Is talking about major a good topic for a conversation?

Crunchyrunchy

@Crunchyrunchy as @MiDnite89 said it's what everybody talks about. That doesn't mean it's a bad topic to talk about, just something that's an obvious topic to fall back on. Like sports, the weather and politics. Never religion though. Stay as far away from religion as you can. Politics too, unless you talk about another countries politics (America's political race is quite funny at the moment I think. Unless you're from America. In that case, I feel sorry for you).

Topics to converse about depend mostly on the company. What is your relation to them? Friends, classmates, teacher, people who attend the same school, family, someone you want to impress, a potential boyfriend/girlfriend, etc.

If you want an easy topic starter: ask them about them. People loving telling you about their own lives and passions. Find out what they like (by asking) then continue with how long have they been doing that/loving that and how they got into it. That should keep them occupied for a while. 
Depending on who's on the other end of the conversation (see above) you can either go deeper into their passion (smart move with friends, classmates, teacher, someone you want to impress and boy/girlfriend) or ask them about other passions they have (the rest).

By the way: if you're set out to impress someone or talking to potential girlfriend/boyfriend, it really pays off when you have some inside knowledge about their passion. For instance, if they like football, find out what team they like and get to know the players on that team and how they performed in their last game. It will get them really excited and wont need much help to keep the conversation flowing :) 

Considering how sensitive people are these days regarding topics like religion, I personally stay far away from it. I have no problem with any religion as they all advocate love for another. I don't believe, but who am I to say my way is the right way? Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who are convinced their way is the only way and tend to become a tad defensive when asked about religion. 

I didn't like my major and my internship, so I don't want to talk about it much... However, I can understand people who are passionate in what they do or study, just like when people talk about their job... I can be interesting.

On 5/6/2016 at 5:16 AM, CamelKnight said:

Considering how sensitive people are these days regarding topics like religion, I personally stay far away from it. I have no problem with any religion as they all advocate love for another. I don't believe, but who am I to say my way is the right way? Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who are convinced their way is the only way and tend to become a tad defensive when asked about religion. 

Especially that one that says women need to get stoned to death for being raped and supports slavery and genocide and stuff.

Back on topic, Majors don't turn out to be good topics in my experience. The conversations are too short. A lot of people don't even care about other people's majors and want to talk about theirs for a minute and that's it. A few girls said that they were interested in my major, but they didn't seem to know anything about it.

Archived