[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

6 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

hi chingu!! this drama is based on a life of a real figure that is the King Jinheung/Sam Maek Jong and the creation of the Hwarang but the rest of characters are fictional!! and sadly I can't help you much on here you can find much information about him other than the wikepidia!! :sweatingbullets: 

@sakura2016 Thank you for the reply! 
Yep.. not much info there, only the name of the King's wife is Park Sado or Queen Sado. Oh well... Let fiction stay fiction! :phew:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was cautious of this show intitially as period dramas can be either series and intense to watch or start off funny (love in the moonlight) then go pair shaped afterwards.  Not that i dont enjoy them but it takes a bit to handle these type of dramas.

However despite my hesitation and cautious who they will use Kim Taehyung in the show, i was suprised, the personalities are so diverse that it makes you curious, okay the endless fighting so far is starting to get my nerves now.  But will wait and see what happens there.

As for Kim Taehyung's character, sometimes in admist of chaos silence speaks volumes and he does that very nicely.

Everyone is putting on an act at the moment around each other but once everything settles down and they have to start to learn to tolerate each other and work together, thats when the fun will actually start and we get to see how there personalities really work.

I am curious if the rumour is true about the real history of this series and if it will be placed in the show.

Spoiler

The initial Silla Hwarangs from my understanding had females involved but there was a jealous fight and one killed the other and the last one standing got killed for her troubles.  From that point on Hwarang had male rulers.  However I am not sure how much of that is true of if the context was right......hmm be interesting to see where this drama leads.

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I guess.. if it is so wrong.. let ah ro slap him hard first.. then we will see.. 

Because call it actresses fault or whatever, i haven't seen her push back fervently... and even she has an inkling as to what is going on..

No matter how romantic you thought the unwanted kiss that SMJ gave to Ahro was, It is never ok under any circumstance or in any time period for a man to force a kiss on a woman when she has not given her VERBAL CONSENT . Considering that Ahro is a woman of a lowly status it is not like she has the option of fighting back and even if she did report it to the authorities in charge it's more than likely no one would believe her or they would say she was "asking for it". SMJ is basically a stranger to Ahro, they are not friends and even if they were it still wouldn't make it right. How would you feel if some man gave you an unwanted kiss because he was emotional or is infatuated with you? 

2 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Hmm.. nope marking her arm with ink is not the thing..

He has been around her, holding her, being near her..  ( not in a pervasive way), looking for ways to meet her, initiate conversations and what not..

They are the classic signs of how people behave when they crush over someone..

So, unless Ah Ro puts her foot down ( because from the preview.. again it seems she just wants him to accept kiss was a mistake.. that  is it. doesn't look like she is angry or any weirdness at all)...or if king in his usual composed self goes about manhandling her , i don't think there is much up for debate right now..

It is never ok for anyone to fault anyone no matter what the circumstances for their actions, as in the girl inadvertently touching a very sore spot in his heart, the king reacted, but it was his reaction, his emotion, his action not anyone else. I think the king who is a very smart one and is still learning will never say it is your fault I kissed you because you made me angry. If he did then he would be a poor excuse of a king and the way I see it, the king is a smart one who I hope develops into a wise one who will take responsibility for his actions. 

28 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

Considering that Ahro is a woman of a lowly status it is not like she has the option of fighting back and even if she did report it to the authorities in charge it's more than likely no one would believe her or they would say she was "asking for it"

"she was asking for it" is exactly the message that has been perpetuated through the centuries and it has been a long and ardous fight especially for women to change and raise consciousness to that of responsibility but sadly humanity still has a long way to go. 

Hello, everyone. I have been watching the drama since the start and enjoying it, so wanted to join the conversation here. ^^ (btw happy new year!)

I am rooting for Sunwoo (do we call him this or his real name?) and Ahro couple. I was definitely attracted to their chemistry since the first interaction. :wub: Didn't expect them to hide the truth from Ahro about her real brother. I think it is an okay way to create angst and tension between them but I hope Ahro can find out the truth soon, I think it wouldn't be really good if they keep it for like half of the drama. I hope she can discover it herself without Sunwoo knowing, and she can tease him before letting him know that she knows. I would love to see Sunwoo getting frustrated because of her ahahha.

I really really love Sunwoo, he is just a really kind, brave, helpful person and he deserves everything good. :tears: And that mystery about his real identity is really interesting. I am thinking something like, maybe he is the son of the queen? Like how she said ''think of him as my son.'' Lmao it would be perfect if it was actually true.

I also like Ji Dwi and I understand his feelings for Ahro. She is the only one he can get comfort from and she is the only one protecting the king. But that kiss at the end was a terrible decision for various reasons and I hope everyone thinks the same. Doing something that intimate without someone's consent is an awful thing. I hope Ahro will make it clear that she didn't like it and Ji Dwi will apologize. 

I really like the tone of the drama, how they blend the funny scenes with emotional ones. I also like all the characters, even Ban Ryu lol. I really think he will become a better person, and I am expecting his love story with Suho's sister too. Ah such angst. I also look forward to the possible bromance between Suho and Ban Ryu as well as Sunwoo and Ji Dwi. I really hope this whole love triangle thing won't effect it so much. :tears:

20 hours ago, Random_Fangurl said:

Damn it, y'all siding with the king, here I am drooling over PSJ alone :wub:

I'm drooling over a few chingu embarrassed1-onion-head-emoticon.gifbut I have to admit I've always liked PHS since Nine Times Time Travel, he's always been one of the better idol actors, but in this drama he has matured from a good looking guy into a handsome, hot man. naughty.png

Okay, just watched the latest episodes, and to be honest, I care about the bromance and the palace politics more than the original love line now, hahahahaa... XD I don't know, like the title : "poet of youth", I just like seeing the boys slowly build their camaraderie, like Suho and Banryu. From the latest episode, it seems Suho didn't hate Banryu that much, but Banryu did hate Suho very much, for whatever reason. After their latest fight, I think Banryu toned the hate down a little bit, because it has been pointed out that no "bones" in Hwarang. Also, I still don't understand some things about Banryu, like his hate towards the peasants or "half-breed", why did he hate Sunwoo (who is technically half-breed, as far as he know) so much, but not Jidwi (Maek Jong), whose background were much blurrier than Sunwoo? I assume the general and the Hwarangs only know that Jidwi is someone from "the West", is being from "the West" a symbol of a rich family or something, thus being regarded much higher than "xxx-bone"? For all they know, Jidwi can be a no-name or a peasant, the difference is, he's from "the West".

I still like the romance part, but I just feel many characters's background stories were being pushed aside for the love line. The prime example is Hansung and Yeo Wool, mostly Yeo Wool though. This boy...we only know so little of him. Six episodes in and he only appeared like what, 5-10 minutes tops? All we know of him is that he's a high-ranked pretty boy who doesn't know who his father is; might excels in manipulating people (look at how easy he provoked the fight between Banryu and Suho after they woke up and smoothly went to the background and watch when another fight broke out), and I assume...he likes men, or he's just that good of an actor to get whatever reaction he wants. I don't know, why do I feel like he's just another stock character in the show? Like, some sort of 'the-magical-person-who-knows-everything-yet-can-never-be-found-anywhere'? I want to know more about him too! Also, am I the only one who thinks Yeo Wool and Sam Maek Jong look alike? Hahaha...I have to look twice when they are together in some scenes, the long hair made them really pretty and soooo much alike in my eyes! XD

About the romance, I think Ah-ro will be with Moo Myung in the end, ahahaa...well, usually K-Drama pairing has been set from the start, so I just assume Ah-ro will end up with Moo Myung. Although, I'm okay too if Ah-ro ended up with Maek Jong as long as the story is believable, but so far, I sided with Moo Myung more, mainly because his flustered reaction around Ah-ro is just soooo cute! And he seems to like Ah-ro in the purest way, aaah... :wub: Ah-ro is also very cute with Moo Myung and she was like "no, no, no, I shouldn't feel like this towards my brother, no-no!!", hahahaa...watching them getting flustered with each other are just soooo adorable!! Although...I did question why Master Ahn-ji didn't tell Ah-ro about Moo Myung not being her brother in the first place, so far it just complicate things between the family. But maybe...Master Ahn-ji has bigger plan in his mind? We'll see, I guess...also, did anyone feel icky when Moo Myung's mentor came to see Master Ahn-ji to tell that Moo Myung shouldn't be in the spotlight, the mentor just stormed off without explaining anything more? Like, I mean...duuuuude~ if I were Master Ahn-ji, I'd demand more explanation. YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME HANGING LIKE THAT, WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS, GEEZ!? Not gonna lie though, I'm excited for Moo Myung's real identity reveal.

As for Maek Jeong, I agree with some of the comments here, Ah-ro doesn't seem to like him yet, since she always referred him as,"Mr. Pervert", and yeah...if I were Ah-ro, I wouldn't like him too since he's aggressive and pushy (? I don't know the exact word for this), he always insisted that they 'sleep together' in Okta and lowkey threatened Ah-ro with it. The kiss at the end did caught me off guard, like, dude...your jealousy is waaaay out of control, that's not the way to a girl's heart!! It will be nicer if he just kabe-don-ing her or something, and if Moo Myung caught them together, Maek Jeong can use that to provoke him like : "Yeah I did things with her, so what?" *cue another fight* XD

I would never like what Maek Jeong did to Ah-ro, but if I were to rationalize his act, well...it's Silla period, I'm not familiar with their norm, but I think as an aggressive person and isolated from the world, it's possible that Maek Jeong never learned the concept of consent, especially to a girl. Heck, I don't even know if 'consent' exist in Hwarang universe since it has been stressed out numerous times that "high rank = you can do whatever you want to everyone belows you", and because of this, he developed possessive-ness towards anything that are considered his. I re-watched the kiss, and it seems he was provoked because Ah-ro keep calling for her brother. It's her brother!! Of course she'd call for him if Maek Jeong did anything strange to her!! Safe to say, if Maek Jeong and Ah-ro got together, he didn't want Ah-ro to look at any men except him. That would be a disaster relationship in my book.

Aaaah...I can't wait for next week, I want to see more bromance and palace politics too! :)

Just finished watching episode 5 and 6. My second lead syndrome is getting stronger than ever!!!

If Ah Ro doesn't want you, come to me! I will make you sleep in a second! :heart:

Uri lost puppy king.. hope you will get your happy ending :confounded:

5 hours ago, Anthy Avila said:

I was honestly shocked to realize that Ahro's friend was Suho's sister. I had to rewatch the earlier scenes to confirm. We know Suho is very much a highborn gentleman and Ahro gets flack from True Bones and commoners alike for being a "half-breed," so the fact that this young lady is such close friends with Ahro can't be simply taken for granted.

I was doubly amused in retrospect with how she swooned over Ahro's brother--I was like, "haven't you looked at your own brother?" Then I was saddened--doesn't her envy imply that she and Suho don't have a very close relationship? He didn't recognize Ahro, who actually visits Sooyeon at home. It makes me think that Suho is too busy playing with women to pay much attention to his sister!

We don't know much about her, but from what can be deduced, I'm already quite attached to her. 1) She seems to be down-to-earth despite her status--given how she's friends with Ahro. In that way, she's ahead of the times. 2) She's also ahead of the times in that she was cavalier about Ahro spending the night in that room with Sammaekjong. No Victorian waif, this one! 3) She doesn't seem to be a political dummy for her family's faction, if her getting a loveline with Banryu is any indication. 4) She's cute and bright, and makes an interesting "opposites attract" match for Banryu.

I'm so looking forward to her loveline with Banryu: because the guy needs a hug, because it's gonna mess with the Suho-Banryu rivalry in the best way, and because it may just be the catalyst for her to get her own oraboni dote on her as she deserves. I'm also interested in Banryu and his situation and Sooyeon may be the key in getting him to open up and aligning with his Hwarang brothers rather than become a tool to use against the King. I'm kinda hoping he eats humble pie and goes to Ahro for help with Sooyeon (imagining Ahro as their messenger, LOL) and to Sunwoo for help with getting Suho to accept their love. I just want all the Hwarang boys to have their connections with each other, rather than limit it to Sunwoo-Jidwi and Suho-Banryu.

i also like sooyeon, she does feel quite unconventional for her time as well. i like that while she is sweet and bright she doesnt come off as the shy and passive type which wouldnt have worked with her being paired with ban ryu.  there is also the difference in how they see people under their rank, while sooyeon is very down to earth and doesnt seem to care, ban ryu is the total opposite, he holds status and power in high regard. no doubt she will influence the way he see's things and completley turn his world upside down.

ban ryu x sooyeon fit in the Romeo and Juliet category, opposing families and long standing rivalry plus ban ryu's family is quite scary tbh and he himself most likely will try to suppress his emotions. i do feel bad for him though, looks like he grew up in an abusive home and was deprived of affection.

i think suho and sooyeon do share a good relationship, the fact that she can grab his butt like that in the preview implies that, although she got the wrong person this time. i cant believe ban ryu and sooyeons  first meeting is like that lol. im sure she know her bro is handsome and must be proud of him but its her brother, so she wont be going crazy over him, they have the typical sibling relationship. 

@blademan true, he has a lot of pride and ego, all the more fun to watch once he starts to unravel 

im sure all the dynamics between the characters will be addressed, we already have a hostile one with sun woo and ban ryu. we have 20 eps, and so far, they have made all the character feel distinct and easy to connect with.

1483452251333281_99_20170103230503.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-01-03%2Bat%2B12.02.35%2BPM.png

Naver - Xports News: 'Hwarang', Park Hyung Shik forcibly kisses Go Ara... will Park Seo Joon explode? 

1. [+3,426, -139] Park Hyung Shik, what the? My heart's fluttering. His acting is amazing

2. [+2,972, -129] As expected, Hwarang's the drama that turned me into a Park Hyung Shik fan. The kiss ㄷㄷ

3. [+2,236, -126] Talk about a random kiss but it gave me butterflies..

4. [+1,884, -104] He looked damn handsome although the kiss is so random!!!

5. [+1,699, -92] Wow Park Hyung Shik is fine ㅜㅜ

6. [+614, -13] The Hwarangs are unified by visuals

7. [+579, -8] Why did it feel like the episode lasted only for 10 minutes?

8. [+600, -22] Park Seo Joon's so cool when he smiles ㅠㅠ♡♡

9. [+537, -22] Indeed the drama that made me join Park Hyung Shik's fandom. Woah how do I wait until next week?

10. [+490, -9] I'm so jealous of Aro, she's loved by Seon Woo and Sam Maek Jong ㅠㅠ  And the drama just keeps getting better^^ Next week, hurry up ~~~

20170103230220880wtlu.jpg

Daum - Sports Seoul: 'Hwarang', Park Hyung Shik kisses Go Ara "Why are you making me waver?"

1. [+329, -19] Park Hyung Shik's so good at acting wow

2. [+293, -19] Didn't expect much out of this drama but it's so much fun

3. [+281, -18] I have a serious case of second lead syndrome ~~ ♡♡

4. [+175, -13] Go Ara is funny and pretty. Park Hyung Shik is really handsome. They fit their characters so well ㅎㅎ

5. [+158, -10] Sam Maek Jong is my type. I can't wait for next week

6. [+137, -12] Kyaa!! I didn't see the kiss scene coming. How I am supposed to wait a whole week??

7. [+122, -7] I love it when Park Seo Joon smiles, he's cute ㅎ Love those NGs in the end ㅎ

1483449093875886_99_20170103221303.jpg

Naver - Xports News: 'Hwarang', Park Seo Joon, Park Hyung Shik and Choi Minho, confrontation with Do Ji Han on the first day 

1. [+133, -9] Park Hyung Shik bursts with charms ㅠㅡㅠ

2. [+114, -6] I don't like Ban Ryu but he will change when he falls in love with Soo Ho's sister

3. [+93, -7] Jo Yoon Woo and Park Hyung Shik are the prettiest ㅋㄱㄱㄱㄱㅋ

4. [+80, -9] Gorgeous face, honey voice, great acting. Sam Maek Jong is everything.. I'm cheering for you!!!

5. [+40, -5] I'm now a fan of Park Hyung Shik ㅜㅜㅜ He suits hanbok and long hair ㅜㅠ

cr http://kkul-jaem.blogspot.sg/

I have to agree. The kiss is so random. I love Sam Maek Jong but I really hope they don't focus too much on his love line with Aro. I want to see bromance and how the King get his throne back. 

22 hours ago, zagigirl said:

I may be the only one but I didn't like what Maek Jong did!! I can understand he feels lost and insecure and he like Ah Ro but forcing a kiss on her like that wasn't something I'd agree or hoped from him!! she was frantacly terrified of him and he made it worst by by kissing her that way!! 

I read several of the comments concerning the kiss yesterday; however, I am glad I waited until I saw the kiss for myself before commenting.  I did not see the kiss as being forced, I looked at the kiss in context with the entire scene. She captured his feelings perfectly with her interpretation of the symbol for Wang and how she saw the situation and her sadness for the king.  AR is this young woman who has gotten under the king's skin, and he does not know exactly how to handle it.  He kissed her.  I did not see her struggling, or hitting him saying, no, no.   The king did not manhandle her or rough her up, he kissed her and the close-up shot shows tears running down his face. Imagine being the king, and he is the king and not the crowned prince, with no power, no one knows who you are. AR's words effected him deeply, the king was emotional and acted on his feelings.  I cannot agree with the "he is a pervert" observation. Nor do I agree with the statement that AR is frantically terrified of him.   Did she seem terrified when he was asleep in her lap or just a young woman who did not know how to handle the situation?  The king is a young man who likes AR.  He kissed her, he didn't try to rape her.  AR is also struggling with her own feelings at the moment for SW.  She might not have accepted his kiss; however, she was not terrified.  A young woman during those times had to be very careful.  I am sure during that time many women were never heard from again because they got involved with the wrong man.  Men during those times, did not feel the same as most men feel about women today.  Many women were looked on as objects.  AR does not know who the king is; therefore, she has to exercise caution, but terrified, I don't see it. 

Remember as viewers, we know that SW is not AR's brother, but AR does not know that he is not her brother.  SW knows he has to protect her and her father for his namesake; therefore, although he has feelings for AR, he has to put their safety above his feelings.  In this case, I hope the king gets the girl. Not because he is the king, but because I think she would be good for him, and without AR knowing it, she understands how the king feels and would help to heal his soul.  

8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I guess.. if it is so wrong.. let ah ro slap him hard first.. then we will see.. 

Because call it actresses fault or whatever, i haven't seen her push back fervently... and even she has an inkling as to what is going on..

I agree with you. I think many of us are overthinking the kiss.  

6 hours ago, dani4lane said:

No matter how romantic you thought the unwanted kiss that SMJ gave to Ahro was, It is never ok under any circumstance or in any time period for a man to force a kiss on a woman when she has not given her VERBAL CONSENT . Considering that Ahro is a woman of a lowly status it is not like she has the option of fighting back and even if she did report it to the authorities in charge it's more than likely no one would believe her or they would say she was "asking for it". SMJ is basically a stranger to Ahro, they are not friends and even if they were it still wouldn't make it right. How would you feel if some man gave you an unwanted kiss because he was emotional or is infatuated with you? 

Ahro being woman of low birth is not even a point here.. no one knows who the king is.. more so they know for sure that he is not from one of the noble families. And ahro's characterization till date is far from a woman who takes in rude behavior meekly. So, yes she totally has the option to fight back. Infact, I am surprised that she hasn't.

If as a girl she thinks he is stalking her, I am at loss as to why she doesn't even clearly project her discomfort with the whole situation. Her nochalance is more like meeting a school colleague you are not exactly friends with but they are talking to you so you talk. There is no fear, and zero awkwardness.

Again, maybe you see him as a stranger. I really don't. Meeting the same man thrice in life and death/ serious situation is far from meeting a stranger.

See, I am not saying that he should go about kissing her whenever his hormones act up, but in this particular case a morality lecture is little unwarranted because that is not what happened.

Infact, he knows he is the king. If time were right he can actually demand any girl to be with him and no one would be able to save that girl. But he is taking all the pains to court her the right way. Today was a result of a lot of conflicting emotions. For the first time, he met  someone (whom he dearly loves) who gave him confidence.. and more importantly is actually staunchly supporting him.

Right now, this particular case.. its not violence for me...

Let her push him back tomorrow, then let's see how king reacts. If he ends up acting like a jerk then then I will probably change my opinion

6 hours ago, zenya22 said:

It is never ok for anyone to fault anyone no matter what the circumstances for their actions, as in the girl inadvertently touching a very sore spot in his heart, the king reacted, but it was his reaction, his emotion, his action not anyone else. I think the king who is a very smart one and is still learning will never say it is your fault I kissed you because you made me angry. If he did then he would be a poor excuse of a king and the way I see it, the king is a smart one who I hope develops into a wise one who will take responsibility for his actions. 

Who si saying it is anybody's fault.

My point is.. i don't see it as violent from argument perspective.

From story perspective, yes you are right .. when ah ro does push him back and expresses her discomfort with the whole thing.. the King must owe up to his actions .

Does anyone have any information on the the 5th guy's character? - The pretty one... who was fanning himself and keepign away from the fight..

Quite an interesting character - and we don't know who his dad is? Any guesses what mystery awaits there? - Could the evil minister be his dad?

Alo, i think when Queen called sun-wo her son.. i think that's foreboding.. probably he indeed is..

That is why the other guy said that he isn't supposed to be born and now he is in hwarang

3 hours ago, shiraru said:

As for Maek Jeong, I agree with some of the comments here, Ah-ro doesn't seem to like him yet, since she always referred him as,"Mr. Pervert", and yeah...if I were Ah-ro, I wouldn't like him too since he's aggressive and pushy (? I don't know the exact word for this), he always insisted that they 'sleep together' in Okta and lowkey threatened Ah-ro with it. The kiss at the end did caught me off guard, like, dude...your jealousy is waaaay out of control, that's not the way to a girl's heart!! It will be nicer if he just kabe-don-ing her or something, and if Moo Myung caught them together, Maek Jeong can use that to provoke him like : "Yeah I did things with her, so what?" *cue another fight* XD

Are we forgetting he is the King?  He is an alpha male, raised to be a leader; therefore, what we look at as aggressiveness, we should look at from his view as the King, he  commands, not ask.  However, he has to learn to ask, in order to fit in with the other men..  If he was living in the palace and king in his own right, by now he would have a wife and probably several concubines.  If he was king in his own right, AR would be his even if she did not agree.   

We have several problems here... an incognito king and an adolescent, experiencing love.  When I think back to my teen years, many young guys did not know how to get the girls...nothing's new or should I say, it is a old problem. Give the king a chance.  His experiences with the Hwarang and living among his people will make him a wise and just king.  

25 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Her "VERBAL CONSENT"...like you may kiss me?  Really?  

Archived