[Drama 2017] My Sassy Girl 엽기적인 그녀

mysignisflower

@haymochi I hope either, but I do not think the writer will lose this opportunity, they really love this kind of plot hahahah. 

@packmule3 I think I already read it hmm. I am thinking he encountered her in the same day that the Queen (her mother) was deposted. Something like a destiny hmm. Perhaps their encounter was in the tree where they usually running time.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@flutterby06

All I can add to your post here --

is this: 

Spoiler

"Preach it, sister sassypants!" 

Image result for preach gif

:)

I hope you didn't mind me sharing your post here. 

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

@lavender2love yes we slackers are back! So you aren't allowed to slack off either. Keep posting lol :tongue:

So Jeon In Hwa is close with Joo Won as well. Heeheee.. if she is following BoA, that's mean she is approved already.

oow yes @packmule3 since you mentioned about him hiding Haemyung's love letter.. it made me rewatch the scene as well. He looks super annoyed when she barked inside his room without even knocking. That girl knows no manner... even GW seems to adore wonja more than her. She is like a pain in the richard simmons 

If that little sister doesn't open her eyes soon, she's going to end up all alone wallowing with a tub of ice cream.  

4-1.gif

DY isn't going to want her sticking around once GW is married to the Princess, and GW wouldn't want her around his wife the Princess if she's only going to cause trouble for her.  

I do hope her attitude change would come sooner rather than later. Every time she walks in on an episode, I frown -- and I'm already wrinkled as it is. lol. 

@packmule3, ha ha..

No..I don't mind at all. :) 

But I want to know how do you post that picture? Can you tell the process? I always have to rely on picture with links to upload here.

3 hours ago, cutestrobery said:

@flutterby06 not only their outfit are matching but their hair colour too lmao

Ha ha..you're right.Their hair matched in both pictures! Our matching couple.. :D

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

So Jeon In Hwa is close with Joo Won as well. Heeheee.. if she is following BoA, that's mean she is approved already.

Joo Won and Jeon In Hwa are super close.. Everyone said how they looked like real Mom&Son after Baker King.

@airplanegirl, as far as I remember from your twitter post BoA followed Jeon in Hwa first and Jeon In hwa started following BoA later, right..? I find it really sweet of her to follow Jeon In Hwa. While I'm sad that Joo Won is now in military just when we knew about his relationship, these little little news about their relationship makes me happy.

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

@packmule3, ha ha..

No..I don't mind at all. :) 

But I want to know how do you post that picture? Can you tell the process? I always have to rely on picture with links to upload here.

I went about it the looooong way. I'm not a techie as you know. 

I took a screenshot of your post and her comment. Then I copied them to my "Paint" then I cut-and-pasted. After that, I uploaded to my photobucket. :)  I had to cut-and-paste her comment to delete the photo in between her paragraphs. 

I don't know of any other shortcut because I don't have tumbler, twitter, FB, instagram or snapchat. I'm a social media hermit. Or you can say, I'm an internet conservationist because I've left little digital footprint.

@lavender2love

hahaha. I liked what he said here. HM said he had trouble sleeping. And he blamed his insomnia on her, saying, "I suppose it is all your fault, Your Highness. You should take responsibility." In many dramas, the female character is the one telling the guy to assume responsibility for their relationship, so I like it that here it's the reverse. #Genderroles  lol. 

And the other amusing thing here is he wasn't the least bit uncomfortable saying that CHEESY confession that he dreamed of her. --- And we're not talking about the nightmare here because I'm not sure if he understood, at this point, that the young child in his nightmare was the young princess. 

Remember when he was interpreting for the QP? Back then, the QP told the Princess, "I couldn't sleep a wink because of my excitement at seeing you again."  To both GW and HM, his compliment sounded embarrassingly fulsome. It was awkward to say and to hear. Even prince wondered if he had over-done it. lol.

my%20sassy%20girl%20couldnt%20sleep_zpsh

But now, it's obvious that GW too is guilty of behaving like the QP.  His statement that he couldn't sleep because of her is just as saccharine. lol. If a third-party had been interpreting his conversation, that person would have been mentally cringing, too. Free Smiley

39 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

And the other amusing thing here is he wasn't the least bit uncomfortable saying that CHEESY confession that he dreamed of her. --- And we're not talking about the nightmare here because I'm not sure if he understood, at this point, that the young child in his nightmare was the young princess.

Like you said before Gyun Woo is really careful. While he's having sleepless night because of nightmares but he chose not to share it with others. He just rather teased and be cheesy with Princess by saying she keeps coming in his dreams so he is having trouble at sleeping! 

@packmule3, He doesn't understand that he is seeing little princess in his dreams, does he? What do you think?

I think understanding that (little girl in his dream is Princess) will make him very confused because he has no idea he was how he was associated with the little princess in the past. But we didn't see him much concerned about his nightmares.

Waddling back.. ! Do I look like a slacker ? Two pages to catch up...... !! Lemme fortify myself first with energy drinks.

200w.gif#7-grid1

WHAT ? DON'T WOMEN HAVE BRAINS ?

I came across this and see our princess is waaayyy ahead of Josean times. Her monologue sums up her very modern thinking.

DBdyY7LWsAAZwBd.jpg

DBdyY7bXkAAPymX.jpg

DBdyY7cWAAEJ5h9.jpg

Spoiler

DBdyY7dWAAATykP.jpg

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Like you said before Gyun Woo is really careful. While he's having sleepless night because of nightmares but he chose not to share it with others. He just rather teased and be cheesy with Princess by saying she keeps coming in his dreams so he is having trouble at sleeping! 

@packmule3, He doesn't understand that he is seeing little princess in his dreams, does he? What do you think?

I think understanding that (little girl in his dream is Princess) will make him very confused because he has no idea he was how he was associated with the little princess in the past. But we didn't see him much concerned about his nightmares.

Yes, you understood me. :)  (I'm still editing this post. Will be back in a bit.) 

I don’t think he’s connected the vision of the young princess to the grown-up princess. As a matter of fact, I’m not even sure he knows that the girl in his vision was a PRINCESS (and not just some ordinary child) because the child wasn’t wearing royal garbs.  And more importantly, I’m not even sure that he actually MET the princess when they were young. (***I’ll explain this later)

The problem for us viewers is that we have full knowledge of who Hyemyeong was when she was little, so we tend to forget that GW has 1) apparent amnesia of his childhood traumatic experience, and 2) no clue how Hyemyeong looked like when she was young. 

We however know that the young child in his dream and the Princess are one and the same. We have context. He doesn’t context so he cannot make sense of his dreams. So far, he’s seen these:

1. dead bodies around a nondescript palanquin  (see? no sign it was carrying royalty)
2. a hand with white sleeve grabbing something
3. a child’s face crying don’t go
4. a child walking, stepping around the bodies
5. the child reading the words “the blind queen brings downfall” on a flyer posted on the village announcement

I can think of at least two explanations for these occurrence of his nightmares. I'm still working on the third one :wink: 

One, he is slowly regaining his memory of the massacre. And the dreams are his memories resurfacing. Whether or not he encountered the young Princess in ACTUALITY is still uncertain.  

OR two, he’s a genius scholar. In his sleep, his brain is working out the pieces of the puzzle and putting them together. He’s not aware that in his dreams he’s actually assimilating the events of the day and making sense of them – connecting his nebulous past and the actual present. Things that he sees or hears during the day are explained in his dreams. For example, I'll analyze his first dream. (This is my dream interpretation and I’m not FREUD, okay?)

In Ep 8, this was his dream vision: somebody walking by dead bodies in a forest, a hand in white sleeves grabbing, and the young girl (he doesn’t know she’s a Princess) shaking her head.

My interpretation: 
The sight of the dead body of MYH triggers his memory of the dead bodies in the forest.
Hand in white sleeves clutching represents HM crying for his help (and note that day HM was wearing mostly white sleeves with the trimmings). HM metaphorically “clutches” at him because she needs him to be at her side during the murder ordeal and afterwards, when they faced the King’s wrath. In his dreams, GW sees himself as HM's lifeline.
The young girl shaking her head copies Hyemyeong warning him (Ep at 6:31) not to tell the King because he had approved of the removal of the mother and the gag law.  
See that? 

That's why I pointed out earlier that when he teased the Princess about seeing her in the dreams, he was NOT referring to his NIGHTMARES. :wink:  He doesn’t know yet the connection.  And as you said, if he knew that HM was the young girl he's seeing in his nightmares, wouldn't it make sense for him to ASK HM directly what his dreams were all about? 

Regarding the dream vision of the young Princess – 

Honestly, I’m not sure whether he actually encountered HM when she was young or not. You see, the vision of the young Princess can be merely a generic image or symbolic persona – kinda like his conscience speaking to him. 

Do you know why I say this? It’s because EVEN IF he had forgotten HM because of his childhood amnesia, HM should have remembered him.  HM’s memory of their encounter when they were young (if ever there was such an encounter) should be intact. Unlike GW, she doesn't have any reported episode of amnesia. Double Couple amnesia would be too funny! 

Spoiler

However, I can say this: The writer might have left us an opening.

Remember when GW helped HM to stand up straight again, HM stared at him? She was drunk, sure. But she stared at him with that same look that she gave Choon Poong when they met for the first time. He was on the bridge (hahaha bridges are important).  And she thought that CP looked familiar but she dismissed it after CP joked about it.   

my%20sassy%20girl%20staring%20CP_zpstnol

Now, it’s possible that SHE was remembering GW from somewhere before when they encountered on the bridge. For a drunk, she had this focused look on her face, too. She could have been racking her brains, before she let out that disgusting burp. lol. 

my%20sassy%20girl%20in%20a%20trance_zpse

Then, afterwards, she could have repressed or dismissed this fleeting sense of recognition and forgotten about it the following day when she regained her sobriety.  After all, she could hardly tell him, “Hmmm…Do I know you from somewhere?” after their fight in the motel room. This would have been such a clichéd pick-up line and she already thought HE was a nasty thieving pervert. 

@WildDivine69 so that jealous and mean DY deliberately changed the words to vex HM?  Grrrrrr !

200.gif#3-grid1 

, "This is but a small token of my appreciation."Then HM comes, and we know the rest of the story at that point.

Fast Forward to episode 11-12(ep.6), to the moments after the maid told DY she saw GW and HM at the bookstore. Cue the creepy music, and DY looking at the Norigae while remembering her conversation with GW. What she heard him say according to the translations was, "This is token of my affection."  I was like WOW, I can't believe I missed that.

If we were to vote for the least favourite character I'd choose

1. The vile Minister Jung Ki Joon

2. The conniving Queen

3 The jealous and cunning DY

4. The no-brain, insolent sister

@flutterby06 quoted

I think Joo Won fans are lurkers and less expressive. B) Because I know I am. I just started to be expressive these days because he's gone. Because I miss him...:cry:

Joo won's thread has more than 4 millions views....... I know some of them are have spoken so adoringly of him . Surely this is the best chance to show their support. It doesn't take much to come out and say ...... FIGHTING JO WON !!!!!!! We're here for you .!!!!

DDy-I5yU0AErlxt.jpg

8 hours ago, cutestrobery said:

Oooph that xx-site<_<

I knew Joowon since Baker King . He has always beena good actor but i never know that he can be so expressive with just his eyes alone if not for this drama. I totally love him making it subtle

Do people expect him to cry , yell, and do action scenes all the time  to prove that he is a good actor? Honestly this is the first time i love him doing lovey dovey scenes more 

Lol. You've got an excellent point there. It would be tiring if he was always doing melodrama. To be versatile, he should try his hand in different projects, even a light romcom like this one.

Also, he wouldn't have acquired new fans if he stuck to one genre. @staygoldand I are newbies to the JW bandwagon. I don't do medical or legal dramas ... for health reason. (I'd be criticizing the episodes nonstop for irregularities and inconsistencies my brains would fry.) We would have missed this wonderful actor had he stayed within his comfort zone. 

I love gifs. I appreciate these gif makers

I like the speed of the gfs which gives a jerky and " jumpy " effect and makes it more expressive

Here are some gif maker's work . Good job.

When your sister starts pounding on your door

tumblr_orhtwoay4p1r1fzv0o4_r1_400.gif  tumblr_orhtwoay4p1r1fzv0o1_r2_400.gif

gif maker : dancerkai94

JUGULAE GW ?

tumblr_or4dl86L5v1r1fzv0o1_500.gif

Gif maker : dancerkai 94

Spoiler

tumblr_or4dl86L5v1r1fzv0o2_540.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_or4dl86L5v1r1fzv0o5_540.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_or4dl86L5v1r1fzv0o4_540.gif

tumblr_orfpp2SFpx1sp2kg8o1_500.gif  

Gif maker : p-b-e

Spoiler

tumblr_orfpp2SFpx1sp2kg8o2_500.gif

Thank you Sassypants for your all your interesting comments.

Before I slacken off , here are more  more gifs ..

THE OPENING TITLE

ISN'T THIS PRETTY ?

tumblr_oqqcekg4p11ugbqo0o1_500.gif

gif maker : triangularlily

tumblr_orsf2hyON71sp2kg8o2_400.gif  tumblr_orsf2hyON71sp2kg8o3_400.gif                

tumblr_orsf2hyON71sp2kg8o4_400.gif  tumblr_orsf2hyON71sp2kg8o5_400.gif

gif maker : p-b-e

Spoiler

tumblr_orsf2hyON71sp2kg8o1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_orsf2hyON71sp2kg8o6_400.gif

Your post makes me even more curious :crazy:

couple amnesia is a stretch but these two lovebirds must have met outside the palace. The princess habits of climbing up the wall seems to have started since her mother was dethroned. 

She has been reading those false  rumour spreading around about her mother that's why she was pissed in GW's dream. I think the only reason princess didn't recognize GW was because she also did't know that GW was the little boy that was with her (?)

On 7/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, Ana Paula Cionci said:

I am sorry guys, I have been reading this thread but as invisible as I like to be, I did not say (or in that case write?) anything. But I want to make myself clrealy that I am into this drama untill the end and I do not understand why so many people dislike this drama. I watch FFMY, and I like, but I still think this one is better. But anyway, I absolute agree with the theory about GW's dreams (and his father secret), but I am also thinking about the mask man. I do not think he is  WM because in the preview I had a feeling that he actually was the one who hurted GW and I do not think the mask man is in evil side (but perhaps he is a revenge person, I do not know). At the same time, I was wondering the reasons why the mask man are doing this (because is a fact that he does not like either the evil minister or the king) and I came up with the theory that the mask man is doing it because he wants to start a rebellion, because he wants revenge for what happened to the dethroned Queen and the death of the Prince CS (I think CS may be CP, but it is just a feeling that does not make sense). Perhaps the real reason why the dethroned Queen does not want to see her daughter (because is very obvious that she is the Court Lady Ahn) is because she does not want to see her envolved around all this bad stuff, because she knows the real truth and she knows that if the Princess is around, she could be the downfall of all the plan or the evil minister could use the princess for some dangerous thing hmm.

I've been meaning to answer this for awhile but I got distracted (side-eyeing @staygold and @lavender2love) Let me see if I can give you my 2 cents here. 

Q: Why is he targeting the both the evil Minister Jung and King at the same?

A: Because he’s trying to kill two birds with one stone. I believe he's been doing for quite some time.  

Let's start with the pamphlets he distributed. This is what's written on them.  

The Minister of the Left sits above the King. How can the Minister of the Left reign from above the King? He is drawn to power and driven mad with greed. Though the King has heard the stories, he is too foolish to do anything. They are both guilty of the downfall of Joseon. You will receive your judgment and punishment now. 

There's a reason the Masked Ghost is pretending to be Prince Chuseong. Prince Chuseong died a noble hero. By invoking the memory of a noble hero, he can use the people's sympathy, and set himself up as the RIGHT alternative to an evil Minister and a weak King when he later usurps the throne. 

He’s harnessing the moral outrage of the people at the King’s ineptness to get rid of the King. He’s calling for the ouster of he greedy Minister Jang from public office which puts pressure on the Minister to either begin his rebellion or lose it. lol. And he’s inducing fear among the other Ministers who took part in Prince Chuseong’s death.   

IMO, Prince Chuseong died in that fire. As I wrote earlier, there was no way he could have survived that conflagration unless he was the spawn of the devil.  More importantly, there was no way he would have FLED from death. It wouldn't be consistent with NOBLE character. Unless he was lying to his teeth, he told the King that he considered death his "just punishment” for losing the trust of the King and for failing to stop the plot. 

The essential thing to remember here is that both Prince Chuseong and deposed queen want NO PART in the vengeance, judgment or punishment that this Masked Ghost writes about in his pamphlet. I highly doubt that this Masked Ghost is acting at the behest of the deposed queen because his goals are contrary to her wishes. 

As you said, @Ana Paula Cionci she doesn’t want the Princess, and the Prince, involved in a power struggle. She sacrificed her motherhood so her children would live unharmed. She's remained in seclusion all this time. Even now that she's been discovered, she denies her ties to her children. She’s just content that her daughter is protected inside the palace. Didn't we see her eyes flicker when GW mentioned that he was helping his beloved woman find her mother? That was probably news she was happy to hear. And she's also content that her son is the heir presumptive, being the only male son of the king. She wants to preserve this status quo. 

Prince Chuseong had the same goal as the queen. If he wanted to, he could have escaped with the queen and the baby to safety, after he successfully killed all the traitors in her entourage. But he didn't. He risked his life and returned to the King in order to present to him the infant who's the “nation’s royal lineage”. Even if by some miracle he were to survive the fire, Prince Chuseong wouldn't reappear a decade later to accuse the King of foolishness when he already knew before he died that the King was foolish enough to fall for his Ministers' conspiracies. lol. Do you see it?  

Both the deposed Queen and Prince Chuseong offered their lives so the young Prince would someday ascend to the throne as the King's natural heir. They want  to preserve the monarchy.    

But the Masked Ghost definitely has a different agenda. He is in fact destabilizing and destroying the current monarchy. You see, there is no prince currently named to be next in line to the throne. The young Prince hasn’t been invested (or installed) as the Crown Prince so he isn’t yet recognized as the legitimate successor to the throne. And if his father TOO is dethroned because of some trumped-up charges like impotence and incompetence, then the young Prince also becomes ineligible to the throne. And the line of succession moves on to a different branch of the family.  

In my opinion, the Masked Ghost’s agenda poses a much bigger threat to the royal family than Minister Jang’s rebellion. Following the discovery of the illegal arms trade by GW, the traitors/rebels have been lying low, and the plot for rebellion is in disarray. You can say that they're rebuilding or reassessing their options. The Masked Ghost, however, is using their disorganization as an opportunity to create more confusion -- or anarchy if you will – among the people. He’s destabilizing the monarchy. Why? So he can usurp the power himself. In other words, he’s plotting a coup. 

Among the possible suspects for a coup leader, there's one person brilliant enough to mastermind it. I doubt it’s WolMyung. For one, his character isn’t the "brains" in an operation, but the "brawn" or the one to provide muscle power.  The Masked Ghost is able to pit two sides against each other, and that requires cunning and deviousness. WM, on the other hand, is a bodyguard, and he has a servile mentality. He needs somebody to command his actions, like the current Queen or his "sixth cousin", Minister Jang. lol. Also, Prince Chuseon gave him that scar. He wouldn't want to fight "in honor of" a man he tried to kill once. More importantly, WM isn’t of royal blood. Even if he sits on the throne, he won’t have a faction in the government to support him. 

For me, the logical choice is Choon Poong or summer breeze.

It has always bothered me that, of all people in Hanyang, he’s the only one able to recognize the identity of the Princess. In turn, the Princess too recognizes something familiar about his face. This is possible if they circulated in the same circle inside the palace walls, lol, or the Princess has detected a facial feature similar to her family members. Either way their familiarity with each other shouldn't be overlooked or discounted.

Secondly, it also bothers me how he stays au courant of the palace news. For instance, he knows the coming and goings of Officer Kang because Officer Kang lives inside the palace. But he cannot track the whereabouts of GW as easily because he lives outside the palace, specifically in a house with noisy women. (lol. That’s why he wasn’t expecting to see GW outside the minister’s house when he delivered the note with his bow-and-arrow.)

Lastly, his behavior and demeanor bother me. I pointed it out multiple times here.He tries to charm people but he tries to deceive them, too. He shows up everywhere to help out GW, the Princess, and Officer Kang yet he keeps out of sight of the shady characters. He acts very approachable, even a little clumsy, but he can become menacing in a split-second. He assists Officer Kang entrap the ministers, but he pretends to be innocent afterwards. If he can foretell how the evil plans of the Ministers, then why on earth doesn’t he do something about them HIMSELF? Why is he particularly interested in the affairs of GW and the Princess?

That’s what I mean by he’s killing two birds with one stone. He manipulates events behind the scenes so he can solve two problems with a single action. I believe he's been doing this from the start.

By eliminating both the evil Minister and the weak King, he gets the throne for himself. :D

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! So glad that JW's fans are so warm and thoughtful <3. You guys are like a small family. I am still figuring how Soompi Forum works (I haven't used forum since 2008) so bear with me. :)

On 7/7/2017 at 0:31 AM, packmule3 said:

Welcome, @greenanne to the thread. Hope you post some more (unlike these slacker sassypants, @WildDivine69 and @haymochi)  Go ahead and tell us your 3  favorite scenes from the romcom if you want.  I also read somewhere that, at the beginning, he found emoting hard because of that gat, the Korean hat. It would cover his face so he needed to angle his head in a certain way for the camera to see his facial expression...or something. 

@packmule3: Thank you so much! I don't know if I will be able to post more (Disclosure: I am a slacker) but I tend to write a lot in one post. I also tweet mostly about Joo Won so connect with me if anyone would like! (@greenannegables) My favorite scenes from MSG? I actually like all the scenes that Joo Won is in (LOL) but I keep coming back to 1) The chicken/drunken scene (LEGEND!!!!) 2) His pain when the princess told him that he didn't need to care for her (I can't pinpoint how he did it, but I felt his emotions and tore up a little) 3) The scene where he confessed his feelings for her (his face expressions were so subtle, but his feelings were so real to me). 

Thank you for sharing the fact about the Korean hat. I didn't know about that. I definitely can see some challenges of showing emotions under it; it may look easy but it is actually not. Also thanks to that hat, I got to see Joo Won's face from different camera angles. I love Joo Won in saguek (I love him in anything), but I must confess that I really miss seeing him in modern clothes and modern hairstyles while watching MSG. 

18 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

@greenanne, I am same as you. I created this account because to talk about him and his last drama..nice to meet you. :)

You are wondering if it's his choice or his agency's.. I know agency might have a big influence but I'm sure Joo Won knew what he was doing. He said it all the time that he chose it because of his fans as his fans wanted to see him in saeguk drama.

I also think that he chose this rom-com because he wanted to do something lighthearted. Joo Won said it a lot in his recent interviews that after his military duty ends he would like to work in more serious roles. So I think he wanted to do some sweet acting as long as he is in his early thirties.:)

@flutterby06: Hi! Yay. Nice to meet you too. I have been his fan since 2014 but I never engaged much in Soompi. It was like an one-way street. I read about him a lot, but I didn't know where to find his fans (it seems to me that people are scattered everywhere and also speak different languages). Only after he went to the army, did I feel really upset and a need to vent. I watched My Sassy Girl but couldn't find a place where I could share my thoughts and received some feedbacks (I have a feeling that not many international folks are watching the show). So I lurked around Soompi and read the comments here on a weekly basis. Yesterday, I was like, "That's it. I am just going to make an account and make some new friends!" 

I was always wondering about how much an artist's choice is influenced by an agency in general. While acting is a craft, I understand that an artist is not only working by himself, but is working with other people, under a company whose final goal is profit. The K-entertainment industry is tough and sometimes you may have to make decisions that you don't necessarily want to. With that in mind, I feel that I can't judge an artist by their project's choice because there are many factors that come into play (heck, I don't even feel like we can judge an actor by one drama alone, because of how fast-paced drama shooting works and how the shooting environment may not be the most postive). For example, if a joint production between two countries means expanding to a new market and reaching new audiences, it doesn't seem like a bad choice in the long run.

Coming back to Joo Won, he earned my solid respect for choosing Gaksital, Good Doctors, Ghost, and Fatal Intuition. These are not commercial-driven choices. Through his interviews, it appeared clear to me that he chose these projects and pitched to his agency because he was passionate about the roles and took pride in his acting career. Who would choose Gaksital, a product that can face a lot of backlash internationally, if the actor doesn't feel driven by the character and the story? Who would go with Good Doctors, a project that is so challenging, unless he feels moved by the character and wants to bring to life stories that many don't pay attention to? Why do Ghost? Musicals typically don't appeal to mass audience and require strenuous efforts as well as time. What is it about the non-romantic thriller Fatal Intuition that captures him besides his serious intention to challenge himself and change his image into a more grown, mature actor? Joo Won, for me, distinguishes himself from other actors of his generation because he is so passionate and willingly sacrifices many things for the sake of acting itself. (I can't say that other actors don't because I don't watch enough dramas/films to know every actor in his generation. But I do compare him with Hallyu stars and I hold him to higher level of standard.)

At the same time, I can't help but feel that some of his choices are affected heavily by his agency (I don't have anything against it; give-and-take is a part of a contracted partnership). For example, I noticed that he did a lot more projects in China after his agency became Chinese-owned. Or My Sassy Girl seems like production intentionally made to be marketed towards the Chinese market. While I don't know the stories behind the scene, I agree with you and choose to trust that Joo Won knows what he is doing. :)He seems very thoughtful when it comes to his work, as he plans to change his image in his 30s, or he is aware of things on set (as he shared on the killer interviews on Healing Camp). He isn't a blank slate with no thoughts. I think he is very smart. I just fear that he is a little too kind and nice to advocate for himself in such a scary industry. However, after all, he signs on with his agency to continue his career post-army, so he must have felt comfortable with the partnership and the company community that is supporting him. That's what is important. 

While it will always be a tug-of-war between business and art, money and acting as a craft, Joo Won, in his 20s, is truly admirable. He inspires me to be more hard-working and passionate too.

Whoa I talked so much!!!!!!!! Sorry!

19 hours ago, lavender2love said:

WELCOME ..... @greenanne !!! Whoosh..... number one NOOB post is HERE. Finally another rare JW fan has come to claim a spot as sassypants. Thank you. Yes we are friends here. Is your username a reference to Anne of Green Gables? I love the book and the movie. I have been wondering and still does, where are Joo Won's fans? Still stuck at Bridal Mask. Please unleash yourself here. Time to ferret them out.

Thank you for your insight into JW's acting being subtle but expressing with his eyes.... (some viewers mistook his talents for for underused ..in xx-site ) We think his character is so well written here as opposed to the anti-male characterization of the bullied, weak, idiotic buffoon. ( @packmule3 first broached this idea ) She is our resident think tank and master reviewer.

Hi @lavender2love, thank you so much! I would never make an account on Soompi if it were not for Joo Won since I am normally very swamped with my studies and internships. I am also not a K-drama avid audience in general. I would watch K-drama occasionally to indulge in fantasies but I don't watch much television to be honest. And OMG, yes, my username is a reference to Anne of Green Gables! You are the first one who realizes that in my online life! I love the book and the 1985 version so much. Anne is my favorite literature character of all time. 

I became a Joo Won's fan after Cantabile Tomorrow. I was actually a fan of the anime and I loved Shim Eun Kyung. But to my own detriment, I ended up feeling so connected with Joo Won's acting and personality. I asked myself, "Who is this guy? He is the perfect Chiaki. I can relate to him. I root for him." I remembered searching him up and was surprised to learn that he was born in 1987, which meant that he belonged to the generation of many Hallyu stars. But his list of dramas was so unique with many interesting choices. He also didn't seem to have an international fanbase with crazy followers swooning over his look. I was always expecting a template when it comes to Korean male actors, but Joo Won really stood out. I was so curious about who he was, so I continued exploring Good Doctor (my most favorite!), Gaksital, Ojakgyo Brothers, 1N2D, etc. I must admit that I was hesitated to determine if I should really go with my adoration for him, because I was skeptical of the entertainment industry. I always expected actors to frame themselves in certain way and answer interviews that may only appear genuine to keep their images. I thought that the agency would give them a script to remember and just answer questions accordingly as planned. I watched the episode in which Joo Won was crying when parting with his hyungs in 1N2D over and over again as I couldn't distinguish if he was being real (I cried so much but I was skeptical). But for Joo Won, after three years of following his journey and watching countless interviews, I can no longer doubt his honesty and sincerity. Furthermore, other actors say many consistently good things about him that really come together. 

I have been curious about where Joo Won's fans are too. I read the website joowoncutie.wordpress.com a lot (it was so well made by Soompi fans) and reached out to @mrdimples through email before. I also followed a couple of social media groups made by fans from different countries, especially the Instagram page by Joo Won's fans in Korea. Recently, I also read some Facebook posts by the admin of Joo Won's fanpage in France. 

Even though I mostly avoid K-drama stardom, I really do take pride in being Joo Won's fan. Throughout the years, I read many blog posts, forums, Tweets, and articles and have noticed that for Joo Won's loyal fans are generally mature, thoughtful, reasonable and very kind. I was so often blown away my the amount of good writing poured into analyzing his acting skill or the amount of work going into preparing gifts for him. I also appreciate how Joo Won's fans like him beyond his look, going deeper to adore his acting and his personality. Yesterday, I actually just learned that Korean fans made him a mural as well as a forest where they grew trees by themselves (I am so slow). That's so thoughtful and very Joo Won! When you have fans like that, I think you must exude a certain kind of goodness and kindess.

My biggest regret is that I didn't have a chance to watch Joo Won's V-live. It seems like he shares so many things. I saw a screenshot of him sleeping in his room recently and I was like, "Oh my god can someone please tell me the context?" I also don't understand Korean and miss out on a lot of information about him, I think. :angry:

As for My Sassy Girl, I know that the reviews have been mixed and I am just going to offer my two cents here. Please feel free to disagree since this is all subjective. I am also going to not discuss about his project choice because it is such a complicated matter with too many factors involved ($, contract, agency, joint production, schedule) and one choice alone doesn't reflect an actor's talent or values or wit. 

First, I totally appreciate his character. You are so right. +1 for a male character that is not acting cool, cold, aggressive, obsessive, or unnaturally cute. I don't like how K-dramas often write male characters like that. Even Joo Won points this out in an interview, saying that he realizes female audiences often like male characters written in that way (I love him so much for saying that he is not like that in real life at all). While it seems like most heroes' roles in romance are similar, Guyn Woo is very different on his own. He is cautious, filial, loving, reserved, respectful and reasonable. I would assume that because of these traits, his character appears uninteresting. Young, immature audiences generally would swoon over a male figure who is more rebellious, blunt, and flirty (anyone dislikes Kim Tan in The Heirs as much as I did?). I would even admit that I didn't totally love his character in Ojakgyo Brothers either, because while that character has his own scars and stories, I didn't like how typically violent and obsessive he was before he started dating our heroine. As for whether his talent is underused in this show, I honestly thought a lot about this. By the way, it is so fun to see many people discuss about his acting (no matter whether they think it is good or bad), because a) that means his acting is the main part of Joo Won that draws people in B) he is always so consistently good and impressive that people have really high expectation. Now, I admitted that I wish GW's character could be more complex and challenging, so I could see a little bit of Yong Pal, Lee Kang To, Shi Won, Cha Yoo Jin again, but I can't find any of those characters in Guyn Woo. Guyn Woo is definitely Guyn Woo, as Joo Won made it so. However, a less complex character doesn't mean mediocre acting. In fact, an one-dimensional character actually requires more skills from an actor to make it interesting and evoke feelings from viewers. I find it lucky that I could see Joo Won in this role, because I get to discover another side of his acting, even when I thought he has tried all the roles possible. His portrayal of GW has been consistent (which shows thoughtful planning from his end) and I would even argue, risky. We have known Joo Won to be very expressive, but he toned down his facial expressions and acted mostly with his eyes. I think that says a lot, because he risks being misunderstood by mainstream viewers who may not connect with the type of acting that requires some level of perceptiveness (I am so borderline biased here), in order to go beyond his own ability and fully deliver the role as how he interpreted it. In fact, some viewers dislike his acting in previous roles but really love him here because of how he didn't go crazy with his face expressions but still delivered the full emotions of the character.

Secondly, I would be honest that I don't feel too excited about the script. Because this is a pre-produced show, I did have higher expectation. I think the actors, PD, and other staff members woking on the technical end did a great job shooting scenes that actually mean something (especially scenes of the princess standing under the tree or reading her father's letter while GW closed the door). But the script! As a Joo Won's fan, I want the story so bad to be better. The story is the bone of a show. It makes us root for characters and tune in each week to see where things will go. It makes us cry, laugh, and feel emotionally invested. Tomorrow Cantabile hit me, because it was such a poignant story about friendship, the process of overcoming yourself, and learning how to love others (which I personally learn from). Good Doctor made me cry every single episode, because I learn about human values that we should all strive for one episode after another. Gaksital destroyed me because of how wars ruined their boyhood, innocence, friendship. So this is totally a taste thing, but for me, the storyline of MSG doesn't hit. I also didn't watch the movie before, so I couldn't like the story by seeing it through the lens of providing premise to the movie. I wish the writer created more conflicts from the beginning of the show. There are so much potentials that were not fully explored in the story, such as the relationship between the Princess and the Queen (I would love to see more of her traumatized childhood), the relationship between the small Princess and small Guyn Woo (why couldn't they push it to earlier episodes?), the relationship between the Princess and the small Prince (I want it to go deeper than cute), the relationship between  Guyn Woo and his parents (it is so barely touched). However, I sometimes also think that the pace may be strategic. Maybe they want to have later episodes with more angst to raise ratings? I honestly like shows that are planned out like that more than shows with really amazing first half (Cheese in the Trap) and terrible second half. 

I also feel curious about the rating. As much as I want the rating to lead the race, I must admit that I would not be surprised if MSG's rating becomes the third runner, or worse, the rating may drop to Cantabile Tomorrow's level. But the rating has been consistently in the range of 8-11%. That's pretty good, compared to the strange case of 7 Day Queen (seriously that show is so good and the rating is just incomprehensible). I don't think it has much to do with the star power's appeal (look at Saimdang), so it must be the story and the acting? 

Screw it, I want the next four episodes to be so good that the rating shoots through the sky lol. 

Wow I have talked a lot. Sorry, I just feel like I have audience for the first time. Maybe this should be a post for Joo Won's thread rather than My Sassy Girl lol.

If you guys are reading through my nonsense, thank you so much. Let me know what you think!

@greenanne you wrote an insightful post there :lol:

hmm yeah regarding the rating. Remember that one ep of this drama did hit the 1st spot??? Haha.... i'm kinda worried that it might be on the 3rd spot from next week since both its competitors are ending. I guess we just have to enjoy the show while we can...

Just from my personal opinion, JooWon is a very passionate actor. I know from the drama choices he picked like Gaksital, etc.  He is one of top among his peers.. and i would have expected him to be among Kim Soo Hyun, Song Jong Ki, Lee Jong Suk , etc. i think he tried to appeal to different audiences which is good.. where people can fangirl over him. As for Cantabile, i know he is good but since i watched the original, i can't really get into it. This is why it's good that he chose different genres for his projectsZ each of them appeal to different audiences.

@packmule3 The conclusion of your meticulous expose is explosive.....  ! The Sherlock Holmes element in you is evident.

Wow ... !! Choon Poong is lusting for the throne ? Then he must have royal blood ! Gosh ..... the plot deepens.

200.gif#32-grid1

@packmule3 quote :

or me, the logical choice is Choon Poong or summer breeze.

--------------------------skips ------------------------------

That’s what I mean by he’s killing two birds with one stone. He manipulates events behind the scenes so he can solve two problems with a single action. I believe he's been doing this from the start.

By eliminating both the evil Minister and the weak King, he gets the throne for himself. :D

------------------------ end of quote ---------------------------

Wow ..........!! Good job !!! Your process of unearthing or unmasking is logically laid out. I had to wear difeirent character lens to figure out the " how So "

giphy.gif

However , I think if CP is ambitious for the throne, why would he help Queen Han ? ( the disposed queen ) She would be of no use to him since her son Wonja is the next in line . No doubt this under-aged and uncrowned prince is easy to disposed of, but CP had never at any time tried to harm him. Also if the king is removed how is it going to work out for HM? She too was willing to make sacrifice for Wonja by marrying someone she has no feelings for . ( even though he is gorgeous ... hehe ) That's just a passing dizziness. Give me GW anytime.

I hope CP turns out to be less ominous.

@greenanne quote :

Hi @lavender2love, thank you so much! I would never make an account on Soompi if it were not for Joo Won since I am normally very swamped with my studies and internships. I am also not a K-drama avid audience in general. I would watch K-drama occasionally to indulge in fantasies but I don't watch much television to be honest. And OMG, yes, my username is a reference to Anne of Green Gables! You are the first one who realizes that in my online life! I love the book and the 1985 version so much. Anne is my favorite literature character of all time. 

Thank you for coming in and giving us so much insight into Joo Won. There's so much you packed into your essay that I'd like to digest it a little more and come back to it later. I like what you wrote about Joo Won's character. I have watched only ONE of his drama Yong Pal and so feel inadequate to comment on anything about him. So yours is a welcome eye opener.

@WildDivine69... GOT IT .... the part where that horrible DY tries to cast doubt into HM's mind about GW. See how cleverly she uses words to her own end. What a**** . I hope her fall is satisfactory,

4 hours ago, greenanne said:

Throughout the years, I read many blog posts, forums, Tweets, and articles and have noticed that for Joo Won's loyal fans are generally mature, thoughtful, reasonable and very kind.

Did you read that @packmule3? No wonder we liked him! B) Thank you @greenanne for writing about JW. I am sure your post has put JW's other dramas on many people's list.

Jokes apart I feel he is someone who doesn't need to hide behind style, mannerisms and gimmicks to act. Whatever substantial the script has given him and OYS they have added to it and done very well.

About the dubious summer breeze! What if he is CS's follower or son? His age is not old enough for him to have been CS's follower or guard.  But he is older than GW. He couldn't be the son because he would have been murdered or exiled (and kept an eye on) as soon as his CS died. GW's father is sitting on some big secret that is for sure. Ah! Too complex for me! I will go stare at GW's dimples a bit and come back.

tumblr_or77i3CUH11ql0375o2_500.gif

cr: http://level-upper.tumblr.com/

Archived