[Drama 2016] Mirror of the Witch 마녀보감

Go Seung Ji

Drama: Mirror of the Witch (literal title), also known as Witch Exemplar
Revised romanization: Manyeobogam
Hangul: 마녀보감
Director: Jo Hyun-Tak (Servants, Who are You,Dear You, Daemul)
Writer: Yang Hyuk-Moon 
Network: JTBC [Official Website : Photo Gallery | Twitter | Facebook]
Episodes: 20
Broadcast Period: May 13, 2016 -- July 16, 2016
Runtime: Fridays & Saturdays 20:30
Language: Korean

About The Show
Story follows a young man Heo Jun (Yoon Si-Yoon) and Seo-Ri who was born a princess but became a witch.

Seo-Ri's mother Queen Sim was unable to have a child. She went to a shaman to help her have a child. With the help of shaman Hong-Joo's black magic, Queen Sim was able to have a boy and girl twins. The girl, Seo-Ri, was put under a curse and abandoned deep in the mountains. She meets Heo Jun there. (Asianwiki)

This historical fantasy-romance drama is about an unfortunate princess Seori who is abandoned as soon as she is born because she is born with a curse and becomes a witch until she meets Heo Joon.(Hancinema)

Production Notes

Story for the drama series is inspired by the book “Dongui Bogam,” compiled and written by royal physician Heo Jun.

First script reading took place March 11, 2016 at JTBC building in Sangam, Seoul, South Korea.

Official Posters

Cast of Characters

Main Cast
Yoon Shi Yoon as Heo Joon
Kim Sae Ron as Princess Seo Ri / Yun Hee
Yum Jung Ah as Shaman Hong Joo
Lee Sung Jae as Choi Hyun Suh
Kwak Shi Yang as Poong Yun
Palace
Jang Hee Jin as Queen Shim
Lee Ji Hoon as King Seonjo
Yeo Hoe Hyun as Crown Prince Soonhwae (Seo Ri's twin brother)
Sogyukseo
Lee Yi Kyung as Yo Kwang
??? as Chun Choo
??? as Chun Kwon
??? as Kae Yang
??? as Ok Hyung
Heo Joon's family
Jo Dal Hwan as Heo Ok
??? as Heo Yoon
Jun Mi Sun as Mrs. Son
Kim Hee Jung as Mrs. Kim
Others
Moon Ga Young as Sol Kae
Yoon Bok In (윤복인) as Mrs. Ok
Choi Sung Won as Dong Rae
Min Do Hee as Soon Deuk
Special appearances
Kim Young Ae as Queen Yoon (Myung Jong's mother)
Jung In Sun as Hae Ran
Lee David as King Myung Jong

Source: Asianwiki | Dramawiki | Hancinema

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot / activities is considered spamming. 

Don't quote videos/images.

Do not post successively except for liveblogging on drama's airtime.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, You Tube, Etc. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like   Viki, Dramafever) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annyeong everyone! Both leads confirmed...

Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron to Star in a Historical Fantasy Drama

Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron to Star in a Historical Fantasy Drama

Actors Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron are confirmed to star in a drama together.

They will be starring in JTBC‘s upcoming drama “Mirror of the Witch (tentative title),” which is a fantasy story about a cursed princess named Seo Ri and a vengeful Heo Jun. Heo Jun has never been portrayed this way before in other dramas, so many are curious of how this will turn out.

After being discharged from the military, Yoon Shi Yoon will be starring in his first-ever historical drama. His character Heo Jun is very smart and skilled, but is looked down upon because he is the child of a concubine. So he hides his identity and lives by helping others in need.

Kim Sae Ron’s character Seo Ri is a hidden twin from the king and queen. Her original name is Yeon Hee but she gets cursed and turns into a witch, therefore also changing her name.

Yoon Shi Yoon stated, “I was lured by ‘Mirror of the Witch’ because of its unique story. I think it will be a meaningful project since I haven’t tried a historical drama yet and it’s been a while since I’ve acted. I’m already looking forward to filming. I will try my best to show different charms of Heo Jun that he has never shown thus far. Please give lots of support.”

Kim Sae Ron also said, “I was pulled in by the drama’s strange charms. Seo Ri is born a princess but is a cursed witch at the same time. It overwhelmed me at first to take this role because it seemed like such a good chance in my acting career, but that’s why I am very excited. I will practice hard to please the audience through this well-produced work. Please keep watching.”

Meanwhile, this new drama will air in May.

Source (1)

cr. http://www.soompi.com/2016/03/07/yoon-shi-yoon-and-kim-sae-ron-to-star-in-a-historical-fantasy-drama/

Fantasy sageuk Mirror of the Witch adds its villainess shaman

by javabeans | March 8, 2016 | 11 Comments

yeomjungah_41.jpg

Now this casting, I can see perfectly: Yeom Jung-ah (My Neighbor’s Wife, Royal Family) is the newest addition to JTBC’s Mirror of the Witch, playing a powerful shaman in a villain’s role. She’d be perfect for that, and I look forward to being unnerved by her steely fierceness.

We also have more description regarding the plot, and I’m finding myself intrigued the more I hear of Mirror of the Witch. At first I was skeptical about taking such a fantasy bent in reimagining the life of a historical figure (Joseon doctor Heo Jun, to be played by Yoon Shi-yoon), but I do find it fascinating to hear the story features a tragic princess who’s cursed with a frozen heart, who then becomes a gray-haired witch (to be played by teenaged Kim Sae-ron).

I can maybe understand why the drama would cast so young if it’s meant to contrast with a silvery, aged appearance. (Though you could still get that contrasting effect with an actress who’s not a legal minor, just putting that out there.) The princess-witch falls in love with the passionate young Heo Jun in this coming-of-age romance fantasy sageuk, which will tie in (fictionally) to the real-life medical text Mirror of Eastern Medicine, giving us the “hidden story” behind the man and his love. Really though, I think we’re best off considering this a wholly fictional world, rather than trying to fit it to what we know of Heo Jun.

yoonshiyoon_79.jpg

Yeom Jung-ah’s character is a shaman who possesses such strong powers that she could change the king if she wanted; she’s skilled in black magic and can even change fates. She can take a piercing look into a person’s heart with one glance and has a mysterious aura marked by an ageless appearance. She plays a pivotal role in the story, starting with using her powers to give the childless queen twins — but that comes with a terrible curse, which is how our princess comes to be born into a dark fate. The princess-turned-witch will later face off against the shaman, I presume to free herself of the curse, making for a tense conflict between the two ladies.

The plot seems fresh for dramaland, so I’m hoping that my misgivings about the casting are unfounded. I do find the age gap awkward between Kim Sae-ron and Yoon Shi-yoon, but hearing what the characters are like, I can understand why those actors were sought out — her with her youthful mix of innocence and tenacity, and him for his ability to add emotional nuance to his boundless energy. I just hope the pairing plays well onscreen, because now I am invested in this storyline. And Yeom Jung-ah is the perfect blend of scary and strong to be our wicked villain; I find her similar to Shin Eun-kyung in range and intensity, and seeing how the latter ruled Village: Secret of Achiara, I’m eager to see how Yeom turns it on for Mirror.

Mirror of the Witch will premiere in May, following Ms. Temper and Nam Jung-ki on JTBC.

Via Osen

cr. http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/fantasy-sageuk-mirror-of-the-witch-adds-its-villainess-shaman/

Just my humble opinion, but with the title of the drama being - '마녀보감(魔女寶鑑)' - The English word "witch" is correct in the title but doesn't quite capture the context of the Kim Saeron's character. I think a better translation would be:

"Mirror of the Enchantress"

This seems more beautiful and romantic to me, and I hope the story will be the same way!

Kwak Si-yang to star in "Witch Exemplar" with Yoon Si-yoon and Kim Sae-ron

photo699474.jpg

Actor Kwak Si-yang is starring in the new JTBC drama "Witch Exemplar" with Yoon Si-yoon, Kim Sae-ron, Yeom Jeong-ah and more.

"Witch Exemplar" is a fantasy historical drama about an unfortunate princess who was born cursed and white-haired until she meets warm-hearted Heo Joon.

Kwak Si-yang is attempting at his first historical drama and he plays a character who only has eyes set on Yeon-hee (Seori). He takes on the role of Poong-yeon, Choi Hyeon-seo's eldest son.

He is the only brother to Yeon-hee whom his father brought home when she was 2 years old. Poong-yeon is the only lead to the outside world for Seori and he adored and loved her with all his heart. They then fall into a three-way romance with Heo Joon (Yoon Si-yoon).

Kwak Si-yang said, "I am nervous and excited about this new genre. I will make sure to show you something new".

"Witch Exemplar" is directed by Jo Hyeon-tak.

Source : joynews.inews24.com/p...

cr. http://www.hancinema.net/kwak-si-yang-to-star-in-witch-exemplar-with-yoon-si-yoon-and-kim-sae-ron-92213.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Actor Choi Seung Won is in too.

CdFb6s5WEAIqy9y.jpg

http://news.nate.com/view/20160309n26567

Spoiler

He smiles like YSY lol sometimes!

CdFd1GsWoAApJxU.jpg

Actor Jo Dal Hwan too!

CdFrDf_WoAE__gt.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/star/newsview?newsid=20160309154737542

Yoon Si Yoon & Kim Sae Ron confirmed for drama 'Mirror of the Witch'

Yoon Si Yoon and Kim Sae Ron have been confirmed for new drama 'Mirror of the Witch (working title).'

Channel JTBC's new TV series, 'Mirror of the Witch (working title),' which will premiere in May, is going to be a fantasy-romance drama that evolves around a romance that blossoms between a star-crossed princess, named Yeon Hee, who becomes a white haired witch because of a curse, and a young doctor named Huh Jun.

'Mirror of the Witch' is going to be Yoon Si Yoon's first drama after finishing his military service, and he is going to play as none other than Huh Jun.

Huh Jun is an intelligent young man who also has great martial arts skills, but he gives up on pursuing his dreams because he is not the first son of the family. He attempts to enjoy his life as freely as possible, but he never passes away when he witnesses troubled people, and he contains great courage deep inside his heart. He dreams to make revenge to the world for looking down on him.

A few dramas had portrayed Huh Jun's life as the best doctor of Joseon, but 'Mirror of the Witch' is going to portray Huh Jun's youth and romance.

Kim Sae Ron is going to play as the star-crossed princess, Seo-ri. Seo-ri is a daughter of King Myungjong and his wife, who was born with the name of Yeon Hee, and she is a twin sister of Prince Soon-hoe. King Myungjong's wife, who could not get pregnant for years, finally succeeded in getting pregnant by a famous shaman's sorcery. She was pregnant with a twin, but one of them gets cursed because of the shaman’s sorcery.

Kim Sae Ron is going to play as both Princess Yeon Hee and white haired witch Seo-ri, and captivate many drama fans with her fabulous transformation.

Yoon Si Yoon earned a great number of fans through TV series like 'High Kick,' 'King of Baking, Kim Takgu,' 'Me Too, Flower,' and 'Flower Boys Next Door,' and he will also captivate many fans and viewers with his transformation.

Kim Sae Ron is celebrating her 8th debut anniversary this year even though her age is still very young. Kim Sae Ron made her debut in 2009, and quickly became one of the most anticipated young actresses of Korea, making serial hits with major films like 'The Man from Nowhere,' 'The Neighbors,' 'Do Hee,' drama 'Can You Heart My Heart,' and 'The Queen's Classroom.'

Kim Sae Ron is going to show another side of her in 'Mirror of the Witch,' as a cursed witch named Seo-ri, and as Princess Yeon Hee.

Many people are showing particularly huge anticipation for the romance that Huh Jun and Seo-ri will show in the drama.

Yoon Si Yoon said, "I was attracted by the unique plots. It has been a very long time since I have done a drama, and I feel even more excited because it is going to be the first historical drama of my career. I am very looking forward to my first shooting. I promise to do my best, and I hope that everyone would keep showing me the same love and supports."

Kim Sae Ron said, "I was attracted by the unique character of 'Seo-ri.' Seo-ri gets born as a princess of Joseon, but she turns into a witch because of a curse that was cast on her at her birth. I think this drama is going to be a great turning point of my career. It is true that I feel a little nervous, but I also feel very excited. I will keep doing my best."

Meanwhile, production director Cho Hyun Tak, who had directed drama 'Maids,' is paritipating in 'Mirror of the Witch' as the head director. 'Mirror of the Witch' is going to premiere in May as the sequel for 'Madam Antoine' and 'Ms. Temper & Nam Jung Gi.'

Yoon Si Yoon & Kim Sae Ron confirmed for drama 'Mirror of the Witch'

http://starn.hankyung.com/global/en/news/index.html?no=438080

interesting drama i'll add it to my list ...

Jo Dal Hwan (Huh Ok, a step brother of Huh Jun )   Huh Ok is a legitimate son of Huh Yoon and Huh Jun’s step brother.   He has everything but, because he always feels a sense of inferiority  with his dongsang Huh Jun who is more talented, more intelligent  and better looking, he meddles in every single thing Huh Jun does. 

Choi Seung Won (Dong Lae) a childhood friend of Huh Jun

1457509074825.jpg

http://www.xportsnews.com/jenter/?ac=article

Lee Sung Jae  (Choe Hyeon Seo, a protector of the princess Seo Ri, to fight with a villain shaman(Yeom Jung-ah) 

201603101725776146_56e12fe79ce48.jpg

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110371102

Well, I got curious  so I check the DB article ( just for insights) about the cast pairing. Oooh the readers comments. :sweatingbullets: Ha ha. I always just want to watch a good nice drama and if stars can bring out good acting despite the age thing then good.

I actually wanted to see KSR maybe something like The Professional (yup, that movie!) She'd do well with that kind of role.. action, drama or probably something 14 say no ha ha ( it's an old jdorama about highschooler who got pregnant and the journey she goes through).

Thanks for the updates. the genre is not my type of drama but I probably watch couple of episodes just to check KSR KSY LSJ. I'm not familiar with the male lead. I've not seen any of his dramas :)

23 hours ago, rachelyun said:

The scripts! :w00t:

Hi  It looks like MotW had a script reading already. Yes  3episodes!!   I guess Kim Sae Ron posted it on her IG during a script reading.  I’m glad to hear her cheerful comment about the drama.  :lol:

‘Who is the protagonist???? The title sound interesting~ I feel the ratings will be good (Jjang Jjang) hhh’  

JTBS 'Mirror of the Witch'  today(3/11) script reading

JTBC new F/Sa drama ‘Mirror of the Witch’ had a full script reading and dinner in 3/11.

The cast of MotW gathered at the JTBC Sangam building and worked together on the screenplay through episode 3.
After the script reading, they will have a light meal and rally around for the new project.
‘MotW’ is a fantasy
historical romance drama about love and maturing of an unfortunate princess Yeon Hee (Seo Ri) who was born cursed and white-haired,  and young and passionate Huh Jun who hides his angry fire in his heart.

Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron are cast as the main leads. The remaining cast includes Yeom Jung-ah, Kwak Si-yang, Choe Seong Won, Jo Dal-Hwan and Lee Sung jae.
According to the official,  the overall atmosphere seems cheerful and the cast are working well  together.  The script reading started at 2pm but  even after working more than 3 hours, the cast members’ concentration increases as they continue.

https://hankookilbo.com/v/a1950012395742fd71f4fdd4cba9414e

MotW: Kim Sae Ron, Yoon Shi Yoon, Lee Sung Jae, Yeom Jung Ah and  Kwak Si Yang                        

20160310190306985vfsu.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/drama/newsview?newsid=20160310190307581

@booha The script picture was originally posted by Kim Sae Ron's manager, and this actually is not her account, just a fanaccount. 

I can't wait for script reading pics! As always, thanks for taking your time to translate!

Btw yesterday Yoon Shi Yoon and Kwak Si Yang had a lesson to learn horse riding. Yay! Some action scenes please!!! :D

News bites: March 12, 2016

by awcoconuts | March 12, 2016 | 

LeeSungJae_ChoiSungWon_JoDalHwan1.jpg
Lee Sung-jae, Choi Sung-won, Jo Dal-hwan

• JTBC’s fusion fantasy romance sageuk Mirror of the Witch will include bromantic elements, too: Choi Sung-won (Answer Me 1988) will play the extremely loyal bestie of Heo Jun (Yoon Shi-yoon). The lead will need the moral support; Jo Dal-hwan(Sweet Savage Family) has been cast as Heo Jun’s half-brother, and he’ll hold a grudge against his smarter, handsomer and more skilled brother. Lee Sung-jae (Warm and Cozy) will also assist Yoon and Kim Sae-ron in standing against evil shaman Yeom Jung-ah, while falling for her in a “bloody romance” at the same time. The show with a little bit of everything will air on Fridays and Saturdays beginning in May.
    [Herald, Osen, Joongang]

cr. http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/news-bites-march-12-2016/

I am getting more and more excited! ^^ I can't wait for pictures of them together. 

On 3/11/2016 at 4:51 AM, jongski said:

Thanks for the updates. the genre is not my type of drama but I probably watch couple of episodes just to check KSR KSY LSJ. I'm not familiar with the male lead. I've not seen any of his dramas :)

@jongski I think you're gonna love Yoon Si Yoon! :D

Jang Hee-jin signs on as cursed queen in Mirror of the Witch

by girlfriday | March 14, 2016 | 5 Comments

JangHeeJin1.jpg

Will Jang Hee-jin (Village: Secret of Achiara, Scholar Who Walks the Night) ever play a character not cursed with a horrible fate? At least she does it well, and makes me sad for her tragic characters; I especially liked her last performance in Village, which made me think she was underutilized as the second lead in most of her projects. She’s due to return in JTBC’s fantasy sageuk Mirror of the Witch, where she’ll play a queen and mother toKim Sae-ron (High School: Love On).

The supernatural drama is a fantasy retelling of the life of famed Joseon medical scholar Heo Jun, played by Yoon Shi-yoon (Prime Minister and I). It uses a few key historical figures and then injects magic, shamans, witches, and curses into the universe, making for a fairytale-esque story about a cursed royal family in Joseon.

Jang Hee-jin will play a queen who makes a deal with the devil, or in this case Yeom Jung-ah (My Neighbor’s Wife), an evil shaman. Jang has been cast as Queen Insun, wife of King Myeongjong, who was childless and desperate to have heirs. Historically they’re known to only have had one child, a prince, but in the drama the queen will have twins — a prince and his hidden sister, a princess with a curse.

Kim Sae-ron will play the princess who carries her mother’s curse and is abandoned by her family because of it. She has the frozen heart of a witch inside of her, and she’ll have a dual role as both the princess and the witch. Jang Hee-jin seems too young to play her mother, but Kim Sae-ron is playing a white-haired old witch too, so I think they’re going to do funny things with age in this drama.

Yoon Shi-yoon will play a young Heo Jun, a passionate young man who’s gifted in arts, sciences, and martial arts, but kept from achieving his dreams because of his low social status. He lives a carefree life not living up to his full potential and just helping out the people he crosses paths with, until one day he meets Kim Sae-ron and falls in love with her. I don’t know if they’ll be able to pull off a convincing romance, no matter how fantastical, but the story does intrigue me, I’ll give them that.

Kwak Shi-yang, Lee Sung-jae, Choi Sung-won, and Jo Dal-hwan will co-star. Mirror of the Witch will be a Friday-Saturday drama following Ms. Temper and Nam Jung-ki in May.

Via Xports News, Sports Chosun

cr. http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/jang-hee-jin-signs-on-as-cursed-queen-in-mirror-of-the-witch/

Archived