BATTLESHIP ISLAND (군함도)

Title: Battleship Island
Romanization: --
Genre: Action | Historical
Director: Ryu Seung Wan
Release Date: 2017
Language: Korean

SYNOPSIS

"Battleship Island" is the story of 400 or so Joseon people who risk their lives to escape Battleship Island, where they were forcefully taken to during the Japanese Invasion.

CAST

Hwang Jung Min

So Ji Sub

Song Joong Ki

NEWS & INFORMATION

Hwang Jeong Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki to Star in "Battleship"

Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki to Star in Upcoming Historical Film

Main Roles Cast for "Gunhamdo" Film

"Gunhamdo," Director Ryoo's Next Film, to Begin Shooting Next Summer

Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki to Headline New Flick

Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki in Ryoo Seung Wan's New Film

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest xoxoprincessxoxo1000

Thanks for creating this thread!
I'm so excited for the new movie! The cast line up is awesome~~ 

Hwang Jung Min is an amazing actor and his movies always do good. If not he has more hits than flops. :D I remember watching his movie 'Man In Love' on the airplane when I was on my trip to Philippines. He did such a good job in his role, and the end made me cry. I also watched his movie; 'You are My Sunshine' with his co-star Jun Do Yeon. He was such a helpless puppy in that movie. 

Song Joong Ki is like a cute baby! Even though he is 15 years older than me he manages to look younger than me haha. I can't believe he's 30!!! I thought he was only like 18. I really enjoyed his drama 'The Innocent Man' with Moon Chae Won! I might go to the Chaekki thread because I ship them that much. I also enjoyed his movie 'The Werewolf Boy', the ending made me cry like a baby. His acting in Deep Rooted Tree as a king was so fantastic. He really fits saeguks. 

Last but not least....SO JI SUB!! 

So Ji Sub is my ultimate, most favorite actor in the world!! I'm looking forward to this movie because of him. 

I was sort of hoping for a drama, but dramas are energy draining and Ji-Sub just finished Oh My Venus. I LOVE Korean Movies but I hate the fact that they get subbed SO LATE for international fans. Heol...we have to wait 'till 2017 until this gets released. I guess I have something to look forward to. 

January 14, 2016

Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki to Star in Upcoming Historical Film

Source: Soompi by JiwonYu

Actors Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki are confirmed to star in a new historical film “Battleship (tentative title).”

The production company of the film stated on January 15, “‘Battleship’ is based on the Japanese colonial era where 400 Joseon people try to escape a battleship to which they were forced to board. This film is directed by director Ryu Seung Wan, who also directed “Veteran.”

Hwang Jung Min will play the role of Lee Kang Ok, who was scammed into boarding the battleship thinking that he is going to Japan. So Ji Sub will play the role of Choi Chil Sung, who brought peace to the whole Jongno area with his fighting skills. Song Joong Ki will play the role of Park Moo Young, who boards the battleship to rescue the people participating in the independence movement.

“Battleship” will start filming in the first half of 2016 and come the theaters in 2017.

Source (1)

Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub and Song Joong Ki to star in "Battleship"

Source: TV Daily via Hancinema.net

photo675114.jpg

Actors Hwang Jung-min, So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki are starring in the movie "Battleship Island".

"Battleship Island" is the story of 400 or so Joseon people who risk their lives to escape Battleship Island which is where they were forcefully taken to during the Japanese Invasion.

"Battleship Island" is directed by Ryoo Seung-wan who thought of the idea of using the hidden history of the Joseon people in this movie.

Actor Hwang Jung-min who holds a record of 35 million audiences with the movies "Ode to My Father" (14,261,582), "Veteran" (12,414,009) and "The Himalayas" (7,243,039) takes on the role of Lee Kang-ok who is tricked into being taken to Battleship Island. He believes he is being taken to Japan to protect his daughter but in the end he becomes the daring father who will do anything to survive and protect his child.

So Ji-sub who made a short appearance in the movie "The Throne" and recently starred in the drama "Oh My Venus", takes on the role of Choi Chil-seong, the best fighter in Kyeongseong. He causes trouble every now and then in Battleship Island because of his hot temper but he is sincere on the inside.

Song Joong-ki's first comeback movie is going to be "Battleship Island" as he takes on the role of Park Moo-yeong, a solider for national independence who sneaks into Battleship Island to save a key person in the independence movement. Song Joong-ki is prepared to show a whole new side of him that's different from the role he played in "A Werewolf Boy".

Hwang Jung-min is working with director Ryoo Seung-wan for the third time now. So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki are only just beginning. "Battleship Island" will feature the top actors of the Korean movie industry and is set to release in 2017.

January 16, 2016

Main roles cast for ‘Gunhamdo’ film

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

16005442.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung-min of last year’s hit film “The Himalayas,” So Ji-sub (pictured) of the drama series “Oh My Venus” (2015-16) and Song Joong-ki of “A Werewolf Boy” (2012) have finalized their appearances in the upcoming historical film “Gunhamdo,” according to the production company for the film. 

“Gunhamdo” is set in the Japanese colonial era (1910-45) and it depicts the story of about 400 Koreans who are forced into labor but later attempt to escape Gunhamdo, a remote island located in the Sea of Japan.

The film will be directed by Ryu Seung-wan, who took the helm of “Veteran” (2015), which attracted more than 10 million moviegoers after it was released in August last year. 

Hwang will play the role of a father who goes to any lengths for his daughter while So will take on the part of a gangster. Song will depict an independence fighter. 

The film is in the preparation stage and will be released sometime next year. 

By Sung So-young 

January 15, 2016

Hwang Jung-min, So Ji-sub, Song Joong-ki team up for prison break

by girlfriday | Dramabeans.com

기사의 0번째 이미지

Hit writer-director Ryu Seung-wan (Veteran, Berlin) is re-teaming with Hwang Jung-min (Himalaya, Veteran) for his next project, an occupation-era film about an attempted prison break from a forced labor camp on Hashima Island. With these two involved, it’s pretty much a guaranteed box office success. The movie, called Battleship Island, has also cast twice the pretty, just in case: So Ji-sub (Oh My Venus) and Song Joong-ki (Nice Guy) will co-star.

For complete article, please read more at DB

This article was published  on 2015-09-30 by The Korea Herald

'Gunhamdo,’ director Ryoo’s next film, to begin shooting next summer

Director Ryoo Seung-wan of hit-film “Veteran” said his next film on Hashima Island (“Battleship Island”) will begin shooting from next summer.

Hashima is an outlying island abandoned by Japan off the coast of Nagasaki, where countless Koreans were drafted into forced labor during World War II to work in dangerous conditions. 

20150930001373_0.jpg
Director Ryoo Seung-wan (left) with actor Hwang Jung-min (CJ Entertainment)

“This film will show the draftees escaping from the island,” Ryoo said.

Early reports have noted that “Veteran” lead actor Hwang Jung-min will once again collaborate with Ryoo for this flick.

To be titled “Gunhamdo” in Korean, the film will follow a group of American OSS agents and Korean independence fighters on a mission to evacuate a key Korean figure from the dangerous island.

Ryoo said that after “Gunhamdo” he will proceed to work on the sequels of “Berlin” and “Veteran.”

MBC’s variety program “Infinite Challenge” recently had its participants visit the island to meet with the surviving Koreans still living there, drawing attention to the harsh history and its victims.

By Lim Jeong-yeo(kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

January 17, 2016

Hwang Jung-min, Song Joong-ki and So Ji-sub to headline new flick

Actors Hwang Jung-min, Song Joong-ki and So Ji-sub have been confirmed to star in a periodic flick with the working title “Battleship,” the production company announced Friday. 

The film, helmed by star director Ryu Seung-wan of “Veteran,” centers on 400 Korean people who are forced to board a Japanese battleship during the time when Korea was a colony of Japan. 

이미지중앙

Hwang (“Ode to My Father,” “Veteran”) plays Lee Kang-ok, who was tricked into boarding the ship, believing that he would be going to Japan so he could protect his daughter. So (“Oh My Venus,” “Master’s Sun”) takes on the role of Choi Chil-sung, known for his fierce fighting skills. Song, who is returning to the small screen with much-anticipated TV drama “Descendants of the Sun” in February, plays Park Moo-young, an independence fighter. 

“Battleship” will be filmed this year and is slated to premiere next year. 

By Ahn Sung-mi (sahn@heraldcorp.com) 

Thanks for the constant updates, @rubie!

With Battleship Island's release aimed at 2017, perhaps the production will take time to cast actresses that will fill female roles.

While a serious action flick for the most part, I anticipate slight indications of romance here and there to diminish the solemnity of the plot.

January 20, 2016

RYOO Seung-wan and HWANG Jung-min Team Up Again for BATTLESHIP ISLAND
Period Escape Action-Drama Co-Stars SO Ji-sub and SONG Joong-ki

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

IaiCZYxOFXGOoYPxKjBC.png  

Word first got out about director RYOO Seung-wan’s follow-up project to Veteran last August and now the action maestro has confirmed his main cast for the film, which is called Battleship Island. HWANG Jung-min, SO Ji-sub and SONG Joong-ki will headline the period action drama which is currently in pre-production and eyeing a 2017 release.

Set during World War II, RYOO’s latest takes place on Japan’s Hashima Island (nicknamed Battleship Island), which became a forced labor camp in the 1930s for many Korean and Chinese civilians or prisoners of war, and follows the story of 400 Korean workers who attempt to escape. HWANG is on board to play a hotel worker who tries to bring his daughter to Japan to keep her safe, only to be rerouted to Hashima, where he does everything he can to protect her. Meanwhile, SO was cast as a tough streetfighter living on the island while SONG will be an independence fighter who sneaks onto Hashima to save a member of the independence movement.

Battleship Island will mark the third collaboration for RYOO and HWANG, following 2010’s The Unjust and last year’s phenomenally successful Veteran, which, with 13.41 million viewers (USD 86.9 million), is the third most highest-grossing Korean film of all time. HWANG is currently on a hot streak, having also appeared in Ode to My Father (2014) and The Himalayas (2015) recently.

A major TV presence, SO hasn’t had a lead role in a film since 2012’s A Company Man, though he did have a cameo in the hit period drama The Throne last fall. After starring in the smash hit A Werewolf Boy (2012), SONG had to enlist for his obligatory military service. Battleship Island marks the young star’s return to the big screen.

• 4 weeks later...

February 17, 2016

'Signal' actor Kim Won Hae joins Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub and Song Joong Ki for film 'Battleship Island'

Source: OSEN via Hancinema.net

photo689462.jpg

Kim Won-hae will star in movie "Battleship Island". According to multiple sources in film industry on February 17th, Kim Won-hae will join Hwang Jeong-min for the film, "Battleship Island".

"Battleship Island" by director Ryoo Seung-wan depicts the life-staking story of the around 400 Joseon Dynasty people who escaped from the Battleship Island in Japan, where they were confined as forced laborers. Hwang Jeong-min, So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki have been confirmed for the cast so far.

"Battleship Island" is preparing to begin filming and is slated to be open in 2017.

Kim Won-hae is currently starring tvN mystery crime show, "Signal" as detective Kim Gye-cheol working with Cha Soo-hyeon (Kim Hye-soo) and Park Hae-yeong (Lee Je-hoon) in a cold case unit.

February 24, 2016

"Battleship Island" to star Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, Song Joong Ki and Lee Jung Hyun

Source: Xportsnews via Hancinema.net

photo693712.jpg

Actors and actress Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, Song Joong Ki and Lee Jung Hyun are starring in "Battleship Island".

"Battleship Island" is the movie about 400 or so Joseon people risking their lives to make the escape from Battleship Island during the Japanese Invasion.

This movie is directed by Ryoo Seung Wan and the cast is the recent hottest topic.

Lee Jung Hyun, a various award winner, takes on the role of Mal-yeon, who attempts to escape Battleship Island with Lee Kang-ok (Hwang Jung Min), Choi Chil-seong (So Ji Sub) and Park Moo-yeong (Song Joong Ki).

She has been through hardships in life but hasn't been knocked out yet.

Lee Jung Hyun has been taking over the screens with her wide spectrum and she is expected leave an impressive performance in "Battleship Island".

Meanwhile, "Battleship Island" cranks in this June and will be released in July of 2017.

February 25, 2016

Lee Jung-hyun joins ‘Battleship’

(Osen)

Singer-actress Lee Jung-hyun has joined the film “Battleship,” which will be directed by Ryu Seung-wan.

Lee will portray a sex slave who experiences hardships while living on a Japanese island. 

In January it was confirmed that actors Song Joong-ki, So Ji-sub and Hwang Jung-min will also star in the film. 

The film tells the story of Korean people who were subjected to forced labor during Japan’s occupation of Korea.

Director Ryu is highly anticipated from the public since he had a great success with his latest movie “Veteran,” which was released last year. The film notched up about 13 million admissions at the local box office, making it the third-biggest Korean movie ever released. 

“Battleship” will start shooting in June and open in theaters in 2017.

(CJ Entertainment)

By Kim Soo-hyang (shkim@heraldcorp.com)

Lee Jung Hyun confirmed for new film 'Hashima (working title)'

Source: STARN News

Lee Jung Hyun has been confirmed for new film 'Hashima (working title).'

Recently, along with Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, and Song Joong Ki, Lee Jung Hyun has been confirmed for director Ryu Seung Wan's new film, 'Hashima (working title).'

'Hashima' is going to evolve around four hundred citizens of Joseon, who were moved to the Japanese island of Hashima during the Japanese occupation of Korea. 'Hashima' is the new film of director Ryu Seung Wan, who had directed 'VETERAN,' and Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, Song Joong Ki, and Lee Jung Hyun have all been confirmed as lead roles.

Lee Jung Hyun made a successful film screen debut through 'ROARING CURRENTS,' and received 'Best Actress' award last year at Blue Dragon Awards. In 'Hashima,' Lee Jung Hyun is going to play as a female lead role named 'Mal Nyeon,' who tries to escape Hashima with Lee Kang Ok (played by Hwang Jung Min), Choi Chil Sung (played by So Ji Sub), and Park Moo Young (played by Song Joong Ki).

Mal Nyeon gets moved to Hashima after going through endless troubles under the Japanese colonization, but she never loosens her strong grip on hope. Lee Jung Hyun had surprised a great number of movie fans and critiques with her phenomenal performance last year, and many people are showing huge anticipation for another transformation that she will present through 'Hashima.'

Meanwhile, the first shoot for 'Hashima' is going to take place in June, and the full movie will be officially released in 2017.

/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

• 2 weeks later...

March 7, 2016

LEE Jung-hyun Boards BATTLESHIP ISLAND
RYOO Seung-wan’s Latest Starts Shooting in June

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

TpJXFdqYGCfcTNFtekfC.png

Following her awards success in the hit indie Alice In Earnestland, LEE Jung-hyun has boarded Battleship Island. Director RYOO Seung-wan’s latest is coming together as the actress joins the already announced stars HWANG Jung-min, SO Ji-sub and SONG Joong-ki and the production is now eyeing a June start date.

RYOO’s film will take place on Japan’s Hashima Island (nicknamed Battleship Island) during World War II, where Korean and Chinese civilians or prisoners of war are forced to work. LEE will play a sex slave on the island while her co-stars play other unwilling island inhabitants who take part in a daring escape plan.

Already a popular singer, LEE has made a name for herself as a performer in acclaimed indie films, including Juvenile Offender (2012) in addition to Alice In Earnestland, as well as a supporting part in the all-time box office champ Roaring Currents (2014).

Expectations are high for the film, as it reunites RYOO and HWANG after last year’s all-time number three hit Veteran, and adds some major box office firepower with SO and SONG. HWANG in particular has been on a roll, having recently appeared in both the blockbusters The Himalayas and A Violent Prosecutor.

Filmmaker R & K is on board to produce while CJ Entertainment will finance and distribute. Battleship Island will bow at some point in 2017.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys....I think it will be a great movie. The camp page area in Chunceon is sooo large. There are two section area.  It's said that 70% shooting will be there. And because this movie will be starring by three famous actors it is expected that a large number of fans will come to visit. Producers will hold a press conference for it. 

005RKNrKjw1f2p52q6cqwj30go0b8wi0.jpg

Directors nim good luck...but please...don't ever kill my Jisub oppa in movie

Dark Background

To be honest, it will be hard for me to like this movie later. Because this movie seems to be a dark , sad and cruel movie. But the movie will be important part to reveal the dark side of Japan colonial history to South Korea and China. There was a brief article which we can read and understand the dark background story. 

Hashima ― forgotten island of tragedy

800 Koreans forced to work in colonial-era coal mines
By Kim Bo-eun

10050303(0).jpg
A government investigation committee, Thursday, unveiled a report on Japan’s forced mobilization of Koreans on Hashima Island during its colonial rule (1910-1945).

The findings of the report is the culmination of research carried out by the Commission on Verification and Support for Victims of Forced Mobilization under Japanese Colonialism, an affiliate of the Prime Minister’s Office.

The research, which began in May, highlights the inhumane conditions under which Korean laborers worked in coal mines on Japan’s Hashima Island.

Located some 18 kilometers from Nagasaki, the coal mines began operation in the late 19th century. 

The commission found that an estimated 800 Koreans were forced to provide labor on Hashima Island from 1944 to 1945, based on various records and testimony from survivors. 

“We were able to verify through cremation-related records that poor working and living conditions caused frequent fatalities and scores of diseases that increased the mortality levels amongst the laborers,” said Yoon Ji-Hyun, a member of the commission.

According to survivors’ testimony, the coal mine reached a depth of 1,000 meters, allowing seawater to sometimes seep into the pits where they worked, consequently exposing them to skin infections. 

Various gases including methane accumulated and condensed in the mines further exacerbating the already hazardous terrain. Even more worrying was the fact that Korean and Chinese laborers were often assigned to the most toxic gaseous sections. 

On several occasions the roofs of the mines caved in, amidst unbearable underground temperatures, according to the report. The island was completely isolated from the outside world. There were instances of laborers attempting to escape from the intolerable conditions, but unsuccessful escapees were subjected to extreme torture. 

Following the atomic bombing of Nagasaki in August 1945, scores of workers were ferried to the scene to clean up the rubble of the bomb attack. Most of those involved were consequently exposed to dangerous levels of radiation. 

Hashima was owned by the conglomerate Mitsubishi, one of the prime companies that mobilized forced labor during the colonial period. However, as the coal mining industry started to decline the company closed down the mine in 1974 and handed Hashima over to local authorities in 2001.

The Japanese government is currently in the process of registering Hashima Island and other modern industrial facilities for recognition as UNESCO World Heritage sites by 2015. However, Tokyo has remained quiet about the darker sides of the history of forced mobilization associated with the site, said Yoon.

She further alluded to a misrepresentation of facts by one Japanese civic group advocating for the UNESCO recognition. She claimed that the group wrongfully said there was a mass migration of Korean laborers to the area, when truthfully the migrants were taken there against their will. On this Yoon said, “the Japanese government and Mitsubishi must begin with a commitment to verifying facts in order to resolve the issue.”

:bawling::bawling:

Source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/10/117_121502.html

"Everyone....don't ever start the war, but start to making love" - my conclusions

April 12, 2016

Filming for BATTLESHIP ISLAND Kicks Off Next Month in Chuncheon
RYOO Seung-wan’s Latest to Use 6,600㎡ Set

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

fEgFesoFldSeskbIxOSS.png

RYOO Seung-wan’s next project, the World War II escape drama Battleship Island, is gearing up for filming, which will begin next month in the city of Chuncheon in Gangwon-do Province. It’ll be all hands on deck as stars HWANG Jung-min, SONG Joong-ki, SO Ji-sub and LEE Jung-hyun will participate in the production which is set to take place on a massive 6,600㎡ set.

The film takes its name from Japan’s Hashima Island, which is nicknamed Battleship Island, and is known to viewers as the location that serves as the villain’s lair in Bond film Skyfall (2012). During World War II, the island was an industrial manufacturing center that utilized the forced labor of Korean and Chinese civilians or prisoners of war. Inhabitants of the island stage a daring escape with the help of Korean independence fighters.

The film marks the third collaboration between RYOO and HWANG, following The Unjust (2010) and last year’s phenomenally successful cop thriller Veteran. SONG takes on his first film role since military service with the project, though he is currently featured in the highly-rated TV drama Descendants of the Sun, SO is back in a lead role in a film for the first time since 2012’s A Company Man and LEE will take part after completing the currently shooting Split alongside YOO Ji-tae.

Filmmaker R & K is the production company and CJ Entertainment is handling financing and distribution. Battleship Island should hit screens in 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

April 26, 2016

Song Joong-ki’s new film ‘Battleship Island’ to be filmed in Chuncheon

“Descendants of the Sun” star Song Joong-ki’s new movie “Battleship Island” will be filmed in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province, starting in mid-July. 

According to the city government on Tuesday, the film’s production company is set to build the film set at the site of former U.S. Army base Camp Page, from Wednesday through the end of June. 

Around 70 percent of the filming will take place in Chuncheon and it will continue through the end of this year. 

Song Joong-ki (Blossom Entertainment)

The 6,600-square-meter set will recreate the Battleship Island -- also known as Hashima Island, where Korean people were forced to work during the colonial occupation of Korea. 

“Battleship Island,” directed by Ryu Seung-wan, follows the story of Korean people who are desperately trying to escape the island.

Song will play an independence fighter Park Moo-young, while renowned actors So Ji-sub and Hwang Jung-min join the cast. 

“The city’s economy will revitalize as film staff members stay here. Also, we expect many hallyu fans from inside and outside of the country to visit (the city) during the shooting,” an official of the city said.

By Ahn Sung-mi (sahn@heraldcorp.com)

Archived