[OFFICIAL THREAD] DDONGI COUPLE ~ (Eric Nam ❤ MAMAMOO Solar) LEGGO~!

Le_Sanguinea

Ddongie ep (imaginery)

Monday morning yongsun come to eric house to have breakfast together. He make simple food egg and pancake with heart sign by honey, yongsun get smile see his sweet act

They eat and talk together, eric praise her perform at blue dragon award and yongsun said it's byul idea to change the lyric and it work it make the audience smile and laugh 

Eric : You guys did a good job and your song reach no 1 

Yongsun : Yeah...we really happy to see that and moomoos happy too

Yongsun : Oppa when you will go to hongkong?

Eric : tomorrow

Yongsun : i brought you something, it's a scarf if you wear this you will feel warm and not get caught by cold 

She stand up and put the scarf around his shoulder, 'you really cute oppa' yongsun said this and laugh

Eric thanks her and give a hug

Yongsun : I can't stay long oppa and there's request from my member they want Timbaland autograph

Eric : and what you want?

Yongsun laugh and kiss eric 'I only want you, I will miss you this week'

Eric hug her thigh 'I will miss you too'

They hold hand together and walk to the door

------

Aaahhh...I can't write like @cinnaminskie 

• Like 6

DELULU ALERT!! :grin:

annyeonggg donggie fammmmm!!:heart::heart:

just wanted to share something that makes me really happy today n i hope it can make u guys happy too..weeee

i was listening to urban zakapa on utube, and then i came across this old interview where eric nam mentioned the artists he wanted to collaborate with in the future..

he mentioned crush, urban zakapa, n then he stops for a while (as if contemplating "should i mention her or not?" hehee),  and then lastly he mentioned his wife from mamamoo!! :blush:

n when the translator translated it to the interviewer,look at Eric's sly smile :phew: at the mention of his wife from mamamoo!! :blush::blush::blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVY_ORdz3k

#hardcoredonggiefan #stillhoping #donggielovestorybetterthankdrama  :glasses:

that's all fam,ppyong!!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Izzybolhan said:

DELULU ALERT!! :grin:

annyeonggg donggie fammmmm!!:heart::heart:

just wanted to share something that makes me really happy today n i hope it can make u guys happy too..weeee

i was listening to urban zakapa on utube, and then i came across this old interview where eric nam mentioned the artists he wanted to collaborate with in the future..

he mentioned crush, urban zakapa, n then he stops for a while (as if contemplating "should i mention her or not?" hehee),  and then lastly he mentioned his wife from mamamoo!! :blush:

n when the translator translated it to the interviewer,look at Eric's sly smile :phew: at the mention of his wife from mamamoo!! :blush::blush::blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVY_ORdz3k

#hardcoredonggiefan #stillhoping #donggielovestorybetterthankdrama  :glasses:

that's all fam,ppyong!!

Aww Fam :wub::wub: That pause Eric of consideration did made it more meaningful in more eyes. I hope he meant it.

This was back in June though, I wonder what he would say now?

Also, totes,  #donggielovestorybetterthankdrama  B)

------------------------------------

Also, to all of you who are having login problems, not sure if this has been stated, but it might help if you use a different browser than what you usually use for soompi. I've been begrudgingly using Internet Explorer instead of Chrome, it get the job done at least.

• Like 5

Just out of the blue, since the previous batch of couples (Our Ddongie & ChaoChao(?)) already left, including 33's last episode this week.

With the 3 new couples, how would WGM compete for Best Couple Awards in the year end MBC Award? Haven't they considered about this?

I mean, WGM literally gave up and lost all their advantages in this award....:confused:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, trowabarton99 said:

Just out of the blue, since the previous batch of couples (Our Ddongie & ChaoChao(?)) already left, including 33's last episode this week.

With the 3 new couples, how would WGM compete for Best Couple Awards in the year end MBC Award? Haven't they considered about this?

I mean, WGM literally gave up and lost all their advantages in this award....:confused:

Can they recall previous couples? If only.... Ddongie can be recalled to perform ^_^

• Like 3

It's look we can't see ddongie interaction at MAMA i'm curious who will take best vocal group award cos i don't see news about BEAST either

I'm late watch mmm mcoundown back stage for japan, mamamoo said it's their first and last stage for mcountdown, i get confuse at first hear that and then remember mnet will be busy with MAMA, i feel so stupid lol

Just watched mmm segment at 'people looking for laugh' and the rehearsal clip too...for me the rehearsal more funny

• Like 1

@97jbombs - WGM does have writers, to be perfectly honest. That's how that whole scripted vs. genuine argument got played out most of the time. However, it's not as easy as it sounds to cut scenes from actual shoots just to prove a certain concept or narrative. A prime example to this would be the Alex - ShiNae couple. Back then, the PDs wanted to portray them as the awkwardly romantic couple - they had to separate after 13 episodes of their first segment, but they came back later and finished another 11 or so episodes. The PDs wanted to portray the image that they became awkward with each other because of the separation, so they started cutting out scenes that showed anything other than them being shy with each other. 

That little plan failed miserably for several reasons. One, Alex and ShiNae weren't awkward around each other because they've already become friends since then, which was proven by the staffs when they were asked around by people who wanted to authenticate what was really happening between them. Two, since they're NOT actually awkward with each other, trying to box them as the "Awkward" couple required the PDs to cut a lot of scenes from the segment, which is what happened with their wedding photoshoot episode. The entire thing was butchered into an abominable 13 minute mess of an episode, which left fans outraged as to why their segment was cut that short. People questioned the veracity of the editing in WGM simply because of the fact that the PDs wanted people to see something specific, but the people saw otherwise. They researched extensively if Alex and Shinae were actually avoiding each other during the shoot, and fan accounts and fan pictures sprang up everywhere proving otherwise. 

https://coolsmurf.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/fans-outraged-at-alex-shin-ae-we-got-married-editing/

This example of botched editing is why I take previews with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

I wrote about this in my second article, where I introduced the concept of compatibility and chemistry. Even if the PDs wanted to sell the shy girl accepting the growing closer to the foreign guy concept as you've worded it, that depends on how well the two people in question mesh together in the first place. Remember, viewers of WGM are acutely aware if the two are actually getting along together, or if all of it is just based on some scenario that the writers cook up. Seasoned WGM viewers would also notice discrepancies between the couples because of our familiarity with WGM's format, so we'd know if something was being done just for show or if the two participants actually have chemistry or not. :)

I hope this little bit adds to your understanding of how "editing" in WGM works. ;)

- - - - - 

@Ira Ajja -  So you really did try to write? :D  

Don't worry, even if it's not as good as @cinnaminskies (heck I'm not even sure if I can write something as good as her. :P ), at least you tried, right? ;) 

- - - --  -

Meanwhile, I finally get some much needed rest tomorrow. Maybe I can write something with a little rest and relaxation. :) 

• Like 8

Hello, newbee here.. I've never joined any forum before since my English skill is poor. I just want to let you guys know that reading about ddongi here is heaven for people like me so I want to thank you all. I have to make an acc at soompi becoz of this..and for the first time I made an ac at kakao too. Please let me join the group. my id is rie11....back to lurking...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cinnaminskies said:

@Le_Sanguinea you're too kind. I'm sure all of you could do better than me in a heartbeat. Especially you.

Eric's use of You these days has me all delulu so another fic idea may be swirling around in my brain...

Can't help it....It could have been "waiting for you all" ^_^

He's totally not helping at all. He could really be using that to tease solar in private too.......... -we will never find out.......:P

• Like 5

@Le_Sanguinea I never knew they actually botched the editing of Alex-Shinae couple that badly until now since I've never watched them. Thanks for bringing it up.

Okay, @97jbombs, I would like to offer my own perspective on this (very long post ahead):

On 11/30/2016 at 2:47 AM, 97jbombs said:

Which still makes me wonder if WGM deliberately saved the best for last and cut all those couply moments like the house hangouts and furniture rearranging scenes from the first few episodes in order to construct and sell this narrative for Ddongie: a shy girl growing closer to a foreign boy. They actually have writers for this show? Was this narrative planned and directed to be like this from the beginning? I think @enko20, you mentioned a similar topic a while back, but I can't help but still feel bothered by it. I rather not question our couple's authenticity and just believe that the writers had Eric and Solar try the cute and learning each other's language concepts at first, realized it didn't work, and had them do their own thing for their own best interest.

I think that from the very beginning, the overarching theme that the PD wanted to box Ddongie couple into was clear. They wanted them to be a Fun type of couple, and a lot of episode concepts and scene cutting were deliberately done to veer toward this narrative. @Le_Sanguinea talked about it already in his older post hereWhy? Because, when you have two casts that can pull equal weights when it comes to quirks and humors, it's simply a golden opportunity that they couldn't pass by. It's not easy to maximize this with couples that only have one quirky character (case in point: JjongAh).

That's the part that was tailored by WGM. The PD clearly highlighted Ddongie's energy and hyper appearance as the main appeal in this interview [(1) and (5)], plus many other statements I want to use to get my point across:

(1) "It's the energy. Both of them look gentle, and actually they're also very shy. But they have a lot of energy. They become true friends. (2) They're very faithful to their feelings without displaying a show to others. Solar has what you called a friend appeal, very energetic, a funnier friend than a comedian, it takes a long time to get her that heated.(3) But it shows that she intentionally doesn't 'pretend' and shows her slowly heated appearance. Eric Nam is also the trend these days, but rather than excited, (4) he doesn't want to throw his original self. Unexpectedly, he expresses everything in his original appearance as he's happy without holding any weight. Behind his well-mannered appearance, there's also his energetic appearance. (5) Even if they're only placed on the street, they'll play well since the energy rises, and they seem to be a natural sympathetic couple."

---------

"I heard story from on-site PD that the more he sees Eric Nam, he's also a good friend. (6) The good attitude to start 'WGM' is indeed sincerity. He also minds to take care of the staff and he even takes care of Solar's gift although nowadays he's so busy going abroad back and forth. (7) This word isn't used often, there's authenticity. If there's an eating god, at the pizza restaurant he takes care of 30 staffs' order and he frequently asks whether if it's not hard. It's a small manner, '1 house 1 Eric Nam' that is yelled by fans looked like appears in nano scale. (laugh)"

However, what they didn't, and couldn't meddle with Ddongie couple was their sincerity in relationship [(2)(3), (4), (6), and (7)]. We already saw this on display during Eric and Solar's talk at Han River. They showed their intention to grow closer to each other on a personal level even from the early episodes, but it didn't become clear to them both (specifically Solar) until later on.

The one time they tried to meddle with them, this happened:

https://www.soompi.com/2016/08/08/eric-nam-talks-mamamoo-solar-pictures-married-life/

“The people in the studio wanted us to get closer quicker, but that doesn’t match with our concept. My actual goal when marrying in real life is to live like friends even after marriage.”

Actually, on that date, both of them revealed something very personal about each other, not just Eric, but only one of them made it into the episode:

bully.png

Eric talked about his bad experience during school days

never.png

Solar gave hints about her lack of experience in relationship (or her bad experiences with a previous relationship, but that's a whole other can of worm I won't bring up here).

(to @Le_Sanguinea: this is why I don't completely disregard previews, even if it's even more deliberately edited to mislead viewers than the actual episode cutting. There was also something else in the preview that became vital down the line, though it wasn't known to me at that point in time)

Spoiler

marrying.png

Eric expressing his appreciation of Solar as his WGM partner

So to answer your question about whether the storyline of Solar - a Korean girl - growing closer and becoming more romantically attached to Eric - a foreign boy - was something crafted and guided by the writers, the answer is no. The fun part of their narrative was what focused on heavily by the staffs, but their connection was naturally developed along with it by their sincere desire to have a relationship with each other. Solar already had this intention from the very start, but it was only until Jeju Island did she realize it was something mutual between them.

friends.png

Spoiler

FSLea1TMWB2Ks.gif

Eric Nam comments that Solar is a very good person, saying, “I want to maintain my friendship with her, calling each other whenever a good or bad thing happens. I realized that my personality matches well with hers after getting to know each other. My wish that I told her when we were in Jeju Island became a hot topic. I really meant it when I said that I wanted to speak informally with her. That’s the only way we would become close. Getting to speak informally was the key.”

By the way, what Eric did here even caught the staffs off-guard hard, so you know it was something Eric secretly planned on his own and not something cooked up for him.

Eric Nam recently also made female fans fluttered. In swimming battle with Solar, Eric Nam as victory got a right for a wish. Unlike the expectations that his wish is for skinship, Eric Nam asked Solar to drop her formal speech and gave a pleasant reversal feelings.

"Eric Nam wanted to hold Solar's hand, we're also expecting the unexpected skinship. After Eric Nam and Solar busking wedding, Eric Nam has been developing intimacy, in that part we thought that there will be a feeling of thirst. Even if Solar herself is still comfortable and think of it as courtesy, at the thought of Eric Nam felt uncomfortable, her thought was clattering down in the interview. The thing that Eric Nam himself wants, he works faithfully at the thing in his mind/heart and it felt like he's thinking seriously about his relationship with someone named Solar."

Another reason why there were so many romantic moments cut out from their footage is because it was something planned by Eric & Solar, not just by the PD. It's just my theory and not something confirmed, but I have a very good basis to make this case. 

• The staffs' view of Eric Nam

In addition, Eric Nam is an idea bank. Choi PD said, "Dinosaur egg proposal is Eric Nam's idea. He has a PD-like mind, he actively contributes ideas. Many people thought everything in 'WGM' goes according to the script, but the cast's idea is applied a lot. Self wedding photoshoot is also Solar and Eric Nam's idea. The two of them work hard to immerse themselves in the situation."

Eric has a voice on his appearance because of his previous contributions and experiences with WGM. Solar also has some say as well because she put a lot of investment and sincerity into this show. Judging by Solar's candid camera event, I could also tell that she's extremely aware of the troubles that could come from showing off too much in front of cameras. Because of that, I personally believe that they themselves discussed the omission of certain romantic interactions with the staffs to protect themselves from controversy, and it wasn't even something that was "saving the best for last". In fact, the romantic moments had to be cut even harder toward the end, because their intimacy level went through the roof after Dubai so much that after toning it down it still caused all of us Ddongie fans (and their own fanbase) serious menboong.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

@Le_Sanguinea I think I already asked you about this before, but since we're here, I want to reiterate this question again and I hope you can find the time to answer me. What is your opinion on the "scripted" nature of WGM? Specifically, what kind of argument would you have when something like this is brought up?

• Like 4

Mamamoo is going on SNL Korea! Back with the beagleness, can't wait.

https://www.soompi.com/2016/12/01/mamamoo-become-3-minute-girlfriends-snl-korea/

Preview Pic: Hyejin indeed has been getting her inspiration from somewhere...

mamamoo solar hwasa moonbyul

@Le_Sanguinea and @enko20, thank you both for the detailed and joyful reads, they're blessings before finals I'll have you know :sweatingbullets: In all honesty, I took those PD nim interviews with a grain of salt because I was questioning their sincerity, too. It could have all been part of the act. But y'all helped wrap things up nicely for me. 

I suppose you really can't make something from nothing with this show. Well, you can, but it would feel forced and require a thick wall of emotionless acting that would eventually create a toll on the couple. That definitely wasn't our Ddongie. Looking back at all the Han River moments, I remember how serious in tone that episode was compared to the episodes before and the ones in the future. That must have been when WGM was like "ooh shoot, this isn't the funsies we wanted." Cuuue editing cuts :rolleyes: But the points brought up in the Han River convo were definitely not something you would want to reveal on your second meeting with someone, unless you wanted to seriously get close. There were lots more moments too, which we've all talked about. I feel reassured once again about their sincerity. ^_^

I'm happy we have you seasoned viewers who can tell apart these different vibes in couples just by watching. Do guide youngins like myself. 

--------------

On a sidenote, chingus and lurkers, the kakao chat is definitely a lot more livelier and with a lot more updates, do consider joining and contributing~ It seems like only all the serious stuff that we have to write about will end up on this thread from now on, but lets bring some of those updates back on this thread y'all :D

• Like 3