SHIM HYUNG TAK - CHOON POONG

KWAK HEE SUNG - PARK CHANG WHI

LEE SI EUN - BANG SE HO

SEOL JUNG HWAN - MAENG GWANG SOO

PARK YOUNG SOO - HWANG GA

SEO EUN AH - MAL GEUM

----

SYNOPSIS

Set in the Joseon Dynasty period, a romance takes place between cold-hearted Gyun Woo and Princess Hyemyung who causes troubles.

----

TEASERS

NOTES

Drama remake of My Sassy Girl — the 2001 movie starring Cha Tae-hyun and Jeon Ji-hyun.

Screenplay contest will be held February 1 to March 30, 2012. Applicants submit 2 episode synopsis inspired by the original 2001 movie. Winners of the screenplay contest receive 10 million won and contract with production companies Shincine Communication (production company of original movie) and Raemong Rain.

Filming begins July 2016.

Drama series is expected to be actor Joo Won's last acting role prior to his mandatory enlistment in the South Korean military.

Kim Joo-Hyun was selected to play the lead female character through auditions, but she will no longer play the character. (Asianwiki)

This is the second collaboration between actor Joo Won and director Oh Jin-seok, after working together in the 2015 hit drama Yong-pal. Actress Kim Ju-hyeon was selected to play the female lead role through auditions, but was replaced by Oh Yeon-seo after quitting.
First script reading took place on August 27, 2016. My Sassy Girl is a fully pre-produced TV series. Filming began on August 2016 and finished on March 2017. (Wikipedia)

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.

02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.

03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.

04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 

05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joo Won headlines youth saeguk remake of My Sassy Girl

JooWon2.jpg

March 29, 2016

Wait, what? The drama remake of My Sassy Girl — the 2001 movie starring Cha Tae-hyun and Jeon Ji-hyun — is a sageuk? Is it going to be called My Sassy Joseon Lady? Apparently we’re going to be up to our eyeballs in youth sageuk this year, because My Sassy Girl just cast Joo-won (Yong-pal) to headline the drama remake, which will be his last project before enlisting in the army. (Gah, don’t remind me! I guess I should just be happy he’s doing one last drama before going, but still!)

My Sassy Girl is a Korean rom-com classic, a campus romance about a cute, hapless boy who meets a gross but intriguing girl who kind of makes him her slave/boyfriend and always keeps him dangling on a hook. It’s an unconventional romance but utterly adorable. I’m still ragey about the fact that they’re making a sequel, My Sassy Girl 2, about Cha Tae-hyun’s character Gyun-woo getting dumped and meeting a NEW sassy girl. W.T.F. I refuse to even acknowledge that sequel’s existence, because it negates the ending of the beloved original, and I don’t know why anyone would do such a stupid, stupid thing.

ANYWAY, this drama remake has been in the works for a few years, so it doesn’t come out of nowhere. I’m just curious as to why they chose to do a sageuk version, since it’ll affect the basic story just by virtue of the time period. Still, at its core My Sassy Girl is a romance driven by two opposite personalities — she’s the beautiful but bossy alpha girl, while he’s the classic beta male — and could be translated into any setting pretty easily.

I do think it’s super cute that Joo-won will be playing Cha Tae-hyun’s character, since they were bros on 1 Night 2 Days for a little while. Joo-won would make an adorable Gyun-woo, except for the fact that he’s too handsome. They’re going to have to do an ugly duckling transformation on him (which he’s done for movies like Fashion King), otherwise I’d never buy him being the dorky guy who gets pushed around by a girl half his size. I’m sure he’ll be fantastic in the role, because when is Joo-won ever not fantastic? The real question is, where on earth are they going to find the actress to play Jeon Ji-hyun’s character? It’s the role that made her a superstar. Talk about a lot to live up to.

The drama will be co-produced by Raemong Raein (Sungkyunkwang Scandal) and Joo-won’s agency, Sim Entertainment. It doesn’t have a broadcaster yet, but it plans to be 100% pre-produced for a simultaneous broadcast in Korea, China, and Japan, and will begin shoots in July.

DRAMABEANS

Joo Won Confirms Last Drama Before Military Enlistment

Joo-Won.png

March 29, 2016

It looks like Joo Won has decided on his last drama prior to his military enlistment.

A representative from his agency Sim Entertainment spoke with news outletIlgan Sports on March 29 and said, “Joo Won will be appearing in ‘My Sassy Girl’ (tentative title). Our company and Raemongraein will be co-producing. However, nothing else has been decided yet.”

The drama will be based on the popular film of the same name featuring Cha Tae Hyun and Jun Ji Hyun. However, it appears as though the characters will be different from the original characters in the film.

Also, the drama will be 100 percent pre-produced and is aiming to broadcast in Korea, China, and Japan at the same time.

Are you looking forward to this drama?

SOOMPI

Aigoo!! Can I believe my eyes? Joo Won is back in dramaland. Even better in a a Sageuk. :grin:

I had watched the movie of My Sassy Girl a long time ago. Find that it was cute and funny.

So I have high hopes for this drama.

As for the female lead I hope they just find someone who matches Joo Won both in looks and talent.

Lastly, thanks for starting this thread! From now on, I am going to camp here.:)

I know it's going to end up going to some known actress, but I'd really like it if a not-so-popular actress got to reprise the role played by Jeon Ji Hyun in the movie. That role is iconic, there will be so much hate against the drama if they just choose someone for their fame rather than their acting chops.

Guest ororomunroe

Is this a regular drama or a special? 

I'm definitely going to watch this for JW and I loved the movie as well.

Joo Won's drama always the reason my come back to Soompi. It has been months since my last visit.

Anyway, I'll be here as long as Joo Won in it. And it looks like a big budget drama, rite? And I think the script writing will be good because they have prepared this project since 2012, and held an open script wrting competition.

Spoiler

Please... be good please be good...... this is my utimate bias last drama before his enlistment for 2 years...

What can I do without Joo Won??

Joo Won confirmed for the drama version of 'My Sassy Girl'

Joo Won has been confirmed for the drama version of 'My Sassy Girl.'

On April 5th, a representative of Sim entertainment announced actor Joo Won has been confirmed for the drama version of movie 'My Sassy Girl.'

Sim Entertainment is one of the most famous drama production agencies of Korea, and they have produced 'Lucky Romance,' 'Mask,' and 'Tundra Show.' Another famous production agency, Raemon Raein, which produced 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal,' 'Assembly,' and 'The Village: Achiara's Secret,' is going to co-produce the drama version of 'My Sassy Girl.'

Actor Joo Won, who is one of the most leading actors of Korea, has been confirmed for the male lead role, named Gyeon Woo, and a great number of Korean drama fans are showing huge excitement for this news.

it is said that Joo Won is going to interpret Gyeon Woo in a way that is quite different from the original film in the drama.

The drama will show Gyeon Woo, who is widely recognized as the smartest guy in entire Joseon, going through a series of troubles after running into the female lead role. The actress for the female lead role has not been decided yet.

Meanwhile, drama 'My Sassy Girl' will be officially released in Korea, China, and Japan at the same time, and the first shoot will be held in July.

/Reporting by Kim Hye-in en@starnnews.com

http://starn.hankyung.com/global/en/news/index.html?no=442453

____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Sassy Girl' remake to be a historical drama?

joo-won_1459870965_af_org.jpg

Most people were divided about remaking 'My Sassy Girl' into a drama, with some people saying that the original should just be left alone and others musing that it would be interesting to see a remake. But what if I told you that the remake is going to be not just any remake but a historical drama remake? 

Jointly produced by Sim Entertainment and Raemongraein, this upcoming historical drama version of 'My Sassy Girl' has already Joo Won confirmed as the male lead

What's more, unlike the hapless and dorky Kyun Woo that we saw in the movie, the Kyun Woo of the remake will reportedly be a man overflowing with confidence, if only a bit prickly in nature. 

The female lead has yet to be cast, but she will be the same quirky, slightly abrasive, and bright character that we remember from the movie. 

The drama will be filmed entirely in pre-production and start filming beginning in July. 

allkpop

• 1 month later...

Joo Won’s Female Lead For “My Sassy Girl” Drama To Be Decided Through Open Auditions And Netizen Votes

Joo Won’s Female Lead For “My Sassy Girl” Drama To Be Decided Through Open Auditions And Netizen Votes

The search for the female lead of the drama version of “My Sassy Girl” will be a large-scale casting project.

The “My Sassy Girl” drama, is garnering interest through the casting of Joo Won, who boasts a distinct style and strong acting abilities in every one of his projects. The drama goes further and will begin the first large-scale national audition to find the actress to play the female protagonist.

The drama is one based off of the youth romance film of the same name which gained fame across Asia, including China, Korea, and Taiwan, for the hilarious relationship between the fussy male protagonist Kyun Woo and the sassy female protagonist.

The auditions for the drama version of “My Sassy Girl” is notable for its fresh attempt at selecting the female lead through open auditions and it will deviate from the existing casting systems in order to find talented individuals with acting ability, potential, and talent. The assessment criteria will be based 45 percent on the points given by the evaluation committee, 10 percent on points from actors, and 45% on points from netizens. The proportion of netizen votes will be accumulated as 30 percent from Naver for Korea, 10 percent from V LIVE for the global votes, and 5 percent from Le.com for China.

The key point of the audition is that the public can participate in the casting process for the female lead as well as vote for the candidates.

Any female applicant between ages 20-30 can apply for the “My Sassy Girl” drama auditions and individuals of all occupations, from a normal student to aspirant actress as well as new or experienced actresses, can take part in the auditions. Applications will be taken from May 9 to May 20 on the All Cast “My Sassy Girl” homepage and the successful applicants for the document screening are expected to be announced on May 24.

Those who pass the document screening will have the chance to take the second audition screening, which will last for two days. Large-scale, national voting will take place through Naver for the ten who pass the second screening.

An affiliate of the “My Sassy Girl” drama commented, “The female protagonist for ‘My Sassy Girl’ is an important individual who must express the uniqueness and personality specific to the drama. That’s why we expect making the drama and the search for the ‘girl,’ with participation from individuals in Korea, China, and Japan, to be a very fun and interesting event.” The affiliate added, “Joo Won is expected to actively support the auditions so we ask for your interest and participation.”

Meanwhile, “My Sassy Girl” is a completely pre-produced drama which is expected to air simultaneously in Korea, Japan, and China in early 2017.

Source (1)

@mysignisflower Asianwiki updated their page with some new information. :)MSG will be broadcasted on SBS and directed by Oh Jin-Seok (Yong Pal, Modern Farmer).

Source: Asianwiki

Here is an article that confirms this info.

Drama 'My Sassy Girl' to premiere in 2017

2016/05/20 10:57

Actor Joo Won (Yonhap)

Actor Joo Won (Yonhap)

SEOUL, May 20 (Yonhap) -- The TV adaptation of the 2001 hit South Korean movie "My Sassy Girl" will premiere in the first half of 2017, its publicist said Friday.

The SBS series will be set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) period, with actor Joo Won playing Gyeonwoo, the male lead, Ytree Company said.

Producer Oh Jin-seok, who created the SBS drama "Yong-pal" starring Joo last year, will lead the production.

Auditions are currently underway to find the right woman to play the "sassy girl," who is never named in the movie.

Anyone between the ages of 20 and 30 may apply by Friday on the website (http://her.allcast.co.kr) for a chance to "wear the pants" in a hypothetical relationship with the 28-year-old actor.

Filming will start in July, with all episodes being edited prior to its premiere date in South Korea, China and Japan.

Source: yonhapnews

SBS picks up My Sassy Girl, reunites Joo-won with Yong-pal PD

JooWon3.jpg

The youth sageuk remake of rom-com classic My Sassy Girl starring Joo-won (Yong-pal) and one lucky girl now has a home at SBS; the series has been confirmed for the station, and is due to air in early 2017. Does that mean Joo-won will be in army by the time the show airs? Let’s not think about that. Maybe we’ll just think of it as a silver lining that we get to see him at all next year.

The adaptation by production company Raemong Raein (Sungkyunkwan Scandal) will be a romantic comedy sageuk that reimagines the characters of the original film as youths in the Joseon era. Joo-won stars as Gyun-woo (Cha Tae-hyun’s character in the original who gets bossed around by sassy girl Jeon Ji-hyun), except this time, Gyun-woo will be a “prickly city man.” Er? But… this is a story about an alpha girl and a beta male. That’s the entire premise, that she bosses him around. If SHE’s prickly, and then HE’s prickly, then you just have two angry porcupines, and nobody wants that!

They’d better not un-sassy the sassy girl, because then I’ll be really annoyed. The search for Joo-won’s leading lady has actually been extended because there was such overwhelming response to the open casting call, and there are currently over one thousand hopefuls — starlets and newbies alike — all vying for the coveted spot. Whether it goes to an established actress or a talented rookie, I like that they’re going through the process to find the best possible sassy girl out there for the part.

With the drama due to air on SBS, PD Oh Jin-seok of Yong-pal has signed on to helm the series, which is drawing more anticipation for the project since he was behind the show that got Joo-won a Daesang at the SBS Drama Awards last year. Yong-pal wasn’t without some glaring flaws, but I do remember it being beautiful to look at and very suspenseful at times. It did slow down immensely in the latter half and it had some egregious PPL, but hey — a sageuk can’t have any PPL, so half our problems have already been solved.

My Sassy Girl will air on SBS in early 2017. It’ll be 100% pre-produced and plans to be aired simultaneously in Korea, China, and Japan.

DRAMABEANS

When will we get more information about the girls who passed the first auditioning? The auditioning did end 6 days ago.

I can't wait to see those who passed. Since I have some underrated favorite actresses I think this open audition might be their chances. I wanna see if the person I am looking for did audition and pass, so it'd be nice to get some information soon ^^

News bites: May 27, 2016

by girlfriday | May 27, 2016 | 14 Comments

HaSukJin_JooWon1.jpg

Auditions for the SBS youth sageuk remake of My Sassy Girl are going strong, with the field now narrowed down to 89 candidates who made it past the first round of the open casting call. Initially there were over 1,800 hopefuls in contention for the starring role opposite leading man Joo-won (Yong-pal). The second round of auditions will be broadcast online via Naver TVcast like a survival audition contest, and Joo-won will be participating in the selection process directly. Well, I guess if you’re going to bother with the massive open call, then you may as well drum up some promotional buzz this way. Let’s just hope the effort pays off in a great leading actress sassypants. The drama is set to air in early 2017 on SBS. [My Daily]

Dramabeans

Archived