[Drama 2016] Mirror of the Witch 마녀보감

Go Seung Ji

It is never farewell, just a new beginning. 

I think this resonates within the drama and also for us who have been heavily invested in the drama. 

It's been great to read the comments, thoughts and perspectives of all who have posted in the thread. 

Again, don't be a stranger and see you in the threads of dramas mentioned in my signature....

PS... I also can't let go yet of the drama....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i believe the writer-nim purposely made the last episode and the ending not as much as we expected so that we wouldn't stop discussing about it. Rather than a satisfying ending like a happy ending, viewers would just accept it and move on. But ending like this? No one could move on haha i see what you did there, writer-nim. Because i found it unacceptable that a great drama like this with a great development could just end like that in the latest two episodes.

or another possibility could be a change of writer in the last minutes, maybe.

deep down in my heart, i'm still hoping for a special episode. It's not over yet, at least to me.

3 hours ago, allthingsarepossible said:

Great beginning. Great actors. Great development. Fair climax, poor resolution? 

It may have been cause I was hoping for HJ demise to be what was foretold: "her flesh ripped to pieces by black magic." 

Of course Jun survives and YH dies but I was expecting she'd died having fought HJ in an epic face off when she first entered the temple at the end of ep 16, full of magic not just words.

Jun scrambles to discover SG is Red Cloak and trick people with potions for their benefits and to light candles. SG could have been a person who gets to light a candle. 

PY on the dark side vs his father. The king and queen dowager unable to break out of HJ manipulation. The Queen dowager finally breaks the urn and frees the prince's soul (this could have lit a candle).  The release of the prince having more impact and lights a candle.

The battle to could end with HJ being betrayed and killed by SG and the King (this lit a candle). It's would be so poetic to see black magic fail HJ and turn against her in her most desperate moments.  

CHS will die in thd fight with PY taoist fire vs fire? PY will come to his senses just a he is about to kill CHS (this will light a candle). But black magic makes sure CHS dies and confirm what we suspected: that black magic has a mind of its own. 

Maybe the King's wife, the Queen could be pregnant before YH enters the temple. In the battle there could be a moment when PY tries to burn YH. We could witness the curse attacking the Queen resulting in the King coming to his sensesnaps. The weakened tailsman on her forehead allow YH to use more magic? To turn the tide of the battle to her favor leading to the HJ death. It will be bittersweet.

Maybe Jun will remeber how one page seems missing out of the book and find out the last page. With aid and reveal of the man who gave the sacrifice potion. 

Jun,  PY and the King will have to destroy the black magic knife as it attempts to find a suitable replacement for HJ. It would be funny if Heo Ok was temporary possessed by black magic. 

Maybe Jun,  PY and YH will take the sacrifce potion somehow this breaks the curse without HJ but takes YH's life while PY and HJ is saved. YH last bit of protective magic or YH's last wish whicb lights the last candle? 

HJ, PY and the Kings has bromance which is miserable for HO. HJ becomes a royal doctor.. Grows old dreams of YH... 

What have I written.

Well see you all in another forum. 

I agree with you and that's the reason why I'm upset with the ending because there's so much the writer could have done but failed to do. HJ could have gone off in a more epic way - I think I would have even preferred if HS killed her himself knowing that it was the only way for the both of them to go down together.. the fact that HJ brought upon chaos to everyone and then left quietly made my heart bitter. So, the bad guy WINS anyways.. because YH also died and didn't even live to grow old with the man she loves... all of the remaining candles should have been lit slowly one by one up till the last episode. There were so many instances where a candle could have been lit.. but were not.. why? Because the writers failed.

I suppose we could always think of different endings as viewers but I think that is the beauty of dramas. I don't think I have ever experienced a drama where the viewer is fully happy and satisfied with the ending. (Please don't get me started on some dramas where I would love to rewrite the ending)

Ackkk! I am not moving on! 

On 7/20/2016 at 8:10 PM, Dr_Heo_Jun-Persimmon said:

oh trust me chingu, i want to write to them as much as you do. but too bad i didn't know how to write in korean :'(

i really want them to know how much i love this drama despite everything. i totally wouldn't mind if yoon si yoon and kim sae ron get paired up again, but unfortunately korean netizens didn't seem to like that idea. Seems like they love other actresses better when in fact kim sae ron could act better. (sorry, i just don't get it why they missed out this awesome and talented young actress)

I would like to add that I too think that Kim Sae Ron is talented and hope that she will get many more good roles for her to hone her acting skills. I first noticed her in Can You hear my Heart and she was excellent acting as the young teen daughter of a deaf/mute mother. 

I think the saddest part of today was knowing that there wasn't going to be another episode. No more cute and adorable HJ & YH. I think this will remain on my rewatch list for a long while because the story arc is so well done in terms of the romance. Light but poignant. 

Silent lurker here! I actually watched episode 19 and 20 raw on the day it came out (and marathoned episode 1-but I didn't finish watching it with subs until today.. To be honest, when I first watched episode 20, I was upset and a bit disappointed with the ending. I do understand how Yeon Hee drinking the sacrificial potion is an act of a true love sacrifice as well but I feel as if all that work with lighting the candles and finding a way to break the curse went to waste.... Of course breaking the curse does not only mean breaking the curse on Yeon Hee but also on the Joseon land.. but still, Yeon Hee making the sacrifice, it's just a waste... x.x She has been lighting the candles all these years and in the end she had to sacrifice herself to break her own curse....

Someone mentioned before that the act of true love sacrifice doesn't have to be death itself. I feel like Heo Jun or Yeon He could have done a true love sacrifice without dying and still light the candle and end up living together happily.. I do like happy endings (who doesn't) but I also like realistic endings as well. When it comes to historical and fantasy dramas, I'm not really a fan of afterlife or reincarnation (with the exception of Arang and the Magistrate... that drama was just a masterpiece) because I feel like it's hard to get a great ending when dramas use these factors.. I do agree with what some people said about saeguk dramas having a bad ending... I kinda had high hopes for Mirror of the Witch and see how they would take this ending because don't get me wrong, MOTW is such an amazing and well-written drama! But... I feel like the last two episodes were a bit rushed, especially when it came to lighting all the candles... It's sad that Jun had to live all those years without Yeon Hee :(

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this ending nor think it's a bad ending, I just think the writers could've gone on a different route. But! I do love the ending scene how Jun walked into the door and turned to his young self and it was just like when Jun and Yeon Hee first met! @booha I love your observation of Jun's outfit being the same from episode 2! I didn't even notice that at all.... I love the theory that maybe Jun and Yeon Hee meet again, as ordinary people and YH without her curse, and getting a second chance to live. That really made me happy and more satisfy with the ending! I think it's so bittersweet how the drama portrayed it like this.

Honestly, now reading all the comments in this forum and just thinking over the ending again for MOTW, I think the ending is pretty satisfying for us viewers. MOTW is such an amazing drama and I love how it tackles the storyline, ugh just love everything. The actors did amazing job. I think Kim Sae Ron did a fantastic job at portraying Yeon Hee and Yoon Shi Yoon really proved himself in this drama as well. Really just got to credit all of the actors in this drama because they did such an amazing job. Such an awesome cast. Overall, at first the ending wasn't an ending I expected and was filled with disappointment but I love the last moments of the drama with Jun and Yeon Hee and think it's so bittersweet~ 

I thought this drama was pretty decent. The story line was pretty good and I really liked the main leads chemistry in this drama. I also thought the relationship between the evil lady and the Taoist was pretty dynamic. There were a lot of heartbreaking scenes and funny parts as well. This drama had a great ost I loved almost every song. I'd rate this a 8/10. :)

Came here to say that im really angry to directors or who is responsible for OST albums :c i wait this much time only for various artist ost album but there is still none!... There were many nice cool and creepy sounds at background but they only gave us 3songs :x

Kim Sae Ron did post drama interviews..

Kim Sae-ron shares thoughts on “Mirror of the Witch”

Actress Kim Sae-ron recently shared with local media her thoughts on the JTBC series “Mirror of the Witch.”

(Kim's Instagram)

The program aired from May to July 2016. Kim had played the lead role of Yeon-hee, a cursed princess who falls in love with Heo Jun, a scholar who tries to lift the curse.

“‘Mirror of the Witch’ is about teen romance. I don’t have much experience in romance, so I drew on romance scenes that I have seen in web cartoons. I am a fan of web cartoons and have read many,” said the 16-year-old actress.

Yoon Shi-yoon, the actor who played Heo Jun, is 14 years older, but Kim said she did not feel the age difference when interacting with him.

“He is very playful and funny, so I didn’t feel the age gap so much,” said Kim.

The drama did not feature any kissing scenes.

“‘Mirror of the Witch’ is about pure and young love. So I think that the love between Yeon-hee and Heo Jun was conveyed to the viewers even without a kiss scene,” said Kim.

By Lee Ji-hae (jihlee@heraldcorp.com)

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201607261644371660715_2

Why was there no 'skinship' between Yoon Si Yoon and Kim Sae Ron in 'Witch Exemplar'?

kim-sae-ron_1469543576_af_org.jpg

In a July 23 interview with etoday, Kim Sae Ron talked about her recent drama 'Witch Exemplar,' particularly her 'skinship' (or lack thereof) with co-star Yoon Si Yoon

The actress began, "I think I was able to finish 'Witch Exemplar' without any troubles thanks to Yoon Si Yoon's considerate nature." 

Kim Sae Ron continued, "When we first started 'Witch Exemplar,' there were many people who were worried about whether I'd be able to create a good chemistry with Yoon Si Yoon because of our 14-year age gap. But Yoon Si Yoon took care to make me feel comfortable so that I wouldn't really feel the age gap [between us]. So I didn't really feel that there was a big difference in our age." 

Kim Sae Ron then talked about how there were no kiss or physical contact scenes in the drama, saying, "It's not that there were none because of my age. After the director, Yoon Si Yoon, and I debated and though it over, we decided to showcase a 'hidden kind of romance' so that's why there were no heavy physical contact scenes." 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/07/why-was-there-no-skinship-between-yoon-si-yoon-and-kim-sae-ron-in-witch-exemplar

some pictures from interviews..

CoStKv7VIAAxBh0.jpg

CoSq5jrUEAA080z.jpg

Spoiler

CoSqs-9UAAE4jh2.jpg

CoSquEeVUAAdkr_.jpg

CoSqvJYUAAAS7AJ.jpg

CoSqwRmVUAAP3eW.jpg

CoVCJkvUIAA8jzM.jpg

CoSq6m0UMAAsI4D.jpg

cr as tagged

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2016 at 6:37 AM, NRGchick said:

Another week without Heo Jun and Yeon Hee....

No OST , no DVD set !!! [Or does anyone have any insider news]

I know Yoon Shi Yoon is planning his fanmeet in September...

On 7/26/2016 at 10:28 AM, sebnem said:

Came here to say that im really angry to directors or who is responsible for OST albums :c i wait this much time only for various artist ost album but there is still none!... There were many nice cool and creepy sounds at background but they only gave us 3songs :x

I come to this thread from time to time to check if there's news about the OST

I check on Korean sites too and nothing. Wonder if they're not planning to release anything at all.

• 1 year later...

I finally tried to watch this drama after it sat on my 'must watch list' for almost a year. However, I have to say that although I love historical, period and fantasy dramas, this one was just not my cup of tea.  I couldn't get past ep 7.  I'll may try to watch it again later.

Archived