[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

Finished Episode 2 and oh boy, this episode was a tear-jerker. I admit I did tear up when Mak Moon died, especially in front of his own father and his one and only friend. I already commented about his death and I like how they focused on his death and really brought the emotions, cheers to Lee Kwang Soo acting out his death and I think he did such a fabulous job. Just the small words he made after he got stab, telling his friend to be quiet, to live, and even in the final scene where he held his friend's hand one more time and looked at him before taking his last breath. Really props to Lee Kwang Soo to portraying all of these emotions and I really felt like Park Seo Joon and Kwang Soo brought out the emotions of their character and you can really feel what they were feeling. (I personally love Lee Kwang Soo not only because of him in running man but because he has so much potentially to be an amazing actor but he never gets the chance to showcase it, except in small cameos, although he has a big role in Entourage)

Also Sam Maek Jong. His character is so mysterious and I have so many questions running through my head about him, such as, why has he been hidden away all this time if he's King? How come he doesn't take back his throne? Why is the Queen so determined to delay him from coming back to the Palace? And so many other questions about him. I'm the most curious about his character and why he turned out the way he is now (except for that small flashback we got of him when he was young but even then, it's still a mystery).... I think I ranted enough about Park Hyung Sik so I'll set that aside haha..

Now the storyline is truly beginning with the gathering of the Hwarangs. I am so excited to see all the guys together and see how they become Hwarang, the process of becoming one, and each of their reasons in becoming one~ The sword scene with Maek Jong and Moo Myung broke my heart because I really want to see bromance between the two of them :wub: Aside from the love triangle, I'm really excited to see their bromance as well ^^ and all the other Hwarang's bromance too :) Now that Episode 2 is over, the wait for Episode 3 begins.. Excuse me while I go re-watch all my favorite scenes and watch the previews and small spoilers they gave over and over again.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

a moment that made me laugh and cry at the same time!! who knew things will turn this way!! :bawling: 

off to sleep now!! see you soon hopefully!! :wub: 

This scene made me laugh too but at the same time it was so sad because it was a flashback to the past when they were happy and Mak Moon had hopes to meeting his family, especially his sister, to Moo Myung :bawling:

On 20.12.2016 at 6:58 PM, sakura2016 said:

the good side of loving both male leads is enjoying both of their interactions with the female lead but the bad part is that I'll feel sad for both of them and espacially Moo Myung (Parok Seo Joon) when they'll be hurt but I'll enjoy my fun time before the angst time comes my way!! :D:wub: 

Lol. The same here. I love both characters of SeoJoon and Myungsik. I am enjoying the love triangle fairly.

On 20.12.2016 at 7:21 PM, sakura2016 said:

so Moo Myung will take his friend's real birth name "Son Woo" but will that make him Ah Ro's brother in front of the people?!! :blink: 

and what does the green ligne mean?!! and the blue ligne?!! what relation have Ah Ro's father to the Queen?!! :blink: 

AhRo and Maek jong are step siblings?? Didn't see the line except the love line. No incest please

0000934513_001_20161220230943108.jpg

hwarang1.png

v Report - Naver: 'Hwarang' Lee Kwangsoo dies, Park Seo Joon♥ Go Ara fate begins... Hwarang gathered

1. [+1,495, -88] Episode 2 feels a lot more organized than episode 1~ Can't wait for next week

2. [+1,105, -101] Wow.. fun drama

3. [+926, -67] The song in the end~ Don't leave me~~~~~~ Why did it so fast? The directing in the ending is so good!!!

4. [+869, -62] They're all good at acting, totally exceeded expectations

5. [+853, -61] Really can't wait for the next episode.. Such a fun drama ㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+284, -17] Am I the only one who's more excited for the bromance than the actual love line?

7. [+254, -14] Rooting for Park Hyung Shik and Go Ara ㅠㅠBut looks like they won't end up together

201612202230101114_1.jpg

Mydaily - Nate: `Hwarang', Lee Kwangsoo exits after excellent performance 

1. [+238, -47] Today's so fun~

2. [+229, -56] Today's episode was actually funㅋㅋ This drama makes me realize how cool Park Seo Joon and Park Hyung Shik are ㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+213, -32] This scene was so sad ㅠㅠ The son dies just when the dad finally finds him ㅠㅠ

4. [+20, -5] Cringing so hard at Park Hyung Shik's acting..

5. [+19, -6] Really liking Hwarang so far!

6. [+16, -4] Kwangsoo's variety image is more prominent because of Running Man but he's pretty good at acting too  ㅋㅋ

7. [+14, -2] Episode 1 was boring, but the story picked up in episode 2. I'm sure it will get better from her on..

The second episode is definitely better than the pilot, it has more introductions of the leads. I love the motivation and tension between two male leads, it might be a rivalry/revenge that will turn into long-lasting friendship/mutual respect when they finally join Hwarang with the other young men. Kwang Soo is also a great actor, although he was just a cameo, he's important to the story. I must admit, I was annoyed by his character since he's 'useless' in the pilot, but I still cried when he's gone...his background story is really sad...turns out, Mak Moon is separated from his dad, who is once a high-ranking man, but he lost his ranking when he's married to a peasant. Both are searching for each other all this time, with the necklace as the main clue. Mak Moon is Ah Ro's brother, and when they finally met, it's when Mak Moon is dying...oh my goodness, it's too heart breaking...but it's a very strong foundation for Moo Myung to join Hwarang though.

I can't read Chinese and my Korean is limited, but based on the relationship chart posted above, I assume Moo Myung would take Mak Moon's real name and high-ranking clothes with Mak Moon's father's blessing to get through the city gate to 'get even' with Mak Moon's killer and eventually join Hwarang to achieve that. This might make Ah Ro and him siblings in name, but I think they will hide this fact when both are in Hwarang, I mean...I can understand distant cousins get paired since it's normal at that time, but incest when people around them consider both as 'real siblings'? Nuh-uh, no-no, they must be looked down upon!

Sam Maek Jong is hidden because the Queen (I assume she's the First Queen) wanted the throne to become his, and hide him so that no one would harm him until the day comes. I still don't understand why didn't she kept him in palace though, does staying in the palace more dangerous than living like nomads? And my theory is that he decided to join Hwarang to spite his mother. By the way, I noticed a trend...(or is it?), almost all sageuk drama this year has high ranking male character with mommy issues. Are Goryeo or Joseon that harsh for high ranking men?

Personally, I'm curious about Banryu. Suho said he has a step father, from the relationship chart, it's the chief minister (I think his position is chief minister), so...what was he before he's chief minister's step son? And I kinda hope the chief minister isn't a manipulative one and manipulate Banryu to get what he wanted. Hansung too, but this is because his screen time is so little, I want to know where he came from and what is his motivation to join Hwarang. And the other one...Yeo Wool? He's nowhere to be found in this episode, maybe he'd be in episode three. :)

Can't wait for next week! I hope I see more Ah Ro too, her screen time felt like fleeting this time, so little and short!

8 hours ago, ferily said:

Finished Episode 2 and oh boy, this episode was a tear-jerker. I admit I did tear up when Mak Moon died, especially in front of his own father and his one and only friend. I already commented about his death and I like how they focused on his death and really brought the emotions, cheers to Lee Kwang Soo acting out his death and I think he did such a fabulous job. Just the small words he made after he got stab, telling his friend to be quiet, to live, and even in the final scene where he held his friend's hand one more time and looked at him before taking his last breath. Really props to Lee Kwang Soo to portraying all of these emotions and I really felt like Park Seo Joon and Kwang Soo brought out the emotions of their character and you can really feel what they were feeling. (I personally love Lee Kwang Soo not only because of him in running man but because he has so much potentially to be an amazing actor but he never gets the chance to showcase it, except in small cameos, although he has a big role in Entourage)

Also Sam Maek Jong. His character is so mysterious and I have so many questions running through my head about him, such as, why has he been hidden away all this time if he's King? How come he doesn't take back his throne? Why is the Queen so determined to delay him from coming back to the Palace? And so many other questions about him. I'm the most curious about his character and why he turned out the way he is now (except for that small flashback we got of him when he was young but even then, it's still a mystery).... I think I ranted enough about Park Hyung Sik so I'll set that aside haha..

Now the storyline is truly beginning with the gathering of the Hwarangs. I am so excited to see all the guys together and see how they become Hwarang, the process of becoming one, and each of their reasons in becoming one~ The sword scene with Maek Jong and Moo Myung broke my heart because I really want to see bromance between the two of them :wub: Aside from the love triangle, I'm really excited to see their bromance as well ^^ and all the other Hwarang's bromance too :) Now that Episode 2 is over, the wait for Episode 3 begins.. Excuse me while I go re-watch all my favorite scenes and watch the previews and small spoilers they gave over and over again.

both Park Seo Joon and Lee Kwang Soo did a great job in showing us how much they loved and cared for each other, without even the need for words their actions spoke of thand bon they had and when they said it in words through Son Woo's death scene that was heartwrenching!! every word and act they did all along from the second Moo Myung asked him to run awy till Son Woo's last breath (an even when Moo Myung returned to his grave) made me cry like a baby!! they were brothers not only friends!! :bawling: 

as I understood Sam Maek Jong needed to be in a hide from those after his head!! there is many traitor inside and outside of the palace who wants him dead like they killed his father and to get rid of the Queen and she needs to make sure to protect his position for her to remain the King's mother and stay with power!! 

yes I want bromance between them but don't know how we will reach that with the love triangle in between and Sam Maek Jong being the king who Moo Myung lost his friend only because he saw his face!! :blink: but we will have a lot of bromance moment for sure with all the Hwarang worriors and looks like Moo Myung is going to be their admirable hyung!! :wub: 

7 hours ago, amone said:

Lol. The same here. I love both characters of SeoJoon and Myungsik. I am enjoying the love triangle fairly.

AhRo and Maek jong are step siblings?? Didn't see the line except the love line. No incest please

I hope so too!! 

9 hours ago, ferily said:

This scene made me laugh too but at the same time it was so sad because it was a flashback to the past when they were happy and Mak Moon had hopes to meeting his family, especially his sister, to Moo Myung :bawling:

:bawling: 

7 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

That makes lead and second lead, female lead, and second female lead n kwang soo - all brothers and sisters :)

it's complicated!! :blink: I can take Moo Myung and Sam Maek Jong being siblings but don't want the female lead to be related by blood to any of them!!

6 hours ago, MiAmour said:

v Report - Naver: 'Hwarang' Lee Kwangsoo dies, Park Seo Joon♥ Go Ara fate begins... Hwarang gathered

Spoiler

1. [+1,495, -88] Episode 2 feels a lot more organized than episode 1~ Can't wait for next week

2. [+1,105, -101] Wow.. fun drama

3. [+926, -67] The song in the end~ Don't leave me~~~~~~ Why did it so fast? The directing in the ending is so good!!!

4. [+869, -62] They're all good at acting, totally exceeded expectations

5. [+853, -61] Really can't wait for the next episode.. Such a fun drama ㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+284, -17] Am I the only one who's more excited for the bromance than the actual love line?

7. [+254, -14] Rooting for Park Hyung Shik and Go Ara ㅠㅠBut looks like they won't end up together

Mydaily - Nate: `Hwarang', Lee Kwangsoo exits after excellent performance 

Spoiler

1. [+238, -47] Today's so fun~

2. [+229, -56] Today's episode was actually funㅋㅋ This drama makes me realize how cool Park Seo Joon and Park Hyung Shik are ㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+213, -32] This scene was so sad ㅠㅠ The son dies just when the dad finally finds him ㅠㅠ

4. [+20, -5] Cringing so hard at Park Hyung Shik's acting..

5. [+19, -6] Really liking Hwarang so far!

6. [+16, -4] Kwangsoo's variety image is more prominent because of Running Man but he's pretty good at acting too  ㅋㅋ

7. [+14, -2] Episode 1 was boring, but the story picked up in episode 2. I'm sure it will get better from her on..

thank you for sharing chingu!! :wub: I'm happy to see positive response to the drama!! :D

9 hours ago, amone said:

Omg wait Aro and Maek Jong are step siblings? Rip my Aro and Maek Jong ship.... it sunk even before the loveline started.... I always had a feeling deep down that Aro wouldn't end up him MJ anyways since he's also the king. :bawling: Does anyone else ship them instead of Moo Myung and Aro?

8 hours ago, shiraru said:

I can't read Chinese and my Korean is limited, but based on the relationship chart posted above, I assume Moo Myung would take Mak Moon's real name and high-ranking clothes with Mak Moon's father's blessing to get through the city gate to 'get even' with Mak Moon's killer and eventually join Hwarang to achieve that. This might make Ah Ro and him siblings in name, but I think they will hide this fact when both are in Hwarang, I mean...I can understand distant cousins get paired since it's normal at that time, but incest when people around them consider both as 'real siblings'? Nuh-uh, no-no, they must be looked down upon!

yes it looks like that!! 

I don't know much about Silla time but in Goryeo time they get married to have siblings as I saw in other sageuk dramas is it different in Silla time?!! not that I'm with half siblings getting married (it's a no no for me) but I'm talking about their position if they want to be together without outing who he really is!! hmmm

8 hours ago, shiraru said:

Sam Maek Jong is hidden because the Queen (I assume she's the First Queen) wanted the throne to become his, and hide him so that no one would harm him until the day comes. I still don't understand why didn't she kept him in palace though, does staying in the palace more dangerous than living like nomads? And my theory is that he decided to join Hwarang to spite his mother. By the way, I noticed a trend...(or is it?), almost all sageuk drama this year has high ranking male character with mommy issues. Are Goryeo or Joseon that harsh for high ranking men?

the palace is full of unknown traitors and Sam Maek Jong staying there would mean his death!! he can be poisoned or killed at his sleep with no one being able to protect him since there would be traitors in every form: bodygards, eunches, the ones preparing his food even those testing his food to make sure it's safe can be traitors so him staying away would keep him from being recognised and killed!! 

he knows that she wants Hawarang for herself/her greed for power and by being part of them she can't use them as she please behind his back and it would be his 1st step into gaining more knowledge over kingdome and the palace!! hahaha

and I think not only Goryeo and Joseon but in every kingdome the Crown Prences or other Princes do suffer because of the fight over the throne and power and conspiracies from the closest people to them (mother, father, siblings) is part of their burdening fate!! 

9 hours ago, shiraru said:

Personally, I'm curious about Banryu. Suho said he has a step father, from the relationship chart, it's the chief minister (I think his position is chief minister), so...what was he before he's chief minister's step son? And I kinda hope the chief minister isn't a manipulative one and manipulate Banryu to get what he wanted. Hansung too, but this is because his screen time is so little, I want to know where he came from and what is his motivation to join Hwarang. And the other one...Yeo Wool? He's nowhere to be found in this episode, maybe he'd be in episode three. :)

I doubt we willl have any decent official in the palace so I won't hope for Ban Ryu to be one!! they all wants the Queen out and most likely her son Sam Maek Jong dead to be able to take the power from her hands!! 

I'm waiting for all the bromance when they'l all join Hwarang!! :D and we will know more about them little by little!! can't wait for that!! :D 

cr: owner

my heart droped for a minute while i was all "it's a mistake...mistake...mistake..." and then I remembered Sam Maek Jong is a King and he can't remain a Hwarang warrior forever so we will have 5 Hwarang warriors+1 King with no one dying!! *breathingoutalongbreath*

22 minutes ago, sakura2016 said:

my heart droped for a minute while i was all "it's a mistake...mistake...mistake..." and then I remembered Sam Maek Jong is a King and he can't remain a Hwarang warrior forever so we will have 5 Hwarang warriors+1 King with no one dying!! *breathingoutalongbreath*

i hope you're right about it. but i have a bad feeling about Hansung because of his grandfather. based on Hansung's storyline and characterization, he is smarter/better version of Wang Eun (Moon Lovers). and his grandfather probably actually plans to make Hansung into a king.

i'm hoping for everyone to live, but Hansung's storyline seems to be so similar to Wang Eun. D=

Dramabeans recap of Hwarang!! :wub:

DRAMA RECAPS
Hwarang: Episode 1
by LollyPip | December 20, 2016 | 134 Comments

Hwarang01-00779a.jpg

The newest installation from the Oh Boy Project (makers of the Flower Boy franchise) takes us all the way back to ancient Silla, when a nervous queen regent hatched a plan to build a loyal force of soldiers to protect a young king. The premiere sets the stage for a fun yet nerve-wracking adventure, as our heroes and heroine attempt to navigate a world where social status is everything. There’s a lot of information to cover and a lot of characters to introduce, so let’s jump right in!

28_hwarang1.jpg

EPISODE 1 RECAP

read here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/12/hwarang-episode-1/

7 minutes ago, louisawatson said:

i hope you're right about it. but i have a bad feeling about Hansung because of his grandfather. based on Hansung's storyline and characterization, he is smarter/better version of Wang Eun (Moon Lovers). and his grandfather probably actually plans to make Hansung into a king.

i'm hoping for everyone to live, but Hansung's storyline seems to be so similar to Wang Eun. D=

from what I read his character is a bright and innocent young man so that made me worried since being innocent isn't the best description for a warrior and made me feel as he will need more protection than Sam Maek Jong himself will need but I want to believe that he will have many hyungs to keep him safe from harm if anything was to go wrong!! please show I suffered thanks to Scarlet Heart like I never suffered before fearing the death of the princes (Baek Ah, Wang Jung ans Wang Eun namely since Wang Soo is known not going to die as the to be King and Wang Wook wanted to be part of the fight over the throne and then hated him) and witnessing the death of the 10th prince Wang Eun was heartwrenching, please let's not go there and let's keep them ALL safe and sound!! Fighting!! 

Archived