[Drama 2016] My lawyer, Mr. Jo / Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho 동네변호사 조들호

kaiskloset

Finished EP.18 with sub, didn't watch live last night.

Thanks Ae Ra and Dae Soo for being there, both of you save me a lot, lol.

Love drunk Lee Eun Jo, so crazy and cute, haha. No comment about loveline with Ji Wook.

If the writer lets Eun Jo leave gang team, it will be so sad...

Well sorry guys~ , I don't have much mood to talk about this episode~ -_-" 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho" Episode 18

Spoiler

photo727318.jpg

Deul-ho and Ji-wook are pulled towards their respective loved ones and away from justice. Eun-jo voices her worries over this and reminds Deul-ho and us what this series has been about. With only two episodes left, it is time for the fight against Yeong-il to get dirty and the dirt sadly touches our heroes as well. This is the first time "Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho" has missed some marks on its hero, but I hope the end brings justice back.

Automatic forgiveness of past transgressions because of family bonds is a pet peeve of mine in Korean drama. I have seen horrible characters being given a free pass at redemption without having worked for it or seen them suddenly grow a conscience to justify it. Wanting to support loved ones is a noble cause and a human, and therefore understandable desire. It is the execution which often fails the idea. I think this drama does a lot of things about it right.

Spoiler

Hae-kyeong and Deul-ho

Spoiler

Eun-jo

What gives Deul-ho's (Park Shin-yang) decision to help Sin-woo (Kang Shin-il) logic within the series is that it is at least addressed by the writing. Sin-woo was horrible to his family and Deul-ho, but it is Deul-ho's choice as a person to forgive and help him. I appreciate the fact that Eun-jo (Kang So-ra) reminds Deul-ho about how this goes against what he has been fighting for. It is a moment of weakness for him and he does betray his principles.

However, the series still paints his choice as heroic and does not pause enough on the fact that it is not, by its own previous standards. In fact, it goes to great lengths to present it as the same heroism he has been practicing when helping those unfairly charged. When you drive your hero down a different path, you need adequate development for it. I feel the series is adapting its approach to its need for a hero, essentially sugar-coating his choice.

Spoiler

Ji-wook and Sin-woo

Spoiler

Deul-ho and Sin-woo

Deu-ho keeps preaching to Ji-wook (Ryoo Soo-yeong) about obeying his father, but he turns a blind eye for his own. One is presented as regrettable, the other as admirable and it comes complete with the pity-treatment. I feel disrespected as a viewer when the creators show me Chairman Jeong (Jeong Won-joong) and Sin-woo as poor sick old men. Using sympathy to avoid justice is the very thing they criticized through Chairman Jeong's summon-evading tricks.

The sad thing is, the drama does not need this. Most viewers probably love Deul-ho enough to forgive him and understand his motivation. I hope the series can come back to the point it has been making. We all love our own, be it money, power or family, but shielding the privileged does not make this world better. I hope Ji-wook and Deul-ho can let their loved ones pay for their sins and rebuild a better life.

"Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho" is directed by Lee Jung-seob, written by Lee Hyang-hee and features Park Shin-yang, Kang So-ra, Ryoo Soo-yeong and Park Sol-mi.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-neighborhood-lawyer-jo-deul-ho-episode-18-94864.html

interesting POV...Thanks ORION!

I've just finished watching latest ep with sub. This point troubles me since last night. The fact that Lawyer Jo decides to defend JSW is so frustrating. (even in the end, Mr.Jang refused him tho)

What is the different between him and the villains? SJW also covered SJI and did everything he ordered because he is his father, his family. Chairman Jung did the same thing to cover his son's crimes even he wants to cut that stupid son from his family so bad, but still he is his family. This reason is dull,indeed, like lawyer Joe said himself. I understand that he is not 100% good since he did this before with Il-Goo'case but thats different. Il-Goo was not guilty. I feel the same way as Lawyer Lee and very disappointed in my hero now. //heol

13245207_1711300659119860_48194938265962

So, I heard about Beautiful mind will run as their schedule, ep 1 will broadcast on June 20. 

That means our drama will end next week?!

Please confirm it faster KBS.

Oh, by the way, it means Shin Yang still refuses the extension even just only 1 ep, aigoo, my god Shin Yang is jjang!!!

@grumpykatiie you got me with last sentence:  ." I feel the same way as Lawyer Lee and very disappointed in my hero now".

Spoiler

Me too, not really love this point, I know nobody in this world is prefect but it makes me think Jo Deul HO is just falled in love too much, exactly Eun Jo says about him "it is not like you", gosh.

30 minutes ago, parkxiaowu said:

So, I heard about Beautiful mind will run as their schedule, ep 1 will broadcast on June 20. 

That means our drama will end next week?!

Please confirm it faster KBS.

Oh, by the way, it means Shin Yang still refuses the extension even just only 1 ep, aigoo, my god Shin Yang is jjang!!!

@grumpykatiie you got me with last sentence:  ." I feel the same way as Lawyer Lee and very disappointed in my hero now".

Hide contents

Me too, not really love this point, I know nobody in this world is prefect but it makes me think Jo Deul HO is just fall in love too much, exactly Eun Jo says about him "it is not like you", gosh.

Indeed!same here.. 

I think we all feel the same as Lee Eun Jo,  tho LEJ had the least screentime  out of everyone else, but she was the most impactful in last night episode. 

I'm glad atleast of all the other characters, atleast there's one who is still consistent from the beginning till now. It makes us feel somewhat less painful.. 

I think the longer they drag it, the more they'll make lawyer Jo stray from his true motto..let's not go there,please end it as plan!!!

@parkxiaowu talking about drunk eun jo, I miss those days when the motley team would drink and ask her to SING and the stunned face of lawyer Jo! :lol::lol:

Regarding the extension, it will be great if the legend shin yang put his feet down! So beat it kbs!

I just want the drama to wrap up nicely and the cast with the production crew having an awesome wrap up party! banana emoticon

I saw KBS announced the premiere date of Beautiful Mind officially through KBS IG that it would be on June 20th.

So I can only assume that there will not be extension anymore. happy and sad at the same time. :expressionless:

@pandalover1 I don't understand why the writer made Jo Deul Ho does this. I mean Jo Deul Ho also can help HaeYoug's Dad by defending in the courtroom, helps him reduce offense, not by helping him get escape his crime.

It's lucky that HY's Dad admists what he did , but he is not? Jo Deul Ho still wanna help him? It gives me think about the writer want to make Hae Young's Dad back to good.. What for?

About Lee Eun Jo, i wonder is that the writer want to make a love line with Shin by giving her and Jo have argument? That's why push Jo Deul Ho wanted help HY's Dad?

I just can't catch the purpose of the writer here... Sad!!!

@icemaid Yes, i love these cutie small party haha.

hope the wrap up party will be on June 1, all cast will join, :D

First time comment on this thread... I've just finished Ep.18 live last night and today again with subs.  Jo Deul Ho is so cool and awesome, so is this drama.

It's a shame SJW is still very much siding his dad, going against his will of fighting corruption, I just hope he'll recognize and come to his senses soon.  Among Chairman Jung, SYI and JSW, in my opinion JSW is the least evil and guilty one.  Love SooBin, she's so cute and pretty and the Motley team too.  Overall I'm loving this drama!

4 hours ago, parkxiaowu said:

@pandalover1 I don't understand why the writer made Jo Deul Ho does this. I mean Jo Deul Ho also can help HaeYoug's Dad by defending in the courtroom, helps him reduce offense, not by helping him get escape his crime.

It's lucky that HY's Dad admists what he did , but he is not? Jo Deul Ho still wanna help him? It gives me think about the writer want to make Hae Young's Dad back to good.. What for?

About Lee Eun Jo, i wonder is that the writer want to make a love line with Shin by giving her and Jo have argument? That's why push Jo Deul Ho wanted help HY's Dad?

I just can't catch the purpose of the writer here... Sad!!!

@icemaid Yes, i love these cutie small party haha.

hope the wrap up party will be on June 1, all cast will join, :D

@parkxiaowu here's the part that I need further clarification. Did Lawyer Jo said he'll help HK dad to escape his crime or he just said that he'll defend him? It's actually two really different things, but then again as a lawyer you'll always want to try your out most best for your clients. 

I think from a family pov, I can understand why he wants to defend HK dad, because well he's family(though he treated lawyer Jo horribly in the past), I guess lawyer Jo has a soft spot for his fil. Then again he cares for HK, by helping her father is someone helping HK?

But of course it's not fair for the fil to get away with it, though he is also one of the victims of the Chief prosecutor. Maybe lawyer jo just wants to be there for his fil regardless of what punishment he will get. If it's gonna be from that standpoint I still can accept lawyer jo's actions. If lawyer Jo is just making sure that his fil doesn't take all the blame(which includes the chief prosecutor devious doings), and also drag the chief prosecutor down then it's still acceptable.. 

As for sjw and eunjo, as I said I've actually seen this coming since the very beginning of the series. Actually it's not because of eunjo argument with lawyer jo, that gave more room for sjw and eunjo to grow closer. If you noticed in the past, though eunjo and sjw do not have much screentime or screen time together. Their meetings are always meaningful conversations, of course not love but in the form of friendship. 

The first time they spoke was outside the court, when it was eunjo case against lawyer jo. Eunjo could easily speak her mind to sjw, and he just quietly listens (of course he said a few things back but the main point is he listened to her). That was actually eunjo's turning point in life, it was one of her decision to leave geumsan and learn what working for real justice is like. 

Of course they met few times before this but realized their second meaningful time was(though it was so obvious subway product placement) eunjo working at subway while learning from lawyer jo. Sjw was actually the only person who knew eunjo was working two jobs, though it was conicidental that he came across it but it was always easy for eunjo to open up to sjw, about the difficulties in life. 

And third most significant was last night episode. It was eunjo who went to sjw though she was drunk. But she already got used to opening up with sjw. Notice how he just listens to her.( here's the catch this time, it's another turning point of her life) she tells sjw that she can't accept that her mentor is straying away from his core beliefs, and no longer wants to work with him. The thing about sjw is, he's such a hot headed person who has zilch patience for anyone, but why does he quietly listens to eunjo without judging her and not just this occasion but also in the past?(here I don't know why, I'll just leave it as it is)

Lol, the way I see it whenever LEJ and SJW meet to talk, I'll always picture it as the scene where the both least appreciated characters speak their minds and help each other out emotionally. Hahahaha! I personally think that sjw is the only person that actually listens to eunjo(i personally think lawyer Jo doesn't really listen to eunjo,he's always telling her to do whatever she wants and previously asking her to leave, sometimes I do feel that he's brushing her off..not all the time sometimes.. lol), so in that sense that's her benefit in this friendship. As for sjw, eunjo always keeps him at bay, that as people who know the law, we should be more compassionate,be good to people. It will be beneficial if she continues to instill and reinforcing that he's actually a good person,(lawyer Jo is doing that to him too) but then again all these does not necessarily mean eunjo and sjw will fall in love, maybe it might just strengthen their friendship. 

I know people are not keen pairing them up because well sjw is a lost child who doesn't know what to do and only believes what he wants to believe that is to deny all.his father's wrong doings. In the last episode he pretty much have a huge headache because everyone is telling him that his father is not what it seems.. I believe he will soon accept the fact and arrest his own father.

As for eunjo having argument with lawyer jo has nothing to do with sjw. It was bound to happen, as partners disagreements will bound to happen. In this case, they don't see eye to eye. Eunjo can't understand why lawyer jo made such decisions(well even we don't understand why), but I think using this event is a good way to see that everyone is not perfect, though lawyer jo is superman, he's human too who sometimes will stray away from his belief due to circumstances. 

This event only helps to strenghthen and exhibit how strong eunjo's core beliefs are. I'm sorry that some might not agree with me, but I personally think it's best for eunjo to part ways with lawyer jo. She has learn a lot from him and every disciple has to always part ways with their master in order to grow and make a name for themself. I realized eunjo is now stagnant , and in order for her to cross over that level she has to leave and fend for herself. Thats the only way she will grow as a person and to grow to be a good lawyer. My guesses, as I said before.  She will apply to be a public defender which will definitely suit her sense of justice, plus it's a government job she'll have normal wage pay so she'll be able to be finiancially sufficient while helping others who are in need.

Hi silent reader here! I cant hold myself any longer to express my love for this drama, since my friends who loves k drama doesnt even want to watch this bcs they think this drama is boring (no eye candy boy, they say) which is... totally wrong. I love this drama bcs it is sooo heartwarming. you know, that kind of drama who touch your heart :)

well here I want to express my opinion. Maybe I am a minority here about the love line. I am very supporting JHK-JDH couple. partially bcs the cute Soo Bin, the rest is bcs I think (in my POV) JHK-JDH never really ended their relationship. I mean, yes they are divorced, but they still care for each other since the beginning episode. they still have those lingering feeling. so from the very start, I dont get the vibe of LEJ-JDH love line (pls noted, I am not against them bcs the age gap.)

next. I think JDH defends his ex FIL, doesnt mean he will make him escape from punishment. I think, he defends ex FIL is also a justice. he knows very well about people who involved in this matter, hence he needs to take a role in this so ex FIL doesn't take the fall alone, since the mastermind here is SYI. If he doesnt defends ex FIL, SYI could get away with his crime easily, since JDH is the one who can bring him down and JDH will not let people get more punishment than what they deserved. but.. it just my opinion. and my hope. lol.

the last one I want to say is.. How I wish Kang So Ra character is better than this. I am Kang So Ra fans for sure. She's so gorgeous, talented. I follow every drama she's in. i even watched this for So Ra eonnie. but seriously, her role in this drama is not as charming as before. and i believe its not her mistake, its the character development :(her role is so insignificant here. to the point I think she was just a supporting role. to the point I only care about JDH now. yes she provide JDH with useful info etc, but she can do more than that :(

well. thats what I want to say! cheers

@pandalover1 The point is here, I wonder what kind of help that Jo Deul Ho mentions. I didn't say he will help HY's Dad escape, it just bring me this feeling, due to Eun Jo is mad about this. That why I wonder what if HY's dad doesn't admit it?

I understand the point thinking about family, I just think it is necessary to make HY's Dad to be good again, I mean in the previous eps HY has already convinced him to give up but he still did it, is that really necessary  to do this?. I feel like the writer want to turn all to be good, to make a happy family. Of course in family side, forgiving etc... will be good, but I just love the other side more... Maybe I'm too realistic here

Can say is the image of Jo Deul Ho in over first 10 eps is don't scared of anything, stands for the poor side, put their priority comes first.. but these eps just feel like (well, only me maybe) he is "turning around" HY too much.. I didn't say it's bad, I just don't really like it and I prefer the first impression of Jo more.

About SJW, I don't have anything to say about him, sometime good, sometime bad, of course there is a reason for this (his dad), just don't really like it... well, I don't like it , doesn't mean I hate it, haha.

I'm just not really satisfied with ep18. For me the last part of EP.17 is better.. EP..18 is just too much sweet love scenes, make the story is slower..

well, What is done is done.. Hope the ending will get the good result :D 

First behind the scene pic of Shin Yang in Ep.01...

aaww, it has been 2 months ago. Wow~ so miss that day ^^

By the way, it seems this guy is the one to be in charge of teach our cast dancing in the first teaser, lol.

It means the karaoke scene of Shin Yang was taught by him too?! haha

21 hours ago, irilight said:

So sad about that. I hope they will redeem him.

Thank you for screencaps @noi3ody, @pandalover1, @grumpykatiie,

@noi3ody, Get well soon.  In answer to your question - you can re-size your picture.

Double click on your photo, and a screen will appear, in which you can insert your desired size.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uaz1bNzZ4LCrHQwam-0mHLMdw_0-pPVjbOdFWDCYBPE/edit?pli=1#

13239454_10208131325215334_1947262503695

source: http://news.topstarnews.net/detail.php?number=197306

@irilight thank you for the guide provided, I managed to resize 

38 minutes ago, parkxiaowu said:

First behind the scene pic of Shin Yang in Ep.01...

aaww, it has been 2 months ago. Wow~ so miss that day ^^

By the way, it seems this guy is the one to be in charge of teach our cast dancing in the first teaser, lol.

It means the karaoke scene of Shin Yang was taught by him too?! haha

Wowwwwwww this is so unexpected! I mean when is the last time we gotta see Shin Yang-nim selfie photo? This guy is so lucky!! 

BTW, I dislike photo app he used in here. Is it too much? lol 

We need more of his bts photos tho (the unofficial ones..) T___T

It looks like he is always busy filming and nobody have opportunity to chitchat or ask for photo like this lucky choreographer.

P.S. wahhh he is quite famous ! I look up in his IG and see that he works with so many artists I like :wub:

@grumpykatiie The last time was movie The Gangster Shaman?! I do not remember about SIGN, seems not.. haha

I don't think he use any special photo app, maybe our Shin Yang is not good at this, haha, too close with the camera, lol.

The script is out so late then the cast gotta focus on filming, haha.

Yes, I love these selfie photos, hope we will have more at the wrap up party.. Please asking him for more, he is not scared as he looks like, haha

2 minutes ago, parkxiaowu said:

@grumpykatiie The last time was movie The Gangster Shaman?! I do not remember about SIGN, seems not.. haha

I don't think he use any special photo app, maybe our Shin Yang is not good at this, haha, too close with the camera, lol.

The script is out so late then the cast gotta focus on filming, haha.

Yes, I love these selfie photos, hope we will have more at the wrap up party.. Please asking him for more, he is not scared as he looks like, haha

Trust me he did ! hehehe Maybe it was Photowonder or camera360 :P

Not sure about this statement of yours lol "he is not scared as he looks like, haha" because if it were me, I would definitely be trembling so hard lol Just imagine his strong charismatic aura oozing around his profile... it makes me shaking lol.

1 hour ago, parkxiaowu said:

@pandalover1 The point is here, I wonder what kind of help that Jo Deul Ho mentions. I didn't say he will help HY's Dad escape, it just bring me this feeling, due to Eun Jo is mad about this. That why I wonder what if HY's dad doesn't admit it?

I understand the point thinking about family, I just think it is necessary to make HY's Dad to be good again, I mean in the previous eps HY has already convinced him to give up but he still did it, is that really necessary  to do this?. I feel like the writer want to turn all to be good, to make a happy family. Of course in family side, forgiving etc... will be good, but I just love the other side more... Maybe I'm too realistic here

Can say is the image of Jo Deul Ho in over first 10 eps is don't scared of anything, stands for the poor side, put their priority comes first.. but these eps just feel like (well, only me maybe) he is "turning around" HY too much.. I didn't say it's bad, I just don't really like it and I prefer the first impression of Jo more.

About SJW, I don't have anything to say about him, sometime good, sometime bad, of course there is a reason for this (his dad), just don't really like it... well, I don't like it , doesn't mean I hate it, haha.

I'm just not really satisfied with ep18. For me the last part of EP.17 is better.. EP..18 is just too much sweet love scenes, make the story is slower..

well, What is done is done.. Hope the ending will get the good result :D 

@parkxiaowu

So I guess I wasn't the only one who thinks lawyer jo's world now revolves around HK. Yes I agree, I do miss the lawyer jo that I enjoyed in the beginning of the drama. Somewhere in the middle, he began to develop an obsession for chairman jung, but now it kinda is all about HK. I guess when they start focusing on love, lawyer Jo changes. I guess maybe he's being there for HK, making amends for what he didn't do in the past, when he wasn't always there for her. Which sort of changes his belief system.. in other words, he's not the same lawyer Jo anymore..I guess eunjo is representing us..hahaha.. 

Speaking about eunjo, sora doesn't seem to be filming today, she's busy filming her cfs.... .. *lmaooo I really wonder how much screen time she'll have next week*

17 minutes ago, grumpykatiie said:

Trust me he did ! hehehe Maybe it was Photowonder or camera360 :P

Not sure about this statement of yours lol "he is not scared as he looks like, haha" because if it were me, I would definitely be trembling so hard lol Just imagine his strong charismatic aura oozing around his profile... it makes me shaking lol.

I have to say he is better than before, just take a look of old selfie pic, he only stands their without making any pose, haha. This time know "how to use his hand", good. haha.

You make me scared too.. I hope next month when their have any chance to meet him, i will brave enough to ask a selfie, lol.

-------

@pandalover1 That's why I don't want to watch so much sweet scene, well, the writer is the boss here, can't ask too much.

Ya, I saw her ins. Is there posibility the script hasn't done?! 

Guest chocmagma

Hello everyone! :blush:

Today is not even our day I dont know why we're so hot today :w00t:

MLMJ%2076_zpsobrxrslm.png

@grumpykatiie Kim Feel's Walk To The Sky is sooooo daebak! His voice, oh god really soothing!

@pandalover1 the writer shd focus more on the development of each cases and now they're going to bring down those baddies, and where's MJ? Is he MIA again? With only few eps left, is the writer trying to just end it clumsily?

And yes, I miss LEJ's presence just like during earlier eps. Now it's hard to see her. She's like a cameo who came out few seconds (or mins) then she went missing. The heck? She's the female lead for god's sake, writer-sshi! head-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

And thinking that LEJ gonna part ways with JDH, aigoo this fragile heart cannot take it anymore. But if it's for her own good, I guess leaving JDH is the best.

@irilight Just like some of us here, I alr give up on the loveline here. It's okay if MLMJ keeps on going without loveline so long the cases are interesting. I'm not blaming his marital status, I know he's doing it for SB's sake, but I can see that the writer really pushes it hard T___T

@icemaid thank you, dear *hugsss* I love AR and DS couple also! They're so jjang I giggle everytime I watched them lol.

@parkxiaowu 1 ep only? So when can we get the confirmation? Wow KBS really wanna push the load on MLMJ.

Archived