[Drama 2016] Beautiful Mind 뷰티풀 마인드

Prettysup

The Fangirls Kdrama Roundtable – Unexpected Chemistry
ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2016 BY AMBERKMUSEIN THE FANGIRLS KDRAMA ROUNDTABLE

Full blog post here

3. Beautiful Mind – Jang Hyuk (Lee Yeong Oh) & Park So Dam (Gye Jin Sung) SQUEEEE!  I love this OTP so much.  Their awesomeness overcomes age, acting style, and episode cuts, to become one of my favorite couples of the year.  This still blows my mind since I didn’t have high hopes when I heard of their casting.  It is truly the best surprise of the year.

1a1010.png?w=640

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Prettysup said:

The Fangirls Kdrama Roundtable – Unexpected Chemistry
ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2016 BY AMBERKMUSEIN THE FANGIRLS KDRAMA ROUNDTABLE

Full blog post here

3. Beautiful Mind – Jang Hyuk (Lee Yeong Oh) & Park So Dam (Gye Jin Sung) SQUEEEE!  I love this OTP so much.  Their awesomeness overcomes age, acting style, and episode cuts, to become one of my favorite couples of the year.  This still blows my mind since I didn’t have high hopes when I heard of their casting.  It is truly the best surprise of the year.

Fun blog post. Really enjoyed it. They had me with the SQUEEEE! :)  Loved the whole post.  I also had the same reaction the blog did to Signal. What if? So thanks for sharing. Still miss BM. Can't believe cast and crew have still not been paid. Despicable.

Beautiful Mind actors yet to recieve payment: Production company points fingers at KBS

September 21, 2016 16:42 SGT
By Gungeet Kaur

Mystery drama, Beautiful Mind is over, however, the cast is still waiting to equalize their bank balances. As per media reports, broadcasting channel KBS is delaying their emolument which in turn is pushing back the actor's payments.

On 20 September, the production house of the drama affirmed to have paid the dues of first eight episodes, but are waiting for the channel's compensation to adjust the following six telecasts. A representative from Raemongraein told OSEN: "Because the drama aired before we signed a contract with KBS, we disbursed what payment we could to the actors and staff. We have disbursed payments for the first eight episodes, and we have yet to make payments for the remaining six episodes."

However, the official clarified the company's intention to disburse the payment once negotiations with KBS is over. Giving out further details into the contract, the staffer added: "The production company paid 70% of the production expense. But we have not received a single Won (₩) from KBS. We are currently negotiating with KBS regarding the contract. Once the contract is drawn up, then we will definitely disburse the remaining payments."

South Korean television series, Beautiful Mind, starring Jang Hyuk, Park So-dam, Yoon Hyun-min and Park Se-Young aired its last episode on 2 August.

imgbeautiful-mind.jpg

Source  : http://www.ibtimes.sg/beautiful-mind-actors-yet-recieve-payment-production-company-points-fingers-kbs-3419

2 hours ago, ihyw said:

It's nice to see Jang Hyuk still remembering the details of filming his character Lee Young Oh. Hopefully the entire cast has noticed how so many adored their project so much and will remember it for a long time. I know I will.

I have not yet decided if I should wait on rewatching all of BM or wait a little longer. You don't want to treat it like a casual favorite shirt, that you wear out and find it less appealing just because you wear it so often. But at the same time I don't want to treat it like a formal dress, something you love so much and think it's so wonderful, that you can't get yourself to only wear it once or twice, because you think it's too nice to be worn more often.

2 hours ago, juliacaesar said:

It's nice to see Jang Hyuk still remembering the details of filming his character Lee Young Oh. Hopefully the entire cast has noticed how so many adored their project so much and will remember it for a long time. I know I will.

I have not yet decided if I should wait on rewatching all of BM or wait a little longer. You don't want to treat it like a casual favorite shirt, that you wear out and find it less appealing just because you wear it so often. But at the same time I don't want to treat it like a formal dress, something you love so much and think it's so wonderful, that you can't get yourself to only wear it once or twice, because you think it's too nice to be worn more often.

Great analogy, and I think I know what you mean about the choice to rewatch.   I still feel too sad about the episode cuts although they did a beautiful job ending the drama.

Was very happy to see Nurse Jang/Ha Jae-Sook suddenly show up as the heroine's old friend in On The Way To The Airport. Glad the BM cast is getting work. Especially if KBS still hasn't paid them.

43 minutes ago, ihyw said:

Great analogy, and I think I know what you mean about the choice to rewatch.   I still feel too sad about the episode cuts although they did a beautiful job ending the drama.

Was very happy to see Nurse Jang/Ha Jae-Sook suddenly show up as the heroine's old friend in On The Way To The Airport. Glad the BM cast is getting work. Especially if KBS still hasn't paid them.

Lol I made a few wording errors in my comparison there, but I'm glad you still know what I mean.

Ha Jae Sook is also in the movie Run-Off airing in cinemas right now, where Park So Dam also stars with a minor role. So Beautiful Mind would be the 2nd project they have together. But you have stopped by the PSD thread, so maybe you know. I do wonder if they talked with each other much when filming either project. I can't really recall the two of them having a scene together in BM... 

Gosh, I'd certainly like to know the reason for them not recieving their salary. Might it be something that could happen if a drama gets a sudden change in episodes?

@Prettysup I wanted to vent out. That KDA awards that's like real awards right?  cos I'm shock JH wasn't even nominated.

I saw an article  about Korean Drama Awards  I have to LOL. at that. Ratings awards! Jang Hyuk impressive exceptional wonderful acting  wasn't even recognized.. I can only shake my head. JH  acting and his role is 100 times better than SJK and role in DoTS. Even's Seo In Guk's funny excellent performance in PU38 is way better! and then I saw an An Jae Hyun as grand actor nominee for Cindy and 4 knights.. srsly! fan are the ones nominating them right? so  hence the winners.. oh well. Okay done with the vent.

Please tag me for new JH drama if ever.. thanks.

4 hours ago, jongski said:

@Prettysup I wanted to vent out. That KDA awards that's like real awards right?  cos I'm shock JH wasn't even nominated.

I saw an article  about Korean Drama Awards  I have to LOL. at that. Ratings awards! Jang Hyuk impressive exceptional wonderful acting  wasn't even recognized.. I can only shake my head. JH  acting and his role is 100 times better than SJK and role in DoTS. Even's Seo In Guk's funny excellent performance in PU38 is way better! and then I saw an An Jae Hyun as grand actor nominee for Cindy and 4 knights.. srsly! fan are the ones nominating them right? so  hence the winners.. oh well. Okay done with the vent.

Please tag me for new JH drama if ever.. thanks.

I agree 100% with you. It's sad to see that they treat the excellence actor/actress awards like a popularity award. I feel like a drama with not much popularity but with much acting skills are always being ignored. 

Do tag me as well for any new JH drama, or even a new drama with Yoon Hyun Min for that matter! I'll probably know already if Park So Dam stars in a new drama already, but feel free to tag away when the forum thread is created.

And after I made that post about people not appreciating hidden gems...

I am so happy so see that the screenwriter from BM - Kim Tae Hee - was nominated for the 2016 Korea Drama Awards! Unfortunately, she did not won. Hopefully we can see another drama from the same writer in the future.

sources:
https://in.news.yahoo.com/korea-drama-awards-2016-where-034831333.html
http://www.soompi.com/2016/10/07/winners-2016-korea-drama-awards-revealed/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone...

I just joined soompi today because I found myself really interested in replying to some other threads.

But I feel like my first post on soompi should be put in here, because it was Beautiful Mind that brought me to soompi. I found this thread to be entertaining and enlightening at the same time. I read some beautiful, insightful, and funny posts and blogs through this thread. I got to know how deep ones can invest in creating something, and be satisfied with it, regardless of whether people took notice and appreciate it or not. At some points, the discussion went so deep, I was so enthralled and began to appreciate life more haha

All in all, BM was one of my favorite kdrama ever. And everybody in this thread just made it even better.

See you around in another thread, chingu!

16 hours ago, gwkzz said:

Hello everyone...

I just joined soompi today because I found myself really interested in replying to some other threads.

But I feel like my first post on soompi should be put in here, because it was Beautiful Mind that brought me to soompi. I found this thread to be entertaining and enlightening at the same time. I read some beautiful, insightful, and funny posts and blogs through this thread. I got to know how deep ones can invest in creating something, and be satisfied with it, regardless of whether people took notice and appreciate it or not. At some points, the discussion went so deep, I was so enthralled and began to appreciate life more haha

All in all, BM was one of my favorite kdrama ever. And everybody in this thread just made it even better.

See you around in another thread, chingu!

Hello, thanks for dedicating your first soompi post here, glad to see another new user lured to delurk due to this beautiful drama. It may have ended but it is still staying deeply in our hearts :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some Dramabeans Year End Review that involve BM

2016 Year in Review, Part 5: Sunbae minions weigh in

by DB Staff | December 22, 2016 | 48 Comments

Beautiful Mind

gummi_bm1a.jpg

Given its many pre-production woes, I came into Beautiful Mind with a great deal of hesitance. Because when one actor after another turns down a role, you can’t help but wonder if there might be something about the production that’s keeping everyone away. But to the show’s fortune, perhaps everybody was waiting for the right actor to step into the lead role. Enter Jang Hyuk.

Even when I think about it now, I can’t imagine anyone else more suited to portray a brilliant neurosurgeon whom no one could truly understand. Unlike the many genius doctors we’ve seen in so many other medical dramas, Young-oh’s standoffish demeanor had an origin story that masterfully unfolded as each episode passed. Despite his attempts to mask the fact that he learned to analyze emotion through rote memorization, there existed an emotional distance in all of his relationships that he’d never be able to fully comprehend on his own.

Young-oh was a completely fascinating character on his own, but Jin-sung was the right bit of fresh air he needed (even if his ongoing difficulties eclipsed her aspirations to become more than just a traffic cop). I loved watching them together as they learned from one another and battled the many obstacles within the hospital. While I was mainly uninterested in the hospital politics, I did like the various medical cases Young-oh was faced with, if only to see the way his methodical mind would dissect the problems presented to him.

I can’t say everything was perfect, of course; it saddened me to see some talent being wasted, namely Yoon Hyun-min. The writing never really did figure out a way to make him a real contender for Jin-sung’s heart, and sadly, his character was swept up into the less interesting hospital bureaucracy. My heart broke at the news of the episode cutdown, but that only made me savor the small yet significant steps Young-oh would make toward human connection even more. Because nothing is quite so beautiful as watching a man discover the humanity in himself, as well as those around him.

more...

2016 Year in Review, Part 4: Embracing the modern age

by HeadsNo2 | December 19, 2016 | 93 Comments

Beautiful Mind

I still don’t quite buy that Beautiful Mind was cut due to poor ratings, since even as of this writing, we’re seeing a good deal of shows living well below the five percent mark. So far, even the shows that have been severely underperforming have gotten a chance to finish their runs, so what was specific to this show that it couldn’t?

Without donning a tinfoil hat, we could point to the interruption caused by the 2016 Rio Olympic Games as one reason, and the fact that Beautiful Mind had more than its fair share of production woes before airing. In order to give it time to get itself together, KBS pushed its airdate by two weeks—which, at the time, did seem like a lot of trouble to go through for a show that would’ve been able to meet its original airdate had they not insisted on waiting for actress Park So-dam to finish shooting Cinderella and the Four Knights first.

But if we were to put that tinfoil hat on for a brief moment, the fact remains that KBS did make exceptions for the show, and it wasn’t like the Olympics came as any great surprise. (You had four years to plan for this!) I can’t shake the feeling that cutting the episode count was a passive act of revenge on the network’s part for jumping through so many hoops for a show that didn’t even deliver high numbers, considering that they had originally wanted to cut the sixteen episode order to an unprecedented twelve. Kim Tae-hee, the writer, personally fought for at least fourteen episodes, because she wanted to at least see the story finished properly.

more...

and vote for BM in their Beanie awards

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/12/2016-beanie-awards-vote-for-your-favorite-dramas-of-the-year/

Not my fav when it comes to medical dramas but I like this show in 2016. I hope kbs at least recognize this drama! I'm watching kbs awards  hence...

RT Beautifful Mind had low ratings but the story was so captivating for me. Jang Hyk was as usual, phenomenonal. (cr:lelouch)

C0_YGQQXcAADEzN.jpg

BM awarded by China's Sohu in '2% Award of 2016 (good drama but for 2% suck' category. Looks like c-channel and viewers also love BM even it's been downgrade by their own station *glare at KBS.

Read more here: http://koalasplayground.com/2017/01/05/chinas-sohu-holds-2nd-golden-kimchee-awards-with-moon-lovers-and-uncontrollably-fond-picked-as-worst-k-dramas-of-2016/#more-78697

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2016 at 3:16 PM, Mau_Cherry said:

I needed something to cheer my mood about BM - so I came up with a little Scene... All my Imagination...

Last Scene

YO and JS are sitting somewhere - maybe a bench by the sea - maybe a table in a small restaurant - not really importend.

YO: It is only logical... You are the only Woman I will ever love and I´m the only man you are allowed to love for the rest of your life - so there is no other option - we have to marry.

JS looks a bit shocked - she was not prepared to hear something  like that out of the blue.

YO: But honestly - why have a Man to go on his knees when he ask a Woman to marry. Isn´t it enough that he brings the Ring (he placed a open Ringbox in front of JS) and ist honest about her.

JS now really confused - but we see that there is a Smile in her Eyes now.

The Camera start to zoom out

JS: It´s just to show the respect to the Woman he loves...

YO: Why do he need to make his Suit dirty to show Respect. A Man should not ask a Woman to marry him if he don´t respect her.

We see the Sun in the Background... the talking goes on...

Meanwhile YO takes the Ring out and put it on JS Finger.

She laughs. "Wait"

YO: Not again - you let my wait long enough when I asked you to go out with me. Why should I wait again when I  know your answer."

JS: I did not even answer you - so how can you..

YO interrupts her - moving his Head closer to her - looking at her with those intense Eyes but with a warm SMile too.

YO: You told me you will be on my Side. You told me you will never leave me. You told me I will never be alone in my life because I have you now. So of course I already knew your answer. But still - this is how normal People should do it or not."

JS looks at the beautiful and simple Ring on her Finger / smiles brightly

JS: You are not normal - thats why you are special and  thats why you need me!"

YO: So you will marry me? (suddenly we can hear that his confidence is wavering for a second.)

JS: I will - I love you!

We can only see them in Silouettes now because the Camera moved out further. YO leans in - and kissed his future Wife.

End...

.... just let me dream....

Oh my god!!! Luckily I stumbled upon this site by sheer chance and gosh what I find!! So many ardent fans of Beautiful mind!! I am so happy! I am not the rare one first thing and secondly I was frantically searching for fanfiction on Beautiful mind couple but could find none! :( but thankfully I saw yours and read it right away. :D I am not content neither happy with the too short 14 episode of BM. Hence I want my peace of mind by reading on them especially Doctor Lee. You have written a pretty awesome piece. Your writing is magnificient. *claps* Please do write more at least 1 more on the couple even if it's a short one! Please! It's an earnest request.

Thank you for reading. 

P.S. I am completely new here. Glad to meet you all through your comments! :))

On 12/31/2016 at 2:33 PM, jongski said:

Not my fav when it comes to medical dramas but I like this show in 2016. I hope kbs at least recognize this drama! I'm watching kbs awards  hence...

RT Beautifful Mind had low ratings but the story was so captivating for me. Jang Hyk was as usual, phenomenonal. (cr:lelouch)

True! He just nailed it. Now I cannot even imagine a great surgeon without thinking of Doctor Lee. He brought life to the character!! Period.

On 24/07/2016 at 5:58 PM, ihyw said:

Yes, I feel sad reading this, too. What a thoughtless crass  imposition on a  superb cast and crew. I am now a fan for life of these actors, director, and writer. Wish I knew the name of the cinematographer so I could look for their other work. So many scenes I replay and replay. They are beautifully filmed.

I also don't understand the profit motive and disregard for international fans. It's a global economy now. We can buy products advertised in Korea.  For example, I just started some laundry using the detergent brand Lee Bo Young used in I Hear Your Voice. My unsuspecting spouse never questioned our switch from  lovely organic lavender sudsy stuff. :phew: You'd think advertisers would see this global market. We are consumers, too. I'll get off my soap box now--sorry--but I truly don't get it. 

Meanwhile, will Monday never get here?  Work will get in the way but I'm strategizing quick breaks so I can pop in to see what's happening in our favorite little world. Thanks everybody for sharing the fun Instagram posts. And @MinLyn thanks so much for translating the preview. Can't wait! 

I agree with your every word. Most of the scenes are a masterpiece and worth watching unaccountable times! I am sure I will watch them again and again to satisfy myself (since they cut the series short which could have been 20!) and yet I won't get tired of it. Such a masterwork! Hats off to the writer actor and the whole team of BM. 

Archived