[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] General And I 孤芳不自赏

sugarplum892

tumblr_ol35zn4rCt1qkcxtwo2_540.gif

tumblr_ol362kWIDy1qkcxtwo4_540.giftumblr_ol362kWIDy1qkcxtwo2_540.giftumblr_ol362kWIDy1qkcxtwo1_540.giftumblr_ol362kWIDy1qkcxtwo3_540.gif

Spoiler

Adding this article

8 things you didn't know about Angelababy and Wallace Chung's historical romance General and I

por Nancy Z em Domingo, Mar 12, 2017

4971bb6d-ddf4-48bf-94d5-b9aef8a99d60.jpg

Chu Bei Jie (Wallace Chung) and Bai Ping Ting (Angelababy) have enthralled viewers in the very popular historical romance General and I. It' time to share some interesting things about the drama and the stars. For instance, which was the best kiss scene according to the leading couple? Find out the answer and more here.

1. The original novel is based on imagined character in a fictional era.

4efabbd2-db9d-4439-97fd-8903089b116f.jpg

Although the original novel is a work of fiction, the drama's scriptwriter found a turbulent era in China's history as a suitable backdrop for the drama's adaptation. The warring kingdoms existed in actual history, although the Bai Lan State represents one of several kingdoms during that era. 

2. Author Feng Nong has published several dozens of popular romance novels. General and I is so popular that it even has an anime version.

Spoiler

8d7b3deb-3d18-48a7-a8c7-9b039169c0fc.jpg

3. Because of the huge ensemble of characters that traversed in four kingdoms with different custom and costume requirements, the production assembled a team of 700 members to take care of the many artistic details and costume designs for the historical drama.

348a72c7-1ecc-40da-86c7-798cdc7d9e31.jpg

Spoiler

841cdf1f-45c9-425f-9ea3-45438d27b910.jpg

9295d812-5402-48ac-9c89-1683b2463531.jpg

4. The entire production team consisted of over 1,200 members for the sprawling saga that required outdoor scenes in different parts of China to correspond to the four warring kingdom. The actual filming took 130 days in 2016 but the preparation started long before.

Spoiler

8c115bae-846a-49ff-b11b-707ebebc9bd5.jpgaa2112a3-bd0c-4de7-8924-b08f2d5fcb6d.jpg

5. Angelababy was pregnant while filming General and I, and she suffered fainting episodes during the filming. 

3426f09a-f959-4aba-9006-3c638c3093dc.jpg

She later recalled the fainting by saying she didn't know whether it was because of her pregnancy or the heat.

6. Summertime filming was challenging to actors who were heavy clothes for a fictional winter.

dc61b6e8-9f35-42df-9e2a-57bdd36b0d90.jpg

Often the temperature inside the studio exceeded 113 degrees Fahrenheit. It certainly wasn't easy for the pregnant Angelababy. It was also a hardship for Wallace Chung who wore layers of heavy armor and was strapped to the hanging wires for hours. Despite the heat, Wallace was such a gentleman that he gave his personal A/C to Angelababy. Many other actors also experienced fainting due to heat. 

7. Wallace Chung said their best kiss scene occurred when Chu Bei Jie lifted Bai Ping Ting up. The two leads also said the scene was the director' idea.

3ff41dfa-6a6c-4029-b1b8-3fbc8e752f1d.jpg

Angelababy's husband, actor Huang Xiaoming, came to visit when they filmed the hot kiss scene.

Can you imagine the pressure?

8. Did you realize Wallace Chung is 42 years old?

a6f87c48-0d02-4024-8a81-c8f7684a4f99.jpg

ce0ba5ad-e14a-4a03-b787-71d6988cbc21.jpg

If you haven't had a chance to watch the gripping hit drama, now it' a great time to join the leading couple to embark on their journey toward a happy ending!

Dramafever

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally i watch the last 2 ep with the subtitle, and can accept the ending although i expect more...at least their country name,what happen to all comrade that pledge alliance with bei jie,and lastly their little family scene with chang xiao...what ever it is...it still acceptable because both bei jie and ping ting become king and queen...while lady 13 leave for good cause she knew very well she'll never get bei jie love although pingting persuade her to stay.

What i love about this drama is how two different people overcome their differences and obstacle to achieve happiness and how deep their trust for each other make them formidable...i wonder if i will come across with this kind of love story with smart,wise and empathy for other people make them change the world...how powerful love can make a difference...oh i love intelligent leads which compatible with each other rather than naive and spoil rich guy love story.

I watched the final two episodes last night. I was disappointed at the ending and now I can understand why many posters were suggesting an additional episode.  I would have like to see all of the stories tied up, but that did not happen. Having said that, I loved this drama, everyone, did an awesome job.  The writer, director, costume designers, stage builders, and actors all worked hard to bring us a fantastic drama.  Kudos to all!  

I felt a little sorry for He Xia at the end.  His whole world changed because of his father committing suicide so that he would revenge his death and go after Chu Bei Jie.  HX loved PT; he knew she loved CBJ; however, until PT was willing to sacrifice her life for CBJ; did he realize how deep the love his wife, YT had for him and that is when he pushed BT back saving her life.  This drama showed us the love between a man and woman and it showed us how being blinded by revenge that keep us from seeing and accepting those that love us.  Being blinded by greed, and revenge can ultimately cause our death.  

Great Drama,  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8H-qJgrUXavLzLhitex3hqdefault.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGg-cBWDJsy3l6777H-Tx

Maybe it's me but no matter how many episodes they could have or should have added I for one still would have been left wanting more...  I mean just look at them who wouldn't????:wub::rolleyes::w00t:

On 2/17/2017 at 2:05 AM, USAFarmgirl said:

Maybe it's me but no matter how many episodes they could have or should have added I for one still would have been left wanting more...  I mean just look at them who wouldn't????:wub::rolleyes::w00t:

@USAFarmgirl you can count me in . Our otp so sweet tender hot loving left me craving for more, more and more!!!! :tongue:

I just got started on this because you know, Angelababy. I had my doubts but surprisingly she's not bothering me. Either she's improved or BPT fits her and isn't that challenging to play? Wallace is Wallace, so great as usual. He's totally bringing CBJ to life from the image I had in the book.

But I will say, having read the novel, why did they change so much from it? They totally removed the first meetings in the book, which was the best part! They also changed how He Xia's dad died and I'm kind of mad about that too cause the reason in the book was pretty complicated and intricate. They simplified it too much here.

So book fans, are there any other major changes and if so, does it ruin the drama? I want to keep going because Wallace and Angelababy have some great chemistry going on but the first meetings... Can't believe they changed such a classic part.

• 4 months later...
On 11/01/2017 at 9:19 AM, faythe said:

I love Wallace and all his love line works for me mainly because of him. He made it worked. In terms of chemistry with leading ladies, they are all the same. None are more amazing than the others. I watched Sunshine for purely Wallace. He made the character so likeable. His leading lady, the acting and the character, was so bland that if it wasn't for Wallace, I would have dropped that drama on 1st ep. Honestly, I thought the actress played the younger self was so much better. But too bad she was too young to play against Wallace. I'm still waiting for Wallace to act opposite a good actress so he didn't have to do most of the work.

Absolutely agree with you! Tiffany seemed so awkward with Wallace. I have to say the same about Janice Chang in  Best Times  too.....Poor Wallace.

22 hours ago, hyall said:

I have been thinking about watching this but the negative reviews about angelababy is making me hesitate.

It depends.....I know someone who simply can't stand her so will not give the show a chance. I have only seen AB in a movie, Rise of The Legend with Eddie Peng. She was ok....iIn this drama, however, she's quite good. Of course, one can't compare her to other actresses like Liu Shi Shi or Zhao Li Ying....She has fantastic chemistry with Wallace Chung here. He is amazing!!! I have seen him in quite a few dramas and all his leading ladies were hopeless! This is the best so far. I have to confess, I have watched this drama several times! I just skipped to my favourite parts with Wallace and Angelababy. I'm only watching it for Wallace :-)

@hyall I thought Angela was fine. Great in crying scenes. She copped a lot of flak in the early episodes for being passionless which is what she was supposed to be anyway. But there's no denying that she and Wallace had great chemistry. 

The romance was the best part of the show for me. In the end I hung on because of the OTP romance. The other male lead's arc just didn't do it for me. The ending was a bit meh.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently on episode 59, when they reunite with Zui Ju and finally know she wasn't killed. I really thought they would show more of Moran & Zui Ju, after all they did pan into his (heartbreak) reaction when Fan Lu & Zui Ju were joking/flirting and then him calling her mentor father in law. But nothing is mentioned and I'm just thinking if they ran out of budget to create a side story of this love triangle? Or Was it like this also in the novel? 

Also kind of bothering me that they didn't question why he kept ZuiJu for so long and just accepted his allegiance.. also the fact, that he caused those heart wrenching episodes of a fake death .. which seems like production spent $$$$$ for lol

Oh I am sooo late in watchin' this but better late than never right?? I think I only started tuning in like ep.40-ish onwards LoL(?) I found the battle scenes tedious & kind of exhausting but hey the costumes that both Angela, Wallace wore were gorgeous! I just love how Wallace looks at Angela in all their scenes...so dreamy... *sigh* And of course when it comes to kiss scenes, Wallace never fails to deliver:D

• 1 month later...

I'm so late to spazz in this thread but after done watching the entire 62 episodes.. I am rewatching it in a heartbeat.. it's too beautiful.. elegant and deep and although they used many CGI.. the visual is mesmerizing and such feast to the eyes.. not to mention the soundtracks..

overall this drama is the best Chinese drama I watched so far and it is so amazing to know how two awesome actors like Wallace and Angela can have such a deep chemistry while both are married in real life... 

Chu Bei Jie and Bai Ping Ting is a love story at its purest....

• 1 month later...

While watching The King's Woman, I was really unsatisfied with the fighting scenes and have to watched General and I again to see how fight scenes should be done that impressed me.  I will say this drama has the most compelling love storyline that made me fall in love with it plus great chemistry between Wallace Chung and Angelababy.  Yes, I did tried to watch other Wallace's dramas like Best Time and My Sunshine but those were too boring for me to continue and as others said his co-stars don't have chemistry with him.  I will say this drama is one of the best this year in terms of the overall production including performance and script.

Though I have read the novel but I still prefer the drama more. :D

On 8/8/2017 at 4:30 PM, musicalflow. said:

Currently on episode 59, when they reunite with Zui Ju and finally know she wasn't killed. I really thought they would show more of Moran & Zui Ju, after all they did pan into his (heartbreak) reaction when Fan Lu & Zui Ju were joking/flirting and then him calling her mentor father in law. But nothing is mentioned and I'm just thinking if they ran out of budget to create a side story of this love triangle? Or Was it like this also in the novel? 

Also kind of bothering me that they didn't question why he kept ZuiJu for so long and just accepted his allegiance.. also the fact, that he caused those heart wrenching episodes of a fake death .. which seems like production spent $$$$$ for lol

I'm late to this thread (I just read the novel and watched the drama), but its' b/c their love story subplot goes like this in the novel.

The whole motivation for him not letting her go wasn't explained well in the drama, but basically, he was a military spy loyal to the councilor, who opposed Hexia, and the councilor wanted him to kill BPT before CBJ or HX could find her. The councilor told FL that BPT always wore the white jade hairstick, so that was why FL thought ZJ was BPT at first, but later he realized that it wasn't the case. But because he'd already told the councilor he killed BPT (that's why he was given the castle to rule) and he didn't want his lies to come out, he kept ZJ. (And also because he was attracted to her as well)

(He didn't kill ZJ even though he was instructed to do so because he thought she was pretty, so he left the hairpin w/ a dead body eaten by wolves so that everyone would assume BPT died. And it's this trickery that caused a lot of heartache, but it also made BPT's enemies stop searching for her.)

Archived