Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] Thinking of Lu Xiang Bei 一念向北

For me, any drama with Hawick I would watch till the end...regardless how bad the script or the lead actress is.

There is another current drama called "first love" by Hawick.  Again the lead actress is really a boring good looker with a terribly dull way of talking and the script of making her act like a mother is a bit too far-fetched for her as she looks like one who still needs a mother to look after.  Neverthless, I am enjoying every bit of Hawick and the second male lead's acting and interaction.   :wub::w00t:   So I am chasing the drama daily.....:lol:

The chinese always release good dramas all at once.. so many I want to keep watching!

On 5/19/2016 at 7:00 PM, lovehbhjw2013 said:

For me, any drama with Hawick I would watch till the end...regardless how bad the script or the lead actress is.

There is another current drama called "first love" by Hawick.  Again the lead actress is really a boring good looker with a terribly dull way of talking and the script of making her act like a mother is a bit too far-fetched for her as she looks like one who still needs a mother to look after.  Neverthless, I am enjoying every bit of Hawick and the second male lead's acting and interaction.   :wub::w00t:   So I am chasing the drama daily.....:lol:

Me too.  Just started watching this drama.  Agreed with you on the lead actress in First Love .......lacked expression.  I also realised that Hawick will always be acting with the same lead actress twice in two separate dramas.  Ying Er in SWAK & Painted Skin II; Zheng Shuang in Cage of Love & Chronicles of Life; Tiffany Tang in Master of Destiny and Lady & The Liar; Zang Li in Four Literary Masters and Lu Xiang Bei.  I would rather see an intelligent looking lead actress than a pretty face who do not know how to act. 

Started watching this and I have to say that the synopsis is so misleading!! It's actually pretty good - was put off by the synopsis but decided to try after seeing it being subbed on Viki. Up to ep 33 now and I think it's pretty good. In fact, it's quite riveting and the business conflicts are done quite well too. I have never watched Hawick Lau before but I thought he did well here - he is after all deaf and has to stare at people to lip read so it makes sense his expressions are a bit contorted. :) Zhang Li is also adorable and not annoying - her transition is believable and her sunniness doesn't come across forced. In fact, I stopped watching The Interpreter to finish this. (Up to ep 33 now). Have to say that Huang Xuan character in the Interpreter gives me same vibes as Hawick - cold and wel dresses but Hawick does it better . And Yang Mi is definitely not as good an actress as Zhang Li !!!  The storyline develops quite well too and I like that Hawick 's character is shown to have a heart early on (despite revenge driven by his grandfather) and does not change overnight because of meeting Yi Nian. I wonder how are the ratings for this show? After reading this forum, am trying to find online for the uncut version ! Watching on YouTube now and it's only up to ep 36. 

On 5/7/2016 at 2:38 AM, lia00027 said:

Wait a minute people do not discourage watching this drama because of unliking comments above. Yes Hawick's acting is totally different with when he was acting on "Sealed with a kiss" definitely because he is acting as 2 different characters. As Lu Xiang Bei Hawick was acting as an unlucky person who was poor and growing up in a harsh life without his real parents beside him while on SWAK he was still a rich man's son and noted that he was not really alone since his parents were alive when he was a child not grew up as an orphan, so of course he was portraying differently but people tend to compare his acting on SWAK with another drama which i can understand since it is his role breakthrough and his great acting so far. However still he is really good acting as Lu Xiang Bei ( i'm currently watching ep. 29). 

The synopsis should be changed because the story is totally different even though the characters are similar. Instead of forcing to be marriage Tong Yi Nian was fall for Lu Xiang Bei because she knew that guy is not a bad person and he has his own goodness but never show it in front of others, but conflict arised when Xiang Bei's grandfather was not allowing Xiang Bei to be with Yi Nian since Yi Nian's father his ex-student did bad thing to him hence the grandpa wanted Xiang Bei to take over Tong's company (perfect) and Xiang Bei's father company (Huajai). In all the bad things Xiang Bei cared for his foster-mom like his real mom and the mom (Liang ma) adored Yi Nian and knew those two hearts only accepted Yi Nian as her daughter-in-law not the bad girl (Ying ying) whom Xiang Bei grandpa forced him to  marry to. Conflicts arised with new characters showing up but Tong Yi Nian's ultimate trust to Xiang Bei is amazing won him over her stocks in Tong's company and she did nothing wrong with that.  

So far I find the plot running quite quick compare to usually dragging mainland drama, the story is not boring if you followed it closely you will feel Lu Xiang Bei is a sad characted and Tong Yi Nian is matured through episods which encouraged me to watch more since I found her character as dummy at first, yes it is a nice development the other would be when Xiang Bei tried to love rather than taking revenge.

Watching this drama will need concentration since the eng sub is until ep. 4 so far yet i can understand the story line (i guess my chinese is not bad after all) but you will not find it boring if you can find the true stories of each characters since the story is not too dragging and not too complicated, instead it moved on quite fast and the problems will be easy to handle since main character Lu Xiang Bei was made as a  smart and intelligent person even though he has few flaws so he can handle one problem to another. Yes the actress who was acting as Tong Yinian is really not bad i can say she is good and don't compare her with another actresses whom were acting with Hawick before since they were acting as totally different characters on each dramas.

I think viewers need to remember that Lu Xiang Bei  had a disability in this role and most of the time he is doing lip reading.  He would naturally looked different from other normal people thus affecting his facial expression.

Yes! The DVD version of Road to the North/Thinking of Lu Xiang Bei is 38 epis (originally Yesasia had it listed as 36 epis, but when my order was shipped, the item page got updated to 38 epis)! High chance I'll be able to see the cut scenes now ^_^

This is surprisingly good for a soap opera. Sure it's not perfect but the storyline and the moral and personal ramifications of revenge is quite well done. 

Someone really needs to change the plot synopsis because it's totally off. 

If I had to pick between this and The Interpreter, I'd say this one is superior in almost every way particularly because the writer treats the characters with respect and takes everyone on a personal journey of discovery, repentance and change. No doubt it's a little hokey at times but the storytelling is solid.

25 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This is surprisingly good for a soap opera. Sure it's not perfect but the storyline and the moral and personal ramifications of revenge is quite well done. 

Someone really needs to change the plot synopsis because it's totally off. 

If I had to pick between this and The Interpreter, I'd say this one is superior in almost every way particularly because the writer treats the characters with respect and takes everyone on a personal journey of discovery, repentance and change. No doubt it's a little hokey at times but the storytelling is solid.

Thank you for your review. I left the drama at ep 6 since I didn't understand the plot.. hopefully you can provide a better synopsis? I'm giving this another try. 

46 minutes ago, thunderman1 said:

Thank you for your review. I left the drama at ep 6 since I didn't understand the plot.. hopefully you can provide a better synopsis? I'm giving this another try. 

No problems. :D

Raised from childhood to exact revenge on the two men who allegedly destroyed his family, the brilliant Lu Xiangbei undergoes a journey of self-discovery fraught with obstacles to find happiness and redemption. He unexpectedly falls for Tong Yi Nian, the daughter of an enemy that he has sought to undermine from within. Apart from inheriting business acumen from both sides of his family, Xiangbei carries deep scars from his childhood that drive his need for vengeance. 

The title "Yi Nian Xiang Bei" is a play on words: The female lead is Yi Nian, which means "still thinking about", Xiang Bei could mean "to head north" or "towards north". His surname "Lu" means "land" but it also sounds like "lu" which means "road".

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

No problems. :D

Raised from childhood to exact revenge on the two men who allegedly destroyed his family, the brilliant Lu Xiangbei undergoes a journey of self-discovery fraught with obstacles to find happiness and redemption. He unexpectedly falls for Tong Yi Nian, the daughter of an enemy that he has sought to undermine from within. Apart from inheriting business acumen from both sides of his family, Xiangbei carries deep scars from his childhood that drive his need for vengeance. 

The title "Yi Nian Xiang Bei" is a play on words: The female lead is Yi Nian, which means "still thinking about", Xiang Bei could mean "to head north" or "towards north". His surname "Lu" means "land" but it also sounds like "lu" which means "road".

Oh  great breakdown of the components to this drama. Looking forward to marathoning the rest. this July 4 weekend. :)