[OFFICIAL THREAD] DDONGI COUPLE ~ (Eric Nam ❤ MAMAMOO Solar) LEGGO~!

Le_Sanguinea

@papaxmoo Yep, and that would explain her mood in Memory Diary. The final BRI recording is always the most emotional one, and I think she opened/was getting ready to open herself up to reveal her final thoughts on Eric. Also, I wonder if she was doing that while Eric was recording BRI himself?

@papaxmoo @jjsis I agree. Let's think of the end as a continuation. I mean, all good movies/tv shows come to an end right? And we are left to imagine what the couple looks like after credit roll, but for Ddongi, we can keep on seeing their activities afterwards, possibly even together too, who know? If you think of it that way, it makes for more of a happy ending than a sad one. :)

Let's keep the mood up in here, ok? We still have some episodes left to spazz with each other. Here, something fun for us:

TSQsObS.jpg

Remember the first time Yoon kissed Yong's mochi cheeks? She was very nervous and awkward, because they were not close and comfortable with each other.

mtpoyc2.jpg

And same here when the panelist came.

QBJPruE.jpg

But now, Solar is more relaxed and like she's enjoying the kiss. because they did it out of their desire, and not for any game or punishment.

IsnvRp8.jpg

Not to mention, she's going to give Eric a smooch too. He has been waiting for this since Chuseok, Solar!

Eric said before that usually this kind of thing wouldn't be possible when they are together by themselves, because they are too shy, but them doing it now alone in the booth, it really is a testament of how far their relationship have come since then. 

• Like 8

@zurah90 Just when I finished my translation :sweatingbullets: Thanks sis for the news sharing :D I was contemplating whether to translate or not before because I think it'll be translated by Soompi/Allkpop. Although mine may be worse, I'll just put this in spoiler.

Spoiler

MAMAMOO Solar "Overwhelmed with emotion at 'WGM' last filming with Eric Nam, will keep in contact and get along in the future" (Interview)
(Source: http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201611101851030410)

[Reporter Hwang Hye-jin of Newsen]

Group MAMAMOO (Solar, Moonbyul, Wheein, Hwasa)'s leader and main vocalist Solar told behind-the-scenes story from the last filming of MBC 'We Got Married' with singer Eric Nam.

Joined together with Eric Nam as 'We Got Married' new virtual couple in April, Solar, who had been loved greatly by viewers through her warm image even when bickering, leaves the program after the recording on November 9th.

In response, in an interview with Newsen on 10th in the afternoon, Solar began to speak, "At first, I thought (I/we)'d rather be cool, but it seems to be a bittersweet one."

She continued, "We were together for 8-9 months. After nearly a year together, we had last get-together, the writers were also in tears. The relationship existed, I was a little bit overwhelmed with emotion."

What was virtual husband Eric Nam's response? Solar said, "Eric Nam oppa is the same as me. We think that this the end of the program but it's not the end of our relationship, so we can keep in contact and get along in the future even after that. We got closer and finished it with warm feeling."

MAMAMOO, which the group Solar belongs to, released the 4th mini album 'MEMORY' on 7th and made a comeback after only 9 months. The title song 'Decalcomanie' that was released won 1st place at the same time on 6 domestic music streaming sites, once again realized the term 'trust and listen to MAMAMOO'.

-----

Solar's memo:

• Like 12

@Farfalle Actually I'm glad you translated this chingu. I read the Korean article this morning, and I thought that AKP translation was misleading (AKP has a reputation of inciting controversy). I'm glad you read it the same way I did.

This was AKP's translation of Solar's words:

"At first, I thought it would be a weight off my shoulders, but actually, I think it's right to call it bittersweet. 

Saying "a weight off my shoulders" makes it sound like Solar initially thought that WGM was a burden for her and she wanted to get it over with, when clearly that wasn't what she said at all. Rather, she was trying to not become emotional but she felt overwhelmed instead.

Felt like I need to point this out so there's no misunderstanding involved.

• Like 7

@enko20 Now that you said it like that, it surely might give the readers that perspective :mellow: I wonder why allkpop writer used that term since it's not an idiom or difficult term, I translated it literally. I can only sigh at the writer's choice of word.

-----

Don't know if this is taken yesterday or not, but it's uploaded recently.

Hope Eric is okay wherever he is now.

• Like 6

@Farfalle @enko20

I have nobody else to thanks to if not for my fellow sisters here. I was too excited to read the article and i do read it repeatedly for quite a few times coz i felt something amiss but i didn't think much about it. Not until i read your translated version and @enko20's pointed out what i have missed. Thank you for the clarifications. :) 

Thanks for the update, @Farfalle! And yes, hope everything is doing fine with Eric. He has been silent for a whole day without any update on his SNS. 

• Like 4

Ahh Solar's giving me so much hope! I think bittersweet is how we all feel about it. She talks about them staying in touch so definitely. It's not "I hope we stay in touch" it's "Its not the end of our relationship and we're going to keep in touch." I'm so glad she's talking this way.

I wonder what Eric has to say about this...

• Like 6

@cinnaminskies Me too, but there aren't many interviews for him since he's not promoting now. But from the article, I feel that Eric & Solar talked a lot about their own thoughts regarding their relationship after the virtual marriage ends. Even Solar could say that she and Eric have the same thought :) I highkey want this kind of talk in their last episode!

Also, it's minor, but I like the fact that the article wrote that Solar mentioned Eric as "oppa", while several months ago when MAMAMOO gave their support message for Eric's "Good For You", they called him "Eric Nam sunbaenim".

-----

Another point in the article, Solar said they had a final get-together? Is it like dinner with the staffs and Eric also? Hope this part will air too!

• Like 6

@Farfalle Yes, I like the fact that she's saying "we know it's not the end of our relationship, we will keep in contact" instead of I, this is definitely a mutual agreement even though we haven't heard words from Eric yet. Hardly surprising right? We all know they discuss things often off-camera/off-WGM. I'm also glad she can call him "oppa" just like she does in BRI too instead of "Richyung" or something :lol:

1 hour ago, Farfalle said:

Another point in the article, Solar said they had a final get-together? Is it like dinner with the staffs and Eric also? Hope this part will air too!

It's a wrap-up party for WGM couple. They get together with the staffs to celebrate and saying goodbye to viewers. It's usually an uncut episode that MBC will post. I'm glad Solar confirmed with us that they will have one too. Also, I noticed she said the staffs were crying (told you they love our couple)? I'm used to seeing happy wrap-up parties, but it sounds like Ddongi couple will have an emotional one? :cry:

• Like 6

10 hours ago, papaxmoo said:

wedding_photo2161110161301entertain1.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

To those who are still feeling a little empty it's okay, everything's gonna be alright. here's something I learnt at times when I feel sad or depressed, first of all don not identify yourself with that emotion. What I mean by this is don't tell yourself or say "I am depressed" you are not depressed you feel depressed. feelings come and go, you will get through this. 

10 hours ago, papaxmoo said:

wedding_photo2161110161301entertain1.jpg

Hide contents

The video so funny lol...sorry get error with my browser 

Btw just read news Yang and Nam show will recorder this saturday with twice as the guest

• Like 2

@Farfalle thank you, you have no idea how much we appreciate you!!! -HUG-

@enko20 I think it's so great they all get together at the end and have a party(usually every show does this). it builds a nice bond with people in the industry too. Adam couple talked about a get together they had in Bali(? or was it their wrap up party) with the staff and how they were tipsy and Gain was like trying to get Jokwon to reveal his feelings by putting her head on his shoulder and pretending to be drunk(appearance on Happy Together). I hope one day we can hear these kinds of stories too. 

something I've been meaning to say AGES ago but keep forgetting. I think why Eric promoted WGM so much when he was in the states is because he is truly himself without no mc telling him what to do or any(too much) interference on the show. He is also able to enjoy himself, the activities,the food and his company. I don't mean he's not himself on other shows but fam you know what I mean right? To be able to enjoy things normally(+ film crew) like the average Joe. 

• Like 4

So I'm lurking around on MBC's official website waiting for text preview, and I run into something... interesting

Spoiler

Remember our couple's Special VOD section? I came checking in on their page and I began to see these (it wasn't in this format before)

qro9heL.png

LAWQsrU.png

At first, I thought these were just Ddongi's episodes, but the episode numbers doesn't match with the actual ones, so I thought "what the heck are those then?"

So I went over to Bbyu couple and I saw these:

iuar6iG.png

ppjU15W.png

These two were an unair cut and a Director's Cut of Bbyu couple that was posted on YT. So I'm saying... those might be the Ddongi's uncut episodes that they will post very soon in the future. Don't count on this, it's just a hunch I have after seeing that.

@papaxmoo I remember that too, usually those get-together moments are always very interesting, so I can't wait to see what Ddongi will do.

100% on your point about Eric. It was the main point I was trying to make in my Eric's article. WGM is one of the best platforms, if not the best, to display his personality fully, and he's trying to tell people that everything he's been showing there is really him and it's not a role play or anything. His hands are tied when he's in Korea, because the fans will boo him the moment he mentions anything related to WGM, so he has to take his chances in other countries instead.

He gave a hint on this when he told Solar "It's us who are making this work". There are certain casts that want to sell an image when they get on WGM to boost their popularity.Eric want to show his "American" personality instead, not his Nation's Boyfriend side, but he needs a female partner that is on the same page with him about this. That's why he's happy that he ended up with Solar out of all the girls in Korea, because she herself want to be real instead of putting on an act. I really don't know if he could have done that without Solar as his wife in the first place.

Eric chose the hard road for himself. He and Solar was hated by many WGM viewers for doing this instead of showing what they want to see. It was slow, difficult and painful at first, but they never gave up, and over time they slowly turned people's opinion around. It really was worth it for them in the end.

• Like 8

@Ira Ajja so they will have idol groups on there. since they're recording with Twice I have high hopes that Mamamoo will end up on the show too.

@enko20 nice find, my heart started racing while I scrolled down your screen caps haha I really hope so, even the staff got sad gosh! I am glad we can appreciate the bond that the staff, Eric and Yong have. I am thankful to them too, they couldn't have done it without the staff. I'm sure some of you may have heard of nightmare stories about mishaps and crazy things that happen when the crew don't get along right? So happy the staff really liked them, it would have been very difficult if they left a bitter taste in the staff's mouths. 

this is for anyone looking for a good laugh.

Spoiler

• Like 4

So I decided to break down my thoughts into 2 (maybe 3 parts). I've thought of just writing a straightforward article about our Ddongi Couple, but I thought you guys might appreciate it more if you knew my perspective from the bottom-up. ;)  I haven't done this sort of article before in my previous ships, so I hope that tells you how I appreciate their pairing even more. Cheers! ^_^

- - - - - - - - - 

PART 1: CONFESSIONS OF A JOURNEYMAN WGM VIEWER

Let me start with a minor disclaimer. It’s been a little over 5 years since I started this descent into the K-pop rabbit hole. Of all places to start with, I found myself vaguely interested in this show with a weird premise I found extremely illogical, yet interesting enough to spark my curiosity.

we-got-married.png

Yep, it’s We Got Married.

I found the show while I was browsing for news bits about The Wondergirls, and I happened to click a link describing how Sunye’s best friend, Jo Kwon joined a virtual marriage. I was like, WTH is that? Is that like the Bachelor, but monogamous? Is it a dating show? Is it a reality show with a twist? WHAT IS IT? Back then, I wasn’t familiar enough with the eccentricities of Korean entertainment to appreciate that the concepts that they use are fundamentally different from Western media, so I had to give this show a try. What harm could it do, right?

article%201.jpg

What the heck am I looking at here?

A few months later, I was hooked. For some weird reason that I couldn’t even define, I found the show oddly entertaining, despite the fact that it was obviously a reality show designed to project a false sense of reality to viewers. Watching two strangers attempt to co-exist was fascinating, especially to someone who loves observing people like myself. I followed all the major couples of Season 2 (as well as some of the minor couples like David and Rise), and backtracked the previous episodes all the way to Season 1. Wanting to find out more about some of the background music they used on the show, I searched the net for offsite resources, stumbling upon Soompi in the process, and discovering the crazy world of Shipping and shippers. I was initially hesistant to join a ship because I found the very thought of pairing two people based on a fictional premise weird, but then I remembered how attached I was to the Chuck and Sarah pairing on the American TV series Chuck and realized it’s not really that different, so I jumped headlong into the void, joining several threads in the process and making friends along the way.

A year passed, and I continued to be an avid viewer, but eventually I began to feel burnt out watching all the newer couples. The show eventually became a mishmash of Television tropes to me, because I had learned to predict what they’re going to do in a specific point in their relationship, as well as what specific imagery the PDs were aiming for in their cuts in the show. Sure, I still enjoyed watching different people interact on the show, but my nature of over-analyzing things started to creep back into my viewing habits, and it made the show less interesting and forced, the high point of which was when the Oh Yeon Seo-Lee Joon scandal broke out. I watched their segment primarily for Lee Joon, because I liked MBLAQ and I was curious about the identity of the unknown actress paired with him, but after a certain period of time I felt the vibe was becoming a bit too forced between the two. Then the dating scandal regarding Lee Jang Woo broke out, and yours truly, along with many other netizens who watched the show lost faith in the show in general and dropped it like a hot potato. Although going by WGM's original premise that it's a fake marriage and things like that should be expected to happen in real life, the fact that it actually happened and was reported in the media broke the viewer's immersion, which is the fundamental aspect of the show that makes it so appealing to viewers in general. That is why from Season 1, participants are encouraged (more like forced is the better word) to follow very specific sets of rules to ensure that none of the ensuing public backlash would happen. 

2365e7fa4161bc66e25f5c67b870cff6.jpg

A primer on what-not-to-do as a WGM participant

At this point in the time I was a jaded WGM viewer. Although I still watched them occasionally, my motivation was centered more on supporting the individuals joining rather the concept of actually watching a couple progress. Interestingly enough, newer PDs found a way to cast new couples that made me retain a minimum amount of mild interest in the show. I followed TaEun because I was a Pink Panda, and along the way found Yoon Han and Lee So-yeon’s segment adorable enough for me to warrant watching them. It was not until the PocaGuri couple that I found myself interested enough in a couple to consider joining a shipper thread again. They were so mismatched and incongruous that I felt that I HAD to watch their segment and join in on the fun. It was the first couple  in a long while that managed to sparked my interest enough to support their progression on the show. I started doing personality profile analyses again, played detective with their various show appearances, and overall just managed to have fun as a shipper again.

Over time, I recognized that the PDs were doing a better job of casting better couples than before. Starting with the Namgoong Min – Hong Jin-Young, I thought that their compatibility choices were getting better, though I still wasn’t that interested enough to fully commit to a couple’s ship. The last one I joined was JjongAh, primarily because of Yura and her bright and bubbly personality. I would’ve loved the couple even more if Hong Jong Hyun wasn’t so stiff in his approach, but overall they were one of the couples I enjoyed watching (it’s probably quite obvious from my member title tag).  Then there’s the LTE couple, who I thought had the most interesting first date concept out of all the couples I’ve watched over the years.

17.jpg

2014 had some pretty strong contenders for the best couple awards.

Despite that, I still felt that something was a bit lacking. I acknowledge that I found the previous couples I’ve shipped amusing in that regard, but for me, I want something that resonates with my sense of enjoyment more. I want that same feeling I had when I first watched WGM and found myself clicking the next episode eagerly to find out what happens next in their segment. You know the feeling of watching something for the first time? You want to find something that evokes the same thing, that same magic. Kind of like playing a game and watching the story unfold for the first time, or watching a movie at the theaters without any spoilers, or reading a book all the way to the end for the first time. Of course, being a pragmatic and realistic person, I had accepted that it wouldn’t be so easy wishing for something almost impossible. Nothing will really compare to the emotions of your first love (or watching something for the first time, that is).

I was about to prove myself wrong.

wedding_photo2160509104128entertain1.jpg

To be continued.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, loconeko91_stv said:

Fam did u realize Eric haven't update anything since 2 days ago? I hope he's okay :( since he had to face 2 struggle, last filming and election result.. I miss his update.. For any Namnation here pls update about him if u have one okay ^^?

Yeah he really hasn't updated. To be honest, though, I don't blame him. He's probably recovering and worried about his family and how the election's been affecting them. Let's give him some time to heal and rest before his first filming for his new show. Eric will return to social media when he's ready, but, in the meantime, let's be take comfort in the fact that he has a good support system with his friends in Korea (a system which now includes Solar), and send good thoughts his way.

@Le_Sanguinea Thank you so much for starting your piece! I'm really interested in your perspective on Eric and Solar and why they're different. They were the first WGM couple I watched, and I have watched others now, but I'm wondering what insights a long-time viewer like you can share with all of us.

• Like 6