[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

7 hours ago, crazyyo said:

To all the BanSoo shippers, it is implied in the finale that Ban Ryu and Soo Yeon eventually got married.

Towards the end of ep 20, you will notice that Ban Ryu’s headpiece has changed. Instead of wearing a ponytail, he’s sporting a topknot, which, at the time, is worn only by men who are of nobility/authority or married. Since Ban Ryu was stripped from his privileges after his fathers’ wrongdoings, it couldn’t be that he’s wearing it because he’s got a high status. Sure, he could have been given a designation by King Jin Heung, but even Sun Woo, the King’s right hand, has his (hideous) hair down! I think it’s safe to assume that he has a top knot as he’s a married man!

How I wish we could get some form of confirmation on this, though. The BanSoo scenes just weren’t ever enough! Writernim probably had no idea that the audience will love them more than the dragging love triangle of Sun Woo, Sam Maek Jong, and Ahro. Pffff.

***Props to my friend, who noticed this teeny detail first. Jjang observation skills!

SAW THIS ON DRAMABEANS! MADE MY DAY! *SOBS*

:scream: Yesssssssss! This is such a happy moment for me :heart:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally I finished the drama!! I love it although it's not as good as it was expected. The feel is different in the last episode. But I really feel that all emotions are out. Like Sun Woo really shows his character, a tough guy! SMJ is a king with lots of thing on his minds. Too bad that the King is broken heart and there is no woman beside him. Ban Ryu also looks good. SuHo is not really seen in last part, right? I'll miss this drama for sure!!

Final Review: “Hwarang”

Hwarang-poster

After twenty episodes, the flower boy warriors “Hwarang” must bid us adieu. Park Seo Joon, Kim Taehyung (BTS’s V), and Minho have redefined the pretty sageuk male in this cute, fun, drama that draws its inspiration from the historical Silla hwarang. The show followed the journey of these young men from different social classes who come together to create a new Silla and find love and friendship along the way.

Warning: contains spoilers

Hordes of flower boys

No joke. This show has so many beautiful faces that it is almost painful. Park Seo Joon, Park Hyung Sik, V, and Minho are just a few of the dazzling visuals that graced the screen. If nothing else, a drama fan could simply indulge in the pretty after a long day and be perfectly content. With manes of glory adorning their beautiful faces, the gents of “Hwarang” dance, fight, and bromance their way through the show’s run.

Some of the flower boys are more than just pretty faces, though. Park Hyung Sik proves again that he is a strong actor. He first caught my attention in “Nine: 9 Times Time Travel” and hasn’t let me down in anything yet. BTS’s V made an adorable, yet tragic, acting debut. Minho’s character was vapid through most of the drama, but the show finally let the SHINee visual show his real acting chops near the end. Park Seo Joon has proven himself as a leading man already and his strong presence was felt again here. And Do Ji Han was a standout amongst these beautiful young men with his tortured Ban Ryu.

The hwarangs’ place in history

hwarang_ep10_2017-01-24-21h18m21s077

This drama is based on real hwarang, young, handsome noblemen who were skilled in the fine and martial arts and who were tasked with protecting Silla. The re-imagining of how these young men came to be combined with their coming-of-age is the heart of the story. Trapped by circumstance and parental expectation, these hwarang have to learn not only to become hwarang, but how to decide their own paths even if they may diverge from the expectations of others. Tapping into an element of Silla’s history gives this story a grounding in reality.

Bromance

hwarang_ep8_2017-01-16-19h46m00s905

A horde of flower boys absolutely necessitates bromance. V’s character, Han Sung, is often the glue between these displaced young men with his bright disposition and easy smile. Soo Ho (Minho) and Ban Ryu (Do Ji Han) are frenemies who push each other to become better with a few hugs and sword fights to seal their relationship. But the real bromance lies between Ji Dwi/King Jinheung (Park Hyung Sik) and Seon Woo (Park Seo Joon). These young men find strength in each other as they search for ways to change a floundering Silla into a blossoming kingdom that takes care of its own. Friendship is one of the primary forces that keeps the engine of “Hwarang” running.

The ladies
Spoiler

hwarang_ep20_00059hwarang_ep7_2017-01-11-20h24m32s508

This is where the drama falls short. It’s not that the actresses aren’t good. It’s that the characters aren’t as strong as they should be. Either the characters are one dimensional, like Queen Ji So (Kim Ji Soo) or Princess Sook Myung (Seo Ye Ji), or they are dependent on men for personal growth like Aro (Go Ara). Aro is especially disappointing because she had the potential to become a strong character with her run as a wonhwa and hwarang healer, but she consistently fell short. Her purpose in the drama was to support Seon Woo and encourage Ji Dwi while achieving little personal development. Queen Ji So and her daughter Sook Myung were power hungry women whose take on love was possessive, just like their outlook on ruling and power. Anger and entitlement eddied through them, but little else.

The story
Spoiler

hwarang_ep8_2017-01-16-20h23m29s244hwarang_ep7_2017-01-11-20h21m10s783

Another weak point of the drama. This story had the potential to flesh out and become something great. But like many fusion sageuks, it was more fusion than sageuk. The historical aspect became more of an adornment of the story than the meat and potatoes. The lack of focus on a clear historical basis weakened the villains and the general movement of characters. Each heavy step of the villains was a forced attempt to push the plot forward rather than an integrated part of the story. Minister Young Shil, despite being played by talented veteran Kim Chang Wan, was a bland villain. Luckily the bromance, the pretty, and the romance kept “Hwarang” engaging.

The romance

Spoiler

As Seon Woo and Aro grow up through the events of the story, so does their love. At first they fuss and turn away from each other easily as they find their footing with one another. As events grow more serious, these two place their trust fully in one another and become a couple to admire. Ji Dwi, while a second lead, also grows because of love. Aro is a solid friend to him, encouraging him and keeping his secrets. His love for her and desire to protect her actually make him a better man, especially when he learns to let her go.

Conclusion
Spoiler

hwarang_ep14_00027

Fun. Pretty. Easy to watch. This isn’t a drama that will make you think too hard. It will make you squee with the flowery goodness that abounds in almost every scene. When the going gets rough, it doesn’t get too rough because, in the end, “Hwarang” is an up-lifghting story about growing up and forging your own path in life.

What did you think of “Hwarang,” Soompiers? Let us know in the comments below!

Start watching “Hwarang”:

read here:  https://www.soompi.com/2017/02/24/final-review-hwarang/

sharing this article from 2 months back. i just saw this article last night:

https://www.soompi.com/2016/12/16/go-ara-reveals-thoughts-female-main-cast-hwarang/

highlight of the article for me:

"Go Ara also complimented her co-star Park Seo Joon, and revealed, “[He] is very considerate. There are many scenes where he has to rescue me, and he would always be take care of me first.”

She added, “Park Hyung Sik and I got to know each other well while acting, so our chemistry was great.”"

i find it pretty ironic that she also felt she had great chemistry with PHS. perhaps she also shipped Aro with SMJ. LOL...

7 hours ago, jjoy84 said:

sharing this article from 2 months back. i just saw this article last night:

https://www.soompi.com/2016/12/16/go-ara-reveals-thoughts-female-main-cast-hwarang/

highlight of the article for me:

"Go Ara also complimented her co-star Park Seo Joon, and revealed, “[He] is very considerate. There are many scenes where he has to rescue me, and he would always be take care of me first.”

She added, “Park Hyung Sik and I got to know each other well while acting, so our chemistry was great.”"

i find it pretty ironic that she also felt she had great chemistry with PHS. perhaps she also shipped Aro with SMJ. LOL...

hhhhhhhhhhh

thank you so much for sharing!! :wub:

Spoiler

cr: owner

15 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

@sakura2016 tnx chingu for so many beautiful pics ..its so hard to let go right? 

you're most welcome chingu!! :wub:

it's really hard!! I was reawatching the dramas MVs and got emotional watching them!! :tears:

I puted the rest under spoiler tag in case they are a repost by me which I believe they are!! :tongue:

Spoiler

Archived