[Variety] Sister's Slam Dunk 언니들의 슬램덩크 (KBS) - Season 1 & Season 2

Guest Tinkiebell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Jin-young was the MVP this episode. I think my favorite thing about her personality is how she can be all fun and happy one second, but as soon as one of her friends is in trouble she rushes right in to defend them. I noticed it first when Somi was crying and she hopped right up to comfort her, but I think her first instinct was "who made you cry?" like she was going to scold them. Same with Chae-young, When she heard that she was struggling and that the producers might have been giving her a hard time in the recording booth, she looked like she was ready to rush right in and knock some heads together. thankfully, she was called back by Sook but rather than do nothing, went with plan B instead, to put the producers in a better mood. I don't think that this girl group experience is anything like her other 3, but she seems on guard at times and is willing to ride or die for the Unnies. Which will work great for her future rap career.

Despite Yewon's recording session being put on hold, her song with Coach Detail was beautiful. I'm glad that he is gentle with her and the others. I also laughed at how baffled some of the Unnies were with his strange metaphors and round about descriptions about how he wanted them to sing and how some of them were like "oh totally, she's definitely singing more walnutty now." 

Did not expect Jin-kyung to be so smiley after her session, but I'm glad she made it through without at much turmoil as last season. I've been watching some of it, and it's hard to see her trying hard only to not see much change or improvement. I think the female dance coach in particular this season has been so supportive and I think her praise has resulted in Jin-kyung doing better overall. Jin-kyung's support of Chae-young was funny: "I know I'm in no position to coach you about singing...but..." Couple that with Jin-young's kisses and insisting that she drink more and more water, and I'm not too surprised it didn't have the intended effect.

We'll see how day two of the recording session goes, and here's crossing our fingers that Jin-young gets a rap part!

9 hours ago, gutibear said:

i really can't wait for eps 11..Jin-Young and Jessi in one frame!! Oh my God...both are my fav Unnies.

Same! If only they could do a show together, it will be most hilarious. Lol

Hoping real hard that Jin Young gets a rap part... I don't think she has many lines in the song judging from Ep 10. 

I see that the show has finally picked up fans on this thread. I feel so thankful that there are fans to the show. And for those that have not watch s1, I hope you do, at least the part of Min Hyorin's dream of being in a girl group. It was really fun as I recall and her dream was hwhat ad contributed to the highest ratings to the show. That's why they kind of repeat this dream and centered it on this season. :blush:

I'm so grateful that everyone has an insightful take towards the show. I guess there are more international fans to the show than the Koreans do.:sweat_smile:

I don't know where to begin talking about the show but since everyone has spoke my mind, I'll talk about other things instead.

Anybody realized that most of the people working with the girls this season are connected to JYP?? Except for G-Choong Saem, who is from SM everyone else including PD Kim Hyungsuk, the stylist who is the the stylist for TWICE,  both the female and male choreographer and the musical director had experiences with JYP??? :smirk:

This show is only showing its 10th epi but why do i feel like they will debut anytime soon? Please don't move to quick! The next epi will reveal their costumes already....:dizzy:

I cannot wait to watch this weeks new epi. Jessi is showing up to help HJY and the ever helpful DefConn (hey KBS family!). I hope the rest of s1 members show up too. And I hope HJY will get her rap part. I am like everyone else rooting for her to get that part.

57 minutes ago, tdjunlimited said:

Anybody realized that most of the people working with the girls this season are connected to JYP?? Except for G-Choong Saem, who is from SM everyone else including PD Kim Hyungsuk, the stylist who is the the stylist for TWICE,  both the female and male choreographer and the musical director had experiences with JYP???

What do you think is the connection there? Do you think that they asked him again and though he had to turn it down, still reached out to his friends to help? Or maybe they watched him doing it last year and thought it looked like something they would like to try? Do you think JYP is pulling strings in the background and will pop up at the end? He seems pretty hands on from season 1 so I kinda doubt that.

My theory came from when I was watching episode 16 from last season. around the 1h:14m mark JYP talks about how after working with the Unnies, "personally, [he] got back some things that [he] had forgotten." I think that he recognized that the business can breed cynicism but that it also make dreams. My guess is that he saw value in working with the Unnies, and wanted his friends in the business who might also have become jaded by the whole process (as we sort of saw in the early episodes), become re-energized and refreshed in their own careers. Whether that was his intention or not, I think that is what is happening.

Truthfully, I was almost skip this show because I was so disappointed that Jessi is not continue in season 2. But I'm glad I gave it a try. 

Just like I fell in love with Jessi's personality in season 1, I fell in to Jin Young's bubbly charm in season 2. Both are so expressive with their feeling and I love that.

2 hours ago, gutibear said:

Truthfully, I was almost skip this show because I was so disappointed that Jessi is not continue in season 2. But I'm glad I gave it a try. 

Just like I fell in love with Jessi's personality in season 1, I fell in to Jin Young's bubbly charm in season 2. Both are so expressive with their feeling and I love that.

Tbh I started watching S2 only because of Hong Jin Young. Was really happy when I saw that she is on the list of casts. She is always good in variety. She is funny and witty in Radio star, barefoot friends, happy together etc. Too many to list down. Lol

I like Jessi too in S1 too. But I didn't dwell too much in her not continuing. Apart from the comedians Kim Sook and Hong Jinhyung, the rest has no reason to continue especially forming yet another girl group? Doubt the singers and actresses would want it as it is not value adding to their career.

Guest Tinkiebell

It's really nice to see that there are finally some discussions going on in this thread. 

I watched the first season, and I have to say that even though I enjoyed it thoroughly, I like the second season more. Loving the current casts and their chemistry with each other.

That scene in the latest episode where Yewon had a one-on-one singing with the coach who accompanied her with the piano, really moved me. She's grown so much just in a few months.

And coach serious never ceases to amaze me, the way he was able to pick up Jinkyung's dance part so quickly... while slowly crushing Somi's fantasy of him was just too funny :lol:  

Anyway, welcome and have fun, everyone :) 

What I love bout season 2 is that I get to know how hard it is to form a girl group. I haven't thought that it will be this hard. I used to think that the most important thing to form a girl group was only look and appearance. Season 1 and more in season 2, I get to know better and appreciate girl group more positively. Fyi, I am not really into K-Pop. I do listen to some songs but not really into their singer and what process behind those song. 

Yes, I also glad that this tread finally has some progress... @Tinkiebell

On 4/18/2017 at 9:38 PM, scone1025 . said:

Article: 5 Reasons to Watch Sister's Slam Dunk

nice article! agree with all reasons esp the top reason - friendship and the 5th - the comedy

On 4/19/2017 at 7:32 AM, scone1025 . said:

My theory came from when I was watching episode 16 from last season. around the 1h:14m mark JYP talks about how after working with the Unnies, "personally, [he] got back some things that [he] had forgotten." I think that he recognized that the business can breed cynicism but that it also make dreams. My guess is that he saw value in working with the Unnies, and wanted his friends in the business who might also have become jaded by the whole process (as we sort of saw in the early episodes), become re-energized and refreshed in their own careers. Whether that was his intention or not, I think that is what is happening.

not sure if JYP had a more direct influence in the current producer taking the helm of the show. But I think that once they decided this was the one project for all the Unnies this season, they went all-out. They were definitely not going to let themselves be embarrassed by an inferior or less marketable product thus all the coaches and resources brought in. Also may be why they were all so serious and strict in the forst few episodes esp siince they probably had preconceived ideas abt the celebs and very low expectations.

So they seemed cynical and jaded, jumping the gun in almost scolding and critiquing the ladies even before they had the chance to show what they can do after the proper preparation. There is a definite shift in their demeanors (the coaches and producer) after they saw that the ladies really were putting in the effort and they probably had watched the show by then and saw the sincerity and effort the ladies were putting in and maybe they saw how they were coming down on them ...just a guess.

I was worried in the beginning how much I can take if the coaches were going to be so critical the whole way through bec it is not fun to watch people be browbeaten on camera but thankfully  they lightened up a lot. Coach Serious the vocal teacher has loosened up a lot and become very supportive tio the point of dancing for the ladies his old Idol routine and their choreography.  The lady dance coach has been less strict abt the ladies following each move to the letter and letting the ladies pout their spin on it a bit. In the latest episode (I haven't finished weatching, it looked like there were hearts shooting out of her eyes while watching JinKyung dance while wearing her costume of blue tights and striped yellow dress and shorts.

I think all of them saw what we see in the Unnies , they are all special in their own way and as a group, they become even more . And it's the support they show each other and their humor, genuine want to do well and willingness to put themselves out there, that shine through.

Nowadays the coaches giggle and laugh almost as much as the ladies and I can't help but think that this process has been good for them. More likely to try to go around the problem or try again than just dumping the critiques in a poker face and serious voice.  Bec the ladies are outside of the usual conveyor belt manufacturing of k-pop groups, maybe it gives them a fresh outlook. Throwing shoes, yelling or constant criticism, negative feedback doesn't always mean better results, sometimes, a positive word, supportive manner works better esp with people who are there willing to make the effort anyway.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:34 AM, gutibear said:

What I love bout season 2 is that I get to know how hard it is to form a girl group. I haven't thought that it will be this hard. I used to think that the most important thing to form a girl group was only look and appearance. Season 1 and more in season 2, I get to know better and appreciate girl group more positively. Fyi, I am not really into K-Pop. I do listen to some songs but not really into their singer and what process behind those song. 

Yes, I also glad that this tread finally has some progress... @Tinkiebell

I'm not into K-pop either and so it has been a mixed bag for me. I appreciate and have been aware of the effort and work put into forming a group but am repelled by the observation that  there seems hardly any input from the performers themselves from the song to the dance to the outfit bec the final say isn't theirs. Their opinion might be asked but not sure how much weight it is given. I understand the Unnies are not the usual group so I am assuming that regular girl groups or guy groups have even less input or power. (So I'm glad that Minzy is going solo and hope her agency gives her more creative freedom) Since this type of "produced" groups aren't what I'm used to, it feels like creatively, the product isn't the group's but the production team. Even the way they sing or what emotion and how to convey it is guided or driven or maybe even dictated by the vocal producer, it is not something I'm into. These are based on my assumption that groups rarely write their own music. I could be wrong and esp not the new ones. Hope someone can tell me more if they know more...

On 4/20/2017 at 5:27 AM, Carol White said:

Omg anyone listen to the song ring ring composed by hong jin young? The mv is just too funny. Lol

nope, but do you have the links so we can check it out?

BTW that scene when Kim Sook and JJin Kyung were baffled by the vocal directions was hilarious! I could guess what orange is like but not walnut! LOL

I too am glad that the thread is getting more active. When I first left a comment there were no posts at all abt the 2nd season and no thread  for them specifically. Am glad that @scone1025 and @tdjunlimited replied and got the ball rolling from there.

The show has a lot of views on the site I watch it from abt 165,000+ views an episode compared to abt 40,000 for Running Man or was it WGM? It definitely looks like it has a lot more popularity in the international audience than in korea. Comments are that they watch the raw and then subbed and even that more than once are common. I do this too.

Hopefully going on other shows will increase awareness and ratings there.

Someone posted abt it feeling rushed since it's just been a few weeks since they were given the song but remind you that they have another song which did not have lyrics yet and they have to learn that plus a new routine.

loved how JinYoung is very nurturing and openly affectionate and supportive of all the ladies. See how much her face lit up when the producers complimented her when she did well on the recording but she doesn't realloy have a lot of individual lines. They really underestimate her esp since it must have been so hard for her to transition her style from pop to trot before and now to go nack. But I know she could bec didn't she sing that Alicia Keys song in WGM for NGM?

Also, love how they always show the ladies having a good meal ! LOL!

unfortunately the one I watched before with eng subs got taken down I think since I can't find it anymore

but this is a more complete take of the last part they showed on the latest episode

I remember  that Kim Sook ended up not showing her luggage...

I think this week was Yewon's week. She's killing it with her dancing and she has come so far from where she started with a lot of hard work. Unfortunately, even though she put in tons of work to her singing, its just too far out of her range. English subs aren't out yet for episode eleven, but it looks like they swap her and Sook's parts which couldn't have been easy for either of them. Despite being an actress she doesn't have a huge ego and agreed that it would be best for the team if someone else sang that part, or at least that's what I gleaned without subs.

The outfits they came up with were ok, except for Sook and Jin-kyung. the other five looked like they went together, but I agree that Sook's was too plain and everyday and the yellow on Jin-kyung's pants are distracting. I think they were going for the oversized trend with Sook, but it only looked slightly bigger than what she would normally wear, and not really girl-group-ish. Jin-kyung is going to be showing a lot of leg during Chae-young's part. The rest fit together though a bit generic. if they were going to color block, I would have liked them to use white instead of black since it would make the colors more vibrant. maybe this is just a first draft. Hopefully, Subs will clarify. 

PS, I found that Ring Ring song @Carol White was talking about. the song is catchy but I don't get the video. I think its supposed to be like a low budget commercial, but whats up with listening to the Melon with earbuds? Maybe it was supposed to be a joke about the MelOn music charts? or maybe just a random thing like the pogostick and dog.

• 2 weeks later...

@gutibear i only found the RAW version. I dont think there's a subbed one out there. (http://kshow123.net/show/1-vs-100/episode-480.html)

I am so sorry that i didnt come here as often as I should as I was busy elsewhere that i couldnt pay a visit here. I will get back to all the comments and replying you all. I am really hoping that even after this show ends (probably end of this month), we all still keep coming here. We are still not sure if there will be a season 3 as after this season ends, a variety-drama will be replacing the show and another drama after that.

Well everyone ready for the release of their new songs(??). I think they have both the songs released based on Somi's insta.

Let's stream and do whatever to support the girls.. A V-live is airing in the morning korea time at 11:30am.  I think the release is at noon Korea time. Let's stream the video on YT to 500k or 1 million in 1 day or stream their songs.

And of course watch the show tomorrow!! Stream it or like me, wait for the subs on monday (i have no choice as i dont understand korean)

Unnies Fighting!

I knew they were doing Right? at Music Bank and I was wondering abt the 2nd slower tempo song since it is ep 13 and there was no practice shown. They sneaked it in and I really liked the vibe of the song =D

couldn't put the link from the KBS yt page but I found this!

I watched their Right? performance and the camera work is really bad but they did well

Though Chae Young, Kin Kyung and sometimes Yewon often forgot to hold the mic in place during Lalala but it's like their encore performance after a long concert so it's all good ! LOL

Sad that it will end soon. I think this group of ladies are special individually but together they bring something warm, loving, and sincere to the table and they give each other strength. I wish that we could see more of this but maybe the ratings don't justify the cost of more episodes...

Been watching the BTS of the making of the MV, when do they release it or is it out already? Can't wait to see it!

but found this fanmade mv from footage fr their Busan trip

did they ever edit the footage to do their DIY mv? I was really looking forward to it, it looked like a funny and fun one

Archived