[Current 2016 Drama] My Amazing Boyfriend (我的奇妙男友)

tompark

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, lizzieyen said:

I think there are parts in ep 23 where the acting range is a bit beyond Kim Tae Hwan - i believe he is meant to emote a little more as the camera rests on him but he is not quite there yet. Fortunately, he controls his body well so he is able to look dejected through his body movements!

I also find some of his acting performances still a little bit lacking but those were tolerable and overall he did pretty well for his acting debut. I'm looking forward for his comeback on screen and hope he improve his acting skill so when season 2 came out we'll be able to see more solid XLC character.

Agree about them resolving the problem together - I mean he just wants to be able to die right? LOL. So I guess the issue is how to ensure that he can age and die naturally.... The elixir of immortality is generally harder to achieve than the reverse one would have thought!

Yeah, he just want to be a normal human again - age and die naturally~ kkkkk. If the cure will be elixir of immorality I wonder what from it'll be made. I just hope the writer can make a good theory about that~ OR maybe the ending is they become immortal :blink:. Well, the most important thing is happy ending - they together - not one of them have to die and leave the other one. If it'll be sad ending I think I'll be in rage! XD

Is Sehun very popular? I am not a k-drama fan and am relatively new to c-drama. Wu Qian really impressed me though and I am actually trying to watch another show she is in (A Scholar Dream Of Woman) as a second lead - anybody seen that? I am not a fan of Zhang Meng but I liked Han Dong from Cuo Dian Yuan Yang so will give it a try (its Republican without subs so I am not sure if my Mandarin is good enough and it looks potentially tragic/weepy from the stills!) Everyone tells me to try My Sunshine but I really do not like Tang Yan and Wallace Chung looks too much like a dude I know to watch any show objectively!. 

Yes, he's very popular. He's an idol actually and is a part of boyband EXO. EXO is super popular worldwide. Their fans range of age are wide, from early teens until adult. As far as I know Catman is his acting debut.
I also impressed with Wu Qian, her acting is great and she's cute. I want to watch her previous drama but after I read her previous dramas plot and the number of episodes, I think those are not for me. hehe. But I'll check Catman for sure.
Majority of dramas I've watched were korean drama and I have not watched c-dramas you mentioned above, so I don't know.. hehe. To some extent I also choose what drama I'll watch subjectively :P

Anybody here who has read the book "My Wonderful Boyfriend"? Maybe we can get some color there. I wonder if there is indeed a connection between XLC and TJZ which spans centuries and that would be covered in the sequel. When he got sick in the Ming(?) dynasty, his engagement was broken off - wonder if that girl was TJZ in an earlier re-incarnation and her not marrying him resulted in her years of bad luck one incarnation after another! 

Yeah! that makes so much sense! in the description of  the drama it's mentioned "their fates have been entangled by a conspiracy that spans many centuries". I'm so curious what is that conspiracy and how's the story-line. I wish I could read the book! ㅜㅜ

4 hours ago, lizzieyen said:

Am also having withdrawal - any other light hearted c-dramas anyone can recommend? Breezy but not stupid. 

I guess you're not interested with korean drama? haha. c-drama/t-drama I remember is Just You. In my opinion it's quiet delightful.

4 hours ago, sshu1yah said:

I'm about to start this drama! 

Has it been completely aired yet? 

Yes, it has been completely aired. And there will be season 2 in 2017.

4 hours ago, sshu1yah said:

I'm about to start this drama! 

Has it been completely aired yet? 

Until Ep.15  at Viki

18 minutes ago, OO1230 said:

Yeah! that makes so much sense! in the description of  the drama it's mentioned "their fates have been entangled by a conspiracy that spans many centuries". I'm so curious what is that conspiracy and how's the story-line. I wish I

4 hours ago, lizzieyen said:

Anybody here who has read the book "My Wonderful Boyfriend"? Maybe we can get some color there. I wonder if there is indeed a connection between XLC and TJZ which spans centuries and that would be covered in the sequel. When he got sick in the Ming(?) dynasty, his engagement was broken off - wonder if that girl was TJZ in an earlier re-incarnation and her not marrying him resulted in her years of bad luck one 

@lizzieyen @OO1230 i appologize to cut your post......Me too wonder about their link history in their centuries past........Perhaps season 2 will be explain it,but must be wait patiently until 2017:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:.All of you thank you for share everything about this drama

Spoiler

so i saw the whole show...thanks to drama fever.....the ending is so confusing.....like will they ever see each other again....and she's immortal and he can still feel her from far away....i hope they would have e a big kissing scene in the end i guess after the bed scene no more :( and the imaginary kiss too

i also made gifs :) you can use if you want just credit :)http://nammminn.tumblr.com/tagged/my-wonderful-boyfriend

Subbed until ep 28 now on hdfree.se. !!

@nammminn  Yes, they will see each other again! XLC probably spent 3 months being miserable :) He was miserable even after 2/3 days apart. When he moved out the first time to FDD's place, he was making TJZ fav food for FDD and he purposely did not want to find the person in the photograph to enable  him to stay longer around her. The second time he left (After giving blood to LYZ), he went back a few times to her house (albeit a little stalker-ish) just to see her from a far. 3 months?? He would be miserable. He is the fairly jealous kind too (he is after all from the Ming Dynasty!!) and you can see his discomfort with her affection for LYZ (many times), how angry he got with the internet picture of her holding hands with some random dude (when she left him for an overseas trip) and literally warning her to not get another boyfriend so quickly after him. He is quite happy doing things for her (without her knowing) like catching that fish to put into her little jar just to make her happy - quite consistent with his character that he wants her to be happy and letting her go because he cant give it to her (again, Ming Dynasty dude so his thinking is not so 21st century!!).Of course that should all change if she is indeed preggers :)

@OO1230 thanks for the explanation! EXO is a korean boy band right where the members all look fair and young? like Yang Yang? Dont quite understand my appeal myself :) And yes, happy ending please for Season 2 - even if its subtle. For me, love means having loved and been loved - but a full blown kissy Hollywood happy ending is always a plus :) 

I am watching Back to 1989 now, a T-drama and its pretty good. Subbed as well and the lead actor is eye candy who can act. Yay! However, its only 1 episode a week so another light hearted drama would be fab! 

4 hours ago, raewonkim said:

I really hate open ending. I didn't like the ending. I guess I wasted my time for the 28 episodes. I didn't get any reward in watching it. 

Me too, I felt cheated of a happy ending, why couldn't they be togther, or at least make it clear if she is pregnant or not, or why she could self heal, was it because she had so much of his blood in such a short amount of time, or because he was in love with her so each time he gave her healing blood it had an extra enzyme boosting factor. there's so many questions to ask and I need answers.  they still have the heart connection, he can feel her pain from a slight cut 100's of miles away. I don't understand, he loves her she loves him, she even kidnapped Oceanic holding him hostage in hope that Xue will come back to her.....so frustrating

On 5/16/2016 at 0:28 PM, Carin UM said:

Until Ep.15  at Viki

@lizzieyen @OO1230 i appologize to cut your post......Me too wonder about their link history in their centuries past........Perhaps season 2 will be explain it,but must be wait patiently until 2017:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:.All of you thank you for share everything about this drama

Oh please please, I really  hope there is a season two, and also I need answers, the description of the whole premise is that they have a connection that spans centuries and that TJZ granfather is a well known.....what exactly is her grandfather famous for? also why is her blood so magical in reviving him? 

I think that during his wondering days during the Ming dynasty , he met TJZ, but was never able to be with her.  He mentioned that he has never fallen in love  and that he missed having the warmth of having a family and lve ones to cherish.  I believe that he left her for her own good, believing that he can only cause her more pain and trouble if he sticks around, and that laying low living in the mountains with less chance of exposing his mutant immortal self.  I really hope that someone who has read the book and if us an insight into how they met in the past and what kind of future do they have and will ther be any little Xue's running around.  over all I enjoyed this drama, had a little of every genre.

Heul!!! I was lost on the ending. Was she actually pregnant? She mentioned something about the chances that she might be carrying baby monster during their trip in the woods, so does that mean something happened to them in episode 20? Too many questions unanswered. And what's with season 2 in 2017? That's way too long to wait. 

The sypnosis of the story doesn't even makes sense, I was expecting they'll atleast show a preview that the two of them were actually fated lovers some 500 years ago. However, due to the situation of xue becoming immortal he had dejected the marriage which was arranged by their families. I was expecting she was supposed to be his bride in the past. Ok enough ranting....

It might take sometime to find another interesting C-drama to watch except otherwise someone would refer a good one. I found Marry Me or Not cute and romantic. The kisses are real and makes you feel giddy for some reason. 

Kudos to Taewan on his acting debut though I find some of his acting awkward well what do we expect he is originally trained to take the catwalk. I just wish on season 2 he'll gain a bit weight  as it seems that his waist is smaller than wu qan in this season lol

End of rant :)

I totally agree with both  @gregandchau_at_gmail.com_stv  and  @kathy_21

IKR.. 2017 is toooooo long for me..LOL

I hate the fact that they had an opening ending. I was thinking the same thing about their connection in the past life time. I was trying to connect the dots. For SURE they left out A LOT of open  and  un-answer plot holes to the story line.  I wanted the PD to show that they did cross path in the past but was just never meant to be till now. And what was so famous about TJZ grandparents?

I am guessing that TJZ is prego because her friend just gave us the clue... I am guessing she is 3 months since Xue left. I think one of the reasons why TJZ was able to heal on her own (NOW vs. when she cut her palm and tried to save Xu) is because she is prego and with the baby growing it gives them both a stronger bonding or connection. After all the baby or babies is growing since he/she is carrying his daddy genes...  I would like to leave it as "babies" since Xue is VERY strong and maybe... maybe you  know what is also strong to create babies...LOL

Kathy_21 : Jumping subject: I liked “Marry Me or Not” the main couple was adorable and love their chemistry. Their kisses are so romantic with feelings vs. the solid face and only lip movement type.  

Hopefully the synopsis of the drama is correct. Sometimes there could be error is translation and there maybe no centuries linkage at all! :( hope not. It would be good if anyone who has read the book can share! 

Finally watched subbed till ep 28!! Yay!

really, thanks again to @lizzieyen for the link, otherwise I'd still be waiting on viki and it was already killing me to wait for ep 22-28 to get subbed! LOL!

But it sure did clarify things a lot and left a loot of questions as well. But now that we know there will be a season 2 (Yay!!), I'm ok with that. But definitely not ok with 2017!!! Boo!!!! Ok, I'll try to be mature and think that the actors probably have booked their schedules...

Was this a web drama or was this shown on regular network? I wonder if season 2 was planned all along or if the popularity (I'm assuming it is very popular) has led to this. 30 episodes seems ok, I'd even go for longer bec there are a lot they haven't covered and if there is a baby and I'm almost certain there is, then there will be even more danger and risk to come so lots of story for a season.

Like others.I have been curious abt the grandfather. I actually thought her mother was also an actress? Also wondered what her parents did bec they seem too young to be retired and yet seem to just stay home...

Spoiler

Unlike the others, though I am disappointed that they weren't together at the end, now that I've seen the subs, it makes sense  and I'm ok with it. It was actually nicely done bec what we do know at the end is that both sides know that they love each other. There are no doubts in TJZ's mind that XLQ loves her even if he has never said the words. In fact she's the one who has said it, something like "you stayed bec you love me so much" and he didn't refute her. They also were on the same page abt their relationship, that it was better, or at least, safer, to be apart.

But XLQ leaving his jade heirloom and deed to his villa might have given TJZ false hope and led to her thinking he'll change his mind and come back. But I think he left them to show her how important she is to him bec he couldn't quite say the words. If he ever did say it, knowing TJZ's character, then all bets are off and she'll never allow for separation.

I didn't really catch that they had this centuries-old link and honestly, don't really care that much as it didn't impact the story as how it stands. And I like that he lived 500 years and never loved a woman until he met her. Like she said in one of the episodes, she felt sorry that he's been alone all this time but happy that he lived long enough so they could meet. They didn't an old connection, I think the connection they made now is intense enough and has enough depth without adding that to the story. And it might even make it too complicated.

Now that I understood what was happening, I realize that the last episodes were like an extended goodbye. I actually have been playing with diff scenarios in my head before the subs were out and I couldn't really make their relationship work bec we know that maybe long term drinking of his blood doesn't really work, the bad guy needed more and more after a while. They didn't really explain why and what illness caused it when the blood is supposed to cure everything. It was implied I think that it was some sort of divine punishment, or karma. But anyway, maybe even with TJZ drinking his blood once in a while won't keep her alive for long, and regular drinking of it didn't turn the bad guy into a mutant like XLQ. Living together with TJZ a regular mortal and XLQ an immortal leads to her being old and him still young, and the challenges of hiding his never-aging identity, putting both of them in danger. So before the subs were out, logically, they couldn't stay together.  

The baby now makes it interesting if it changes TJZ and turns her into a mutant like him. But is it temporary? only until the baby is born? Now that leads to more challenges. He will definitely have to come back, come clean to her parents and add a doctor to their posse. They actually have the ingredients to their team - a tech savvy Dong Dong, a cop who can clue them and help abt legalities etc, a researcher who can keep studying his blood (although that's very dangerous), a rich actress who can give financial and emotional support and maybe redirect attention, and parents who are supportive and quite liberal-minded LOL. All  they need is an OB-GYN, if she is indeed pregnant and not belatedly turned mutant. But she still eats solids so she can't have turned right?

I wonder if the subs were accurate when they mentioned abt rubrospinal? bec that isn't something you can transplant! LOL

maybe it will be january 2017!!! that's at least more tolerable than summer or fall 2017!!

10 hours ago, cdcotr said:

Finally watched subbed till ep 28!! Yay!

really, thanks again to @lizzieyen for the link, otherwise I'd still be waiting on viki and it was already killing me to wait for ep 22-28 to get subbed! LOL!

But it sure did clarify things a lot and left a loot of questions as well. But now that we know there will be a season 2 (Yay!!), I'm ok with that. But definitely not ok with 2017!!! Boo!!!! Ok, I'll try to be mature and think that the actors probably have booked their schedules...

Was this a web drama or was this shown on regular network? I wonder if season 2 was planned all along or if the popularity (I'm assuming it is very popular) has led to this. 30 episodes seems ok, I'd even go for longer bec there are a lot they haven't covered and if there is a baby and I'm almost certain there is, then there will be even more danger and risk to come so lots of story for a season.

Like others.I have been curious abt the grandfather. I actually thought her mother was also an actress? Also wondered what her parents did bec they seem too young to be retired and yet seem to just stay home...

Hide contents

Unlike the others, though I am disappointed that they weren't together at the end, now that I've seen the subs, it makes sense  and I'm ok with it. It was actually nicely done bec what we do know at the end is that both sides know that they love each other. There are no doubts in TJZ's mind that XLQ loves her even if he has never said the words. In fact she's the one who has said it, something like "you stayed bec you love me so much" and he didn't refute her. They also were on the same page abt their relationship, that it was better, or at least, safer, to be apart.

But XLQ leaving his jade heirloom and deed to his villa might have given TJZ false hope and led to her thinking he'll change his mind and come back. But I think he left them to show her how important she is to him bec he couldn't quite say the words. If he ever did say it, knowing TJZ's character, then all bets are off and she'll never allow for separation.

I didn't really catch that they had this centuries-old link and honestly, don't really care that much as it didn't impact the story as how it stands. And I like that he lived 500 years and never loved a woman until he met her. Like she said in one of the episodes, she felt sorry that he's been alone all this time but happy that he lived long enough so they could meet. They didn't an old connection, I think the connection they made now is intense enough and has enough depth without adding that to the story. And it might even make it too complicated.

Now that I understood what was happening, I realize that the last episodes were like an extended goodbye. I actually have been playing with diff scenarios in my head before the subs were out and I couldn't really make their relationship work bec we know that maybe long term drinking of his blood doesn't really work, the bad guy needed more and more after a while. They didn't really explain why and what illness caused it when the blood is supposed to cure everything. It was implied I think that it was some sort of divine punishment, or karma. But anyway, maybe even with TJZ drinking his blood once in a while won't keep her alive for long, and regular drinking of it didn't turn the bad guy into a mutant like XLQ. Living together with TJZ a regular mortal and XLQ an immortal leads to her being old and him still young, and the challenges of hiding his never-aging identity, putting both of them in danger. So before the subs were out, logically, they couldn't stay together.  

The baby now makes it interesting if it changes TJZ and turns her into a mutant like him. But is it temporary? only until the baby is born? Now that leads to more challenges. He will definitely have to come back, come clean to her parents and add a doctor to their posse. They actually have the ingredients to their team - a tech savvy Dong Dong, a cop who can clue them and help abt legalities etc, a researcher who can keep studying his blood (although that's very dangerous), a rich actress who can give financial and emotional support and maybe redirect attention, and parents who are supportive and quite liberal-minded LOL. All  they need is an OB-GYN, if she is indeed pregnant and not belatedly turned mutant. But she still eats solids so she can't have turned right?

I wonder if the subs were accurate when they mentioned abt rubrospinal? bec that isn't something you can transplant! LOL

maybe it will be january 2017!!! that's at least more tolerable than summer or fall 2017!!

@cdcotr   No problems! Glad you enjoyed it! I agree with you - I was okay with the ending too in fact, one of the reasons I like c-dramas is that they are not too overly unrealistic (of course got to pick the right c-drama as otherwise it can just be outright depressing!) - he is after all an immortal and she a mere mortal. Getting together immediately (although would be a Hollywood happy ever after and I would love that too) after the HSG episode would be a tad unreal esp considering how worried XLC was about her safety. I thought it was sweet that despite what her friends said, he went ahead to see HSG knowing full well it was a trap and willingly had his blood drained without being sure whether Professor Li had turned sides and would save him. If they are to be together, would definitely need a solution to his non aging self as pretending not he is normal ain't not gonna work. Agree with your thoughts that her drinking his blood continuously will not give her eternal life as well (point in case, HSG)

BTW, i have been been listening to the OST too and must say that the songs are pretty nice !  

Oh yeah, the centuries connection was in the synopsis of the drama but am not sure if that is accurate or just mis translation because there is no hint of it in the drama (.hence the Rampant speculation above!) so was wondering if anyone here has read the book and can kindly illuminate the rest ! 

Definitely having drama withdrawal now. :) what shall we watch next??? 

4 hours ago, angel318 said:

Is it bad that I come back and check every now and then to see if anyone who read the book can spill some beans about season 2 possibly? I'm having bad withdrawal lol xD

You are not alone :) 

Finally had time to watch the XLC/TJZ bits with eng subs ep 22-28. Love the show. Things I really like about this show:-

1. The running joke that XLC is an awful cook - probably coz he only drinks juices and doesnt eat solids so has no sense of taste!

2. XLC doing all the day-to-day things for TJZ (cooking, cleaning, ironing) - even when he wanted to find bodyguards for her, he also wanted to find her maid service! Being a married woman, the best indication of love is when your man does all the household chores for you!! All the other stuff, not so important!!!! :)

3. All the little nuggets in the show. XLC only discovered HSL from the Hong Companies video which TJZ posted on her weibo - shows that he only ever checks her weibo and not even Xuan Xuan's. Ties in nicely to that time when he was crashing at FDD's place and surreptiously checking on TJZ via her weibo posts. 

4. TJZ saving XLC in ep 28 - what a plucky heroine. She despairs a little but then she gets on with it. Go girl!! We can only do the best we can and she is not really the typical damsel-in-distress.

In Season 2, please someone style XLC differently - let him slick his hair ala Republican era and wear suits. He looks waaaay better that way! 

Archived