[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

15 minutes ago, jjoy84 said:

just had a crazy idea...would it be possible for someone of aro's origin to be a royal concubine? i'm just thinking, in the previous stills, the one where she's all dressed up and had the pretty earrings, she looks so sad. would it be too far fetched an idea to think that perhaps the queen ordered her to be a concubine. this way, she'll be able to control both sw and smj. she knows that sw will do whatever it takes to protect ah ro and the same goes with smj. although, i don't think smj will agree to this since he loves her and would want her to be happy. i know it sounds really crazy, but just couldn't help wondering why she's so sad and dressed up like that.

no she told her she's going to be a Wonha like the Princess!! 

38 minutes ago, 0ly40 said:

OST part 10: Don't leave me alone

thank you so much for sharing!! I love it!! :wub: 

I'm so waiting for this!! :w00t::wub: 

cr: koreanchanel

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gwkzz Thank you!

:)Your kind words warmed my heart. No, I am not a writer just a romantic fool who loves drama because just like a good book it allows me to travel and experience places that I can only dream about.  It provides characters that allow my romantic spirit to soar and brings out feelings and thoughts that I enjoy sharing here on Soompi.  Not to long ago I realized it's not just what we write or post here that makes the journey so special.  It's what we receive from those around us.  It allows us to grow and see beyond ourselves...

How amazing is that...:wub::w00t:

On 2/12/2017 at 11:08 AM, mundaliv said:

Are the costumes of sageuk different for every era? Hwarang will be the first sageuk that I watch until the end. So I don't know about the clothes  of sageuk. Hwarang is Silla or 3 kingdom era, before Goryeo? Are the clothes different with Goryeo era?

I do not know much about the costumes of different eras; however, I believe not only did the fashions vary from era to era, but kingdom to kingdom. I am sure that since, women made their own clothes, unless they were royalty or wealthy, they experimented with different styles of embroidery, collars, and accessories.   If the queen wore something different, then the other court ladies and wealthy women were sure to follow, just as now, only now we tend to follow, music artists and movie stars.

26 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I do not know much about the costumes of different eras; however, I believe not only did the fashions vary from era to era, but kingdom to kingdom. I am sure that since, women made their own clothes, unless they were royalty or wealthy, they experimented with different styles of embroidery, collars, and accessories.  I am sure if the queen wore something different, then the other court ladies and wealthy women were sure to follow, just as now, only now we tend to follow, music artists and movie stars.

@mundaliv hehe, I was confused about the eras too because I know there's different dynasty....

so Hwarang takes place in the Silla, which is during the Three Kingdoms, Silla, Baekje, and Goguryeo. We already saw Baekje and the mention of Goguryeo in the drama. After this, the three become unified and it transitions into the Goryeo Dynasty. After the Goryeo dynasty  is Joseon, which many Korean dramas take place in. (Credit to my mom, I actually asked her about this yesterday :lol:)

As for clothes and  different dynasty, the fashion is quite similar with males and females wearing hanboks, but I'm pretty sure the design, accessory, material, etc changed over time. Of course rich people wore more beautiful clothing with designs and jewelry while the poor didn't wear so much of beautiful hanboks but low quality clothing. 

21 minutes ago, sakura2016 said:

cr: dorama_onlain

my heart broke in this scene watching Ban Ryu pushing Soo Yeo away from him telling her to run away from him being a bad guy but she was like me/us believing in his goodness which I believe what he needed to find himself again!! :tears: 

Sooyeon chose the perfect timing, just when he was on the edge she called him a good person, exactly what banryu needed at that moment, I just watched the raw episode and now I can understand his decision of helping hwarangs, he is just totally confused and his expression broke my heart when hwarangs were fighting the assassins and he was watching them fight (kudos to do ji han he is such a good actor!) I'm sorry banryu I said you have multiple personality disorder :tongue: sooyeon really brings the good out of him along with sooho (sometimes). can't wait for the subs because I don't understand half of the things they are saying :crazy: Imma gonna go and prepare a box of tissues because it looks like my baby's gonna cry tomorrow :tears: 

16776136_1466961129983300_129970516_o.pn

More than sure Jisoo killed her best friend,the Wolhwa because she knew something back then and killing her made her take all the blame and make JiSoo possible to accend as regent and make her son King leter on,that's why her brother despised her so much as well,for what she did then...Now i'm curious,is JiDwi really her son or did they changed them at birth without anyone knowing...What is quite certain is that the key to all of this is in the past and that SunWoo is the one who would have accended to throne...I think the one in the preview who is dressed up as Royal is JiSoo Brother based on his figure...Curious what will Sunwoo do to prevent Aro to become a Wolhwa...Jisoo made a HUGE mistake in respect of Sunwoo,she really doesn't know what she did,unlishing him...

1 hour ago, crazyyo said:

Sooyeon chose the perfect timing, just when he was on the edge she called him a good person, exactly what banryu needed at that moment, I just watched the raw episode and now I can understand his decision of helping hwarangs, he is just totally confused and his expression broke my heart when hwarangs were fighting the assassins and he was watching them fight (kudos to do ji han he is such a good actor!) I'm sorry banryu I said you have multiple personality disorder :tongue: sooyeon really brings the good out of him along with sooho (sometimes). can't wait for the subs because I don't understand half of the things they are saying :crazy: Imma gonna go and prepare a box of tissues because it looks like my baby's gonna cry tomorrow :tears: 

yes!! I was so happy when she told him that!! he really needed it!! and yes things will go full emotional tomorrow!! :tears: 

23 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

More than sure Jisoo killed her best friend,the Wolhwa because she knew something back then and killing her made her take all the blame and make JiSoo possible to accend as regent and make her son King leter on,that's why her brother despised her so much as well,for what she did then...Now i'm curious,is JiDwi really her son or did they changed them at birth without anyone knowing...What is quite certain is that the key to all of this is in the past and that SunWoo is the one who would have accended to throne...I think the one in the preview who is dressed up as Royal is JiSoo Brother based on his figure...Curious what will Sunwoo do to prevent Aro to become a Wolhwa...Jisoo made a HUGE mistake in respect of Sunwoo,she really doesn't know what she did,unlishing him...

yes I believe so but don't think Meak Jong was swiched at birth!! 

and yes she made her biggest mistake keeping him alife and getting him to be a Hwarang but that mistake is my GREATEST PLEASURE and what will ruin her life!! :naughty:

I want them to keep wearing this outfit!! :love: 

cr: official_koreandrama

and have more secret missions!! :tongue: 

37 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

Agreed. I think maybe Sun Woo was originally suppose to take the throne, but Ji So did something to make sure her son takes the throne and Sun Woo got castes out of the capital.

I doubt that SMJ was switched at birth though, but knowing this writer, who knows what the writer will throw at us... :sweatingbullets: If she does do something like that though, it'll be a makjang drama for sure...

21 minutes ago, sakura2016 said:

and yes she made her biggest mistake keeping him alife and getting him to be a Hwarang but that mistake is my GREATEST PLEASURE and what will ruin her life!! :naughty:

I think her mistake aside from keeping him alive was thinking she could control him and not see he was a wolf rather than a dog...Using Aro now to make her a Wolhwa,is her biggest mistake ever...She is indeed his biggest weak spot to name it like that,and what kept him tied up till now but it is also the drive to make him fight and that will unleash him,and she is so full of herself that she didn't even see that double sword she keep by her side thinking she is all that great....Seeing Sunwoo take her down will be my biggest pleasure in this drama,that women is pure evil and i'm feed up seeing her torment him for so long

Yeah,i doubt they were switched up,for a moment(blame the hundred dramas seen)i believed SunWoo is the real Jinheung yet i think he is more likely Jisoo's brother son...Tomorrow will be good!Now i'm kinda sad it isin't a 24 episode long show as there are still so many points that could be used and shown in a more complex way rather than rushed up one after another

6 hours ago, Yongzura said:

The link to the preview:

제18부 :: 화랑 :: 2월 14일 화요일

Thank you for the preview description. 

Honestly, I am a little frustrated with the drama. There's like 3 episodes left and Sam Maek Jong hasn't been revealed as king, yet and there's soo little time left and soo much needs to be explained. :confused: :neutral:

6 hours ago, crazyyo said:

I have seen manyyy people saying that sunwoo will be the king and I don;t understand why are people saying this :o Korean historical dramas have some laws and according to those laws they can NOT change the king of silla in drama lol King Jinhyeung is the king means SMJ will wear the crown and yes the question is WHEN! smj will be the king and sunwoo will be the leader of hwarangs (that's what I think the endings going to be)

I think people are saying this because of the way this drama has been unfolding and the big focus that is paid towards Sunwoo as opposed to SMJ/Jidwi.  I also thought a few episodes back that perhaps this drama was going to put a twist where the Faceless King (i.e., Jinheung) ends up being Sunwoo.  Because the reality is that Jinheung is being called the Faceless King in this drama.  That means that you can do a lot with it.  That being said, I agree that historical Kdramas generally do NOT change such serious historical facts, such as who becomes the king.  I don't think that historically Jinheung was a faceless king and for all that Kdrama writers love secret births and birth switches, Koreans are also extremely proud of their history and would not change the actual ascension.

I still believe that this drama was not written very well or managed well because Jinheung was a beloved historical figure and they are making him appear very weak.  I wonder if perhaps that is part of our (the viewers') disappointment in this series.  We know who is supposed to be king, the drama introduced Jidwi as Jinheung, we see aspects of Jidwi that we like and can sympathize with, and then they put all the focus elsewhere.  They build up Sunwoo as a natural leader, the fighter for the people (and who doesn't love a people's hero character?), and also make him sympathetic as well.

On a different note, just a nitpicky historical thing, but they are all technically kingdoms.  Silla was one of 3 separate kingdoms that co-existed during the Three Kingdoms Period, Silla on its own (aka Unified Silla) was also a kingdom, and Choseon is also a kingdom.  They were ruled by dynasties, but it's technically incorrect to refer to them as dynasties, i.e, the Choseon Dynasty. It was ruled by the Lee dynasty, but it's the Choseon kingdom or period.

41 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

I think her mistake aside from keeping him alive was thinking she could control him and not see he was a wolf rather than a dog...Using Aro now to make her a Wolhwa,is her biggest mistake ever...She is indeed his biggest weak spot to name it like that,and what kept him tied up till now but it is also the drive to make him fight and that will unleash him,and she is so full of herself that she didn't even see that double sword she keep by her side thinking she is all that great....Seeing Sunwoo take her down will be my biggest pleasure in this drama,that women is pure evil and i'm feed up seeing her torment him for so long

Yeah,i doubt they were switched up,for a moment(blame the hundred dramas seen)i believed SunWoo is the real Jinheung yet i think he is more likely Jisoo's brother son...Tomorrow will be good!Now i'm kinda sad it isin't a 24 episode long show as there are still so many points that could be used and shown in a more complex way rather than rushed up one after another

oh yeah!! you(re right and I'm going to enjoy every second of her fall :naughty:

yes!! and our dramas will soon end!! one week after tomorrow's episode!! :(

7 hours ago, Yongzura said:

The link to the preview:

제18부 :: 화랑 :: 2월 14일 화요일
2017-02-14(화)22:00 KBS 2TV
석현제는 석씨 가문을 다시 일으킬 욕심으로 단세에게 은밀한 지시를 내리고, 아로는 지소에게 자신은 절대 포기 하지 않을 것이라며 맞선다. 한편 삼맥종은 아로가 원화가 되었다는 사실을 듣고 고민에 빠지고, 지소의 계략에 분노하며 휘경공을 찾아간 선우는 그로부터 충격적인 이야기를 듣게 되는데...!

p.s In the video clip, did AR's father confessed to the Queen that SW is not his son, but his son's friend.

sorry for being late or if there was already a translation!!:sweatingbullets:

Han Sung's grandfather gives secret instructions to the ward with desire to raise Seok's family again, and Aro confronts the Queen that she will never give up. On the other hand, Meak Jong falls in distress when he heard that Aro has become a Wonhwa, and Sun Woo gets a shocking story when he visits Hyung Kyung being angry at the Queen's trick!!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh 1st slap for the evil Queen!! :w00t: :naughty:

12 hours ago, turtle0217 said:

Thank you for the preview description. 

Honestly, I am a little frustrated with the drama. There's like 3 episodes left and Sam Maek Jong hasn't been revealed as king, yet and there's soo little time left and soo much needs to be explained. :confused: :neutral:

Yes, I can understand that ... Just  finished watching it with subbed.. it will be another interesting episode tonight... 

Now, it is clear that SW/MM really has the right to sit on the throne [based on the Queen and her brother's conversation plus the Queen and AR's father's conversation] However, I believe SMJ will still be the King as in history.  I also believe SW/WW will rather use that "card" to free AR from the fate like the Queen has planned.  SW/MM will think about AR first than being a King.

20170214094504113.jpg

I can't believe of all the scenes yesterday, the scene between BR and SY is the most touching scene of all.  The "main star" for me last night is BR, he is in an internal conflict at the moment.  SY came at the right moment to tell him he is a good person and it moved his heart.  I love that BR was able to hear SH's reason for not telling him about their plan that night i.e not to let him get hurt.  Both brother and sister do play significant role in BR's life.

Spoiler

Can't help to post this... hope it will be tonight to see him revealed as the King!  Love both of them..

@sakura2016 thanks for the translation.  See you tonight KST, got to be ready to go to work :blush:

14 hours ago, Yongzura said:

Hide contents

Can't help to post this... hope it will be tonight to see him revealed as the King!  Love both of them.

Out of topic: What a coincidence! I was just listening to this cover after it was suggested by youtube, I was contemplating How sweet Park Hyung Sik can be :wub: , just to see that someone shared it in this thread ^^

1 hour ago, jechoi1 said:

I think people are saying this because of the way this drama has been unfolding and the big focus that is paid towards Sunwoo as opposed to SMJ/Jidwi.  I also thought a few episodes back that perhaps this drama was going to put a twist where the Faceless King (i.e., Jinheung) ends up being Sunwoo.  Because the reality is that Jinheung is being called the Faceless King in this drama.  That means that you can do a lot with it.  That being said, I agree that historical Kdramas generally do NOT change such serious historical facts, such as who becomes the king.  I don't think that historically Jinheung was a faceless king and for all that Kdrama writers love secret births and birth switches, Koreans are also extremely proud of their history and would not change the actual ascension.

I still believe that this drama was not written very well or managed well because Jinheung was a beloved historical figure and they are making him appear very weak.  I wonder if perhaps that is part of our (the viewers') disappointment in this series.  We know who is supposed to be king, the drama introduced Jidwi as Jinheung, we see aspects of Jidwi that we like and can sympathize with, and then they put all the focus elsewhere.  They build up Sunwoo as a natural leader, the fighter for the people (and who doesn't love a people's hero character?), and also make him sympathetic as well.

On a different note, just a nitpicky historical thing, but they are all technically kingdoms.  Silla was one of 3 separate kingdoms that co-existed during the Three Kingdoms Period, Silla on its own (aka Unified Silla) was also a kingdom, and Choseon is also a kingdom.  They were ruled by dynasties, but it's technically incorrect to refer to them as dynasties, i.e, the Choseon Dynasty. It was ruled by the Lee dynasty, but it's the Choseon kingdom or period.

Actually to note, you are right about Silla being apart of the Three Kingdoms, but the three kingdoms were Silla, Goguryeo, and Baekje. The Joseon Dynasty was way way after this time period. Korea didn't enter the Joseon Dynasty untill about the 1300's.

but yeah I do agree that the drama could possibly have a twist because I feel as the writer is really hinting that Moo Myung could possibly take the throne..

But the writer hasn't been following history exactly as we can see :sweatingbullets: In history, King Jinheung didn't stay faceless as long as Sam maek jong is in the drama... it is more like Queen Ji so became and stayed as regent until Jinheung was old enough to take the throne

Ok i think episode 17 is most about acceptance... Sun Woo's acceptance for Ji Dwi's true will... Using men's way... One on one punch that made them understanding each other better:)

Then Banryu's acceptance toward himself ... That he is not a bad guy... And decide to choose his friends over the evil stepdad

Then Master We Hwa acceptance for Sun Woo's capability as he asked him to accompany Ji Dwi for solving hard situation... Really like it... He even took sun woo's order to make himself as bait despite his griping toward this gaesae (in funny way as always:D)

And Sun Woo i hate you... Really really hate you:angry:... Can't you just hold and kiss your love while saying you're okay and everything's fine? What's the wonwha angst thing to do with your behaviour toward her? Can anyone explain this to me? Sun Woo you better apologize and give her thousand kisses next episode-_-... Umm no just one is enough... We just have one hour anyway:D

Can anyone explain whether the Queen meeting SMJ in the throne room is part of her dreams or it's reality?

Is it just me but the Queen's lady-in-waiting is always offering a tea whenever there's a chance, and her eyes always blinks uneasily. She's the poisoner?

Yeo Woo The Wise finally pin point the fact that SW's fainting spell is serious and his health must have some underlying problem. 

Oh man...imagine if Moo Myung really took the throne. That would completely throw off history, but I am positive the writer won't be that mean to SMJ :lol: On a happy note, I'm very excited for what's in store tomorrow! Judging by the preview, Moo Myung's background may FINALLY be revealed!!! THE MOMENT WE ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FORRRR!  *crosses fingers* 

Ban Ryu's scene was funny when he was drunk :joy: I've never seen that side to him before. I'm so glad that Ban Ryu helped them! Soo Yeon knows that he has a good heart. Ban Ryu would never have malicious intentions especially now that he's really changed. My favorite scene today was the scene between him and SY. It was an emotional and touching scene.  I really do love the pairing of these two :wub: 

I also noticed I see the Queen wearing something other than her usual costume :lol: 

Archived