[Drama 2017] My Sassy Girl 엽기적인 그녀

mysignisflower

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like ep 3 & 4 much more than 1 & 2 and think next week episode seems promising from the preview. However I can see why it may not appeal to the general public and ratings may suffer, esp when the other dramas in the same time slot are rather well written.  

This is Joo Won's last drama before enlistment and his first sageuk. So no matter what and how the story will become, I will continue to watch for the pretty faces, colourful costumes and beautiful cinematography :D

1 hour ago, mrdimples said:

Why are you always so awesome @jeonghyang? Thank you for your gifs! 

@nonski chingu, I am seldom on soompi these days. I can barely watch the dramas I wanna watch, LOL. 

To everyone else enjoying MSG, Annyeong! 

chingu @mrdimples bogoshipda!

I am active on at least one thread and been meaning to be active here for Joo Won and be my dongsaeng @jeonghyang's partner on recapping but sometimes reality is way too different.

I hope I can update all my works till next week so I can join, but I will still watch even if not live

The action scenes in the first(1&2) episode were really cool.. the cinematography and costumes are pretty.. But the story in the first episode was not very much organized though. 

But the best thing about first episode was seeing him in Qing Dynasty costumes.. He was so adorable in that scene with his cute expressions.. loved it. :heart:

DA-du3iUMAImJ8U.jpg

Saw the second episode(3&4) today..It is funnier and more organized than the first one. Hope they will keep it up. MSG fighting. 

4 hours ago, finebyme said:

I thought the ring was given to her by her mum, but I guess it is from a lover?

I thought so too but I think officer Kang gave her that ring. Jung Shin of CNBlue

btw, hello chingu. 

7 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

oh i thought they ared airing 3 episodes this week because 1 and 2 have been out on all the sites since early eveng yesterday

hello chingu, 

Ep 3 and 4 are out already. Just watched it a few minutes ago. 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:26 PM, RobinM said:

This princess is really trashy and horrible. She needs to change quickly if I am going to continue this.

@RobinM, these are too of my favorite actors so I hope her character mellow down. I know they are trying to give a modern feel to historical characters, but a princess that loves to sneak out of the palace at night and get drunk is so unappealing, especially in a historical drama where it was next to impossible to sneak out. It also appears that she has no sense of the political storm of the palace. Maybe she does and we'll see more of that later, but at this moment she's boorish and a drunk--so unappealing. 

Maybe after her apparent kidnapping in the episode next week they'll tone her down tad. She's definitely a sassy girl.

7 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

@RobinM, these are too of my favorite actors so I hope her character mellow down. I know they are trying to give an modern feel to historical characters, but a princess that loves to sneak out of the palace at night and get drunk is so unappealing, especially in a historical drama where it was next to impossible to sneak out. It also appears that she has no sense of the political storm of the palace. Maybe she does and we'll see more, but at this moment she's boorish and a drunk--so unappealing. 

Maybe after her apparent kidnapping in the episode next week they'll tone her down tad. She's definitely a sassy girl.

I watched the first episode (1A and 1B) and found that it's not funny at all!  I had no idea what the story is about before I started this. I loved JW and OYS, but I couldn't get into this drama... sigh... Maybe if the sassy girl is not a princess, but a commoner who somehow got into the JW's noble household, instead of palace setting, and get away from palace politics... 

My Sassy Girl 

tumblr_oqubuedcyQ1s8t96qo1_540.png

I’M OFFICIALLY IN LOVE! After a disappointing string of spring dramas, My Sassy Girl (and maybe Seven Day Queen) may just save my spring kdrama season. Ironically, prior to the premiere MSG was the one of the bunch I was the least looking foward to; it was in the I’m-checking-this-one-out-because-Joo-Won-is-in-it category, but now after finishing the first two episodes I adore it to bits and pieces. There are still 30 episodes to go and it can falter midway but for now it’s charming, funny, refreshing and full of hilarious metas and social commentaries. The writer brilliantly opted to set the events of the story during the reign of a fictional king which gives her a complete freedom to do whatever she likes without any backlash because of unresolved historical facts or inaccuracy. 

tumblr_oqubuedcyQ1s8t96qo3_540.png

There is no existing sageuk drama out there I would compare MSG to and the connection to the original movie is barely the sassy female lead but that doesn’t matter because the show is an utter gem and unlike with other currently airing kdramas I don’t feel the need to fast-foward, not even a single second. It comes closest to SKKS with the hilarity of Go Princess Go, but truly this is something refreshingly new in the sageuk genre. Joo Won and Oh Yeon Seo are perfectly cast and the Yongpal PD has come a long way from his Modern Farmer and Miss Ahjumma roots - the cinematography is gorgeous and you can see from each scene that this show is created by people who were enjoying filming every single moment; there is a huge attention to detail, it has perfect comedic timing and never misses when throwing a meta punch. And last but not least FINALLY A PRE-PRODUCED SAGEUK THAT DOESN’t HAVE ANY EDITING PROBLEMS, on the contrary it’s top notch.

tumblr_oqubuedcyQ1s8t96qo4_540.png

edmP4f6.jpg

ALERT TO SAGEUK GEEKS - JOO WON IS WEARING JI CHANG WOOK’S IMPERIAL WARDROBE FOR HIS CHINA STAY. And even the extras in the chinese scenes are wearing the armor and costumes from Empress Ki.

fDI0sdj.jpg

I think this must be some sort of occupational disease because I can recognize pretty much every location My Sassy Girl uses from other shows - Moon Lovers, Faith, Jang Ok Jung,… - it has become a sort of a game for me to recognize them and the costumes. This happens when you reach a point in your life where you’ve seen one too many sageuk drama. Anyway, now I’m tempted to re-watch Empress Ki again and gush over Baby Emperor’s bishie handsomeness and his undying love for Nyang.

UdrCp1Z.jpg

12 hours ago, Gwinna said:

Lol. At least now we know why the Chinese costumes are wrong, since they were just reusing what was already available. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to disappoint you but almost all sageuk dramas reuse costumes, particularly the foreign ones, armors, and uniforms costumes of the palace staff and extras. And also the costumes were originally created for Empress Ki even then, for the 14th century setting, they were mostly completely historically inaccurate, but once again most sageuk have similar problems with costumes one way or another, particularly the jeogori (the upper shirt of female hanbok) - most historical dramas set from the 14th-18th century use the short version (because it looks better obviously and because it's the modern version which can be worn even after the drama finishes airing since the costumes are usually sponsored by one of the big hanbok costume designers) but that short version didn't appear until the middle of the 19th century.

I could very much do this comparison with every sageuk drama and I would the same similarities only with different dramas. I think that in this case is a very understandable choice since sageuk dramas don't have the same budgets as for instance American or British shows - this is not Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey. So I definitely wouldn't see  that as a flaw since every single sageuk does that. Plus the costumes they use are not that far-fetched from the Qing dynasty clothes, particularly GW's clothes. I think the fact that they opted to set it during the reign of a fictional king allows certain freedom in this regard and that sole fact means there is no need for a complete historical accuracy. But 'haters are gonna hate,... et cetera, et cetera, I guess.

ePkgLpD.png

Huh. I think inaccurate Hanbok are the least of the shows issues. They have created a boorish, drunken and trashy heroine combined with bad writing and gross out humor and if they don't want the problems Introverted Boss had they better heed public comments. 

Archived