Server error 500

mysignisflower

Question

6 answers to this question

I don't have an answer, haha.  Just wanted to say that I noticed this and posted in the software upgrade thread about it a long time ago and no one answered me.  It's not just the directories, but that's where it's most noticeable since it's just a collection of links.  It's all the links that were created in the old forum that point to specific threads or posts.  Most/all of the threads in the directories existed before the forum move, so all those links would have been created before the move, in the old forum, and therefore, they're all non-functional now. 

I think there is not way to fix it, other than manually updating the links.  Which I have noticed that someone has been slowly working on in at least one of the directories.  And I finally gave up and started fixing links manually in the threads I update.

I want to piggyback on your question a little though: when exactly did the links stop working?  I really thought the old links still worked in the weeks/months following the initial forum move.  It was only after the most recent upgrade that I realized that they didn't work.  Either I was wrong that the links stayed functional for a while after the move, or it only happened with the upgrade.  I'm just curious :)

Hope someone answers with a better answer than me, though.

@mysignisflower and @ecs707a those links are indeed links to the old forum. With the migration, a lot of those old links were broken. I assume they worked as long as the old forum was still running, but the latest upgrade might have been the end for the old forum. Don't know for sure though but it's the most logical explanation I can think of.

The main issue here is that we need to check and relink every broken link manually. It's a painstaking process which indeed takes a lot of time and effort. At some point, we hope to be ready, preferably before the year 2142, but that's an optimistic guess ;) We're working on it though. If you happen to come across a broken link, don't hesitate to report it though. You can do that either here or in the thread itsself with the report function. We'll get on it as soon as humanly possible :)

In the meantime, sorry for the inconvenience :( 

20 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

The main issue here is that we need to check and relink every broken link manually. It's a painstaking process which indeed takes a lot of time and effort. At some point, we hope to be ready, preferably before the year 2142, but that's an optimistic guess ;) We're working on it though. If you happen to come across a broken link, don't hesitate to report it though. You can do that either here or in the thread itsself with the report function. We'll get on it as soon as humanly possible :)

In the meantime, sorry for the inconvenience :( 

Would it be helpful to crowdsource? :)  I know I already had to look some dramas up to fix some links, so I'd be able to "donate" the updated links for those really easily (if they haven't been updated already).  Perhaps if the directories were temporarily organized into sections: broken links and updated links or something.  Then people could help our busy mods fix things faster.  We post, they fix, they delete our posts (no glory, lol) like all posts get deleted in those threads. 

Also, while on the subject, would it be possible to request that the drama and movie directory be updated with categories/some indication of archived vs. active threads?  That's a new thing in the new forum, right?  The archiving of ancient/inactive threads.  Would be semi-useful to know which threads are read-only, I guess.

39 minutes ago, ecs707a said:

Would it be helpful to crowdsource? :)  I know I already had to look some dramas up to fix some links, so I'd be able to "donate" the updated links for those really easily (if they haven't been updated already).  Perhaps if the directories were temporarily organized into sections: broken links and updated links or something.  Then people could help our busy mods fix things faster.  We post, they fix, they delete our posts (no glory, lol) like all posts get deleted in those threads. 

Also, while on the subject, would it be possible to request that the drama and movie directory be updated with categories/some indication of archived vs. active threads?  That's a new thing in the new forum, right?  The archiving of ancient/inactive threads.  Would be semi-useful to know which threads are read-only, I guess.

I'll point the ppl in power towards your suggestions. I think it would be nice if Soompiers would be able to help out, but I have no idea if that's what the admins and other mods would enjoy too. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll let you know how things develop :)

Archived