If you had the chance to become a K-pop idol...

Guest TeamSOOMPI

Guest TeamSOOMPI

TSIF: Thank Soompi It's Friday!

All around the Internets, Friday is known as the day when people are free to discuss topics that would normally be considered, well, off-topic. It's the start of the weekend, after all! So kick back with a drink, settle yourself for a relaxing night at the keyboard, and tell the world about your personal K-pop experiences and feelings.

This week, we're here to ask:

forum-friday.png.e34431e334800096ea9aa37

We all know that K-pop is a very competitive and stressful business, but for many, the opportunities far outweigh the drawbacks. How about you? If you had the chance to become a K-pop idol, would you go for it (or maybe you're already trying)? If so, which entertainment agency would you join? What kind of group do you envision it being – lots of members, just a few, hip-hop or dance or pop? What kind of style?

Honestly speaking, I am 20 already and I know that most companies prefer trainees who are 12-18 for debuts and such. But if they are lenient about it, then I will give it a shot and see if I can make it in.

I am very open-minded, so I am up for any company that would accept me and can offer me the best opportunities to grow and discover myself in order to not only become an idol, but to be someone that can inspire others as well through music. I am a classically trained violinist, and I don't have any prior dancing experiences or vocal lessons. But if the opportunities are open, then I will give it 120% of myself and train to improve my skills and possibly discover something I have never thought that I would do. (Like standing in the spotlights. No matter how many solos I did for competitions, I still hate the sporlight with a passion)

As for group wise, I am honestly okay with groups as long as they are not too crowded with members. I kinda want to see a Kpop girl group who write their songs, compose music and lyrics, as well as do all of the instrument parts along with the music (not just the piano alone) Maybe additional of members who can play strings instruments, wind instruments, or even traditional Asian instruments (I recommend the erhu). I have yet to see traditional Asian instrument as a part of a Kpop song before and I truly wants to try to see it (As I was influenced by the Wagakki Band from Japan, a Jrock of mixed traditional Japanese instruments and modern instruments)

I'm an ELF but I won't choose SM. I'm 20 years but if I allowed by to imagine or just choosing which one the entertainment, I would choose BigHit or Cube Entertainment. They treat their trainer very well and working hard is the key. And I'm thinking if I enter SME maybe I cant work very well bcs I cant get my eyes take off of SJ. Lots of member is my choice, and about the genre it doesnt matter for me.

I would debut Solo. I've had experiences singing in groups but prefer singing solo because the music style is... how should I describe it... less musical? As in your voice becomes the "feature". As a singer I prefer to sing ballads over hip hop songs although most would say hip hop is more my style.

If I had to choose a company, I would JYP because they're more open to less typical Hallyu-Kpop styles. Or Shinhwa Company because those guys are Legends! SHINHWA CHANGJO!!

If I could. If I was talented. If I could sing and dance. If I can excel in Korean. And if I look great......Why not? I would love to be one. I would work hard and get a shot at my debut in to the limelight. 30 or so years ago, Asia was all J-Pop. However, because it didn't have the internet to help promote worldwide, it never even made it to the US. Now, Korea with the help of the internet and all the SNS, they RULE it. 

If I could choose which entertainment company I can be with......There's only 3.

1 - Wooliment: Excellent care giver. Don't abuse their artist.

2 - Jellyfish Entertainment: They care for their artist and it shows.

3 - JYPE: CEO is down to Earth. Understands his artist.

4 - SM: It has the BIGGEST international market and you CAN get worldwide recognition if you're with them.

If I will have a chance to be a Kpop celebrity, I will choose SMEnt because at the first place I really like SM. Others may think that SM's way of handling their artists are so rude and selfish but for me, SM is just doing this to protect and to save the artists and also the company for the future.

if I knew how to sing and dance, I would probably join one of those singing survival shows (Superstar K and what not they're named). Seems like the best way to get fans before debut without having to join one of those big companies. I'd probably join a small company like Jellyfish or WM :) they seem to do well without being to famous. 

I think I'd like to go to CUBE. While they aren't a perfect agency, I like that their artists tend to have strong personalities (BTOB, 4Minute) and take time to create amazing music. If you're into producing, you're given the freedom to create songs that wind up on albums. I also like that artists get solo/unit debuts. Also their artists seem to have fun extracurricular activities - like the CUBE soccer team! They aren't just locked in practice rooms and broadcast stations. I'd want to be in a group for sure - since CUBE isn't the best with solo artists (looking at poor you Roh Jihoon).

Unfortunately, Roh Jihoon kind of disappeared and who knows what happened with CLC.... But, I'm still holding out that CUBE will make a good comeback soon and continue to treat their artists well. Also - I like that they have a cafe in their building. Plenty of caffeine during long working hours.

9 hours ago, sicaspazzers said:

Can I just make my own Entertainment Company? HAHAHA

@sicaspazzers I'm pretty sure that's the dream! You can learn from all the terrible decisions other companies make :P 

YG for the cafeteria...  :)

I would want to be in one of the big companies for a better chance of success, and YG overall seems to fit my personality more. I would also want to be more hands on with music production, and I think there could be a lot to learn over there.     

YG all the way, since their success rate with artists is ridiculously high. If you want to spend the next 10 years tied to a contract, might as well pick one you're pretty much guaranteed to be successful in. Plus, YG seems to value foreign collaborations and solo efforts, so more expansion opportunities there. 

Basically $$$

Honestly, I wouldn't know which one that I'll choose. I'm more familiar with SM due to all of my favorites are or started their career from there. I mostly prefer ballad and pop, so which ever one that would best fit my interest and needs then I'd go with that one.

1 hour ago, benightedxflame said:

YG all the way, since their success rate with artists is ridiculously high. If you want to spend the next 10 years tied to a contract, might as well pick one you're pretty much guaranteed to be successful in. Plus, YG seems to value foreign collaborations and solo efforts, so more expansion opportunities there. 

Basically $$$

@benightedxflame WHAT but what if they make you do a competition show and then you lose so they make you do another competition show and add more members but potentially take away members!? 

I would love to be a kpop star. I would love to do a duet with Kyuhyun. And I would love to be part of Super Junior. Bcuz what girl wouldn't want to be surrounded by a bunch of handsome men. But I do have a strike against me tho. I'm not Korean

If JYPE would have a 36 year old idol, I'd be game :) I guess my group would have to be all georgous young girls and guys to at least get me some audience (due to lack of singing skills, age, looks, unable to sing/speak Korean and a bunch of other reasons).

I'd go for pop/dance since there's hardly any skill required as soon as they turn the autotune on and flash the lights really bright so my lack of dancing skills wouldn't be noticed.

Yeah. I'd be a big hit. Why hasn't any company contacted me yet?

So, just like many others I wanna become a kpop idol as well. I know the training is really tiring and stuff, but I'd like to try. I'd first try for S.M, then Jyp and BigHit. Just to mention, on't do it to meet idols. But to audition I have to go to Korea... Something quite impossible althought I'm asian, but I live in Europe :blink:

Archived