[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Song of Phoenix 思美人

sugarplum892

photo Phoe 51.jpg

Cr avirtualvoyage

Details:

Title: 思美人 / Si Mei Ren
English title: Song of Phoenix
Genre: Ancient, Love
Director: Zhang Xiao Zheng (Attack it, Lightning! 进击吧,闪电The Unique China Queen 独孤皇后)
Episodes: 81
Broadcast Date: April 28, 2017

Cast:

Ma Ke

Zhang Xinyu

Qiao Zhenyu

Yiyang Qianxi

Du Chun

Liu Yun

Lan Xi

Lee Hyunjae

Yin Zhusheng

Fu Yiwei

Wang Yuelun

Synopsis:

During the Warring States Period, Qu Yuan falls in love with a slave girl causing discord in the state of Chu.  Due to this, the lovers elope but are nonetheless drawn into court politics and intrigue.  Through this turmoil, Qu Yuan attempts too raise the country to power but eventually finds despair in the powers that be.

Watch it here with English subs!

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Song of Phoenix 思美人 Viki English Subbed Episodes

Song of Phoenix 思美人 Raw Episodes

The Unique China Queen 独孤皇后 Official Drama Thread

Attack it, Lightning! 进击吧,闪电 Official Drama Thread
Ma Ke 马可 Official Soompi Thread

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks interesting. With the Dumpling Festival (5th day of the 5th Lunar month) coming soon, this is a good time to learn about Qu Yuan. Not much is known about him, except that he's a poet and he jumped into the Mi Luo River when he despaired about the state of his country. The people were afraid that the fish would eat his body, so they threw rice dumplings into the river and hoped to let the fish eat the dumplings instead. That's supposed to be the origin of the Dumpling Festival.

I'm also watching because of Ma Ke. I liked him as Sha Jie Jie in Hua Qian Gu, although he looks a bit wierd here without all the make up. The female lead is pretty. And wow, a unicorn tiger! That's something new!! Anybody else watching this?

• 2 weeks later...

Only me, I'm afraid. I've watched up to Ep. 6. The costumes are pretty - King of Chu State and Qu Yuan have many colourful costumes. There are many side characters, so it's a bit confusing understanding who's who and what their motives are. Basically, it's about the states of Qin and Chu in this story, set during the period of the 7 warring states. If you watched Legend of Mi Yue, then you will find some of the characters familiar. There's a nice blend of comedy, romance, sword fighting, skilful musical instrument playing, dancing, palace concubines infighting, local magistrate fighting for the poor people, drafting men for the war, etc.

There's a young actor called Jackson Yi who plays young Qu Yuan in the drama. Apparently, he's very popular in China. He also sang the ending song.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me how the romance is in this series? From watching the clips, it seems that Qu Yuan initally liked Mo Chou but then they split. Then Qu Yuan married someone else and seems to love that person now. But then, Mo Chou seems to still love Qu Yuan and it looks like the Emperor loves Mo Chou?? ... so who does Qu Yuan really love?? I feel bad for Mo Chou here... 

Archived