@VNFAN MBC sure likes to tease! Ha ha. 6 second teaser of  Monster.. Last week first 9 second teaser for GMB ( but  followed it with a 1 min and another 37s teaser ).

@badsmuler thanks for the stills. He's a beggar who becomes rich and powerful and will destroy corporations and political systems and the corrupt? @pechumori @ecs707a is how that story is? The title is Monster? or Tyrant? I prefer the latter. Yup. much better.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jongski said:

@badsmuler thanks for the stills. He's a beggar who becomes rich and powerful and will destroy corporations and political systems and the corrupt? @pechumori @ecs707a is how that story is? The title is Monster? or Tyrant? I prefer the latter. Yup. much better.

@jongski, MBC has decided to use the title "Monster" according to Hancinema, "it is a beautiful love story of a man whose life is taken away from him by a great scheme and strives for revenge".

6 hours ago, jongski said:

@VNFAN MBC sure likes to tease! Ha ha. 6 second teaser of  Monster.. Last week first 9 second teaser for GMB ( but  followed it with a 1 min and another 37s teaser ).

@jongski...if i'm not mistaken he was rich before...his uncle ( Jung bo suk ) is the one behind the mess... :bawling:

Same with you, i prefer with Tyrant because i'm sometimes confuse with Korean movie " Monster " from Lee min ki... :blush:

Kang Ji Hwan's extreme transformation in "Monster"
translated by Pechumori
March 1, 2016

76752353.1.jpg

Kang Ji Hwan attempted to do an extreme makeover.

Kang Ji Hwan who will make a TV comeback via the new MBC drama "Monster" as Kang Ki Tan has unveiled shocking photos from the drama stills.

In the photos released, Kang Ji Hwan showed two eye-catching images, a charming figure wearing a perfectly fitted suit and a dowdy looking man on the street.

In particular, the image of Kang Ji Hwan with a cane and a basket, sitting and playing the harmonica in a dark underpass and the extreme opposite image of a sophisticated charmer has increased expectations and interest.

Kang Ji Hwan plays the role of Lee Kook-Chul, who lost his parents at an early age and after barely surviving from the crisis of death because of his Uncle Byun Il Jae (played by Jung Bo Suk), gets renamed as Kang Ki Tan. Kang Ki Tan, who possess excellent hearing and superb intuition and underwent years of physical training, now raises a serious question regarding the information of his street life.

Kang Ji Hwan, who maximized the difference between the two extreme images, a neat look and a real homeless man, conducted the shooting in two days. In order to portray the scene of playing the harmonica naturally, he practiced playing the instrument with enthusiasm prior to the filming of the scene.

The production crew said "Kang Ji Hwan is an actor who wants perfection in every scene. He thinks of preparing for a scene before shooting it. We ask for a lot of expectation for the drama, Monster, so you can see the value of Kang Ji Hwan properly."

On the other hand, "Monster" is a revenge drama of a man who has been deprived of his family and life due to the conspiracy of a huge power group.

The first episode will air on March 28 at 10 pm.

credit: http://sports.donga.com/3/all/20160229/76752360/1

1 hour ago, pechumori said:

Kang Ji Hwan's extreme transformation in "Monster"
translated by Pechumori
March 1, 2016

Kang Ji Hwan plays the role of Lee Kook-Chul, who lost his parents at an early age and after barely surviving from the crisis of death because of his Uncle Byun Il Jae (played by Jung Bo Suk), gets renamed as Kang Ki Tan. Kang Ki Tan, who possess excellent hearing and superb intuition and underwent years of physical training, now raises a serious question regarding the information of his street life.

Kang Ji Hwan, who maximized the difference between the two extreme images, a neat look and a real homeless man, conducted the shooting in two days. In order to portray the scene of playing the harmonica naturally, he practiced playing the instrument with enthusiasm prior to the filming of the scene.

The first episode will air on March 28 at 10 pm.

credit: http://sports.donga.com/3/all/20160229/76752360/1

Oh, okay.  He does have two names.  Kook Chul I saw a lot in earlier articles, and then it seemed like they called him Ki Tan more often, so I assumed they changed the character's name.  Not so!  Real name: Kook Chul; assumed name: Ki Tan.  Got it. :)

And do I get my silly wish of hearing the harmonica playing?  Haha.  Why does the thought of that amuse me so?  Also the practicing with enthusiasm. 

@ecs707a Park Ki Woong is looking cute! Yes, I think he had hair extensions.

and regarding KJH's character, he got reborn.  :D

so does the mad scientist help him acquire that excellent sense of hearing and superb intuition? :phew:

Sung Yuri's first shooting stills from "Monster" released
translated by Pechumori
March 2, 2016

201603020813153472_l.jpg

MBC's new drama "Monster" released the first shooting stills of Sung Yuri who plays the role of Oh Soo Yeon.

In the photos released, Sung Yuri is seen wearing big glasses and a comfortable attire, with her hair neatly tied at the back, looking like a job applicant. In particular, Sung Yuri appears to be focusing her attention while biting on her handkerchief.

The production team of "Monster" said that "Actress Sung Yuri's bright energy and charm will add to the vitality of her character, Oh Soo Yeon",

Sung Yuri as Oh Soo Yeon nurtures a dream of becoming successful. After her father died, she saves money to enable her to care for her autistic younger brother. She studies at night and works during the day at a law firm. In addition, after joining the Do Do group, she is expected to form a strange love triangle between two men, Kang Ki Tan (played by Kang Ji Hwan) and Do Gun Woo (played by Park Ki Woong).

In order to naturally portray Oh Soo Yeon, a tough and unaffected character, meticulous attention has been given to Sung Yuri's hair, costume and accessories.

credit: http://www.fnnews.com/news/201603020813157372

Park Ki Woong transforms as a blond rebel
translated by Pechumori
March 2, 2016

Z8hkXPO.jpg

Actor Park Ki Woong returns as a rebel in the drama "Monster".

Park Ki Woong will start his passionate performance in the drama "Monster" as Do Gun Woo, the abandoned, illigitimate son of the Dodo group.

In the drama, Park Ki Woong as the arrogantly charming, Do Gun Woo will meet  Oh Soo Yeon (played by Sung Yuri) and get entangled in an ill-fated relationship with her. He and Kang Ki Tan (played by Kang Ji Hwan) will become rivals for the affection of Oh Soo Yeon. After failing to gain the approval of his father, Chairman Do Choong (played by Park Young Gyu), Do Gun Woo, with the help of Byun Il Jae (played by Jung Bo Suk) will be transformed into a heartless monster.

The published photo shows the transformation of Park Ki Woong into a rebellious figure. With his blond hair and his facial expression and gaze, Park Ki Woong has immersed himself into his character Do Gun Woo and has attracted more attention. Park Ki Woong challenged himself to show off the free-spirited blond and chic character.

According to the production crew of "Monster", "Park Ki Woong has gained the admiration of the drama officials for his excellent acting skills despite his absence of two years." "In growing anticipation for the drama, he made thorough preparation after reading the script and has shown a passion for acting. Without a doubt, he will captivate the TV screens as an actor."

credit: http://www.xportsnews.com/jenter/?ac=article_view&entry_id=698624

1 hour ago, pechumori said:

@ecs707a Park Ki Woong is looking cute! Yes, I think he had hair extensions.

and regarding KJH's character, he got reborn.  :D

so does the mad scientist help him acquire that excellent sense of hearing and superb intuition? :phew:

Haha, is Ki Tan a superhero?  Or just a normal kdrama hero, who of course is special and talented in so many ways.  ;)

This drama is sounding weirder and weirder, lol.  But I totally want to see how all these things fit together. :)  I'd be okay with a superhero origin story variant on the classic revenge story.  With a side of corporate spying and my hellraiser doing...whatever it is he's going to do (aside from being a troublemaker, haha).

But this:

26 minutes ago, pechumori said:

After failing to gain the approval of his father, Chairman Do Choong (played by Park Young Gyu), Do Gun Woo, with the help of Byun Il Jae (played by Jung Bo Suk) will be transformed into a heartless monster.

Byun Il Jae is Ki Tan's uncle, right?  So he both saves Ki Tan and somehow makes Gun Woo into a monster?

How much of this is going to be workplace-type stuff?  So much is centered on the Dodo Group that I feel like there's got to be some of that too. 

And why oh why do we have not even a tiny hint of why Sung Yuri's character is biting a handkerchief?  Is this normal behavior?  :D

Here's a super-belated article about Ki Kwang's appearance in the drama:

"Monster - 2016", BEAST Gi-kwang makes special appearance

2016/03/01

photo696394.jpg

The MBC drama "Monster - 2016" is the story of a man standing against the unfair and the unjust.

"Monster - 2016" is directed by director Joo Seong-woo who also made "The Legendary Witch", "A Hundred Year's Inheritance", "Hooray for Love" and more.

The cast for the drama are as follows: Kang Ji-hwan, Seong Yoo-ri, Park Ki-woong, Soo Hyeon, Jeong Bo-seok, Park Yeong-gyoo, Lee Deok-hwa, Kim Bo-yeon, Jeong Woong-in, Kim Hye-eun, Lee El, Jin Tae-hyeon and more.

Lee Ki-gwang from the idol group BEAST is also making a special appearance.

"Monster - 2016" will be broadcast on the 28th of March at 10PM.

credit: original / Hancinema

6 minutes ago, ecs707a said:

And why oh why do we have not even a tiny hint of why Sung Yuri's character is biting a handkerchief?  Is this normal behavior? 

Biting the handkerchief helps you answer the test questions?  :D

We are getting more details but the plot is still a bit  vague.

15 minutes ago, pechumori said:

Biting the handkerchief helps you answer the test questions?  :D

We are getting more details but the plot is still a bit  vague.

It's just mentioned so casually!  It could be a thing, I don't know...haha.  I'm not up on the latest Korean hankie-biting trends.  :D

Speaking of trends and oddities in the stills so far, Gun Woo's jacket is a mix of anarchy symbols and peace symbols.  Is that supposed to mean something?  He's willing to play nice as long as daddy accepts him, and if not, anarchy ensues?

And to demonstrate, BIGGER photos haha (why was MBC so much later in releasing the big versions??):

ol91nDa.jpg
pM0Q6R2.jpg
source

Gosh, it's just a wall of me in here tonight. :)  Sorry!

Here's another article:

Kang Ji Hwan and Sung Yuri Make Transformations in New “Monster” Stills

leejojoba March 1, 2016

kang-ji-hwan-feature.jpg

Actor Kang Ji Hwan who will take on the lead role for the upcoming drama “Monster” attempts a breakthrough transformation as an actor.

MBC’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Monster” team released Kang Ji Hwan’s shocking stills of him portraying the role of Kang Ki Tan. This marks his comeback to television since his last drama in 2014.

kang-ji-hwan.jpg

In the photos released, Kang Ji Hwan is seen looking both hideous dressed in rags and clean-cut dressed in a handsome suit. The polar opposite looks of him dressed in a nice suit versus sitting on the street in rags playing a harmonica show a stark contrast.

Kang Ji Hwan’s character Kang Ki Tan lost his parents in his childhood. He loses everything to his uncle Byun Il Jae (Jung Bo Suk) and barely survives. He transforms into a new person Kang Ki Tan to avenge his family.

He possesses excellent hearing and intuition. With many years of strenuous physical training, he is superbly fit.

Taping Kang Ji Hwan’s contrasting characters took two days. He first finished recording in a set for the clean cut version of himself. To portray the contrasting character, he showed assertiveness in presenting his ideas and became a homeless person. It is said that he also came prepared to play the harmonica himself showing fervent passion for the role.

The crew member commented, “Kang Ji Hwan is a hardworking actor trying to make every scene perfect. He always comes to the set prepared and is able to jump into character quickly creating wonderful scenes. Please watch our drama ‘Monster’ with high expectations because it will really show off the true value of Kang Ji Hwan as an actor.”

sung-yuri.jpg

Actress Sung Yuri also stars in the drama portraying the character Oh Soo Yeon.

Sung Yuri portrays Oh Soo Yeon whose focus is solely on money ever since her father passed away. To take care of her autistic younger brother, she works at the law firm by day and studies at night. She does everything to succeed. She eventually ends up catching the attention of both Kang Ki Tan (Kang Ji Hwan) and Do Gun Woo (Park Ki Woong).

In the photos released, Sung Yuri is seen dressed in a comfortable casual outfit wearing eyeglasses. She looks like someone who is studying hard for an entrance exam.

“Monster” is about a man who has lived with a burning desire to avenge his family. It tells a story of a man whose life and family were taken from him by a massive and powerful corporation. Even still, he manages to find love in the midst of the hidden, dirty traps of the privileged class.

The first episode of “Monster” will air on March 28 at 10 p.m. KST.

credit: soompi (sources: 1 2)

Edit:
Also, wait.  This one makes it sound like his uncle is the one who almost kills him (literally or figuratively)...I thought the other one said his uncle saved him or did I misunderstand?

32 minutes ago, ecs707a said:

Also, wait.  This one makes it sound like his uncle is the one who almost kills him (literally or figuratively)...I thought the other one said his uncle saved him or did I misunderstand?

his uncle caused the death of his parents and he barely survives death himself. sorry for not presenting the sentence clearly earlier.

Lee ki kwang at the Monster set

3 hours ago, VNFAN said:

Anw, March 03 is Yuri's birthday, wonder if there is a special event for her at the film set 

@VNFAN, if she has shooting schedule for today, they should at least give her a birthday cake while singing the birthday song in Korean.  :D

@angelangie, hello, hello! we meet again! :blush:

Monster’s rags-to-riches transformation and rebellious chaebol

by javabeans | March 2, 2016

monster_3.jpg

Here we have a handful of new stills for Monster, MBC’s upcoming revenge melodrama starring Kang Ji-hwan in what seems to be his favorite type of transformation, from disheveled beggar to sleek urbane city man. Why are those always his two options? I do admit that he sure can make a makeover satisfying, probably because he goes after the scraggly “before” version with so much gusto (see: Runway Cop, Big Man).

In the drama, Kang Ji-hwan plays a character who loses both parents in childhood, then has everything stolen away by his uncle (Jung Bo-seok, playing another baddie). His own life is imperiled, but he survives the close call and then is “reborn” later with a new name. The descriptions are a little cagey about the reasons for all this, but we do know he’ll be going up against the rich and powerful, trying to take them down.

Sung Yuri, meanwhile, is pictured here as a young woman aspiring to score a job with a large corporation. She plays a woman burdened with caring for her autistic younger brother following their father’s death, which makes her money-oriented and shamelessly materialistic. She works days in a lawyer’s office, and studies at night with hopes of scoring a job at Dodo Group, the company owned by our drama’s resident chaebols. (It’s perhaps an unfortunate name when translated to English, but dodo doesn’t have the same dummy association in Korean; it can mean proud, and Do is also the surname of the chaebol family.)

And last but not least (definitely not least), we have Park Ki-woong making his post-army comeback as an illegitimate son of the chaebol family; he was abandoned and cast out, but works to reclaim his place in the family and earn his father’s acceptance. He’s described as having a monstrous side (the title sounds like it’s in reference to him), and in these stills is seen in a rebellious mood, sporting blond hair and a haughty air. Ah, it’s good to have you back, Park Ki-woong.

Monster will air as a Monday-Tuesday drama, premiering on March 28 after Dazzling Temptation ends.

monster_1.jpg

monster_2.jpg

monster_4.jpg

monster_5.jpg

monster_6.jpg

monster_7.jpg

monster_8.jpg

Via TV Report, Joins, Donga

credit: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/monsters-rags-to-riches-transformation-and-rebellious-chaebol/

2 hours ago, pechumori said:

@angelangie it will start on March 28 at 10 pm. i will try and watch live, if the connection is good. most of the time, it buffers and i end up missing a lot of scenes

I will join with you on live streaming chinggus...Beside Jang Young Sil, this drama will be my priority... :heart::heart:

OOHH.....the mystery has been revealed. :D Nice Blondie colour. He looks good with that colour.

About the super hearing, maybe because he was blind & that is his gift & i think We won't get blind Ji Hwan's scene?

Got operation still on Gi kwang's era.

n about biting handkerchief....I think there will be a story behind that.

Her character is a woman burdened with caring for her autistic younger brother following their father’s death...

So, maybe she's try hard to be a strong woman but sometimes she couldn't do it but she doesn't want anyone see her vulnerable side.

n that's the way she try to hide it. ...n I think on that picture, she has a test.

Doing a test with a high hope to can pass it.

EDIT :

oohhh....Soo Hyun's character might be has the same test.

12 hours ago, pechumori said:

@VNFAN, if she has shooting schedule for today, they should at least give her a birthday cake while singing the birthday song in Korean.  :D

I really hope so. They did during Hong Gil Dong filming once

20080312095236a0023.jpg

And on Kang Ji Hwan's birthday which is in the same month, so sweet

hgd_kjh9.jpg

I made the countdown clock for 'Monster', really cant wait

https://w2.countingdownto.com/1302747

Archived