How to post Instagram pictures?

Seultoria

Question

When you guys did some forum upgrades earlier this month, it removed my ability to post Instagram pictures. I used to be able able to just click the "Insert Other Media" button, paste the URL of the Instagram picture, and it would pop up. Now, I just get a broken image. Example here.

• Answers 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come back fall, I miss you  #autumn #seoul #hiwinter

A photo posted by Soompi (@soompikpop) on

You can paste the URL directly into the editor and press enter for the picture as an alternative.

There is a possibility the picture cannot be posted on the forums by user restrictions from the Instagram's account holder.

On 11/2/2016 at 6:32 PM, CamelKnight said:

@Hanyeoun care to share your brilliance? I have no idea why the linked images in @bubblechoco's spoiler are taking up so much space. When editing, I don't see anything off. I even removed some spacing but that didn't help either.

I see the same issue. The HTML code is fine and the preview from the editing panel looks normal before saving the post. It seems the spoiler feature interferes with Instagram pictures when they are embedded. Let's see with tech support if they can provide a quick hotfix ASAP.

1 hour ago, CamelKnight said:

@baduy sorry to read you're having these problems. I would like to ask you to send an email detailing your problem and linking this thread to help@soompi.com. They're able to check whether the problem exists somewhere on our servers or if it's a problem related to the forum software. 

We're not only doing this for your benefit, though you're, ofcourse, super important to us! :D There may be other users experiencing the same problem but who haven't told us yet, so we tend to investigate any report given. 

I'm afraid I don't know how to capture any useful information about what's going on in the background on an Ipad, so the best I can do is this screenshot of what happens when I try to access the page (url is in the error message below)  or several other pages in that particular thread on my Ipad (but there are no problems reading other threads, including ones with Instragram embeds, on the same device)

ipadissue.png

That's using Safari. Google Chrome crashes out of the app altogether, and Firefox either does the same or sometimes crashes the entire Ipad. Neither of the other browsers give any error message.

As I said, these pages load (though sometimes after a longish delay) on all the other devices I've tried including my Iphone and I there are no signs elsewhere that my Ipad itself is malfunctioning.

It has been hit and miss with Instagram embedding for a few weeks now. There seems to be something in the method Invision uses for verifying linked material that has problems with the latest Igram embedding code. If I attempt an Igram embed with my browser in developer debug mode I see several retries in the background before the embed succeeds. 

This repeated background reloading behavior also effects loading of Igram material that other users have already embedded in their posts, which can seriously slow the loading of pages (even if most of the Igram embeds are spoilered out). This hits hardest on my Ipad. I have had to stop using my Ipad to follow one particular Igram- heavy thread on the Ipad, because the pages concerned produce an "Error in page: Cannot load" message in Safari, a crash out of the browser in Google Chrome and a complete system crash, needing a power down and device restart in Firefox. These same pages don't crash on my Iphone or on a MacBook, but they do show the same slow loading behavior I also get in Windows.

Since I nearly always use my phone to access Instagram, my "solution" has been to block all requests to Instagram servers at my desktop's firewall. This allows the soompi pages that were taking ages to load to come in normally to my desktop, though with "white holes' where the Instagram embeds should be. I'd do something similar to block Instagram access on my Ipad, too, but I don't know how.

Archived