26 minutes ago, sohocomo said:

More psychological analysis:

(Disclaimer - I am more knowledgeable in aspects of Korean culture than Chinese culture, but from what I have observed the following theory crosses the cultures.)

JY is the 'older brother' based on his age. Because of this, ZZ should, and does, treat JY with a sense of respect and deference to an extent.

At the same time, ZZ has worked in this area of entertainment longer and more than JY, making ZZ the senior experience wise. 

Thus, they cancel each other out, leading to an 'equality' between them. If they did not understand themselves to be equal, then it would be more likely that their interactions, conscious and subconscious, would be full of 'power struggle' actions. We can see that those actions are very,very rare between the two.

(I've actually had a story I plan to write in my head for almost a year based on this theory. (Have to finish the one I'm currently working on first.) I just came to realize today that it actually fits JY/ZZ.)

This is a very interesting observation, @sohocomo, which I have failed to understand before because my lack of knowledge on Chinese culture of seniority. Thank you! If you are interested to write more on this, I'd be happy to read it! :) 

One question which is nagging on my mind: I found their interaction to be on equal basis, as you have said. But as far as I know, both of them appear to "give". During their interactions (in BTS, fan meeting, interviews) I see Johnny is more aggressive and sometime has sudden burst of aggression but he is also very considerate to Zhouzhou. Zhouzhou apparently accepted Johnny's sudden burst of aggression with patience and does not "demand" anything in return.

This makes their relationship so sweet watching them makes my teeth ache :P but at the same time, I (as a sceptic) find it hard to believe. There must be points where they "demand" something from the other? Or maybe this is also influenced by their culture?

What is your take on this? 

• Like 17

44 minutes ago, sohocomo said:

They appear a little bent too - just away from each other instead of spooning.

(Spooning...spooning...I feel a ridiculous analogy coming...) They're a knife and fork! Alike in that they're both eating utensils, they work well together, but you don't put them on top of each other in the drawer! :lol:

Holy c**p! Where did that come from?!?!?!?

So no topping each other??? *gasp*

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, gayyoxx said:

This is a very interesting observation, @sohocomo, which I have failed to understand before because my lack of knowledge on Chinese culture of seniority. Thank you! If you are interested to write more on this, I'd be happy to read it! :) 

One question which is nagging on my mind: I found their interaction to be on equal basis, as you have said. But as far as I know, both of them appear to "give". During their interactions (in BTS, fan meeting, interviews) I see Johnny is more aggressive and sometime has sudden burst of aggression but he is also very considerate to Zhouzhou. Zhouzhou apparently accepted Johnny's sudden burst of aggression with patience and does not "demand" anything in return.

This makes their relationship so sweet watching them makes my teeth ache :P but at the same time, I (as a sceptic) find it hard to believe. There must be points where they "demand" something from the other? Or maybe this is also influenced by their culture?

Two possible points where one is personal and the other is cultural. However, can I make some points on the cultural one?

AFAIK, in some Asian cultures, there are same-sex couples accepted and at times tolerated. However, there seems to be a trend. Of the couple, one is more aggressive and the other is more receptive or submissive. This can range from mentor-mentee relationships to actual loving couples (at least in the pre-Hispanic Philippine Indigenous culture).

While these are pre-Western colonization era culture, we should be reminded with the possibility of societal memory which are further engrained into individuals centuries removed from the actual exercise of said culture. This is one of the possible explanations behind what we are seeing.

I hope I make sense and please do not kill me. Haha

• Like 9

Can anyone confirm this for me. My friend told me that JY said he prefers “Westerners/European” look? He apparently said that was his type when he had an interview with ZZ, CW, and LFS.

I went to Johnny’s instagram to check who he is following and he is following so many beautiful Caucasians bikini/nude models. I didn’t know that was his type :P They are so lucky to get JY’s follow >_<

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gayyoxx said:

I think that is where the sense of equality comes in. It's not so much a cultural inclination, but a human one. When two people enter into a relationship with each other, whether it be just friendship or something more, they tend to be more forgiving and upholding with each other.

For example: my best friend and I. There are times she will do something completely insane, usually in public. If any of my other friends, or someone I really don't know, did those same things, I'd be really p*ssed at them. But with M, I just laugh it off. Why? Because I love her. She's my best friend, my kindred sister. True, we've known each other 28 years and that amount of time has forged an amazing bond between us, but even when we had only known each other for a short time it was like this. I am older than her (by about 6 months), but her life experiences have been more challenging than mine in many ways. I'm older, she's wiser. We are very equal.

I think what we see from JY/ZZ is very much like this. They don't demand anything from each other, because they only want to give. From my own personal experience, when I care about someone, the only thing I want to demand of them is that they accept the love I want to give to them. Not just romantically, but also with my family and friends. I don't feel superior or lesser towards someone because of this. I want to give to them, because when they are full so am I. (Another way to say this might be "I give so I can take, they take so they can give.") From what I see, JY/ZZ can be described this way - kindred spirits with an abiding affection for each other (if for no other reason than the show threw them together into this wild celebrity). Whether that affection comes from a place of friendship, brotherhood, or more I will not attempt to determine. What I can say, with confidence, is that when I watch the two of them interacting with each other, I feel I am watching two people who are connected in ways no other person can truly understand. 

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, sohocomo said:

I think that is where the sense of equality comes in. It's not so much a cultural inclination, but a human one. When two people enter into a relationship with each other, whether it be just friendship or something more, they tend to be more forgiving and upholding with each other.

For example: my best friend and I. There are times she will do something completely insane, usually in public. If any of my other friends, or someone I really don't know, did those same things, I'd be really p*ssed at them. But with M, I just laugh it off. Why? Because I love her. She's my best friend, my kindred sister. True, we've known each other 28 years and that amount of time has forged an amazing bond between us, but even when we had only known each other for a short time it was like this. I am older than her (by about 6 months), but her life experiences have been more challenging than mine in many ways. I'm older, she's wiser. We are very equal.

I think what we see from JY/ZZ is very much like this. They don't demand anything from each other, because they only want to give. From my own personal experience, when I care about someone, the only thing I want to demand of them is that they accept the love I want to give to them. Not just romantically, but also with my family and friends. I don't feel superior or lesser towards someone because of this. I want to give to them, because when they are full so am I. (Another way to say this might be "I give so I can take, they take so they can give.") From what I see, JY/ZZ can be described this way - kindred spirits with an abiding affection for each other (if for no other reason than the show threw them together into this wild celebrity). Whether that affection comes from a place of friendship, brotherhood, or more I will not attempt to determine. What I can say, with confidence, is that when I watch the two of them interacting with each other, I feel I am watching two people who are connected in ways no other person can truly understand. 

This is based on the assumption that the person (ZZ) involved is altruistic in nature, which in this case the acceptance of JY's nature without asking anything in return despite spending resources (this time the abstract resource such as patience) to deal with such behavior. While others exercise this behavior with the hopes of future reciprocation (in humans that includes friends and strangers), this criterion is quite difficult to quantify at this point. Therefore, that altruistic behavior we are seeing is interesting for it is typically reserved (across biological species) towards family and mates. Yup, those mates you see as couples.

We can therefore conclude that the ship sails.

God, I hope I made sense.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, thoron said:

:w00t:Happy 300th PAGE guys!!!  :w00t:

(

I also applaud the likes of @gashupingo , auntie @sohocomo, @hellolive, @leemicho, @chistarr, @jemmaca, @porcelainwhite, @Lester Gordula and many more who elevate the level of discussion to intellectual discourse. Now who dare says we are just bunch of thirsty h0rny fans oggling cute boys.

Haha!!! this 'aunty' thanks you for the mention! Although I think you meant that for sohocomo? lol. happy 300th page to you too!!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gayyoxx said:

@gayyoxx  Personal teaser for you...

This story is a noona/dongsaeng friendship where the dongsaeng is boss and noona is his secretary, and how this equality between them effects family/business/social aspects. I originally thought of it as a KDrama, so my plan is to write it in 'episode style.' But I need to finish Painted Promises first. Though I have 2 other stories I'm thinking to add to it to make a trilogy, so I'll have to see where my mind is when PP is done. (I should have chapters 6 & 7 up by Sunday, maybe even 8 & 9  - the aftermath and Tim arrives :sweatingbullets: - but I have to find my way out of this thread first :rolleyes:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gayyoxx said:

What I like about their relationship is the mutual respect they have for each other, and the feeling that they can rely on each other. The forced closeness from having them sleep together during filming really did wonders for their friendship. I get the feeling that if either one were to be demanding, the other would give in fairly easily (although I kind of see JY giving in more to be honest; he seems almost like GH in that respect, with how much he adores ZZ)

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, thoron said:

:w00t:Happy 300th PAGE guys!!!  :w00t:

@thoron If I was a little less technologically challenged, auntie would place here a video of Rod Stewart singing "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" :lol:

Your wit is one of the "grand" things about this thread, one of the many many "grand things" about this thread. :D:wub::D

• Like 9

Guest skeletonworks

Thanks everyone for contributing and joining in the discussion!

ak7u8tC.gif

*had to crop Johnny because he soooo hates dancing or anything that needs shaking the body lol*