[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

19 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Alo, i think when Queen called sun-wo her son.. i think that's foreboding.. probably he indeed is..

That is why the other guy said that he isn't supposed to be born and now he is in hwarang

I think you are right.   If he is the queen mother's son, he has no right to the throne; however, he would be perfect as the King's right hand man as his half brother.  Could he be her son with AR's father, because I had the impression that Ah-Ro's father knew Moo-Myung's grandfather.  Could Moo-Myung and Sun-Woo been half brothers and did not know it?   The plot thickens.

1 minute ago, enigmatic_zephy said:
13 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

Her "VERBAL CONSENT"...like you may kiss me?  Really?  

???

You are asking me or telling me?

Sorry got confused since you double quote smeone else's

Asking you...what do you mean by verbal consent and who does that?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carmarie said:

I read several of the comments concerning the kiss yesterday; however, I am glad I waited until I saw the kiss for myself before commenting.  I did not see the kiss as being forced, I looked at the kiss in context with the entire scene. She captured his feelings perfectly with her interpretation of the symbol for Wang and how she saw the situation and her sadness for the king.  AR is this young woman who has gotten under the king's skin, and he does not know exactly how to handle it.  He kissed her.  I did not see her struggling, or hitting him saying, no, no.   The king did not manhandle her or rough her up, he kissed her and the close-up shot shows tears running down his face. Imagine being the king, and he is the king and not the crowned prince, with no power, no one knows who you are. AR's words effected him deeply, the king was emotional and acted on his feelings.  I cannot agree with the "he is a pervert" observation. Nor do I agree with the statement that AR is frantically terrified of him.   Did she seem terrified when he was asleep in her lap or just a young woman who did not know how to handle the situation?  The king is a young man who likes AR.  He kissed her, he didn't try to rape her.  AR is also struggling with her own feelings at the moment for SW.  She might not have accepted his kiss; however, she was not terrified.  A young woman during those times had to be very careful.  I am sure during that time many women were never heard from again because they got involved with the wrong man.  Men during those times, did not feel the same as most men feel about women today.  Many women were looked on as objects.  AR does not know who the king is; therefore, she has to exercise caution, but terrified, I don't see it. 

Remember as viewers, we know that SW is not AR's brother, but AR does not know that he is not her brother.  SW knows he has to protect her and her father for his namesake; therefore, although he has feelings for AR, he has to put their safety above his feelings.  In this case, I hope the king gets the girl. Not because he is the king, but because I think she would be good for him, and without AR knowing it, she understands how the king feels and would help to heal his soul.  

Just because he didn't try to rape her doesn't mean what he did is not wrong. She was absolutely scared in that scene because in addition to being very aggresive with his words (as usual) towards her, he is also being aggresive physically. Walking towards her, cornering her while talking like that is very scary. And she is also not very familiar with him and keeps telling him that his brother will come, his brother will be very angry. We all know she feels safe, secure, protected etc. with Sunwoo. This alone shows that she does not feel safe.

I also like Ji Dwi but let's not try to justify his wrongdoing. 

Anyeong chingudeul !! 05.gif Thanks for all the postings here, really helped me to hold onto to the drama(it started on a slow note) and now I'm loving every bit of it, even with the choppy editing and the surreal tale of PSJ's growing hair ....HAHAHAHAHA....   It is indeed fun to watch these young men who are all over the place with their lives measuring according to caste and creed, come together under one unified Hwarang quarters. I'm going to enjoy their journey from being reckless egocentric boys to distinguished intellectual men. PSJ is bae !! onion-head-girl-love.gif

And, yes !! please give me more of a smitten PSJ or for that matter even a PHS getting all jelly an acting like a kid for attention with

Ah-Ro..MUAHAHAHA.... 

PS:- Do you guys think PSJ's character (MM/SW) is indeed a royalty ? His birth secret gives me the instincts.

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Ahro being woman of low birth is not even a point here.. no one knows who the king is.. more so they know for sure that he is not from one of the noble families. And ahro's characterization till date is far from a woman who takes in rude behavior meekly. So, yes she totally has the option to fight back. Infact, I am surprised that she hasn't.

If as a girl she thinks he is stalking her, I am at loss as to why she doesn't even clearly project her discomfort with the whole situation. Her nochalance is more like meeting a school colleague you are not exactly friends with but they are talking to you so you talk. There is no fear, and zero awkwardness.

Again, maybe you see him as a stranger. I really don't. Meeting the same man thrice in life and death/ serious situation is far from meeting a stranger.

See, I am not saying that he should go about kissing her whenever his hormones act up, but in this particular case a morality lecture is little unwarranted because that is not what happened.

Infact, he knows he is the king. If time were right he can actually demand any girl to be with him and no one would be able to save that girl. But he is taking all the pains to court her the right way. Today was a result of a lot of conflicting emotions. For the first time, he met  someone (whom he dearly loves) who gave him confidence.. and more importantly is actually staunchly supporting him.

Right now, this particular case.. its not violence for me...

Let her push him back tomorrow, then let's see how king reacts. If he ends up acting like a jerk then then I will probably change my opinion

I am done with this conversation because all you are doing is trying to justify his actions. Whether it's happens in real life or in fiction a woman shouldn't have to show discomfort or fight off a man for you to realize that him doing anything towards her without her CONSENT is wrong. 

31 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

Are we forgetting he is the King?  He is an alpha male, raised to be a leader; therefore, what we look at as aggressiveness, we should look at from his view as the King, he  commands, not ask.  However, he has to learn to ask, in order to fit in with the other men..  If he was living in the palace and king in his own right, by now he would have a wife and probably several concubines.  If he was king in his own right, AR would be his even if she did not agree.   

We have several problems here... an incognito king and an adolescent, experiencing love.  When I think back to my teen years, many young guys did not know how to get the girls...nothing's new or should I say, it is a old problem. Give the king a chance.  His experiences with the Hwarang and living among his people will make him a wise and just king.  

Agree, that's why I said in the last paragraph, he might never learn the concept of 'consent' since on top of his isolation/nomad live, the "high rank means everything since you can do whatever you want to low-ranked people". And like you said, Maek Jeong is the king. I must admit...I think I'm looking at the whole drama from 21st century perspective instead of putting myself on the drama's Silla period perspective, that's why I didn't like what Maek Jeong did to Ah-ro. Thank you very much for your post, this will be a reminder for me :)

Oooh, and you're right about Maek Jeong experiencing love, Ah-ro & Moo Myung also experienced love...maybe for the first time in their life. Still though, I'd be scared to bits if someone did like what Maek Jeong did to me, but maybe Maek Jeong will learn about how to express himself/his love properly in the future the episodes. Now that you mention 'teen'...does anybody know the exact age of Hwarang characters plus Ah-ro? I just assume they were in their middle 20s, since they look like it.

16 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I think you are right.   If he is the queen mother's son, he has no right to the throne; however, he would be perfect as the King's right hand man as his half brother.  Could he be her son with AR's father, because I had the impression that Ah-Ro's father knew Moo-Myung's grandfather.  Could Moo-Myung and Sun-Woo been half brothers and did not know it?   The plot thickens.

Asking you...what do you mean by verbal consent and who does that?

Oh.. I didn't write that.. someone else quoted me to explain that she didn't give verbal consent.. sorry don't recall who said that.. i think was @zenya22

But generally speaking, don't think anyone / mostly gives Verbal consent.. if at all it is a non verbal consent (body language).. and the things really happen in a flow .. don't they.. 

19 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

I am done with this conversation because all you are doing is trying to justify his actions so you can swoon over him and a kiss. Whether it's happens in real life or in fiction a woman shouldn't have to show discomfort or fight off a man for you to realize that him doing anything towards her without her CONSENT is wrong. 

I can't help it either... 

You are trying to make a mountain of a molehill and I don't think you are considering the parameters for what they are.

So, that's that.. both of us are looking at very different variables and very different interpretations.. 

DRAMA RECAPS
Hwarang: Episode 6
by LollyPip | January 4, 2017 | 35 Comments

Hwarang6-00424a.jpg

Tempers among the new Hwarang members are running high now that they’re all concentrated in the same place, and fistfights are breaking out at the slightest provocation. It’s not just youthful exuberance, as the infighting among the Hwarang could have serious political consequences, and unfortunately, Sun-woo is right in the middle of it. I hope he starts making some friends soon, because it’s looking like he’s really going to need them.

28_hwarang1.jpg

EPISODE 6 RECAP

read here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/01/hwarang-episode-6/

4 hours ago, shiraru said:

Oooh, and you're right about Maek Jeong experiencing love, Ah-ro & Moo Myung also experienced love...maybe for the first time in their life. Still though, I'd be scared to bits if someone did like what Maek Jeong did to me, but maybe Maek Jeong will learn about how to express himself/his love properly in the future the episodes. Now that you mention 'teen'...does anybody know the exact age of Hwarang characters plus Ah-ro? I just assume they were in their middle 20s, since they look like it.

You are right, they all look to be in their 20's; however, thinking of the times, young men took on responsibilities at an earlier age.  I am trying to watch this drama from a historical perspective.  Ah-ro's character during those times probably would have been no more than 16.  In earlier times, by the time the young men were 20, they would have been married already; especially the high bone because those marriages were to solidify power.  

I would hope that they were younger than 20, because by 20 they should have, at least, cooled their tempers a little.  

4 hours ago, gamshe said:

I also like Ji Dwi but let's not try to justify his wrongdoing. 

Wrong doing by which standards; today's standards or 530-538 AD standards? This story is taking place during the fifth/sixth century.  I think I will look at the scene leading up to the kiss scene and the kiss scene again.

19 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I also hope that MJ will be more careful of his reactions especially towards Ah Ro and realize that he may unintentionally reveal himself if he gets triggered by his emotions. He needs to ask himself if he the king is worth for his subjects to get killed for  when his subjects don't even know who he iss and intentionally or not he is the one in hiding for his own reasons and the people did not put him in that position. 

You are right, his mother already saw them together; therefore, Ah Ro might already be in danger.

5 hours ago, sakura2016 said:
DRAMA RECAPS
Hwarang: Episode 6
by LollyPip | January 4, 2017 | 35 Comments

Tempers among the new Hwarang members are running high now that they’re all concentrated in the same place, and fistfights are breaking out at the slightest provocation. It’s not just youthful exuberance, as the infighting among the Hwarang could have serious political consequences, and unfortunately, Sun-woo is right in the middle of it. I hope he starts making some friends soon, because it’s looking like he’s really going to need them.

EPISODE 6 RECAP

read here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/01/hwarang-episode-6/

Thanks for posting this!

"If I thought Ji-dwi was too forceful with Ah Ro before, I’m definitely not happy with him now. Forced kisses aren’t sexy or romantic, and they’re certainly not going to get a girl to like you when she’s repeatedly shown that not only is she not interested in that way, she actively dislikes you. Just the fact that he’s holding his rescue of her over her head, as if she owes him something, makes me mad at him. And I’m disappointed too, because his reasoning for having feelings for her could be so gentle and sweet (that she relaxes him enough to let him sleep), and yet when he’s awake, Ji-dwi just pushes Ah Ro around like her wishes don’t matter. Especially when he objected to the guy who treated her the exact same way before, so why doesn’t Ji-dwi see that while his intentions are different, he’s pretty much treating Ah Ro the exact same way? I really want to like him, but every time he manhandles Ah Ro, it makes me like Sun-woo for her that much more.

Omg this section of the recap 100% encapsulated my thoughts about the Ah Ro/Ji-dwi dynamic and I'm so glad someone actually articulated it in such a clear manner. 

6 hours ago, dani4lane said:

I am done with this conversation because all you are doing is trying to justify his actions. Whether it's happens in real life or in fiction a woman shouldn't have to show discomfort or fight off a man for you to realize that him doing anything towards her without her CONSENT is wrong. 

Edit 2: just fo clarify, I agree with @dani4lane and the comment above me. Mobile sucks and I cannot tag properly ):

Seriously?! Lmfao and how people actually write long essay of analysis justifying his action and just because she did not struggle or freak out and just freeze there doesn't mean it is okay. 

Imagine yourself in her shoes. A guy aggressively showing his affection and openly flirting with you because he knows he is someone who always gets what he wants and always gets away with it. But you have 0 interest and clearly show him through your actions that you are definitely not impressed or interested. And then one day, he suddenly kissed you without any warning. Would you not be grossed out or freaked out???

Hwarang is a drama and what SMJ did, while swoony and all that in the context of this drama, does not make his action right. He is borderline possessive and stalkerish, when they are not even in a relationship. But of course we know this is a drama and his character is like one of the kdrama tropes we often see. So you guys are delusional if you think this is ok to happen in real life too. It is NOT okay. You will understand once it happens to you. And in real life, even if he is good looking, such intimate action without any forms of consent doesn't make it right or any better. Also, just because Ah-Ro did not struggle does not make it any more right too. She did not struggle to create kdrama effect. She was shocked. In real life, you should slap and kick the guy in the nuts if he ever did that to you unless you are okay with it....

Edit: also for the drama, I am actually rly looking forward to romance between sunwoo/moomyung and ahro once she knows he is not the real brother. Park seo joon and his abs urgh. In the BTS where they were shooting episode 6 private study and they were joking around, they had an NG where Go Ara called Park Seo Joon an OPPA insead of ORABEUNI LOLLLL

4 hours ago, wangnyeo said:

how is the rating ? getting better ? 

I am so much into this drama currently ...

rating has been rising each ep, its holding well against its comp, last ep  was 8.0% which rose from 7.6% i think. 

I'm sorry I couldn't post much and share in your conversation earlier so I couldn't write much!! :sweatingbullets: and now I have many posts to back read which I'm happy to see!! :D thank you all for all your posts!! :wub: 

these are some MVs!! :wub: hope you'll enjoy watching the!! :D

1 hour ago, sakura2016 said:

I'm sorry I couldn't post much and share in your conversation earlier so I couldn't write much!! :sweatingbullets: and now I have many posts to back read which I'm happy to see!! :D thank you all for all your posts!! :wub: 

these are some MVs!! :wub: hope you'll enjoy watching the!! :D

mod edit: no quoting of pics/vid

Hwarang still doesn't have official mv for their osts? I can't find one anywhere :(

9 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Does anyone have any information on the the 5th guy's character? - The pretty one... who was fanning himself and keepign away from the fight..

Quite an interesting character - and we don't know who his dad is? Any guesses what mystery awaits there? - Could the evil minister be his dad?

Alo, i think when Queen called sun-wo her son.. i think that's foreboding.. probably he indeed is..

That is why the other guy said that he isn't supposed to be born and now he is in hwarang

you mean Yeo Wool!! other than being beautiful and mysterious which is what we saw of him we know nothing about him!! hhhhhhhh I was laughing how he was teasing Ban Ryu and Soo Ho making themfight and then kept watching them with his "my hobby is watching fights and fire!!" hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I was "YOU..." :lol: 

yes he is interesting!! he isn't really making any actions but you can see that he's no fool and have his own morals as he was displeased with Ban Ryu looking down on Sun Woo and badmothing his sister just like Maek Jong, Soo Ho and Han Sung, he only didn't get involved in fights!! hhhhh for now I think Soo Ho, Han Sung and Yeo Wool can be the 1st friends of Sun Woo and by his side!! 

I can't really make a guess who his father can be but wouldn't the evil chief minister try to make him the King if he was his son insted of making his plans upon Ban Ryu?!! after all Yeo Wool is the son of the former King's sister and that's a huge advantage for him if he wanted to use him!! 

when she said he's her son I almost had a breakdown "come on woman, it's hard enough for him as it is don't make it worst!!" but you're right it can be forshadowing and it can be that he's a son of the former King but they thought he died?!! ahhhhhhhh I want to grab ajhusshi and ask him who are Sun Woo's real parents and why was he hiding him all these years?!! :confounded:

8 hours ago, papulichan said:

Anyeong chingudeul !! 05.gif Thanks for all the postings here, really helped me to hold onto to the drama(it started on a slow note) and now I'm loving every bit of it, even with the choppy editing and the surreal tale of PSJ's growing hair ....HAHAHAHAHA....   It is indeed fun to watch these young men who are all over the place with their lives measuring according to caste and creed, come together under one unified Hwarang quarters. I'm going to enjoy their journey from being reckless egocentric boys to distinguished intellectual men. PSJ is bae !! onion-head-girl-love.gif

And, yes !! please give me more of a smitten PSJ or for that matter even a PHS getting all jelly an acting like a kid for attention with

Ah-Ro..MUAHAHAHA.... 

PS:- Do you guys think PSJ's character (MM/SW) is indeed a royalty ? His birth secret gives me the instincts.

hi swag fairy chingu!! happy that you joined us here and you're enjoying the drama with us here!! :D 

I believe so!! it looks like the ajhusshi was trying to keep Sun Woo/Moo Myung in the hide away from the capital for some reason and him getting involved in the palace and politics matters are what the ajhusshi fears the most!! can't he just tell me who his parents are?!! I won't tell anyone!! 

29 minutes ago, Random_Fangurl said:

Hwarang still doesn't have official mv for their osts? I can't find one anywhere :(

I didn't find any eaither!! :( but I found these!! :wub: 

PS: chingu please delete the videos you quoted in your post if you can, it's against sommpi rules!! thank you in advance!! :) 

• Guest unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, keepondreaming said:

Thanks for posting this!

Spoiler

"If I thought Ji-dwi was too forceful with Ah Ro before, I’m definitely not happy with him now. Forced kisses aren’t sexy or romantic, and they’re certainly not going to get a girl to like you when she’s repeatedly shown that not only is she not interested in that way, she actively dislikes you. Just the fact that he’s holding his rescue of her over her head, as if she owes him something, makes me mad at him. And I’m disappointed too, because his reasoning for having feelings for her could be so gentle and sweet (that she relaxes him enough to let him sleep), and yet when he’s awake, Ji-dwi just pushes Ah Ro around like her wishes don’t matter. Especially when he objected to the guy who treated her the exact same way before, so why doesn’t Ji-dwi see that while his intentions are different, he’s pretty much treating Ah Ro the exact same way? I really want to like him, but every time he manhandles Ah Ro, it makes me like Sun-woo for her that much more.

Omg this section of the recap 100% encapsulated my thoughts about the Ah Ro/Ji-dwi dynamic and I'm so glad someone actually articulated it in such a clear manner. 

you're most welcome chingu!! :D

me too!! dramabeans recp always voice my thought in a great and clear way that makes me think "oh, yes!! that's how I felt!!" :D

3 hours ago, gabom said:

Edit 2: just fo clarify, I agree with @dani4lane and the comment above me. Mobile sucks and I cannot tag properly ):

Spoiler

Seriously?! Lmfao and how people actually write long essay of analysis justifying his action and just because she did not struggle or freak out and just freeze there doesn't mean it is okay. 

Imagine yourself in her shoes. A guy aggressively showing his affection and openly flirting with you because he knows he is someone who always gets what he wants and always gets away with it. But you have 0 interest and clearly show him through your actions that you are definitely not impressed or interested. And then one day, he suddenly kissed you without any warning. Would you not be grossed out or freaked out???

Hwarang is a drama and what SMJ did, while swoony and all that in the context of this drama, does not make his action right. He is borderline possessive and stalkerish, when they are not even in a relationship. But of course we know this is a drama and his character is like one of the kdrama tropes we often see. So you guys are delusional if you think this is ok to happen in real life too. It is NOT okay. You will understand once it happens to you. And in real life, even if he is good looking, such intimate action without any forms of consent doesn't make it right or any better. Also, just because Ah-Ro did not struggle does not make it any more right too. She did not struggle to create kdrama effect. She was shocked. In real life, you should slap and kick the guy in the nuts if he ever did that to you unless you are okay with it....

Edit: also for the drama, I am actually rly looking forward to romance between sunwoo/moomyung and ahro once she knows he is not the real brother. Park seo joon and his abs urgh. In the BTS where they were shooting episode 6 private study and they were joking around, they had an NG where Go Ara called Park Seo Joon an OPPA insead of ORABEUNI LOLLLL

even when things like tgis happen it ends up used to make that person realise his mistakeand learn from it and I believe Maek Jong will learn from it!! 

me too!! :wub: and when she called him "oppa", he was "OPPA?!!" :lol: 

and I can't believe they gave us such a great clear shot showing his abs and a BTS too!! they are really generous and we deserve it!! :P:blush: 

cr: as tagged

cr: owner

my heart... :love: 

Archived