My little architecture model project

kimchicecream

These days I've been interested in architecture and making models.  The thing I love about architecture is the sense of appreciation for space and it's beauty.  Although anything can be consider beautful -- since beauty is in the eye of the beholder -- I just like how there is so much wisdom and subjectivity in the discipline of architecture.

So now on to my current project:  A community center

The materials I used so far are:

-  2mm architecture model cardboard
- drafting table
- cutting knife
- white glue
- straight ruler
- pencil
- scissors
- protractor
- t-square ruler

nTcGnv2.jpg

FRle6Oe.jpg

0xQ3BtO.jpg

G7qnQHH.jpg

Here are some more pics of the roof and corners of the model.

saJjh2h.jpg

QbShVcM.jpg

I spent a crazy amount of time making sure each piece was at 90 degrees.

gms5pNJ.jpg

So now I got around to making the corner pillar and the remaining parts of the walls and windows.  I wished the windows were cut more cleanly, but I just don't know a better way to do it.

Mf5rknJ.jpg

HGfel9m.jpg

0dgAMva.jpg

Please leave a comment and let me know what you guys think!  Reading the comments keeps me going and sharing some of the stuff I make!

I always wondered how those miniature models were made. Wow, that's really intricate! Do you have specific areas/activity centers in mind for a given section of the community center, or are you looking at the grand scope of things?

• 1 month later...

I temporarily put my model to the side for a while.  But here it is now with the walls assembled and glued.  The main square center atrium is the gymnasium, the curved external part of the building is the staircase, and the other areas as office space and work rooms.

I am pretty good at making these detailed small pieces so it was quite fun for me to do this.  Plus just imagining how this could be a real-life building really excites me!

This part houses the office spaces and work rooms.
v4GiaTW.jpg

The windows were very hard to cut accurately with little burrs.
apYjrpN.jpg

Internal pic of the work spaces.
6PvZUYD.jpg

Work space rooms and gymnasium attached.
NWnhwGq.jpg
THVQesf.jpg

Rear exit shown.
gyjGmuD.jpg

Rear elevation of the community center.
xQ5oLb2.jpg

On 5/12/2016 at 8:05 PM, es7er said:

Wow, so cool. You are so talented :w00t:.

Thanks es7er!  The only talent I can think of I had was patience to just make sure all the lines were straight before I cut the pieces or glued them together.  I don't think I am dismissing your compliment, and so I am truly happy you've written something nice about my work.   :wub:

On 4/4/2016 at 0:20 PM, iChoco said:

I always wondered how those miniature models were made. Wow, that's really intricate! Do you have specific areas/activity centers in mind for a given section of the community center, or are you looking at the grand scope of things?

Yes, iChoco, the to make a good model, attention to the smallest of details make up the quality of work that viewer admire most.  Thanks for taking the time to comment   :D
In regards to specific areas/activity centers in mind for a given section of the community center, the square atrium houses the gymnasium/basketball court and the surrounding segments are work/office spaces.  The external rounded segment seen in the drawing is the staircase.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:37 AM, changssie said:

You have some great work! :o I'm in school for interior arch, and I plan to be this good. How much did the architectural model cardboard cost, and where did you get it?

Thanks, man!

For everything, it cost about $50 CAD.  I got it from a local art store in downtown Toronto (I forgot the name of the store)   :huh:

The cutting board was from Curry's, but the cardboard, rulers, and other tools were from that indie art store.

Oh good!

The inside structure is done.  These will be the only pieces of evidence of the support system I designed to make the model robust.  Normally, such detail to integrity, for a model this size, is not needed.  However, I couldn't pass up on the chance to reaffirm Steve Job's adage of making the inside just as good as the outside.  And also, I do have a sense of satisfaction of knowing my model is one strong bad richard simmons!

xJaCP4p.jpg

reK7XWg.jpg

hmakk7v.jpg

Everything had to be square, which means perfectly 90 degrees.  This may not be the best way to do it, but I just kind of went along and did things the way it came up with little to no planning.  The end result were wall that I didn't have to worry about to be 90 degrees.  With this much assurance, I knew it was 90.

jmGXgtM.jpg

Now the following three walls were a pain!  Part of it was that they were short walls and required so much detail that only covered a small area.  But with all the supports, putting them together was a piece of cake!  And I think I'd rather spend a lot of time doing the supports so that I don't have to balance the pieces while gluing and run the risk of not hitting 90 degrees.

DUUMSGn.jpg

H8No0T7.jpg

wd2uVqM.jpg

P25WxjN.jpg

Putting the walls together meant just sliding the pieces into position like a game of chess.

oXOMGGf.jpg

IARMVqk.jpg

You can see it here on this angle where the patience paid off in making supports for each wall segment.  Without those supports, I'd have to hope each wall gets glued and dried off at a 90 degrees angle, and any slight misalignment would compound in inaccuracies in the later connecting walls.

QhfB3Qm.jpg

s7Mx908.jpg

uHW3sgx.jpg

Here is my little trick to do the window frames.  I first was about to make t-shaped parts and then glue them onto the black window pane; but that work was way too delicate.  Instead I opted to cutting the frames out and just peeling off the black external layer to reveal the uniform grey colored cardboard underneath.

V5AC2bh.jpg

U7rmhMv.jpg

The longitudinal section needed a good load bearing support structure as I imagined people would want to press down on an obvious weak spot of the model.

J0m4gVD.jpg

wefIMDF.jpg

You see how everything fits in perfectly at 90 degrees?  That's the peace of mind you get if you invest tons of time with supports for each wall.  I liked that.  Not only is this model perfectly straight, but it was robust.

KnzvWA6.jpg

Anyway, thanks you guys for watching my work.  Again, leave comments if you liked it and maybe I'll put up some more work I'm doing on the side.  If you need any help or whatever, just leave a comment!

Hey,

I liked your design. It is very fresh and unique. Few days back only one of my friend installed new doors and windows while renovating her home. She showed me various architectural designs from their website . Getting done with the home renovation is the most satisfactory for homeowners  and for contractors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow nice work! Are you currently in architecture school? 

I spent 4 years in arch school and recently completed my B. IntArch, and that would have gotten you pretty high distinctions in Communications class. Towards the last 2 years of the degree though, everyone just got their model pieces laser cut, which made assembly much easier because it eliminated the possibility of measurement inaccuracy haha. I for one was never great at model making :P

Reckon you're up to trying new materials now? White models are sleek and awesome, but it gets real fun when other materials like mesh or timber are involved. Allows for curvature (think Frank Gehry or the likes?). I have good memories of my studio-mates and I experimenting with different mediums like plaster and concrete and balloons etc etc. If you have the chance, try it out and post it up! (:

Cool, thanks for the compliment,

On 6/12/2016 at 4:58 PM, v-ki said:

Wow nice work!

Cool, thanks for the compliment!

I am planning to do a wood frame house for my next project.  Unfortunately, I am not in architecture school.  I wish I was.  Maybe after my current thing I'll go back to school -- although I'd be so old, I am not sure if I'd be in the right state of mind to pull that off.

Can you post up some of your projects here?  I'd love to be re-inspired by looking at neat designs!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived