[Daily Drama 2016] Heaven's Promise/천상의 약속 KBS2 Mon-Fri 19:50 KST

debbiek153

천상의 약속 (Heaven's Promise)

2015121808123457338-540x360.jpg

(credits to tenasia.hankyung.com)

Title:  천상의 약속 (Heaven's Promise)

Network: KBS2

Director: Jeon Woo Seong (Fugitive of Joseon, Ohlala Couple)

Writer:

Start Date: February 1, 2016 (follows All Is Well)

Airing days/time: Monday - Friday, 19:50 (KST)

Starring:

Lee Yoo Ri as Lee Na Yeon/Baek Do Hee (twins)

Song Jong Ho as Park Hwi Kyung (*new addition!)

Seo Jun Young as Kang Tae Joon

Park Ha Na as Jang Se Jin

2015120816015318228-540x450.jpg     

(credits to tenasia.hankyung.com)

2016010700600_0.jpg

(credits to chosun.com)

Further Cast:

Lee Jong Won as Jang Kyung Wan

Kim Hye Ri as Park Yoo Kyung

Yoon Joo Sang as Park Man Jae

Oh Young Shil as Oh Man Jung

Lee Yeon Soo as Lee Yoon Ae

Yoon Bok In as Yang Mal Sook

Nam Kyung Eup

Im Hyun Sung

Kim Do Yun

Han Ga Rim

Kim Bo Mi

Summary:

"Na-Yeon (Lee Yu-Ri) is a bright woman. She supports her boyfriend Tae-Joon (Seo Jun-Young), who is from a poor background, and has even given up entering a university. But Tae-Joon dumps her for his success and goes with Se-Jin (Park Ha-Na), who is a granddaughter of Baekdoo Company president.

Do-Hee (Lee Yu-Ri) is Na-Yeon’s twin sister. She is arrogant and tough. Do-Hee works as a reporter at a weekly magazine. After Na-Yeon’s death, Do-Hee decides to take revenge. She takes on the identity of her sister Na-Yeon. Do-Hee then meets Hwi-Kyung (Song Jong-Ho), who is successor of Baekdoo Company."

--asianwiki

Articles: (all in Korean)

이유리, KBS 일일극 '천상의 약속'서 쌍둥이 연기 (Yonhap News)

박하나, KBS2 '천상의 약속' 캐스팅…이유리와 연적 (Yonhap News)

송종호 서준영 KBS '천상의약속' 남주 확정, 금수저vs흙수저 (JoongAng Ilbo)

송종호·서준영, KBS2 '천상의 약속'서 이유리의 남자로 낙점 (Poker Shin News)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if anyone else has uploaded this as a new topic...anyways.

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to this one. I absolutely despised Lee Yoo Ri's character in Come, Jang Bo Ri!, and really enjoyed her performance in Yellow Boots, so I know that she has the acting chops to pull off a vengeful woman. I'm not sure who the writer is for this drama, but I hope that KBS will choose a writer who could carry through a daily drama!

It's also nice to see Seo Jun Young on the screen. He's been playing male protagonists for a while, so it'll be nice to see him try out a villainous one for now, just to widen his repertoire.

Same with Song Jong Ho, he's also nice to see. I haven't seen him for a while--I'm not seeing his current one, yet, but I'll get around to it sooner or later.

For Park Ha Na, I'm reserving my opinion, for now. I'd like to see the character descriptions at the very least to see what role she'll play, since she came out of playing the lead role in her previous daily.

Fighting~

@debbiek153

Thanks for starting the thread.

Just a minor point, the title of the drama, '천상의 약속', should be Heaven's Promise.
means the heavens or heavenly (depending on context), whereas angel is .

On another note, some major supporting cast members have been confirmed -- Hancinema

KBS has yet to start a webpage for it, but I see on it's Korean Wiki that it'll be 100 eps rather than the usual 120 eps for a daily drama.

1 hour ago, ggry said:

@debbiek153

Thanks for starting the thread.

Just a minor point, the title of the drama, '천상의 약속', should be Heaven's Promise.
means the heavens or heavenly (depending on context), whereas angel is .

On another note, some major supporting cast members have been confirmed -- Hancinema

KBS has yet to start a webpage for it, but I see on it's Korean Wiki that it'll be 100 eps rather than the usual 120 eps for a daily drama.

Thanks, for the tip, @ggry!!! I missed that itty-bitty detail. I changed the title to "Heaven's Promise," because the "의" indicates possession. (I think? I'm not grammatically fluent in Korean.)

I'll put up the details for the major cast soon--it's four in the morning where I am, and I'm downright spent. I'll also try and translate some of the articles out now that's discussing possible plot points/character descriptions.

I wouldn't trust the episode number right now....depending on its popularity, KBS might go with the usual trend of extending the number of episodes to "adequately finish the story," so to speak.

@debbiek153, Hi ...   thank you for starting the thread.

@ggry, thank you for letting me know about it.

I see that both DramaWiki and Hancinema ,and KoreanDrama refer to it as Heaven's Promise, as @ggry mentioned.

AsianWiki refers to it as The Promise

I hope KBSW will download it on their YT channel.

On 1/7/2016 at 0:19 AM, debbiek153 said:

I'm not sure if anyone else has uploaded this as a new topic...anyways.

@debbiek153, hi.. It' not on the Official Thread Directory.

I suggest you send Rubie  a PM and request she add it under KBS, with the link to the thread.  (If you want me to, I can do that. Just let me know please)    But maybe first change the name to "Heaven's Promise?" as that is the name it is listed under in 3 of the sources.  You can put "The Promise" and Angels Promise as a tag, if you wish to.

Once it is listed on the directory, it will show people that the thread exists, and also may bring more people here.

On 1/7/2016 at 0:19 AM, debbiek153 said:

It's also nice to see Seo Jun Young on the screen. He's been playing male protagonists for a while, so it'll be nice to see him try out a villainous one for now, just to widen his repertoire.

Same with Song Jong Ho, he's also nice to see. I haven't seen him for a while--I'm not seeing his current one, yet, but I'll get around to it sooner or later.

@debbiek153, I like these two, as well as Lee Jong-Won.
I am not familiar with the 2 leading ladies.

From the supporting cast, aside from Lee Jong-Won, I love the veteran actor Yoon Joo-Sang
I liked Kim Hye-Ri (in Scandal),
Yoon Bok-In was OK  in the various drama I saw her in, but they were small roles  (Assembly, Heard it Through the Grapevine)
Kim Bo-Mi also had a small part in Assembly

I think from all the sources, KoreanDrama.org has the most updated cast list.

http://www.koreandrama.org/heavens-promise/

@irilight

Hello! Thank you so much for all of the information! I just PMed rubie, and hopefully she'll have the Official Threads Directory updated soon.

Lee Yoo Ri is mostly known for her vengeful role in TVN's Yellow Boots--which was, in my opinion, one of the more successful dailies that the cable network has put out (compared to, ah, some of the other ones). She's also known for her rather memorable role as the villain in Come, Jang Bo Ri! She was excellent in both roles--I'd recommend both!

I'm not as familiar with Park Ha Na myself. I saw her Apgujeong Midnight Sun, which was a disaster in itself, and wasn't particularly overwhelmed with her performance. But improvement in acting comes in getting more roles, so I'll reserve my opinion until after I've seen her in this.

Kim Hye Ri is sure busy these days! She just wrapped up SBS' My Mother is a Daughter-in-Law/ 어머님은 내 며느리 with Shim Yi Young and Kim Jung Hyun. I wonder what role she'll play in this one. Never mind. She'll play the mother of Park Ha Na's character, Se Jin.

(Oh Young Shil also starred with Kim Hye Ri, too, as her sister-in-law!)

@debbiek153, Thank you very much for all that you .   

I actually do not often watch dailies, but I was drawn here because of Lee Jong-Won and Seo Joon-Young.

I can't promise I'll stick with it... I have a bad track record as far as sticking with dailies. Very few that I watched all the way through.

A shoutout to some friends...   @valsava@suchadiva42, @tinatrix236, @Triton823, @rikimaiu, @Ldy Gmerm, @UnniSarah, @orangeluv

Maybe you want to check out this new daily drama.

@irilight  Thanks chingu for the shout out, hmm" Lee Yoo Ri is in this one but what kind of revenge her character is going to be as this being a daily drama, and how LYR had me so furious watching her in Come Jang Bo Ri drama that I still haven't recovered yet from it lol. But I'm willing to give this drama a try and just by seeing some familiar actors/actresses in this one as well.

4 hours ago, irilight said:

I actually do not often watch dailies, but I was drawn here because of Lee Jong-Won and Seo Joon-Young.

I can't promise I'll stick with it... I have a bad track record as far as sticking with dailies. Very few that I watched all the way through.

(First, I'm so sorry for cutting into your post!)

My rather tumultuous affair with dailies is rather unhealthy, I must say. After each one I tell myself, no more, no more, yet I more than eagerly jump on the next one. Lee Yoo Ri and Song Jong Ho do that for me, unfortunately.

I also have a tendency to jump in and out of a drama, particularly for dailies, especially if I see the drama taking a nosedive into the deep end. I might disappear here and there, but I'll be watching it to the bitter end.

13 hours ago, irilight said:

A shoutout to some friends...   @valsava@suchadiva42, @tinatrix236, @Triton823, @rikimaiu, @Ldy Gmerm, @UnniSarah, @orangeluv

Maybe you want to check out this new daily drama.

@irilight.....Thanks for invite. I am thrilled to see @ggry will be joining us here too.  Annyeong ching *waving*

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@irilight.....Thanks for invite. I am thrilled to see @ggry will be joining us here too.  Annyeong ching *waving*

@UnniSarah 

Annyeong! :)

I see that some of the TOH alumni have shown up.
Hopefully the SWs do as good a job as with TOH.
At least this time, the station being KBS, there shouldn't be any abrupt ending.

18 hours ago, debbiek153 said:

Thanks, for the tip, @ggry!!! I missed that itty-bitty detail. I changed the title to "Heaven's Promise," because the "의" indicates possession. (I think? I'm not grammatically fluent in Korean.)

I'll put up the details for the major cast soon--it's four in the morning where I am, and I'm downright spent. I'll also try and translate some of the articles out now that's discussing possible plot points/character descriptions.

I wouldn't trust the episode number right now....depending on its popularity, KBS might go with the usual trend of extending the number of episodes to "adequately finish the story," so to speak.

@debbiek153

Yes, the '' indicates possession.

Still no sign of an official page for the drama on KBS though.
Would be good to see the official character descriptions.

Hopefully there won't be any major extension, I hate it when it happens.
Most of the time, it ruins the flow and the story just drags.

I don't think I have seen anything with Lee Yoo-Ri, but Twinkle Twinkle is on my to watch list because of the scriptwriter and Kim Hyun-Joo, Ko Du-Shim - mostly, but there are others I like on the cast.

I am watching now SBS' "I Have a Lover" with Kim Hyun-Joo's amazing performance as twins, and very well layered characters to both.

I am almost afraid to watch another "twin drama" at the same time.

Lee Yoo Ri Returns To KBS In 'Heaven's Promise'

Lee Yoo Ri

Lee Yoo Ri has not appeared in a KBS drama since "Mom's Dead Upset" and that dramas was eight years ago. To make up for her absence from KBS she will play not one but two characters, a set of very different twins, in her upcoming KBS drama "Heaven's Promise."

"I'm happy to be in 'Heaven's Promise' and I look forward to it," Lee Yo Ri recently told the Korean media outlet TV Report.

In "Heaven's Promise" she will play twin sisters Lee Na Yeon and Baek Do Hee. The twins may look alike but their personalities are nothing alike. Lee Na Yeon is brave, loyal and sweet, while Baek Do Hee is arrogant and not very likable.

The drama will feature four generations of women who suffered through bad relationships. But it will focus on one whose life is ruined by a relationship.

It may be Lee's first KBS drama in eight years but she has kept busy. In 2011 she appeared as the character Hwang Geum Ran in the MBC drama "Twinkle Twinkle." She had a 2012 role in the drama "Yellow Boots" and appeared in the 2013 morning melodrama "Your Lady." In 2014 she played Yeon Min Jung  in the weekend drama "Jang Bo Ri Is Here." It was a breakout role for her.

That year Lee won the Grand Prize at the MBC Drama Awards, gaining about 54 percent of the vote. She was also ranked in the top five of Gallup Korea's "Actor of the Year", reaching second place just behind Kim Soo Hyun.  

In 2015 she appeared in "Super Daddy Yeol" with co-star Lee Dong Gun.

"Heaven's Promise" also stars Park Ha Na, who appeared in "Apgujeong Midnight Sun" and "Empress Ki," and Seo Joon Young, whose last drama was also "Super Daddy Yeol."

Heo In Moo wrote "Heaven's Promise" and Jeon Woo Sung will direct the drama. It will air in February

source

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 9:20 AM, irilight said:

I don't think I have seen anything with Lee Yoo-Ri, but Twinkle Twinkle is on my to watch list because of the scriptwriter and Kim Hyun-Joo, Ko Du-Shim - mostly, but there are others I like on the cast.

I am watching now SBS' "I Have a Lover" with Kim Hyun-Joo's amazing performance as twins, and very well layered characters to both.

I am almost afraid to watch another "twin drama" at the same time.

Lee Yoo Ri Returns To KBS In 'Heaven's Promise'

Lee Yoo Ri has not appeared in a KBS drama since "Mom's Dead Upset" and that dramas was eight years ago. To make up for her absence from KBS she will play not one but two characters, a set of very different twins, in her upcoming KBS drama "Heaven's Promise."

"I'm happy to be in 'Heaven's Promise' and I look forward to it," Lee Yo Ri recently told the Korean media outlet TV Report.

In "Heaven's Promise" she will play twin sisters Lee Na Yeon and Baek Do Hee. The twins may look alike but their personalities are nothing alike. Lee Na Yeon is brave, loyal and sweet, while Baek Do Hee is arrogant and not very likable.

The drama will feature four generations of women who suffered through bad relationships. But it will focus on one whose life is ruined by a relationship.

[...]

@irilight

NB: Certain pieces of info edited in the light of further information (7th Feb)

I wouldn't worry about the 'twin' effect as the older twin, Lee Na Yeon  Baek Do Hee, is slated to die.
The younger one, Lee Na Yeon will then assume her eonni's identity for taking revenge on Seo Jun-Young's character.
Not sure how many eps the older twin will last though, but the story is mainly on the revenge, so she's dead meat and shouldn't last long.

The description '4 generations of women' doesn't sound right. 4 women involving 2 generations is far more accurate.
The 1st generation involved the mom of the twin girls, Lee Yun Ae,  vs the chaebol daughter Pak Yu Gyeong (played by Kim Hye Ri).
The 2 women were high schoolmates and Lee Yun Ae was the first love of LJW's character, Jang Gyeong Wan.
Pak Yu Gyeong quite cruelly trampled on Lee Yun Ae to get her hands on Jang Gyeong Wan,
though he also consciously chose the chaebol girl in the end.

Let's just say the bad blood continues into the 2nd generation as Seo Jun Young's character, Gang Tae Jun,
starts off as Lee Yun Ae's younger twin daughter, Lee Na Yeon's bf, but he eventually dumps her for the chaebol granddaughter,
Jang Se Jin, who happens to be Pak Yu Gyeong and Jang Gyeong Wan's daughter.
Worse, the chaebol parents got involved in their daughter's love triangle and played a part in running down the poor rival to her death.
Which then leaves the girl's younger twin to seek revenge. Na Yeon is left wiht no option but to take revenge by assuming
the identity of her dead twin eonni.

If you're wondering why the twins have different surnames. if I remember correctly, the younger  older one was adopted.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, tinatrix236 said:

@irilight

Thank you for the invite! I have been away on vacation and trying to catch up on some missed episodes. I see some chingus here as well and it's good to see @ggry will be joining us. Hopefully this drama won't be a trainwreck. :lol:

@tinatrix236

Greetings :)

I doubt that this drama will be a train wreck as the SWs' previous drama was quite riveting,
whereas GW's SW already had a reputable for being rubbish prior to it.

@debbiek153

I just spotted these 2 mistakes in the Asianwiki summary –

(1) Baekdoo Company should be Baekdo.
Actually, the articles in Korean have it down as Baekdo Group (
백도그룹) .

It would have to be 백두 for the romanisation to be Baekdoo/Baekdu.
So far, there's only a mention of Chairman Park Man Jae having built it up from Baekdo Construction from scratch.
No idea whether the group has other units/subsidiaries in other industries though.

(2) Se-Jin (Park Ha-Na), who is a granddaughter of Baekdoo Company president.
She's the granddaughter of the Baekdo Group chairman and daughter of the
Baekdo Group president.

Archived