rubie

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 8, 2016

[USA & Canada]

South Korean Crime Thriller "Master" debuts in N. America on January 6, 2017

Source: CJ Entertainment via Hancinema.net

Asia's leading studio CJ Entertainment, the signature film division of major media and content company CJ E&M, is releasing the action-packed South Korean crime thriller, "Master" in theaters across North America on January 6, 2017. The film will have viewers at the edge of their seats as they follow a high-tech cat and mouse chase to stop one of the biggest corporate frauds in history.

photo793239.jpg

In "Master", a major crimes investigation team led by the charismatic and aggressive detective Kim Jae-myeong - played by Kang Dong-won ("A Violent Prosecutor", "The Priests", and "JEON WOO CHI : The Taoist Wizard") - works to take down One Network Inc. a company involved in a multibillion-dollar heist. The corporation is led by Chairman Jin – a notorious swindler – played by Hollywood star Lee Byung-hun (Magnificent 7, Red 2). The popular Korean TV actor, Kim Woo-bin ("The Con Artists", "Twenty"), plays Park Jang-goon, Jin's right-hand man and an expert computer programmer who's intentions are not as predictable as we may think. The clock is ticking for Detective Kim to finally stop the corrupt corporation once and for all.

"Master" is directed by Jo Eui-seok, who's previous title "Cold Eyes" drew over 5 million admissions in 2013.

More information : cj-entertainment.com/movies/161013-002/master

Clip: movie_s.princess

Movie <Master> Preview Event 
-
It's the movie that will decorate the year 2016!
-
Lee Byung Hun, Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin.
I'm already thrilled with the combination of the three.
-
Opportunity to meet movie MA$TER in advance!
# Please list the MA$TER trailer and why you are expecting it.
-
Event period: From December 9 to December 13.
Event announcement: Wednesday, December 14th.
Preview Schedule: Thursday, December 15 8:00 pm cgv Wang (scheduled) * Schedule changeable.
Number of winners: 10 (20 seats for 2 tickets per person).

16 hours ago, aureolina said:

@rubie Do you know when we will be able to read reviews? I'm really curious what korean press has to say about the movie. I was able only to find couple of tweets with reaction and so far they seem positive in general. 

Can't say when but it could be as early as today, up till the release date next week, The English section of the major Korean media sites will definitely write about this movie. The updates are usually posted in the evening (after 3pm Seoul time) or the night release at 12am. There are at least 4 Korean media portals in English, and they would definitely write about MA$TER, be it good or not-so-good review. Whereas, international movie portals would publish their reviews once they have watched the movie, usually it'll take awhile if they're not based in Korea.

1) YonhapNews

2) The Korea Times

3) The Korea Herald

4) The JoongAng Daily

From the Korean media headlines yesterdays, using Google-translate, it seemed that it's generally a not-so-bad first feedback. However, I'm quite wary after reading Pierce Conran's feedback, it doesn't sound good to him. However, it's still too early to predict anything. My only hope is that the movie doesn't fall into the "overly-hyped" category given the power cast and director. Sometimes the Korean audience will respond better than the "professional" critics, particularly if it touches on the Korean sentiment which I believe the movie will have some impact on.

December 13, 2016

'MA$TER' Lee Byung Hun, "Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin, actors with different charms"

Source: Joynews (selected excerpts with ELBH Google-translate)

1481594169231_1_110353.jpg

In an interview with Lee Byung Hun, the actor revealed the inspiration he felt when he met with Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin in the movie 'Master'. The two actors, whose appearance, personality, and charm are incompatible with each other, filled the film conflict composition with Lee Byung Hun. To Lee, Kim Woo Bin is the 'Righteous Young Man' with such good manners, while Kang Dong Won, is just 'cool to wear anything' further stating that the latter is like a well-dressed good friend.

Spoiler

148159417893_1_110433.jpg

Lee Byung Hun observes that Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin have a thorough self-management ability. He said, "I exercise every day with Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin." In fact, I thought Kang Dong Won was not going to exercise, but he was an all-around sportsman and mentioned that his action scene in 'Master' was well done.

While Kim Woo Bin and Kang Dong Won were charming colleagues, Lee Byung Hun also attracted attention by saying that the two had distinctly different personalities from each other. 

Archived