press only talks about your goodness?

I truly felt that when adopting my daughter Ye-eun (which means 'the blessing of Jesus'). We adopted her just because we love children so much and wanted to have a girl. We were really embarrassed because we didn't think that it was a big deal that merits a compliment. Now I realize that I don't have to strive to meet other people's expectations. If I try to, it would be hypocritical and there would be lots of restrictions on my behavior.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0608280004.html

Wow. Finally a thread of her own! ^^ hehe thanks Jahye!

Cha In Pyo and her make such a beautiful couple hehe... I wonder how their kids look like ;)

She's surely one beautiful and talented actress, I love her role in Bad Housewife..

Good to know that her upcoming drama will be up next after My Lovely Fool,.. my new Fridays addiction haha.. :)

Copied from the News thread

Updated Dec. 14, 2005 21:44 KST

Celebrity Couple Adopts 'God-Sent' Addition to Family

200512140025_00.jpg

Korean star couple Cha In-pyo and Shin Ae-ra have adopted a baby girl. Married since 1995, the couple also have a seven-year-old son of their own. While celebrity couples not infrequently adopt, it is rare for couples with children of their own to do so.

“My pretty baby daughter keeps us busy. It’s not a big deal that merits a compliment,” said Shin (36).

She says she gave birth to one child, but God has given her another in a different way. “I thought it would be good to adopt a child who would otherwise have to make her way through the big wide world all by herself.” They named the baby Ye-eun, meaning “the blessing of Jesus.”

The couple mulled adoption for a long time. The idea has its roots in Shin’s unusual fondness of infants during her girlhood, when she used to bathe the babies next door. Shortly after getting married to Cha (38), she was busy as a volunteer taking care of children at orphanages and welfare centers, and soon made up her mind to adopt one of them. Cha agreed but doubted it would really happen.

“It was extremely hard for us to pick one out of so many children,” Cha says. “The adoption made us ask the fundamental question by what right we choose a child’s path of life.”

Shin also balked at the thought that by picking one, they were abandoning a host of others to an uncertain fate. But she came across Ye-eun three weeks ago while babysitting some 50 babies at the Social Welfare Society, a non-profit organization in Seoul. The round-faced baby in the cradle often came to her mind and even appeared in her dreams, so she finally sent a text message to her husband in the studio. “The time came to adopt her.” Shin says, “Since I was often told I and Ye-eun look alike, maybe I felt more attracted to her.”

Their son Jeong-min is excited to have a little sister. He went to school in the afternoon, vowing to boast it to his friends. “Boy, he doesn’t have any idea of the storms that lie ahead,” Shin laughs, saying Jeong-min may feel jealous if all his parents’ love goes to the new baby.

When she grows up a little bit, the couple will tell Ye-eun that she was adopted, they say. “She would find out on her own sooner or later, and it would be a bigger shock that we’ve been trying to hide things from her,” Shin says. “When she starts to understand speech, I’ll tell her, ‘You are a god-sent gift I received for my prayers.’”

Since adoption is relatively rare in Korean society, didn’t their parents object? Cha says it took no time for his parents and father-in-law to agree with them. Shin’s mother, who died of stomach cancer last year, said, “If you two insist, I agree.”

“Adoption is not an easy choice, but once I decided to share my love without asking anything from her in return, it became easy,” Shin says. And her husband adds, “Preparing a nursery for Ye-eun was delightful and made me very happy. I’m sorry I didn’t think of such a pleasant thing earlier.” Shin plans to put her acting job on hold for some time to devote herself entirely to the baby.

englishnews@chosun.com

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0512140025.html

----------------------------

Updated Dec.15,2005 22:05 KST

Celebrity Couple Sets Example to Follow

Celebrity couple Cha In-pyo and Shin Ae-ra recently adopted a baby daughter. They say their seven-year-old biological son and their adopted daughter are equally precious to them. Naming their adopted daughter Ye-eun or the blessing of Jesus, the couple said, "Adoption is not something to be hidden but just another means by which God gives us children."

Their choice sets an important example. Both parents are celebrities, and they already have a natural son. While it is by no means less commendable when ordinary couples adopt children, adoptions by highly visible people can have the extra effect of shifting our society’s entrenched views on the matter.

With its 50-year history of overseas adoption, Korea has been branded with the stigma of an "orphans exporter." According to the Ministry of Health and Welfare, 156,000 Korean children were adopted abroad from 1958 until this June, but only 67,000 children were adopted at home. Even in the 2000s, the ratio between Korean children adopted overseas and at home stood at about 2,500 and 1,500 or 6:4. No other country with a per-capita national income of over US$10,000 sends children abroad for adoption.

The main reason is a tradition stressing the blood line and a concomitant perception that there is no reward in bringing up other people’s children. Cha In-pyo and Shin Ae-ra will broaden the horizon of families who think this way and encourage them to adopt children.

That the two stars made the adoption public is also remarkable in view of the fact that 70 percent of the couples who adopt children here do so in secret. It is not uncommon for adopting mothers to check into maternity clinics to disguise adopted babies as their own, and to enter them directly into their family registers without going through the adoption process. Cha and Shin are setting an excellent example by saying they will tell their daughter she is adopted but at the same time offer her consistent reassurance that she is precious to them.

Cha In-pyo and Shin Ae-ra consider themselves blessed to have been given their new daughter through adoption. We hope many more Ye-euns and their new parents will share this happiness.

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0512150026.html

Guest millie0305

they've adopted long before anyone else had really done it and before it was more accepted in korea. i love them as a couple.

i really really really want to be JUST like Shin Ae Ra when i get to her age. she's so beautiful and free.

Dec 23, 2005

Cha In-pyo, Shin Ae-ra Support 10 Foreign Children

bubu_l.jpg

Following a heartwarming news report on the recent adoption of a baby girl by the couple comprised of Cha In-pyo and Shin Ae-ra, both TV celebrities have also impressed their fans when it was reported that they have been supporting a total of ten foreign children since two months ago.

Cha and Shin decided to support ten children in the Philippines, Bangladesh and Africa until they reach adulthood.

Their praiseworthy deed was realized through "Compassion," a civic group where Shin is working as its PR ambassador. "Compassion" is a worldwide non-profit organization that finds sponsors for starving children around the world. Cha and Shin are regularly exchanging letters with these children and are giving each of them 35,000 won every month.

Cha said on Dec. 22, "It's nothing. I feel a little awkward that this story has been disclosed to the public."

He added, "My wife met the children in the Philippines two months ago. We just decided to give them a little help until they become adults. I feel a little ashamed because many others have already been doing this kind of thing."

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...4527_11858.html

• 2 weeks later...

The title of her upcoming drama has changed from 랄랄라 하우스 to 마이 러브 (My Love).

From the writer of 변호사들 (Lawyers) and the director of 왕의 여자 (King's Woman).

It premieres October 27th!

The male lead? 이창훈 Lee Chang Hoon

Some of his more recent dramas: 서동요, 어여쁜 당신, 백만송이 장미, 야인시대

200610101826061110_1.jpg

Guest Happy_Day

She really seems like a kind and genuine person. She reminds me of Reese Witherspoon, for some reason.. Maybe it's the classy look and perkiness? Haha!

Guest limroom9

she doesnt look korean in a lot of the pictures. lee chang hoon did well in seodongyo. looking forward to seeing them act together.

Guest Lynnz-Leen

Shin Ae Ra n Cha In Pyo are my first favorite korean stars. They make me love korean drama. " All My Love For You" is my 1st drama, I think they met in this drama, rite? It was far before korean drama waves hit asian. That's great that they got married after this drama.

Do u have more info abt this drama? I lack lots info about this drama.

I love them, everytime I watch korean drama, I always remember them.

Im glad of hearing they are still happy together n doing lots social works.

Btw, I agree, shin ae ra doesnt look "usual" korean, rite?

She's prettier now (compare to the old drama) but she looks more "natural" in old drama (all my love for u), well..yeah, I think she's more caring abt her beauty now..myb due to her age :)

Anyway..stilllll...love n adore her, Shin onni!

Guest jade_empress

i can't believe that she already that old! wow...i wanna be a pretty as her in my late 30's....and also, she is so kind especially to children!

i just love here in bad housewife!!! she is so adorable...but anyway, i can't really see her as bad in the drama...i just do not get the title...:(

I love the bangs! They make her look younger and even cuter! ^_^

ml7if9.jpg

ml2pg6.jpg

ml5mq8.jpg

ml35ct2.jpg

ml36am0.jpg

ml37rw0.jpg

ml38pp2.jpg

ml40oa7.jpg

newsenphotophpqr2.jpg

My Love official website

img040220061019113832mx7.jpg

img040220061019113919ga4.jpg

img040220061019114025et3.jpgimg040220061019114134kp8.jpg

Besides Shin Ae Ra, the drama doesn't have much appeal to me.

Not a fan of the other cast members. :mellow:

But I'll reserve judgement until I watch a couple episodes, although I've never watched a Friday drama before.

Archived