[Drama 2016] 38 Task Force (Squad 38) / 38사기동대 / Special eps (8/12) @11 PM KST (OCN)

Guest phi3nk

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 15 was quite superb and not as bad with the double-crossing as I had expected. It all made sense... not at all convoluted for the sake of being so. In fact, I found it all quite consistently funny. I was shaking my head, sighing while complimenting the writer for his amazing insights into the human condition.

I think the writer is a bit of a genius in that he dealt with all the criticisms and objections viewers have come up with. The bad guys aren't stupid, things don't always go the way the good guys want and there are consequences for betraying people and disposing of them like hot potatoes.

There were two really powerful moments in that episode. The first one was when Hak Joo confessed to being the mole and Jung Do apologized. I actually cried during that scene because that was exactly the right thing to do to diffuse the entire situation. There are no excuses for betrayal or at the very least, letting people down. A little humility went a long way. The beauty of it was that I wasn't really angry with Hak Joo and no one was because he acted consistently with who he is.

The other scene was between Mayor Chun and Chairman Choi in the Big Man's office. That must be one of my favourite moments in the entire series. Two frenemies sitting in the same room, one of them trying to wriggle free from the clutches of the other. For the first time, I had a sneaking admiration for Chairman Choi. I always knew that he was a smart fella to reach the kind of position that he has but there's something admirable about a man who knows that he's not a good man and doesn't even pretend to be. The old man is perceptive in his own way. A pity he couldn't use it outside of lining his pockets and the manipulation of people to maintain those pockets. The contrast was palpable to Mayor Chun's self-delusion that he was some kind of righteous politician who seems to believe that the end justifies the means.

I guess it wouldn't be a K drama if the good guys aren't backed into a corner at this late stage ;) but I hope the good guys win. Not because I think collecting taxes are the most important thing but because it's nice to see the little guys get their reward for taking on the Big Bads.

And I end this post with a timely word from Edmund Burke: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Now that I watched the last episode in English I think is THE BEST finale for this drama!!!! It's just beyond perfection, even if we still have many black holes in the story!!!!

After listening the explanation why JD went to jail it make all sense and is the most appropriated finale for the message that the writer was trying to project since the begging. The law and people using the law (let me call this the group A) benefit and protect the powerful and rich (Group B), and doing so both A and B become criminals at the end (Group C). JD was not an exception, he was part of the C group since the beginning. The con job is a crime. Him sacrificing himself to protect the others is not because he was doing the role of a hero, but because that was the right thing to do! He has to pay for his crimes too. If he avoid the punishment, immediately he will become exactly as group A and B, the ones that he was fight against side by side with BSI.

I wish "38 Task Force" wins as the Best Drama of 2016, because is the BEST!!!!!

SIG as the Best actor... he is an amazing talented one!!!! and MDS and him as the Best Bromance of 2016 as well!!!! 

Sadly we can not wish for SIG and CSY as the Best Couple!

The writer and the director did a wonderful job and they deserve to be rewarded with a prize as well! I'm going to look forward for more of their future works.

I have to tell you.............................................. I'm watching "Bad Guys" right now HAHAHAHAHA ..............Watching episode 3!!! ............. I could not stand the curiosity :P:D

ah last episode to go...

For the way they make it seem in ep 15, shall i say everything is a ruse..

That corrupt policeman is also part of the team because there is one consistent theme in this series- don't hurt people or else they take revenge..and this episode was all about revenge and hurt..

YD got stabbed by a member of his team because he ditched them last time

Ahn stabbed main villain because he got stabbed by him and stayed by the mayor..

the first con guy who went to jail stabbed the business man villain because he is angry over being left out..

Then why would the policeman not be angry with Bang Pil gyu for cutting him out.. :o

how mistakenw as i :(

I would be thrilled to bits if Jung Do did become a member of the Bad Guys. Thrilled beyond belief. To have SIG and Park Hae Jin in a scene together would be too delicious for words. And Jo Dong Hyuk too. JD would bring a different skill set to the team... a Templeton Peck to the Bad Guys A Team. I didn't even realise we needed Jung Do in Bad Guys 2 but yesssss... I would never object. *fanning self*

These last couple of episodes were really top-notch storytelling. They had everything: political maneouvering, connivances, opportunities, humour and even pathos. Everyone who wanted it, got a shot at redemption and on that basis, the writer did a sterling job drawing all the threads together in one last hurrah. It was obvious that there was a con in there somewhere but who, what, when, why, how... that was the writer's opportunity to shine brightly before taking his final bow.

In the end the mayor found the path to freedom by giving up on the political career he had been clinging onto. Free of the clutches of the man who financed him, and those who would wish to ride on the coattails of his success. He had dug himself into a deep ditch over time. Trying to dig himself out of it, only made him sink further still. His arc reminded me of the Frank Capra classic, Mr Smith Goes to Washington. Or more specifically the Claude Rains character, Joseph Pains who started his political career with all the ideals of someone who wanted to change things but instead became part of the graft machinery. That scene of the mayor sitting in a dimly lit office looking dejected as he felt his world caving all round him was symbolic of the loneliness his climb to the top of city hall had brought. Ahn Nae Sang was top stuff as he brought his usual understated acting to the mix, putting layers and nuance to the character. Somewhere along the way, this was a good man who lost sight of what was really important, lost his moral compass as he sank bit by bit into the mire of corruption. 

:bawling: Dear Jung Do... He made himself the fall guy in this entire sorry saga which I found deeply moving. When he and BSI exchanged words while they passed each other along the corridor... I felt that he had shed his cockiness for something meaningful. He was at peace with what he was doing. Although he had surrounded himself with people, they were cogs in the machinery of cons. His bromance with BSI made him look outside of himself and apply his skill set to helping rather than taking.

This was for me one of the year's best which is saying a lot because there have been quite a number of good shows of late. I don't believe the success of the show lay only in the execution of sophisticated schemes. The fact that it was grounded in the life of an ordinary civil servant and populist politics obviously resonated with audiences also.

Here’s Why Viewers Are Demanding A Second Season Of “Squad 38”

Here’s Why Viewers Are Demanding A Second Season Of “Squad 38”

“Squad 38” wrapped up its final episode on August 6, and viewers are already demanding a second season.

The drama was a surprise hit, recording the highest viewership rating ever received by an OCN original series. Although it started off on June 17 with only 1.6 percent, it quickly rose to 4.1 percent by its last episode.

Many viewers were drawn to the drama by its excellent story and brilliant acting. “Squad 38” tells the story of a tax official named Baek Sung Il (Ma Dong Seok) who teams up with the con man Yang Jung Do (Seo In Guk) and creates a task force to stop wealthy people using illegal shortcuts to evade taxes.

The writer of the drama had previously written about similar themes involving con men. This particular story touches on the idea of “cleaning up” a great evil by committing lesser evils, a theme that translated well both domestically and abroad. The concept of con artists teaming up to stop a greater evil was well-received among audiences as well.

Meanwhile, Ma Dong Seok’s tough-guy image and skill in action scenes gave the drama its thrills, but his “secret” warmer side gave it its heart. He did an excellent job at portraying a character who has little tact or special talent, but is persistent in the face of fire, while his attempts at learning from the con artists created funny moments.

Seo In Guk also impressed with his chemistry with the veteran actor, as well as the charm and suavity he brought to the role of the sly con artist, reminiscent of the fox from Disney’s “Zootopia.” The villains also played up to their roles, making the audiences clench their fists and raising the tension.

.Source:http://www.soompi.com/2016/08/06/heres-viewers-demanding-second-season-squad-38/

some more BTS pics and vids

first one is shooting SIG's last scene and his interview afterwards

it really looks like tha cast had a great time while filrming the drama

MOD EDIT: Put large files and multiple pictures in spoiler tag

Spoiler

Last picture spam before I'm off to watch the end enjoy the last two episodes with subs. Will be back with a proper impression post later on.

But before that I would just share how much I do love the black'n'white cartoon feel they used for the last end credits. It nicely underlines the cool and sophisticated vibe/style the show was aiming for. And jugding from how often these scenes were used on instagram many others felt the same...

MOD EDIT: Put large files and multiple pictures in spoiler tag

Spoiler

I can't say goodbye yet... :(

I love the last two episodes. I have to say that I shed a tear when Sung Il and Jung Do say goodbye to each other... and Jung Do called him Hyung... that was really bittersweet. Everyone back to their daily life, but Jung Do sacrifice himself and goes to jail, and when the rest of the squad looks shocked, oh my God... It's actually right and natural as he is still a conman like he said, but wrong at the same time for me because I can't bear at the thought that he isn't free after all he's been through :(. But looks like he will make a new friend in jail, lol

I'm glad that although his taxes has been paid, Sung Il still comes to meet CCW to tell it directly to him hahaha

There is so much I want to write but I don't know why I can't express it, there's still this lingering feeling in my mind about what I just watch. At the end they said that they will be back? Is that mean they will really make a season 2 of the drama, then?

Assuming that there will be another mashup season for 38 task force and bad guys, what kind of genre will writer-nim use? Haha, bad guys is more of a serious and a little gore when it comes to solving tasks meanwhile the con team just fools their victims. And if SIG and PHJ's character meet what kind of bromance will be form? Ohhhhh my delulu mind hahahaha

@pafaccio guess i need to rewatch from the beginning, i'm lost with all the cons that happened haha

What an amazing show this has been.  Such great writing, everything else flowed from there.  Thoroughly entertaining in the best way.  So happy for Seo In Guk!  

To mark the great ending of the drama, I thought I would post this image from EP 16.  It caught my eye and i couldn't let it go by.  I don't know if any one else noticed but the background painting on the left is of the background of Kings' chambers in saguks (historical dramas).  It depicts the sun and the moon, a symbol of all omnipotent power of monarchy.  Oh the writers of Squad 38, I honour you!

iSyCqP6.png

The drama ends! It ends already! End!

I'm watching the latest episode with my feeling in a complete mess. First 10 minutes, second ten minutes, I watched in despair. Still believe that it's all planned but somehow I can't feel assured myself. And then the cheeky fun soundtrack is playing and I found my breath. Amazingly amazing. And then just when a smile is about to pop up in my face, jungdo is sacrificing himself. I lost it all. I'm happy but I'm not. It's ending nicely, the story is making sense but jungdo is just... Ah how long will he stay in prison now?

and btw, who is dumping money in the university?

ah the last scene made up my day though :D

I so loved the last two episodes...

Writer-nim is just awesome in weaving a tightly-knit net that kept us drawn to the story. This show had so many layers and various cons that it was an amazing ride to follow along each and every week. And as I already expected yesterday, watching with subs confirmed that there as still enough questions unanswered for creating the second season everyone is craving for... Just a few points I can think of right now would be:

I. What is the background story of chairman Wang - why did he go to jail and how did he meet YJD? Connected to that how did YJD save his life and what was the bond that kept Chairman Wang helping YJD even if he lost money with it?

II. What happened to commissioner Ahn? Cause he should have been one of those arrested as he was seen as the lackey of the mayor who received the money from chairman Chun via YJD, but when the mayor held his press-con he was still running free and listening to it while sitting in his car. Considering that he took the call from his wife and told her he will be late I could not shake the feeling that he contemplated committing suicide in his car instead of being put in jail. Anyone else who had this feeling? Or he already had a plan B of how to leave the mess and country behind and he will be the big bad out on revenge for the con-team in season 2?

III. What kind of deal did YJD make with the prosecutor? I'm quite sure he got some kind of deal in reducing his sentence as he was the chief-witness for the prosecutors and in most countries this would allow for a reduced sentence. So maybe he soon will be out on parole again?

IV. Why is chairman Chun still not in jail? He just lost a bit of money but he wasn't send to jail? So is he alredy planning his big revenge (hello season 2) and who else did he buy and controll with his money that we do not know off yet? Cause maybe he also bought someone on a higher level than just the city-level and that's why he is still out of jail?

V. How could CSH be involved in raiding chariman Chun at the end? That seemed like a minor flaw as I assume the press will have digging her relationship with the myor sooner or later and that their relationship would hamper any attempt to prosecute the chairman - how can the daughter of the one receiving bribes from Chun be the one collecting his taxes without being doubted of being involved in the shady relationships between her father and him before they were revealed? Even if she isn't there would be enough reasonable suspicion to actually put her under investigation by the prosecutors and public scrutiny in most countries? Due to the family-ties she should not be involved in anything related to the investigated cases as long as she could be suspected as well - at least until she is officially found and declared innocent - as the defence counsels of Chun, old cop or Ahn could try to use it for their benefits creating doubts during the judical proceedings.

VI. What happened to the old leader of tax team 2 and the intern that was in coma? Did they recover? Are they or their families secretly supported (financially) by the tax team?

VII. How are the poeple of the Maseok-Dong district actually saved? Was the redevelopment stopped just because a new mayor took over? And even if it was halted how could they be sure it isn't just temporarily? Does our con-team have any indiscriminating documents that could give them the power to stop the redevelopment forever? Or could the fight just be paused and the second season could show round 2 of a long-running battle?

How about all of you? What do you think @Mau_Cherry, @thecrazedkfangirl, @phi3nk, @pafaccio@jongski, @psycribbler, @alekaonu, @catocat, @40somethingahjumma, @ituaku, @elviraxxx, @l3ros, @vieedha, @holyfea, @xxPeepsxx, @blnmom, @knightauror, @bebebisous33, @pangia, @inkblotstains, @peachviolet, @MiAmour, @kimnabong, @luci888, @enigmatic_zephy, @popscreen7, @letzparty @seungshin and all the others I forgot to personally tag? Anything else you think is still left open? Let's try to create a list of things, issues that could still be adressed as they are not completely revealed yet?

@knightauror concerning the money for the university I think it's safe to assume that it's still our con-team behind it. Cause when BSI and YJD met at the prosecutor's office they agreed that each of them should continue fighting the bad with their means and own ways. And the rest of the con-team also realized that YJD went into jail after taking the blame and rescuing them all from getting their involvement revealed. We could see that the team is still meeting up and we saw that BSI is back at being a chief on the tax office (tax team 2 now). And the news report gave us the info that the director of the university was charged to be corrupt that he was met with a property-con before the anonymous donation for the university was made. So I assume their current working routine is the following - whenenver BSI finds out someone is corrupt and taking dirty money during his tax-investigations, he drops some hints to his friends without being directly being involved (as him being directly involved could be found out and risk his position as public official). And afterwards the team cons those BSI tells them before the money conned from them is later on donated anonymously (as it doesn't seem to be tax money considering the fact that they already conned the the outstanding taxes 2 years ago). Cause BSI looked rather pleased with the nows report and CSH gave him a proud side-eye, so I think she at least suspects his indirect involvement here as well.

I'm also trying to figure out how a second season could look like. At least for me it feels like the whole team is actually waiting for YJD to be released - their friendship and bonding still seems to be on. And considering the fact that YJD was the chief-witness and that his ties with chairman Wang seems to be strong enough that he could actually ask chairman Wang to act like he is selling him out, I like to imagine that he well have enough people working on getting a parole for him again. Additionally we learned that Papa Bear's Park Woong Chul is also expected to be released soon  - that would on the one hand give enough time for YJD and PWC to bond and secondly it would allow for them 'incidentally' be released around the same time and give the con-team a new member now that BSI cannot directly join them any longer. Cause BSI promised YJD to do everything needed for keeping his job - so maybe in season 2 BSI will be the one in the background giving them their cases and the con-team now including PWC would than start to work on them.

Or how do you imagine a season 2 could look like?

Guest phi3nk

Wrap Up party tonight... although sadly SIG and Lee Sun Bin couldn't attend this farewell party.

Oh Dae Hwan

CpQSf44UsAAj9Ej.jpg

Spoiler

CpQSf45VYAQOdir.jpg

CpQSf45VIAEVyv8.jpg

CpQSf4-VIAApO6v.jpg

CpQHlHNUsAApDiu.jpg

Sooyoung

Spoiler

CpQEUd5VUAEHbFX.jpg

CpQEUeGUIAAPSGc.jpg

CpQEUeXUIAAoKqC.jpg

CpQEUeuVMAAkJ_m.jpg

CpQFXJYVIAASgCw.jpg

CpQFXKcUEAA_Ixa.jpg

CpQFXK9UsAALIXP.jpg

simple, casual but still beautiful

Other cast and crew

Spoiler

CpQmNXiUEAAr-MT.jpg

OMG!!!! What happen with our PD-nim??? he has tattoo on his arm but he can do aegyo, hahaha.... I thought he kind of person who always looks serious and a bit stern.

Hoaaaaa.... I'm going to miss this gang....

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

[...]

This was for me one of the year's best which is saying a lot because there have been quite a number of good shows of late. I don't believe the success of the show lay only in the execution of sophisticated schemes. The fact that it was grounded in the life of an ordinary civil servant and populist politics obviously resonated with audiences also.

Well said.  I agrees one of the years best! 38 Task Force! 

If  viewers  haven't seen and followed this drama from start to finish, they will never understand. Execution of the show and how it's written and the actors, yep this is again one of the years best.

And If I have to give best writer/ screenplay, best directing, best actor, best ensemble cast...38 TF will get all the awards!

We want to make special mention of PD Nim.. for brilliant witty smart drama.

9 hours ago, letzparty said:

Tnms ratings for the last episode is 6.7 wow..... SIG Rocks

This drama deserves rocket high ratings! Well deserved! :)

What a great way to end a drama on high note. Thank you OCN. I'm looking forward to new action drama again! I love anything OC.. but please spare me vampire dramas... noooo I don't like! :D

I'm so sad that this drama ends :bawling:

It's so great.. The script is consistent from ep 1 to ep 16. No boring episode. Each episode is so intense and I concentrate hard while watching.

Always find Seo In Guk cool but he's super cool here :w00t: Never see Ma Dong Seok ahjussi acts as a "weak" man before and he did great! I love the squad bond.. Some of them betrayed once but admitted it and become great team again.. I love that Jungdo always trusts BSI ahjussi.. I love that Mijoo never betrays Youngdo even if her love always one-sided.. She appears as ignorant looking girl but she's kind and loves her members.. She lets Jawang calls her noona, she takes care of the guys in hospital ^_^ I really like Ma Jin Seok in the end. He really becomes a good guy hhahahah still can't believe hahahah :D:P

The last mission seems simple but it's actually hard.. But I don't understand why only Jungdo and detective Sa who got in the jail :( I'm glad that there's Ma Dong Seok's another character in the jail hahahahha

I'm planning to watch Bad Guys now. I watched ep 1 but the characters seems too cocky so I stopped :P Gonna watch it since I love 38 Task Force~~~

I really love love the twists~~ I always in awe every time a twist came out, and I'm already used to it since Jungdo enters the jail after trapped by Choi Chul Woo.. The bad thing is, after watching this drama I always doubting people hahaha who knows when twist of life will come hhahaha

Thankyou script writer for great story and consistent writing, director who handle the twist beautifully, the staff members who make this drama, the cast members for your wonderful acting :heart:

3 hours ago, Lady_Fay said:

I so loved the last two episodes...

Writer-nim is just awesome in weaving a tightly-knit net that kept us drawn to the story. This show had so many layers and various cons that it was an amazing ride to follow along each and every week. And as I already expected yesterday, watching with subs confirmed that there as still enough questions unanswered for creating the second season everyone is craving for... Just a few points I can think of right now would be:

I. What is the background story of chairman Wang - why did he go to jail and how did he meet YJD? Connected to that how did YJD save his life and what was the bond that kept Chairman Wang helping YJD even if he lost money with it?

II. What happened to commissioner Ahn? Cause he should have been one of those arrested as he was seen as the lackey of the mayor who received the money from chairman Chun via YJD, but when the mayor held his press-con he was still running free and listening to it while sitting in his car. Considering that he took the call from his wife and told her he will be late I could not shake the feeling that he contemplated committing suicide in his car instead of being put in jail. Anyone else who had this feeling? Or he already had a plan B of how to leave the mess and country behind and he will be the big bad out on revenge for the con-team in season 2?

III. What kind of deal did YJD make with the prosecutor? I'm quite sure he got some kind of deal in reducing his sentence as he was the chief-witness for the prosecutors and in most countries this would allow for a reduced sentence. So maybe he soon will be out on parole again?

IV. Why is chairman Chun still not in jail? He just lost a bit of money but he wasn't send to jail? So is he alredy planning his big revenge (hello season 2) and who else did he buy and controll with his money that we do not know off yet? Cause maybe he also bought someone on a higher level than just the city-level and that's why he is still out of jail?

V. How could CSH be involved in raiding chariman Chun at the end? That seemed like a minor flaw as I assume the press will have digging her relationship with the myor sooner or later and that their relationship would hamper any attempt to prosecute the chairman - how can the daughter of the one receiving bribes from Chun be the one collecting his taxes without being doubted of being involved in the shady relationships between her father and him before they were revealed? Even if she isn't there would be enough reasonable suspicion to actually put her under investigation by the prosecutors and public scrutiny in most countries? Due to the family-ties she should not be involved in anything related to the investigated cases as long as she could be suspected as well - at least until she is officially found and declared innocent - as the defence counsels of Chun, old cop or Ahn could try to use it for their benefits creating doubts during the judical proceedings.

VI. What happened to the old leader of tax team 2 and the intern that was in coma? Did they recover? Are they or their families secretly supported (financially) by the tax team?

VII. How are the poeple of the Maseok-Dong district actually saved? Was the redevelopment stopped just because a new mayor took over? And even if it was halted how could they be sure it isn't just temporarily? Does our con-team have any indiscriminating documents that could give them the power to stop the redevelopment forever? Or could the fight just be paused and the second season could show round 2 of a long-running battle?

How about all of you? What do you think @Mau_Cherry, @thecrazedkfangirl, @phi3nk, @pafaccio@jongski, @psycribbler, @alekaonu, @catocat, @40somethingahjumma, @ituaku, @elviraxxx, @l3ros, @vieedha, @holyfea, @xxPeepsxx, @blnmom, @knightauror, @bebebisous33, @pangia, @inkblotstains, @peachviolet, @MiAmour, @kimnabong, @luci888, @enigmatic_zephy, @popscreen7, @letzparty @seungshin and all the others I forgot to personally tag? Anything else you think is still left open? Let's try to create a list of things, issues that could still be adressed as they are not completely revealed yet?

Today I finally came back from my trip (abroad) therefore I had been so quiet for a long time!!;)

Sorry to cut your post but I wanted to answer to the underlined question. CCW could avoid paying his taxes before because

- he had the support of the mayor and the prosecutor's office

- he wasn't on the news: he never acted like a rich person that's why a journalist couldn't prove that CCW was wealthy.

Remember, when CSH tried to use the media to force BGP to pay his taxes, the latter could manipulate the media so that he was seen as a victim. Here, it was different: since CCW had no idea about the con, the reporter filmed YJD and the money so that the pictures of the money's transfer were shown to the public. Here, CCW couldn't manipulate the media and the public opinion. His name was mentioned with the amount of not paid taxes and the money was shown in that context so that he could never act as if the official workers from the tax bureau were targeting him and he was a victim. Moreover, CCW couldn't use the mayor and the prosecutor in order to stop the procedure as they had dropped him.

I really liked the drama but I was kind of missing the friend detective Park. After getting caught, we don't know what happened to him.

I agree with @40somethingahjumma that it would be great if YJD was added to the drama "Bad guys" Season 2!!!:)

Archived