[Current Mainland Chinese Movie 2017] Once Upon A Time 三生三世,十里桃花

sugarplum892

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mooninpisces said:

Thanks for the latest trailer Cedric Ong! I wish it had subtitles... Does the dialogue follow the known storyline?

You said you know the reason for the Aug 4th debut.  What is it, if I may ask?

Sooooo excited to see this!

Just a guess. Of course they might have a more necessary reason (eg commercial) for the delay...initially 21 jul right? But coincidentally in the story, the phrase Shi Hai Ba Huang (4 Seas and 8 Lands) is often mentioned...thus 4 Aug(8th month).

Thinking back...maybe 21 jul was also specially selected....21 divided by 7 (july) = 3 (Lives).

Or merely bcos both dates are fridays..haha.

9 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Just a guess. Of course they might have a more necessary reason (eg commercial) for the delay...initially 21 jul right? But coincidentally in the story, the phrase Shi Hai Ba Huang (4 Seas and 8 Lands) is often mentioned...thus 4 Aug(8th month).

Thinking back...maybe 21 jul was also specially selected....21 divided by 7 (july) = 3 (Lives).

Or merely bcos both dates are fridays..haha.

Auspicious dates then?  Interesting.  (of course, there are no "bad" Fridays, right? Lol....)

14 minutes ago, mooninpisces said:

Auspicious dates then?  Interesting.  (of course, there are no "bad" Fridays, right? Lol....)

No..i mean starting just before the weekend (sat and sun)... my local cinemas mostly debut movies on thu...sometimes fri....so the starting days can maximise no of cinema goers.

For this 4 aug date...the last trailer itself tag the phrase 4 Seas and 8 Lands at the end...together with the date. So i assume it is linked.

As for the dialogue..or some details would be different...considering a movie vs a long drama. One part i notice in the trailer....the part where Susu told Yehua to let each other go....the drama is by long dist hand held mirror...haha....in the movie trailer she said it in front of him.

2 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

No..i mean starting just before the weekend (sat and sun)... my local cinemas mostly debut movies on thu...sometimes fri....so the starting days can maximise no of cinema goers.

For this 4 aug date...the last trailer itself tag the phrase 4 Seas and 8 Lands at the end...together with the date. So i assume it is linked.

As for the dialogue..or some details would be different...considering a movie vs a long drama. One part i notice in the trailer....the part where Susu told Yehua to let each other go....the drama is by long dist hand held mirror...haha....in the movie trailer she said it in front of him.

Ah, got it! Thanks!

I did notice that the "let each other go" speech was face-to-face rather than with the mirrors (long dist hand held :p).  I've been squeezing my eyeballs watching the trailer trying to see who is standing on the punishment platform when SuSu jumps.  YeHua doesn't appear to be there at that moment but rather runs in after she jumps in a different scene...?  

Another confusion point for me is who is running away with the bundled baby in her arms?  Is it now SuSu (and not Xuan Nu like in the drama)? 

You're right about details having to be changed to accommodate a movie length run time.  It'll be interesting to see what changes they've made.

On 27/03/2017 at 11:11 AM, SugarBear said:

WHAT IS THIS!!! Hope he doesn't wear that in the movie 
This didn't do any justice ... 
:persevere:

I have to agree with you there. It's so weird that they would make him peacock blue with feathers. 

Since that's the same costume he wears in the trailers, chances are that is literally what he wears for the whole movie.

Thanks for the Eng-sub trailer!

So, this movie is being released in theatres in North America on August 11th?

I wonder how many cinemas will carry it... I'm thinking this won't be easy to find unless you live in a major city with foreign cinema access...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/well-go-usa-once-upon-a-time-rights-im-global-1202477101/

2 hours ago, mooninpisces said:

Thanks for the Eng-sub trailer!

So, this movie is being released in theatres in North America on August 11th?

I wonder how many cinemas will carry it... I'm thinking this won't be easy to find unless you live in a major city with foreign cinema access...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/well-go-usa-once-upon-a-time-rights-im-global-1202477101/

Check this page for a list of the theaters in the US that will carry this movie (scroll down): http://wellgousa.com/theatrical/once-upon-a-time

And check w/ the AMC website or online sites such as Fandango, Atom on the week of the movie airing, you will get a more accurate picture of which theaters will have the movie. Since I live in SoCal, I can easily go to 2 of the 3 listed at the Well Go USA page for the "Los Angeles" area. I think location is likely by whether the area you reside has a large Asian population. I wouldn't be surprised if several more theaters in the "Los Angeles" area will carry it as the date draws nearer.

8 hours ago, creidesca said:

Check this page for a list of the theaters in the US that will carry this movie (scroll down): http://wellgousa.com/theatrical/once-upon-a-time

And check w/ the AMC website or online sites such as Fandango, Atom on the week of the movie airing, you will get a more accurate picture of which theaters will have the movie. Since I live in SoCal, I can easily go to 2 of the 3 listed at the Well Go USA page for the "Los Angeles" area. I think location is likely by whether the area you reside has a large Asian population. I wouldn't be surprised if several more theaters in the "Los Angeles" area will carry it as the date draws nearer.

I'm in eastern Canada. Unless I suddenly decide to make weekend trip to Boston or NYC (...hmmm...:wink:),  I have a sinking feeling that I'll have to wait for the digital and home video release later in the year. Oh well, good things are worth waiting for.

They bring forward one day. To show in china and some countries on 3 Aug.

Official movie song (same name as movie title) by Na Ying.

Read that wont have several chars in the movie eg BaiZhen, FengJiu, DongHua, LiJing etc. Due to limited movie time...the story is fully focused on YeHua and BaiQian/Susu.

I know ZheYan is described to be colourful (both char and clothes) in the novel but i am too used to the tv version...haha. Read the movie char even show soft mannerism (eg ladylike finger gestures)...the actor LuoJin said the char is sexless. Maybe bcos Phoenix in chinese is made up of 2 chars Feng and Huang which refers to Male and Female versions of the same bird.

The previously posted BTS or interview clip. Eng sub verson.

I'm super excited for the release of the movie. A lot of people are saying Yang Mi is the "only" Bai Qian but that makes no sense to me. Yang Mi did a great job portraying the character but it doesn't mean Liu Yi Fei can't. I actually didn't even know a movie version existed until after watching the drama, and when I saw that Liu Yi Fei was the lead, I was beyond delighted. I thought she would fit the role perfectly. After all, she aint 仙女姐姐 for nothing.

If I'm not mistaken, the production team actually posted a poll to see who the general public wanted to play the role of Bai Qian (back in 2015). Liu Yi Fei won with over a hundred thousand votes. Clearly, the general public/novel fans saw some type of potential in her, or else they wouldn't have chosen her. 

Both are adaptions of the same novel but it doesn't mean the vibe and atmosphere they're trying to create is the same. There's not too much purpose in trying to compare the two. As a fan of the drama (I actually never read the novel prior to the drama release), I'd like to see the movie too. The story itself is just too good for people to be arguing about who's better and who's not. Let's just enjoy the masterpiece that is Three Lives, Three Worlds, Ten Miles Of Peach Blossom.

This version of the bad guy Qing Cang is more handsome and youngful looking than the tv one. Actor Yan Yi Kuan. I read there is no Li Jing...his son...so guess no worry the age difference in appearance for the sons and father.

But i wonder what will be the reason (or trigger part) for his defiance to the Heaven tribe....u know the part about Mo Yan's disciple being "admired" by him...haha...same as novel? or tv drama?..or totally changed?

Archived