rubie

December 13, 2016

'MA$TER' Lee Byung Hun, the gray hair was my suggestion

Source: Sports Chosun (ELBH Google-translate)

In an interview in Samcheong-dong, Seoul on 13th, Lee Byung Hun said, "It was my choice to set the gray hair." "When I was preparing for the filming, I tried everything else but I did not like it." .We tested the gray hair and the director approved it.

Lee Byung Hun also said, "For the filming in the Philippines, I changed my hair color on the assumption that Jin Hyun Pil (his character) needs to hide himself. It seems like a good choice because the whole atmosphere changes when I go to the Philippines." 

master_lbh21.gif

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one of the media reviews finally out and luckily, it's not too bad! ^_^

December 13, 2016

[Herald Review] Cult, money and politics in eerily lifelike ‘Master’

After almost two decades of strict censorship under the authoritarian Park Chung-hee regime, Korean cinema began producing heavily political movies following the country’s democratization in the 1980s. 

While some saw film as a device of pure artistic expression, a large chunk of filmmakers viewed the medium as “the most powerful political and social weapon,” according to “Korean Cinema after Liberation,” a study by Hallym University’s professor Park Seung-hyun.

Lee Byung-hun (CJ Entertainment)

Countless films have since satirized government corruption and the collusion of politics and businesses. In recent years, however, filmmakers seem even more intent in doing so. 

The latest political movie “Master” follows in the steps of last year’s “Veteran” and “Inside Men” and this year’s “Asura: The City of Madness” and “Pandora.” These movies share common themes -- forces of unreasoning, unrepentant corruption that sway the country -- and conclude (save for “Asura”) with an exhilarating delivery of justice.

However, “Master,” drawing from Korea’s web of politics, business and cult-like groups, feels even more eerily prescient than its predecessors: It is being released just as the country is hurled into the thick of a political maelstrom involving President Park Geun-hye, daughter of a cult leader, and top Korean conglomerates.

In the film, Chairman Jin, played by the ever-skilled Lee Byung-hun, is the psychotic head of a financial organization that gathers astronomical investments from lower-middle class clients.

Kim Woo-bin (CJ Entertainment)

At massive investor rallies, which resemble cult gatherings, the silver-tongued Jin riles up audiences with the promise of hefty returns. “We’re a family,” he says, as people cheer fanatically. 

Jin, of course, has handsomely bribed high level government officials to peddle influence. With a phone call, Jin is able to thwart all systems and institutions. The country is, quite literally, at his fingertips.

At his tail is investigator Kim Jae-myung (Gang Dong-won), who is driven by an all-consuming thirst to catch the bad guys. Kim himself is an elite policeman who has passed the bar and works directly under the police commissioner. 

Kim finds a way to infiltrate Jin’s empire through Park Jang-gun (Kim Woo-bin), the brain of Jin’s corporation and a genius hacker who manipulates the computer system to generate profits.

Gang Dong-won (CJ Entertainment)

“Through this case, I’m going to cut off the rotten head (of this country),” vows investigator Kim, as he strikes a deal with Park, caught between two giant powers, to spy on Jin. But the chairman is a master at destroying evidence and getting charges dropped. “Even if he’s caught by the police, the prosecutor will draw out the process, and he’ll be released in court,” a fellow investigator says. 

When the heat turns up, Jin stows away to China and fakes his own death. Investigator Kim is demoted for exerting unduly aggressive force in his investigations. Meanwhile, Jin has comfortably settled in the Philippines, devising a new plan to launder his money. Kim is forced to veer from the established police system and go after Jin on his own.

Though the setup hits close to home, the notion of justice and the fundamental problems of the Korean society are not dealt with too seriously. Motive for the protagonist’s dogged pursuit of the villain is not detailed. Jin, meanwhile, is a more believable and, unfortunately, familiar criminal, who will go to any lengths to protect his wealth.

All in all, the film is a slick, entertaining flick. Its characters have style, and their schemes are elaborate. 

“Master,” directed by Jo Eui-seok, opens in theaters on Dec. 21.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com) 

December 13, 2016

(Yonhap Interview) Actor Lee Byung-hun returns as two-faced villain

By Woo Jae-yeon and Cho Jae-young

SEOUL, Dec. 13 (Yonhap) -- South Korean veteran actor Lee Byung-hun comes back to the big screen as a notorious crook in new film "Master."

In the crime thriller, which will open in Korea on Dec. 21, he plays the villain Jin, president of Won Network, which is deeply involved in a massive fraud case. It is his first bad guy character since "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" in 2008.

In an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Tuesday, the actor shared this thoughts on the character and interesting episodes of his latest movies.

"Jin is a very probable character who can be found in real life very easily," he said. But he added that he had a hard time sympathizing with the guy because Jin is simply "too bad."

This undated photo provided by CJ E&M shows South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. (Yonhap)

This undated photo provided by CJ E&M shows South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. (Yonhap)

Lee said he brought up several ideas to make the character more plausible. He even improvised some lines. Anyone who has seen the movie would agree how skillfully he pulled it off.

In a scene where Jin sheds false tears while making a speech in front of tens of thousands of members of a pyramid selling operation, his commanding manner coupled with a low, resonant voice makes such a convincing performance that not only the crowd inside the movie but also moviegoers can easily fall for the tricks he pulls.

During the interview, he shared his candid thoughts about other cast members, Gang Dong-won and Kim Woo-bin, Korea's A-listers.

"Dong-won is really fashionable. He looks so cool even in a sweat suit. In the Philippines, one of our overseas locations, he came to the set in amazing outfits that made me wonder where on earth he got the clothes," he said. "Moreover, he is a real strong guy. He is also very nice. He is really good with handling balls -- any ball for that matter. Since he is very quick in his movements, he showed a great acting in the movie."

The undated photo provided by CJ E&M shows South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. His new movie "Master" will be released on Dec. 21, 2016. (Yonhap)

The undated photo provided by CJ E&M shows South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. His new movie "Master" will be released on Dec. 21, 2016. (Yonhap)

He didn't spare compliments for Kim Woo-bin either, whom he said is "well-mannered and considerate."

For Lee, this year is probably the most memorable one, as he received so many awards for his role in "Inside Men" where he showed flawless performances.

"I was almost in disbelief that so many awards were given to me. This year will surely become one of the most memorable ones," he said.

During one of the award ceremonies, he pulled no punches at the political scandal that has grabbed the nation.

At the Blue Dragon Awards ceremony last month, he said "Seeing that everyone becomes one, holding the candle of despair, I became certain that the candle will turn into that of hope one day." He referred to the weeks-long protests in central Seoul to demand the president take responsibility for and resign over the corruption scandal involving her longtime friend Choi Soon-sil.

His new movie "A Single Rider" is about to open in local cinemas, and he is shooting another historic movie.

"Since the Korean film industry got bigger, there are many excellent scenarios that I don't want to miss. I am also closely watching Hollywood movies but I don't have one at the moment that I want to positively join in."

The undated photo provided by CJ E&M shows South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. In his new movie "Master" he plays a notorious crook. (Yonhap)

The undated photo provided by CJ E&M shows South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. In his new movie "Master" he plays a notorious crook. (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

December 15, 2016

‘Master’ co-stars pose for magazineM

(magazineM)

Entertainment outlet, magazineM shared its recent photoshoot with “Master” co-stars Lee Byung-hun and Kim Woo-bin, Thursday.

The two stars sport a number of different suits and show off their masculine and sophisticated charm. This serves as a preview to the charismatic chemistry that movie-goers can expect from them in the movie. 

In the upcoming film, Lee plays the role of Chairman Jin, whose company is mired in an expansive fraud case. Jin’s right-hand man, played by Kim Woo-bin, is a genius hacker that manages the company‘s secrets.

(magazineM)

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com)

"Master" Kim Woo-bin in the Philippines, YG VS Sidus sports challenge

photo796135.jpg

Actor Kim Woo-bin talked about the time "Master" was being filmed in the Philippines.

In an interview with MBN, he said, "Kang Dong-wonBae Jeong-nam, Jeong Soo-gyo and I played a lot of sports during our free time in the Philippines".

"Two are from Sidus and two are from YG. So we divided into two teams and played tennis, basketball and foot volleyball for dinner".

"Kang Dong-won is a multi-sports athlete. He can do everything. YG usually won but Sidus eventually took the victory. So technically we won but Dong-won and Jeong-nam are better".

Meanwhile, "Master" is a criminal action movie about the biggest scam ever and an intelligent investigation team. The movie comes out on December 21st.

Source

December 16, 2016

Korean thriller 'Master' to premier in LA this month

SEOUL, Dec. 16 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean crime thriller "Master" will premier in Los Angeles on Dec. 30, kick-starting its push into North America, its distributor said Friday.

CJ Entertainment America said the film directed by Cho Ui-seok will then open in U.S. and Canadian cities on Jan. 6, including New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Toronto and Vancouver.

The 143-minute film stars South Korea's top-notch movie actors Lee Byung-hun and Kang Dong-won, and the up-and-rising actor Kim Woo-bin.

The action film is about an intellectual war between the three men, as they go after each other over a major financial scandal.

In the film, Lee plays Chairman Jin, a con man who starts an enormous hoax involving political powers and economic tycoons, to appropriate some 4 trillion won (US$3.4 billion). He and his sly right-hand man Gen. Park, played by Kim, face off against police investigator Kim Jae-myeong of the intelligence crime department, played by Kang.

"Master" premiered in Seoul on Monday amid rave reviews, and will hit local theaters Wednesday.

The poster of the South Korean crime thriller "Master" provided by CJ Entertainment America on Dec. 16, 2016, shows its lead cast Kang Dong-won (Top), Lee Byung-hun (Middle) and Kim Woo-bin. (Yonhap)

The poster of the South Korean crime thriller "Master" provided by CJ Entertainment America on Dec. 16, 2016, shows its lead cast Kang Dong-won (Top), Lee Byung-hun (Middle) and Kim Woo-bin. (Yonhap)

jwc@yna.co.kr

December 19, 2016

Lee Byung-hun is Chairman Jin

(W Magazine)

Fashion magazine W shared their recent photo shoot with actor Lee Byung-hun, Monday. 

The actor reprised his role as Chairman Jin from his latest crime thriller “Master” for the photo shoot. 

Lee exudes an air of charisma with his distressed white hair and a cigarette in hand. He also shows off a cold and calculating aura that resonates with his white hair and emotionless eyes. 

“Master” recently gained headlines after it was announced the Korean thriller would premier in theaters across North America. It will premier in Los Angeles on Dec. 30 and will then open in US and Canadian cities on Jan. 6, including New York, Chicago, Washington, Toronto and Vancouver. 

(W Magazine)

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com)

December 19, 2016

'Master' shows all possible corruption

Star-studded crime thriller set to become big success

By Kim Jae-heun The Korea Times

650cul(0).jpg

Lee Byung-hun, right, and Gang Dong-won, left, in a scene from "Master" / Couresty of CJ E&M

Koreans have long been fans of crime movies as seen by the huge success of the films "Veteran" and "Inside Men" screened last year. "Veteran" became the all-time third highest grossing film in Korean cinema and "Inside Men" became the top grossing R-rated movie of all-time.

Film director Cho Ui-seok's star-studded thriller "Master" is ready to prove another success in the genre as the story deals with all possible corruption scandals that could perhaps be said to be sweeping the country at the moment.

"Master," set to hit theaters Wednesday, depicts the story of the country's biggest fraud case involving intellectual criminals and an investigative service running after them. Veteran actor Lee Byung-hun takes the role of company CEO Jin, bringing his villainous image from Inside Men to continue his role as a confidence man who attempts to swindle people of trillions of won with lawmakers and prosecutors supporting him.

Actor Gang Dong-won plays the investigative team leader Kim Jae-myeong who chases Jin but fails to apprehend him several times due to interference by political figures.

Model-turned-actor Kim Woo-bin appears as the genius Park Jang-gun, who survives by playing the two protagonists off against each other. 

Director Cho explained that he has blended in several real life characters in his movie and there are some hidden codes inserted in between the scenes that people have come across in the news. Nonetheless, the director denied that his story is about the recent scandal involving President Park Geun-hye and her confidant Choi Soon-sil.

"I feel great shame about what is happening in the country at the moment but I wrote the script for this movie two-and-a-half years ago. I never realized such a thing would happen," said Cho during the press conference at CGV Theater in Wangsimni, Seoul, last Monday. "This movie is fictional but I thought it was also to some extent a fantasy story as the movie ends happily. But I guess what is going on nowadays seems more like fiction and fantasy."

"As you may have noticed, I took the name of President Jin Hyun-pil from the initial of Cho Hee-pal. You may have thought of Yoo Byung-un too or even someone else who was in a high position before. I took the motive from various fraud cases that I watched on the news. History repeats itself and there has always been someone who fled overseas and some privileged ones who received special pardons," said Cho.

Lee said there were many real characters he could have referred to but he did not study one particular person. However, he insisted that his character Jin exists somewhere in the world and he tried to put himself in his character's shoes, trying to figure out what was going through his mind and what his ultimate goal could be.

Gang agreed with Cho that his character Kim is more of an unrealistic person these days, although what he does is undoubtedly the right thing.

"My acting focused on my hopes that someone like Kim exists in the world. I hope the audience can get satisfaction through my character and feel some catharsis through the film," said Gang.

jhkim@ktimes.com

December 20, 2016

Star-Driven Thriller MASTER Hits US Screens on January 6
A Thriller of LEE Byung-hun, GANG Dong-won, KIM Woo-bin Trio 

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

YoKvFRzbQaMydGaQxvDi.png

CJ Entertainment’s hotly anticipated action-thriller Master has booked its North American release for January 6th. Starring LEE Byung-hun, GANG Dong-won and KIM Woo-bin, the film is scheduled to be distributed by CJ Entertainment America across the country, in markets such as Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington DC.

The head of a fraudulent organization is being targeted by an investigator who applies pressure on his righthand man by offering him a plea deal. When the CEO begins to feel the heat he decamps to the Philippines, hopscotching with billions of dollars.

LEE Byung-hun’s last leading role in Korea was the hit thriller Inside Men (2015), and he recently appeared in the Hollywood western The Magnificent Seven and in a supporting role in KIM Jee-woon’s The Age of Shadows. GANG Dong-won scored two recent hits with exorcism thriller The Priests (2015) and prison thriller A Violent Prosecutor, and was seen last month in fantasy VANISHING TIME: A BOY WHO RETURNED. Meanwhile, KIM Woo-bin is a hot young star with three consecutive hits under his belt, Friend : The Great Legacy (2013), The Con Artists (2014) and Twenty (2015).

The film is the fourth of director CHO Ui-seok, who previously directed the hit surveillance thriller Cold Eyes, which had a gala screening at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2013. 

Master opens on December 21st in Korea, and as of the morning of the 20th is far ahead on the reservations chart and poised to post one of the biggest openings of the year.

Archived