[Drama 2017] My Sassy Girl 엽기적인 그녀

mysignisflower

Hi everyone! I just made an account with Soompi and thought that I would like to say Hi. As a Joo Won fan, I have been silently reading this thread for a while and it gave me so much joy to read positive comments and see that people take the show seriously. I am excited to be friends with everyone and share my thoughts about My Sassy Girl <3.

I have a lot of thoughts on this show as a) this is Joo Won's last project (tears) b) it is a heroine-centric show c) the show is romance-driven (I think so personally but please feel free to disagree!) d) i have never seen Joo Won act like this before (his acting is so subtle). I want to give him so much credit for toning down his face expressions (because we know he could be very expressive) and acting with only his eyes e) i wonder if this project is joo won's choice or his agency's choice f) oys is killing it h) gah the little prince is adorable. K-entertainment industry, don't you dare ruining his innocence! 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this gif with the Masked Ghost in the SBS director site shared by @flutterby06 It's a montage of a few of the fight scenes in the romcom.  Sigh.

It would have been cool if the Masked Ghost was our scholar GW, but GW has another role to fulfill.  

Spoiler

RO23140991_w1506_h838.gif

Welcome, @greenanne to the thread. Hope you post some more (unlike these slacker sassypants, @WildDivine69 and @haymochi)  Go ahead and tell us your 3  favorite scenes from the romcom if you want.  I also read somewhere that, at the beginning, he found emoting hard because of that gat, the Korean hat. It would cover his face so he needed to angle his head in a certain way for the camera to see his facial expression...or something. 

@WildDivine69, Good luck with your training today. Stay Sassy!!

@staygold, that Qing fashion hat is called a sailor's hat here (or to be precise, a "Dixie cup" named after those disposal drinking cups.)  Popeye the Sailor wore one. :)  I guess your trick to post pictures of Joo Won worked, eh? We have a JW fan delurking. :wink: Did you tell us your favorite scenes? Or are you still waiting for torrid kissing -- Joseon style? 

Image result for popeye gif

14 minutes ago, WildDivine69 said:

@packmule3 Lol, I' promise I'll be here more after tomorrow. I tried not to be a slacker, but I only have one eye open right now. Super tired.

You and @lavender2love have the best conversations, sometimes it is hard not to just sit and read.

Good night! 

Here's a primer on "Tokens." 

Token of love 

Spoiler

Ring from King for deposed Queen

my%20sassy%20girl%20token%203_zpssfdmsfy

Token of affection

Spoiler

Hairpiece won by GW for HM

my%20sassy%20girl%20token%201_zps9qlhya3

Token of appreciation

Spoiler

also known as Consolation Prize

my%20sassy%20girl%20token%202_zpscc3jy1t

Token of New York City

Spoiler

A bus token 

Image result for nyc token

We should give DY -- and GW's sister -- a one-way bus palanquin fare out of town. 

I so want GW's sister (Gyun Hee is her name right?) to learn her lesson the hard way. I thought she would be an endearing little sister like Wonja... but nope....she is the epitome of airhead and tryhard.

that hairpin!!!! Gyun Woo hasn't got the chance to put it on Hae Myung 's hair. Is it some kind of sign that the otp will be apart before he gave it to her?  No no no.. please don't say amnesia about the princess. I'm so gonna shoot 1000 arrows and hunt down the writer if it  ever happen !!!:blink::angry:

8 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I so want GW's sister (Gyun Hee is her name right?) to learn her lesson the hard way. I thought she would be an endearing little sister like Wonja... but nope....she is the epitome of airhead and tryhard.

that hairpin!!!! Gyun Woo hasn't got the chance to put it on Hae Myung 's hair. Is it some kind of sign that the otp will be apart before he gave it to her?  No no no.. please don't say amnesia about the princess. I'm so gonna shoot 1000 arrows and hunt down the writer if it  ever happen !!!:blink::angry:

Did you notice Gyun Woo's neat sleight of hand when his sister barged (doesn't she know how to knock?!!) in his room while he was eating that fig...errr... persimmon? He immediately flicked away his love note from HM so his sister wouldn't see it. 

He'd rather do a fake tussle over the sweets than fight over his sweetheart's letter.  

my%20sassy%20girl%20love%20not_zpsxnr6ul

On 05/07/2017 at 7:10 PM, lavender2love said:

So nice for the fans to show their love and encouragement. When was this ?

I know Kim Tae Hee sent a food truck to Joo Won in the beginning, her co-star in Yong Pal. 

Does anyone know whether OYS has one too ?

Yes..the food truck from Kim Tae Hee.

Joo Won said in his v-live that though usually he gets food truck from fans but this time he got a lot more with a lot of food.That everyone including himself got surprised. I think as it is the last time before military enlistment his fans put more effort into it..which touched him a lot.

Oh Yeon Seo received from some..But I don't know who could be from celebrity, producers and fans.

They also received another coffee truck addressing Joo Won, Oh Yeon Seo and the actor who plays the King. I don't know who sent it though. 

(edit: Sent by actress Jeon In Hwa)

Oh.. I just saw Oh Yeon Seo uploaded this backstage photo of SBS Drama Awards 2016 with Joo Won. As far as I remember they presented an award together. I love how they were wearing matching outfit. Don't know if it was intentional.. it could be.. Because these two also wore matching Black&White in the radio program promotion. 

joo-won-oh-yeon-seo.jpg

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

They also received another coffee truck addressing Joo Won, Oh Yeon Seo and the actor who plays the King. I don't know who sent it though. 

This food truck was sent by Jeon In Hwa. She's close to both Joo Won and Oh Yeon Seo. 

She and Joo Won acted together in Kim Tak Gu, King of Baking back in 2010. And they are still really close, I recently saw that BoA was following Jeon In Hwa on IG, and vice versa. 

Whilst, Oh Yeon Seo and Jeon In Hwa are both from the same company "Imagine Asia." 

I loved the scene after the lantern festival when the princess just manages to return to her chambers. She asks GW for her ring and he says he will return if she promises to behave according to her status! Not to be impolite to him and treat him as the Prince's teacher. She smiles sweetly and promises. As soon as she gets the ring she kicks his leg and asks him to forget it as well! She fooled me along with GW! :lol: I didn't see that kick coming! Ouch!

Another scene I liked was the fermented stinky skate scene in ep 3! :lol: When the princess offers him the food, GW says 'One should choose wisely one's friends and what one eats wisely!' She anyways proceeds to stuff it into his mouth! His face!!! Oh poor GW!! 

He remembers she loved the fish and delivered it to her when she was on a hunger strike in ep 9. He hopes she doesn't misunderstand his intentions! And she eats the fish I think for the first time and likes it. (In ep 3 she passed out before eating any.) The Princess chose her friend and her food very wisely after all!

Bit of googlery on Stinky skate (Hongeo): It is on the grossest food list because it smells of strong ammonia (reminiscent of a public urinal!!) The smell won’t leave you for hours after you’ve had the dish, lingering on your clothes, skin and hair!!!!! Now go figure why the Princess ordered this for GW! :tongue:

@packmule3 This is my first GW drama! He is such a good actor and so so easy on the eyes!!:wub:

@airplanegirl, oh I thought it was Jeon In Hwa..Because I thought I read it somewhere Jeon In Hwa sent a food truck in MSG site..But I wasn't sure how she was related to Oh Yeon Seo. Now I know..Thanks a lot ..Nice to see you again in this thread. :D

I love how adorable the relationship between Joo Won and Jeon In Hwa.. She was a famous actress and he was just a rookie back then but they formed such a nice mom-son like relationship in their first project.

2 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

I recently saw that BoA was following Jeon In Hwa on IG, and vice versa.

So Mom (Jeon In Hwa) approves the daughter-in-law (BoA) this time unlike drama.. :tongue: 

Woo hoo ......sassy pants slackers are popping in again. FIGHTING ... friends !!!!

I just have this small window of time to join you ......!. No...!  that does not count as slacking. See me burn up my calories... !!

200.gif#23-grid1

6 hours ago, greenanne said:

Hi everyone! I just made an account with Soompi and thought that I would like to say Hi. As a Joo Won fan, I have been silently reading this thread for a while and it gave me so much joy to read positive comments and see that people take the show seriously. I am excited to be friends with everyone and share my thoughts about My Sassy Girl <3.

I have a lot of thoughts on this show as a) this is Joo Won's last project (tears) b) it is a heroine-centric show c) the show is romance-driven (I think so personally but please feel free to disagree!) d) i have never seen Joo Won act like this before (his acting is so subtle). I want to give him so much credit for toning down his face expressions (because we know he could be very expressive) and acting with only his eyes e) i wonder if this project is joo won's choice or his agency's choice f) oys is killing it h) gah the little prince is adorable. K-entertainment industry, don't you dare ruining his innocence! 

WELCOME ..... @greenanne !!! Whoosh..... number one NOOB post is HERE. Finally another rare JW fan has come to claim a spot as sassypants. Thank you. Yes we are friends here. Is your username a reference to Anne of Green Gables? I love the book and the movie. I have been wondering and still does, where are Joo Won's fans? Still stuck at Bridal Mask. Please unleash yourself here. Time to ferret them out.

Thank you for your insight into JW's acting being subtle but expressing with his eyes.... (some viewers mistook his talents for for underused ..in xx-site ) We think his character is so well written here as opposed to the anti-male characterization of the bullied, weak, idiotic buffoon. ( @packmule3 first broached this idea ) She is our resident think tank and master reviewer.

Sassypants .......I would love to respond to your interesting post on the next page and then I would lose my post in this page.but I have to run.

Take a rain check okay ?

Leaving you with this until later...

ADORABLE WONJA IS WISE BEYOND HS YEARS.

Can we say Gyun Woo sabu our NATIONAL TREASURE is doing a good job with him imparting pearls of wisdom, But of course he has an ulterior motive, He steals kisses from his sister.... !!!

DEFJrdiU0AACwbM.jpg

Oooph that xx-site<_<

I knew Joowon since Baker King . He has always beena good actor but i never know that he can be so expressive with just his eyes alone if not for this drama. I totally love him making it subtle

Do people expect him to cry , yell, and do action scenes all the time  to prove that he is a good actor? Honestly this is the first time i love him doing lovey dovey scenes more 

@lavender2love yes we slackers are back! So you aren't allowed to slack off either. Keep posting lol :tongue:

So Jeon In Hwa is close with Joo Won as well. Heeheee.. if she is following BoA, that's mean she is approved already.

oow yes @packmule3 since you mentioned about him hiding Haemyung's love letter.. it made me rewatch the scene as well. He looks super annoyed when she barked inside his room without even knocking. That girl knows no manner... even GW seems to adore wonja more than her. She is like a pain in the richard simmons 

On 7/6/2017 at 5:26 AM, packmule3 said:

@flutterby06

Did you post this on that other site?

@packmule3, I had to do it..She was asking for it.

I mean...how could someone write a long recap on something which she didn't like.. why would she.. It's like she intentionally tried to say mean things about MSG is subtle way.. Except she's very obvious!

@haymochi, you're welcome. :)

Just imagine our lead characters as two tennis players, playing hard against each other at the US Tennis Open. She serves, he returns with a strong forehand. She slices it, he lobs. She spins, he smashes. She volleys, he hits the ball to a corner. Only a dunce would go and say after the game, “Whoa! I really admire that cute tennis ball. It did a pretty good job of bouncing between courts.”

And exactly.. If she likes the QP its okay, But if she has to wonder what HM and GW see in each other and HM should accept QP just so she can admire QP and he stayed in the drama, it's ridiculous. This kind of recap is way to useless. 

I wish people who complain that the story is slow would TRY TO keep up with the story.

Lol. I can assure you that they’re finding it slow because they're encounter difficulties in following half the content of the romcom. It’s hard to appreciate the fine points of the story when they expect instant gratification. For example, they want to know where the queen is NOW, who CP truly is NOW, why Officer Kang is not pursuing HM NOW, what the evil ministers are plotting NOW, what the King is doing about the conspiracy NOW, what GW and the Princess will do next NOW. 

As I said in an earlier post, their understanding will come in due time. Instead of making the drama conform to their demands and expectation, they can try to explore WHY the story runs the way it does. 

Yes..there's quite a lot of things happening around but still why some people are complaining that this drama is slow is something don't understand. I personally think that the pacing of this drama is good. It didn't rushed with the romance and the political suspense like  @packmule3 mentioned is a sub-plot, is going quite well. 

On 7/6/2017 at 7:19 AM, fourleafclover said:

@packmule3 @flutterby06

Regarding that site...

I'd like to say that it was only the recapper's opinion and not the opinion of the site. However, I have noticed that more often than not, most of their recappers write-off dramas if it doesn't fit their criteria list, and imo, it's a very narrowed list.

I know... That's why I reacted as that. I've no problem with constructive criticism.. But to me it looked like she was very one-eyed and took the recap as a chore. Though I'm a big fan of Joo Won and was looking very much forward to MSG. And after watching the 1st episode I myself thought that the starting was not that good and well-organized. I mainly started enjoying the drama from 2nd(1 hour) episode. So If someone needs more time to appreciate this drama, I would definitely understand that.

But if someone watches 11 episode of a romantic historical and finds no reason behind why the leads attract each other then I think she should stop watching that drama, let alone recap it. I have stopped watching many Romantic drama because I found the relationship illogical or unlikable because in a romantic drama romance is the major focus.

1 hour ago, cutestrobery said:

Oooph that xx-site<_<

I knew Joowon since Baker King . He has always beena good actor but i never know that he can be so expressive with just his eyes alone if not for this drama. I totally love him making it subtle

Do people expect him to cry , yell, and do action scenes all the time  to prove that he is a good actor? Honestly this is the first time i love him doing lovey dovey scenes more 

I first watched him in KBS World in Good Doctor which was a very solid proof of how awesome of an actor Joo Won is. After that I saw Tomorrow Cantabile and Baker King.. I forgot which one I saw first..But anyways, after watching three of his dramas I thought he was very talented as in each of his character he became someone different. After watching Tomorrow Cantabile, I thought "Wow! he's not only good in serious roles but also in comedy and he's also very handsome.  It's like I'm meeting someone new." And after that I started watching all of his drama online and was glad that I chose my most favorite actor well.. With each of his character he creates a new identity.  

In MSG the way he plays Gyun Woo make me believe that Joo Won is Gyun Woo.

I have seen many people who likes him complaining why he didn't chose more complex character. But as his fan I think chose very well. I'm glad I met this Gyun Woo.

While Good Doctor and Bridal Mask his my most favorite drama of Joo Won, I absolutely love it that Joo Won played Gyun Woo..His cuteness and sweetness needed to be recorded as a drama. :wub:

@greenanne, I am same as you. I created this account because to talk about him and his last drama..nice to meet you. :)

You are wondering if it's his choice or his agency's.. I know agency might have a big influence but I'm sure Joo Won knew what he was doing. He said it all the time that he chose it because of his fans as his fans wanted to see him in saeguk drama.

I also think that he chose this rom-com because he wanted to do something lighthearted. Joo Won said it a lot in his recent interviews that after his military duty ends he would like to work in more serious roles. So I think he wanted to do some sweet acting as long as he is in his early thirties.:)

@lavender2love, I think Joo Won fans are lurkers and less expressive. B) Because I know I am. I just started to be expressive these days because he's gone. Because I miss him...:cry:

1 hour ago, lavender2love said:

Woo hoo ......sassy pants slackers are popping in again. FIGHTING ... friends !!!!

Yeah.. I'll admit it I was slacking..But I was too sleepy these days to properly respond. So I saw all of you post here, counted how many pages I have to go back and kept thinking about what I would say when I post here... and then went to a long deep sleep.

2 hours ago, staygold said:

I loved the scene after the lantern festival when the princess just manages to return to her chambers. She asks GW for her ring and he says he will return if she promises to behave according to her status! Not to be impolite to him and treat him as the Prince's teacher. She smiles sweetly and promises. As soon as she gets the ring she kicks his leg and asks him to forget it as well! She fooled me along with GW! :lol: I didn't see that kick coming! Ouch!

Do you know which popular kdrama GW copied that hand gesture from when he said he'd forget her indiscretions? This one:

Spoiler

my%20sassy%20girl%20hand%20gesture_zpsio

It bugs me because I know I've seen it from somewhere but I can't remember. It isn't the "Kojo!" hand gesture popularized by So Ji Sub's character in My Master's Sun. 

And the kick was funny. Talk about ingratitude! He was kicked by the pair of shoes he bought for HER. Free Smiley tongue in cheek

Another scene I liked was the fermented stinky skate scene in ep 3! :lol: When the princess offers him the food, GW says 'One should choose wisely one's friends and what one eats wisely!' She anyways proceeds to stuff it into his mouth! His face!!! Oh poor GW!! 

He remembers she loved the fish and delivered it to her when she was on a hunger strike in ep 9. He hopes she doesn't misunderstand his intentions! And she eats the fish I think for the first time and likes it. (In ep 3 she passed out before eating any.) The Princess chose her friend and her food very wisely after all!

Bit of googlery on Stinky skate (Hongeo): It is on the grossest food list because it smells of strong ammonia (reminiscent of a public urinal!!) The smell won’t leave you for hours after you’ve had the dish, lingering on your clothes, skin and hair!!!!! Now go figure why the Princess ordered this for GW! :tongue:

Ewww. It really sounds unappetizing. I know you might find this comment dumb but I prefer fish that tastes like chicken :wacko: (specifically chicken breast which is the blandest part of the chicken).  If the fish taste too fishy, then it would be like eating Little Mermaid and her family. I'm not sure if I've eaten skate before. I think I've had it steamed -- with ginger, scallions, soy sauce and red wine? -- no let me edit this later and look through my recipe book.

Eating habits. That's one of the first things that a newly-formed couple would have to compromise on. And I found the contrast here cute. GW was so fastidious with his food palate and his table etiquette. And across from him, we had this Princess with her peasant-like tastes and manners. Personally, I wouldn't mind the stinky fish and kimchi (I'm not really into kimchi, lol) but for a virtual stranger to shove that food into my mouth with her/his own hand is too gross! How unsanitary! I'm gagging at the mere thought of it.

As for the quotes. lol. I think it's funny how he spurts out these random quotes out of nowhere. Is there really a person who lives according to quotations and sayings? He would be such a partypooper. 

This is my first GW drama! He is such a good actor and so so easy on the eyes!!:wub:

For me, too. I didn't find his characters (or the plots) appealing in the other kdramas. I tried to watch them, too. I'm not into legal and medical dramas. I can't complain about his acting. He's more understated and restrained than the other actors I've watched recently, and that's fine because of his role here. I especially like the way the character GW flirts because the actor himself looks nonthreatening and virtuous. 

See here? You and I know that GW was flirting with her There was absolutely no need for him to stick his face that close to HM's when he could have just told her from where he was sitting, that her book was upside down. lol.  

my%20sassy%20girl%20unside%20down%20book

If ever a guy did this to me -- encroach on my personal bubble while challenging me to an eye-staring contest -- I'd read that as a "player" move. However, with this character and THIS actor Joo Won,  I'd be confused. I'd wonder if I had just imagine HIS INTENTION.  If it was just in my head.... Because he didn't look like the "type" to behave like that. hahahaha. "Good" guys like him make "good" girls like us lose some "good" sleep at night. ^_^

And that was how Hyemyeong felt when she was with him here. She was always so sure of herself. So imperative when she gave orders. So confident when she talked to guys like Officer Kang. But with GW, he upset her world order.

@lavender2love You're embarrassing me. :) Everybody here has interesting viewpoints. I like reading them. The more eclectic, the better we understand our show. So come on out, lurkers! 

Archived